Why does this cancer keep spreading? Is there literally nothing that can stop it?

Why does this cancer keep spreading? Is there literally nothing that can stop it?

Attached: SYSTEMD-e1434229775958.gif (1968x639, 40K)

Other urls found in this thread:

theregister.co.uk/2018/10/26/systemd_dhcpv6_rce/
theregister.co.uk/2017/06/29/systemd_pwned_by_dns_query/
cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-7971/product_id-38088/Freedesktop-Systemd.html
suckless.org/sucks/systemd
serverfault.com/questions/755818/systemd-using-4gb-ram-after-18-days-of-uptime
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=systemd-2017-Git-Activity
web.archive.org/web/20170724100245/https://muchweb.me/systemd-nsa-attempt/
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd
bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/ source/systemd/ bug/1795921?fbclid=IwAR3_wVdR0yJHiSf47wk8Y4QOrceW1NqTWHaSnB9l8hWZDXDWBdhrfIwPOLA
github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/6369
github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/6237
usn.ubuntu.com/3341-1/
github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/5644
openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2017/01/24/4
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/How_to_remove_systemd_from_a_Debian_Stretch_installation
mxlinux.org/
devuan.org/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Not when it's backed by big corps

debian founder wanted to stop it, but was get buy CIA niggers

Attached: img_26.jpg (600x437, 68K)

No he didn't.

He was an insane alcoholic schizo that got raped by female cops and killed himself but even he knew that systemd was good software.

>>>/bowlingalley/

>Why does this cancer keep spreading?
Because from a user's perspective it's actually pretty good. The problems with SystemD are architectural, and impact system developers instead.

An herod because of systemd

Attached: ian_murdocker10.jpg (930x698, 146K)

I like my computer booting up quickly, and it 'just wurks'

Audit it and find something nefarious, otherwise you're just a tinfoil hat wearing faggot,

Devuan.

Devuan boots as fast or faster than any systemd distro.

>An herod because of systemd
He did it all for a girl...

Attached: debramurdock.jpg (191x263, 4K)

Just a few weeks ago there was a systemd "vulnerability", cba to go fetch it right now

The D in Systemd stands for 'Dammmmit!' A nasty DHCPv6 packet can pwn a vulnerable Linux box:
theregister.co.uk/2018/10/26/systemd_dhcpv6_rce/

Don't panic, but Linux's Systemd can be pwned via an evil DNS query:
theregister.co.uk/2017/06/29/systemd_pwned_by_dns_query/

cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-7971/product_id-38088/Freedesktop-Systemd.html

Attached: pottering.png (640x480, 127K)

t. CIA nigger

NSA nigger detected.

>DHCPv6
>used by literally nobody
lmaoing @ ur life

Microkernels. Microkernels can fix this. Take the seL4 pill.

Attached: Bob_Ross_Nuke.jpg (309x400, 30K)

Microkernels are only good for getting papers published.

>raped by female cops
hot

sel4 is a botnet. use openbsd

Yes, your system failing to boot never affects users. Got it.

There is, you probably just don't prefer that outcome to systemd.

Attached: ted operating system.png (857x2200, 1.4M)

>Is there literally nothing that can stop it?

ya, make something better and ge tit corporate sponsered and shilled out the ass.

There already was something better. Even now there still is something better. All we need is the corporate push for it, but that won't happen because the software is actually good and corps only push crapware.

and that is what exactly?

She shoved a baton up his ass hole.

more like lmaoing @ scope creep.

still hot

Attached: 1536030470868.jpg (480x466, 33K)

because it's the industry standard now, so if you want to get paid then you learn systemd
if you need a system to work without systemd then just install Devuan

Proof?

openbsd does not use a microkernel.

Hopefully now you realise that Red Hat is what you thought Canonical was.

>girl

sysv

What about MX Linux? It's ranked a lot higher on Distrowatch.

i have yet to see a single specific reason why systemd is bad. all i ever see is "botnet" or "cia nigger". nobody can even explain it, it's just a meme at this point

>muh scope creep
Not an argument

>butthurt xfcefag
Just use kde faggot

Even hotter

Literally Red Hat. Stop sucking their dick. IBM/Red Hat must go.

I'm just wondering, how come a tool like sysv-rc-conf still works on a systemd based setup?

>things that never happened

> Learned to use systemd-run on a cgroup_v2 setup
Absolutely based

Reminder that your non-systemd init system doesn't support hotplug in 2018.

I will give you several:

It violates the Unix philosophy by trying to manage too many parts of the system, whereas sysv only started services in a certain order. One function per one utility.

I have ran into several issues with journalctl causing systems to fail to boot. I believe this is caused by default selinux contexts getting upset, but this leads into another issue where I have no idea where to even begin to troubleshoot it, due to systemd being all over the system.

It changed sysv commands and orders, meaning that scripts that worked before now have to be rewritten.

It is a giant vulnerability. Sysv was small enough that even I could read through the code, good luck doing that with systemd's 200,000+ lines of garbage.

All for what? What am I gaining? Easier init scripts? Only peasents complained about that.

>We've never sought to become a monopoly. Our products are simply so good that no one feels the need to compete with us.

100% this

There's a LOT of reasons why people don't like it, and I think the people who don't like it all likely have their own reasons for not liking it.

Here's a posting about someone discovering a massive memory leak that used up 4GB of ram. While I have yet to see something this massive, I have definitely noticed Systemd using more memory than the alternatives, and some leakage here and there as well.
serverfault.com/questions/755818/systemd-using-4gb-ram-after-18-days-of-uptime

Some see it as an unnecessary security risk due to its massive attack surface. It recently hit 1 million lines of code.
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=systemd-2017-Git-Activity

Some don't like it because they dislike its habit of scope creep. The project ends up assimilating things that historically should not have anything to do with init. gif related.

There's also some other design decisions that people have an issue with, such as using Google DNS by default (because of course systemd can handle DNS), using binary logs, etc.

Lastly there's the conspiracy theory side of it, which alleges that systemd is an NSA attempt to compromise GNU/Linux, and due to Systemd as a project moving way too fast, it can't be properly audited.
web.archive.org/web/20170724100245/https://muchweb.me/systemd-nsa-attempt/

For more links and arguments, see:
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd

Attached: Systemd_anigif.gif (200x133, 772K)

for more information on the DNS issue, see pic related

Attached: SystemdDNS.jpg (1432x1700, 785K)

furthermore, systemd's code quality has been proven to be godawful and buggy as shit. pic related

Attached: systemdhcp.jpg (3456x2304, 2.54M)

here's the motherboard bricking issue

Attached: fucksystemd.png (1280x2084, 619K)

systemd is why Windows 10 will always remain popular. No systemd on Windows and it works great.

lastly, a common retort is that systemd made init scripts shorter. However, that is only when comparing systemd files to certain sysvinit scripts. Other alternative init solutions are just as short. This is a common tactic of Poettering shills: to compare their crap to the worst possible alternative to it, ignoring all other options in an attempt to make it look good.

Attached: systemdlength.png (1711x1492, 539K)

Isn't systemd something only developers have to worry about?

No. See: Systemd's design decisions directly fuck over users both in terms of their questionable ethics and in terms of just plain shitty code. I'm kind of sick of this mentality to be honest. I remember a pro-systemd pasta that was like "yeah discussing these low-level components may mean something if you're a system developer, but we're not systems developers so systemd is ok..." etc etc etc.
It still matters because you are always going to be USING the thing. It's running on your computer, and its quality is questionable to say the very least.

nothing to do with nefarious, you chump

Attached: 1421339978441.jpg (500x517, 92K)

If you can't already see why it's a big step in a wrong direction then there's no point, or desire, in talking to you.

>It recently hit 1 million lines of code.
If you dislike monolithic, high LOC projects and use Linux, then boy do I have some bad news for you...

this, literally only reason i use w10.

t. glow in the dark

laziness
ppl don't have to maintain scripts

Eventually they'll rewrite it in Rust.

That's a pretty nice article in that image, but I find this bit too pedantic.
> This isn't checking errors by the programmer here, but is instead validating input. That's not what you are supposed to use asserts for. This are very different things. It's a coding horror that makes you shriek and run away when you see it. In my fact, that's my Halloween costume this year, using asserts to validate network input.
Do they really have to #define validate_return assert_return? I mean come on, it's just a way of minimizing boilerplate. They could macro input validation to something else or write their own, but it seems a bit ridiculous when assert_return works fine.

A year ago my msi board in home server with debian just died after just 1 year. Could it be that?

Majority of the linux codebase are drivers and architecture specific code. The amound of loc actually responsible for parts user machine actually executes are much smaller.

this

Attached: _____.jpg (720x500, 75K)

Just imagine if sysd devs maintained Linux kernel from the beginning... All that shitty code in such huge codebase and many architecture flaws. Linux probably would be dead after year or so

systemd is actually pretty OK if you want to keep a computer just working and don't feel the need to needlessly tinker with it. so it's good for everyone except the few Jow Forums anime ricer faggots who don't do anything productive at all

>scope creep
more like
>go out to build a system component
>realize that some software you have to interface with sucks
>build it
>realize that the next software sucks, too
>build it too
>goto 10
the fact that systemd has to take over all those tasks is a testament to how much "LIBRE" software sucks because it was written by hobbyists who couldn't ever hope to make money with their products so they had to give them away for free and live off social welfare sucking nigger dick in back alleys for crack

>chimp girl

>It violates the Unix philosophy
yes, but linux is not unix. it's a kernel. and systemd wants to be the userland. so there you have it. linux/systemd is the future. distros are going the way of the dodo. which is great. we will have one unified linux/systemd operating system just like the BSDs are a whole.
after systemd is the userland for every linux box out there we will just tackle the problem of software distribution (package repositories are a bad and outdated model). that's the future.

>systemd v233 and earlier fails to safely parse usernames starting with a numeric digit (e.g. "0day"), running the service in question with root privileges rather than the user intended.

noice

Attached: h4x0r.gif (640x480, 1.26M)

simple to stop it. Just install gentoo with openrc

>mfw installed gentoo with systemd

Attached: benis.png (112x112, 38K)

systemD is my fav distro

Attached: Y5V8W.jpg (4272x2848, 473K)

Literally any other init system achieves that purpose, but without a literal million lines of code, therefore increasing security.
systemd has no reason to exist. It's bad for both casual users and power users.

bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/ source/systemd/ bug/1795921?fbclid=IwAR3_wVdR0yJHiSf47wk8Y4QOrceW1NqTWHaSnB9l8hWZDXDWBdhrfIwPOLA
github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/6369
github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/6237
usn.ubuntu.com/3341-1/
github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/5644
openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2017/01/24/4

If systemd is so shit it wouldn't have been adopted by literally every relevant distro.

If Windows is so shit it wouldn't have been adopted by literally every relevant PC company.

Some distros were pushed into it, e.g. Debian.

This guy:

>systemd has no reason to exist. It's bad for both casual users and power users.

is correct. systemd is extremely expensive to implement and doesn't solve any problem. The only thing it does better than other inits is lessen boot and shutdown speed [it's not even an initactually, it acts as the core operating system, as admitted to by LP]. Overall it's a lot less stable than, e.g. SysV, if there's a big undiscovered security hole in it, the results could be potentially disastrous.

>The only thing it does better than other inits is lessen boot and shutdown speed
Which isn't even the case anymore: on all machines I've tested, the most recent versions of both runit and OpenRC boot and shutdown faster than systemd.
And even if it weren't the case, a small speedup in boot times isn't remotely worth the absurd increase in complexity and potential security issues, not to mention bugs that never get fixed.

Ok I've bought this meme. Is getting rid of systemd hard on Debian?

Install Devuan

without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/How_to_remove_systemd_from_a_Debian_Stretch_installation

Alternatively, if this doesn't work out you could try a Debian fork that is built to not use systemd.
mxlinux.org/
devuan.org/

holy planet of the apes batman

>Audit it and find something nefarious
You mean like the massive DHCP security hole that was found last week?

there's nothing wrong with systemd

learn something new you lazy niggers

>And even if it weren't the case, a small speedup in boot times isn't remotely worth the absurd increase in complexity and potential security issues

You're speaking like an old *nix pro. I concur.

You're more or less right about boot speeds. My main Slack box boots from loading the generic kernel to login prompt in about 30 secs. Boot times aren't that much of an argument anymore.

It's not that easy. It's like a virus, or a cancer. let's say you're using SysV in Debian. If you don't have systemd and you install a package or a dependency which needs systemd, systemd will be pulled in and your OS will be converted to it.

It's far better to install an OS which doesn't use it at all.

You'd rather have Upstart?

it's like you fucking retards can't find any more things to complain.
would it be ok if systemd gave away participation trophies? will that help to stop your never-ending whining?

>anything linux
>'just wurks

What the fuck are you on about? Linux has supported hotplugging before systemd even existed.

where do i get a shirt like that

but, BUT, do you have a GUI?

>tfw happy user of systemd
It's great fun watching haters foaming at the mouth

maybe were just sick of typing out massive paragraphs when weve been over all this already and it should all be common knowledge and obvious by now

WHY, WHY would it take MOUNT
WHAT
The
FuCk