/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread: [embed] [embed]

Attached: 1511707787083.jpg (572x714, 32K)

Other urls found in this thread:

distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=manjaro
notabug.org/dimkr/devsus
linuxliveusb.com/
github.com/selivan/thinclient
github.com/mf-luder/flactrack
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Makepkg#Building_optimized_binaries
askubuntu.com/a/208230
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

FIRSSTTTTTTT

Manjaro

Attached: 1537608629306.png (820x440, 95K)

Stallman wouldnt use facetime.
Stupid freetards

are window managers without a full DE reliable?

It really happened IDIOT

Yeah. Typically you install the equivalent of a DE when you use one but you could use a WM alone with something like rofi just fine.

No, thats a photoshopped old pic from like 2015 where a black guy stole his moms phone and kept facetiming him saying he was his dad now. They eventually found the phone later after the black guy tried to pawn it and the pawn guy called the cops cause they reported it stolen and locked the phone down

Welcome to /fmt/ - Friendly Manjaro thread

Click this link or your motherboard will die in your sleep tonight.

distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=manjaro

Attached: 1513634804168.png (936x480, 600K)

So I'm back on Arch again. I feel like this is the ultimate comfy distro for me.

It's so much more satisfying coming back to arch after learning more about linux.

Wow you must work for KnowYourMeme. EPIC.

Hi everyone, newfag here I'm on an Ubuntu machine pretending to install Devuan in an asus c201 chromebook laptop, for that, I was advised to use a script called devsus script:notabug.org/dimkr/devsus
Im trying to run the script with sudo ./devsus.sh but no downloads start and get the picture related in the terminal. Do i need to run the script on a Devuan machine? What can I do to install Devuan easily (graphic)?

Attached: 1541192082426.png (639x233, 47K)

It's just a silly joke why do lintards take everything so seriously?

Apparently there is a lot I don't know due o ramped Mac and Windows use. Still kind of confusing but with some time I'm sure I'll understand

CHOOSE

Naked pucci wife
or
4 year old Thinkpad

Internets is serious business

>I'm on an Ubuntu machine pretending to install Devuan
You're not even in a VM?

>What can I do to install Devuan easily (graphic)?
Use the stock installer pic related. Either in a VM or on the metal.

Where did you get the idea that all of this weird shit was necessary?

Attached: 1527056143848.png (819x436, 111K)

>68332888
Okay so if it's GNOME, KDE, &, XFCE tat are the guts of the system and the distro like "Arch" is the shell that does the shell do if the desktop environment does everything? Or do I have that wrong?

That*

is wife feminine penis

What the fuck are you talking about? Desktop Environments are the guts of an OS? They are your facial features, size of your hands, the clothes you wear, your friends, your family, etc. Not your guts.

So I had it backwards then, so the DE is like how it looks like Windows vs Mac setups?

veri gud.

Attached: india.png (242x308, 173K)

*gnu/lintard

Should I switch to debian as a scrub? Performance wise xubuntu is perfect but I hate that fucking mouse symbol and hate that ubuntu logo pops up when I hit screenfetch. That's all the reasons I want to switch. Is debian any more difficult to use?

Debian shows the autism swirl though.
Just lern 2 edit screenfetch, breh.

Wrong way around. DE is the (somewhat) superficial abstraction of the shell.

How do I get rid of the shadow around my conky?
Left is my compton config and right is conky
I tried everything and it refuses to work
xwininfo gives me
xwininfo: Window id: 0x1800001 (has no name)

Attached: 2018-11-02-1541211527.png (1920x1080, 1.17M)

what i was thinking is to burn the arm Devuan image in an usb from the ubuntu machine with the dd command then install Devuan in a separate asus c201 arm chromebook laptop. I found this idea in the irc of libreboot, they advised me to do that.

Oh and I'm using the tryone compton fork for blurring

Core of the system is the type of booster, disc fomat and motherboard. Then the OS, then file system and then finally the graphical appearances you just listed

So I just got a new NVMe SSD for my Desktop PC, and I was planning on installing a distro on it. I already have Windows 10 running on my older SSD inside the PC now, and I'm planning on using the NVMe as a secondary boot option.

I'm just pondering whether or not to instead clone Windows 10 onto the newer 970 EVO I just bought, and put the distro on my old SSD, because I'm assuming Windows 10 benefits a fair bit more from SSD performance than GNU/Linux. I can't abandon Windows either because I need access to certain proprietary software for work-related purposes (mainly Photoshop) but I plan on keeping my internet browsing on GNU/Linus. Any suggestions?

while we are on the topic who has the most aesthetic logo in gnu+linux?

Will it not boot from USB?

Of the common ones, I would say Fedora.

ubuntu systemd

To all people looking for a music player on the console, consider using MOC. Is easy af and can play music even when you close it. Also, it looks damn cool.

Attached: Music On Console.png (1280x720, 50K)

bitstream or dejavu

the problem is that there is no image for the chromebookc201 in the official mirrors and the devsus script is the only way for my device.
I was searching and i found an older image available for my device it boots and only give me the terminal with root access and no nice installation menu

Attached: Screenshot 2018-11-02 at 20.51.53.png (618x565, 104K)

What is the common opinion on Slackware

Is there a program I can use to extract text from an image file so I can copy it to a text file?

You want an OCR reader.

Just open it with text editor

here is the mirror with my device (chromeveyron.img.xz)

Attached: Screenshot 2018-11-02 at 21.10.08.png (658x406, 86K)

cheked

I've been trying to install Fedora 29 or Manjaro 18 and all I get after booting off the usb is a blinking cursor on black screen after a bunch of [OK] scroll by. Any idea what's going on? google isn't any help. I've tried 2 different usb drives and I checksum the iso's before burning to ensure the data was not corrupted.

What program are you using to make them?

GNU/Linux newfag here, I installed Mint on my Thinkpad over Windows 10, and it seems to take a fair bit longer to boot. Is this normal, or am I meant to take further steps to optimize the system for SSD?

Windows 10 wasn't actually shutting down, it was hibernating. Compare resume from hibernate times.

I used fedora media writer for fedora and I used rufus 3.3 for manjaro

On Windows I've had the best luck with Lili

linuxliveusb.com/

>using neon green

thanks, I will try this out and report back, hopefully from Linux

is there a easy way to make a netboot image running linux that does things instead of just for installing? could just use usb sticks but this seems like a better option

What do you guys use to split flacs using cue files?

Didn't work. I got a new piece of info though. Have no idea what it means

Attached: 20181102_220603.jpg (4032x1295, 2.89M)

Most PXE infra other than installer bootmenus just loads a kernel which then mounts root over NFS, because up until recently anything with a gig of RAM was a workstation in its own right. That how LTSP works. There's this one github project that actually does what you want:

github.com/selivan/thinclient

Maybe a bios setting.

cool thanks

What's the analogue to the ln -s for the contents of the files?

Suppose I have picrel. It is automatically generated when I run wal.

I want to export these colors to Conky's config, so they change when I generate a new theme.

Something akin to #include[/code}

Attached: 2018-11-03-07:29:53-screenshot.png (545x777, 77K)

I wrote a shell script for this a couple of years ago.

It was my first foray into shell scripting, git, and the various digital audio stuff involved, so pls no bully. I use it occasionally and it seems to work as intended, but I'm not sure that anyone else has ever noticed it.

github.com/mf-luder/flactrack

How do you feel about Distrowatch?

What's the longest sequence of repeating bytes you can get from /dev/urandon or getrandom()? I've ran some loops in Python and 4 is the longest sequence of consecutive bytes I've found. I guess every byte you add decreases the odds by some number (haven't done the math), but could you in theory get nothing but hundreds of null bytes?

Good when I didn't know the real differences between distros and thought looks were all there is. Better when you learn to use the search engine with the options.

I once got a grammatically correct sentence of Russian in UTF-8 out of it. Scared the piss out of a Russian guy in the IRC channel I was dumping to.

hey Jow Forums, i have question about TRIM on SSD, i have dual booted with Windows 7 and my partition look like this:

/dev/sda1 => windows 7 bootloder
/dev/sda2 => C: partition windows 7
/dev/sda3 => D: partition
/dev/sda4 => Manjaro linux

so the question is should i enable trim on windows 7 and manjaro together or enable trim only on manjaro and simply mounted all partition from manjaro and then run fstrim --all for trimming all partition once a week?

IIRC the TRIM command just sends the drive a list of known free blocks. Windows should handle its own partitions and TRIM.

>non-printable characters/non-characters
>irc
Huh?

Most clients will spit out whatever byte streams you feed them. That's basically how DCC works.

Is there any bar(or anything similar) that can be set up as picrel?

Attached: 2018-11-03-08:28:55-screenshot.png (313x476, 31K)

It's not bad, but you gotta tinker around for a bit to get the whole QOL parts sorted out. Make sure Synaptic package manager is already installed and use that to help find the stuff you need.

If you're asking what software you can use to display info on your desktop like has been done in your image, the answer is conky. If that's not your question, you should clarify your question.

I want a linux distro that is
1)Lightweight
2)[spoiler]Doesn’t have either a stupid made up name of a stupid name[/spoiler]
I believe this is impossible

all names are made up

void

Which do you prefer, Devuan or MX?

Thanks, I’ll install it tomorrow

I have X220 and Void Linux 4.18.16_2 x86_64. Sometimes trackpoint and trackpoint buttons don't work, they don't appear in xinput. They work after reboot. What should I do?

Just did a systemd-analyze blame for seeing what's delaying boot and it happens I have

ntpdate.service 18s

The time sync service at boot is taking 18s to start. Any reason for that?

left side: -march=native
right side: -march=haswell

my CPU is i5-4460
what makes for these differences and which options should I choose?
I need to set the flags explicitly because of distcc

Attached: VirtualBox_nomulti_03_11_2018_11_03_50.png (1024x768, 21K)

use -haswell, it has specific cpu instructions that are optimal for it. Use -mtune=haswell too

>Use -mtune=haswell too
is set automatically, no matter if -march=native or -march=haswell is set.

Attached: VirtualBox_nomulti_03_11_2018_11_14_21.png (1024x768, 21K)

>no matter if -march=native or -march=haswell is set.
No. march=generic is set if nothing is specified. mtune is also not implied and set to generic.

I just posted the output of gcc -march=native -Q --help=target and it spits out -march=haswell -mtune=haswell, but a few other flags change compared to gcc -march=haswell -Q --help=target

why does gparted show different value for size of a partition than space checker or steam? first shows 3.06 GiB while two latter say its 2.4GiB

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Makepkg#Building_optimized_binaries
>Note: If you specify different value than -march=native, then -Q --help=target will not work as expected.[5] You need to go through a compilation phase to find out which options are really enabled. See Find CPU-specific options on Gentoo wiki for instructions.
huh

This is still a problem I experience..

Calibre *ALWAYS* triggers it.
And it spreads to
- Telegram
- Megasync

and doesn't affect any other program.
It always goes away with reboot UNTIL Calibre triggers it again

Its fucking driving me nuts.

Attached: file.png (1762x937, 196K)

I need something that may look like Conky.
I spawn it when I need the information that is displayed in the picture.
It goes above all the other windows.

All the alternatives that I'm aware of are some type of a bar, which is not optimal for my set up.

i want to install ungoogled chromium but I's not listed in the repository for me and the downloadable bins and appimage dont work. pls help

How in the FUCK do you configure mice in this stupid as fuck OS, and how has nobody fixed it by now?

Using KDE, mouse acceleration profile None, mouse is still moving way too fast.

xinput profile for my mouse doesn't have Device Accel Constant Deceleration, gives "property 'Device Accel Constant Deceleration' doesn't exist, you need to specify its type and format" if I try to set it.

Doing it with the coordinate transformation apparently also doesn't work, when I input 'xinput set-prop "Coordinate Transformation Matrix" 0.333, 0, 0, 0, 0.333, 0, 0, 0, 1' it throws "X Error of failed request: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)"

I want to fucking throw my computer at a wall. How the shit do I change my mouse speed and/or deceleration?

Have you restarted your system after making the changes? Usually works for me.

Type "mouse acceleration" into the Arch wiki.

Lists exactly the things I'm doing. As an addition, xset appears to have no effect.

The changes aren't happening, they're throwing errors.

Oh shit. user with the laptop from hell here. I woke up my laptop just yet, and the screen was artifacting for a second before it went back to normal.

Tip of the day: Don't buy Samsung laptops.

AFAIK ntfs-3g doesn't even support discard, so fstrim won't touch it either way.

Are you using Wayland?

askubuntu.com/a/208230
Use the id of the property.

I agree that the mouse shit is annoying, I honestly suggest you buy a G502, configure it in windows to have lot's of different DPIs, set it to save settings to the mouses on board memory.
That way you never have to worry about sensitivity in any OS ever again.

Meant for

kek
underrated