Go to job interview

>go to job interview
>notice a whiteboard in the room and a marker on the desk

Attached: 1534768017482.png (206x199, 28K)

Other urls found in this thread:

leetcode.com/problems/longest-consecutive-sequence/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

This should be illegal.

>they use it to explain to you why they don't need to hire you then ask you to leave.

Attached: 1395835663879.jpg (457x325, 25K)

That sounds cruel. A business that does that would get one hell of a shitty reputation.

not really. mostly all companies already have someone they want. they just need to go through the hiring process to keep the eeo off their ass.

Attached: 1541199584369.jpg (596x335, 27K)

>be contractor
>offered a 3 month contract to implement payments + frontend
>experienced agent, proven track record
>hash out all the details
>mailed the contract draft
>notice period of 24 hours
>sadly look at warchest
>idontlikethefeelofthis.jpg
>fly in the next day
>meet with HR, polite chinwag
>sign contract and NDA
>enter meeting room
>notice whiteboard
>marker on the table in front of one chair
>user, here's your place
>ohboyherewego.7zip
>bunch of tech guys enter
>we talk about their architecture and stack
>good 3 hours pass
>all is clear, let's start the onboarding process
>oh user, our CTO would like to test you first
>scrawny looking 20yearsomething walks in
>freshoutofuniversity.pdf.exe
>hands me his business card
>sweaty handshake
>look at card
>his e-mail ends with .edu.uk
>his physical address is a classroom in a uni campus
>hands me the marker and points at the whiteboard
>I want you to explain Djikstra's algorithm
>only used it once in my life, I'll have to look it up
>stares at me in disbelief and starts snickering
>I thought you were a professional
>we have decided not to work with you
>fine, I'm still billing for my flight and full day that I spent here
>we're not paying that
>yes you are, read the contract
>b-b-b-ut we terminated it right away
>leave
>email the bill next day
>30 days payment term is over
>first letter
>14 more days pass
>second letter
>get a response - user, you are incompetent, our CTO Fresh McGraduate has a masters degree in CS and he said you can't do basic tasks. we are not paying ;__;
>7 more days
>send final notice
>3 more days
>send the bill over to debt collectors
>get fully paid after 24 hours of doing so
>phone rings, new email
>notification says: You have received a 1 star rating from Mad Lads Ltd etc
>Unprofessional and arrogant behavior... [Click here to read full review]
>agent calls
>thought you were pro, turns out you talk big game, but your skills aren't there
>areyoufuckingkiddingme.mp3.pdf.rar.bat

you handled this well, what's the alternative?

>what's the alternative?
there is none, but you can protect yourself
>have a war chest with 12 months of expenses in it
>spend only as much money as you need, not as much as you want
>due diligence
although agents hate disclosing the names of their clients. ask for the company name upfront, dig up everything you can, examine what kind of people you'll be working with
>avoid .edu academics like the plague
there is nothing wrong with holding a degree or a PhD as long as your life doesn't solely consist of studying. academics do academic work, programmers do commercial work. these two fields may overlap, but share nothing in common. if a hardcore .edu academic is going to be in charge of you for a commercial project, you're going to have bad time
on the contrary - smart and educated people with proven commercial track record and experience are very fun to work with, but they write horrible code
>ask upfront on what the hiring process is and how technical screening is done
if you don't like whiteboard interviews, then clearly state so. ask if you can do an assignment of their choice. time box it, agree on the time limit. think of what value you can and will deliver. don't overdo it.
>you get turned down
it's fine. remember - when you accept a job offer, you enter a legally binding contract and you will have to work with these people for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. if it doesn't feel right at first, it's probably not for you
>it is fine to turn down the offer the same way you can be turned down
if you feel it's not working out, state so and walk away with dignity. be professional and inform the other party of the reasoning behind you walking out
>understand the nature of the business of the company you are applying to
if it's a WAMP sweatshop that does WordPress websites for 150$ that asks for whiteboard interviews, explaining how Dijkstra's algorithm works, the possible future employer has unrealistic expectations and delusions. avoid.

The alternative is to really know your shit and only take offers that you want and when you get there if there is a single tiny thing that you dont like about company/people/conditions tell them straight away to fix it/change otherwise they are wasting your time and you are leaving

>>get a response - user, you are incompetent, our CTO Fresh McGraduate has a masters degree in CS and he said you can't do basic tasks. we are not paying ;__;
Is this a real thing where you live?

Any and all transportation and food expenses needed by the interviewee are mandated by law to be paid by the interviewer in my country. We don't even need a contract for it. Either pay the bill or get fined, hard.

I believed the memes and didn't whiteboard and ended up with a retard who couldn't get three arguments from console to pass on to a function

>thought you were pro, turns out you talk big game, but your skills aren't there

While it's a shitty thing to do, you DID have to pull up Djikstra's.

Personally, I deem it unreasonable of companies to do this shit. The skills of a developer are in his ability to learn new stuff quick. Not to carry every algorithm in his head. Does Google not exist for these companies?

>avoid .edu academics like the plague
Seconded.

Whiteboarding is good if it only tests basic skills that any develop SHOULD have. Understanding object relations and methods, being able to present simple blackboxes. That kinda stuff. It only gets cringy when some clown wants you to code out a sort (for example) bug-free with a marker.

Good luck with that prima donna. Tell me how your next contracting gig goes.

It's a contract, not an employment interview. B2B

I was asked to implement a payment gateway, how is that relevant to Dijkstra's shortest path in a graph? One of the parties was mislead, perhaps deliberately. I would have never applied if the job was about graphs as it's not my field of expertise.

>can't code a bug-free sort
lmao

>I would have never applied if the job was about graphs as it's not my field of expertise.
Perhaps you should have opened with that instead of pulling out your phone for something everyone in the room clearly already knew.

Most people in my company probably can't pull a shellsort out of their ass on the spot on a whiteboard, and honestly I deem it too much to expect.

A heapsort is probably a much harder sort to write out, but I get your point.

>Good luck with that prima donna. Tell me how your next contracting gig goes
Even if you are average dev you should do this once in a while, obviously do it in professional manner, if management see you are a pushover they gonna fuck with you either way. Stand your ground and even make demands, and suddenly even the overconfident graduate is afraid of you and doesnt get in yue way anymore.

It's okay to be touched by angels. Special people have needs too. Welcome to Jow Forums

That would probably be a smart play in hindsight, and though I'm not him, admitting weakness in an interview is hard. Whenever I get a question about something I've never fucking heard of, I usually try to "figure it out on the spot".

Which is usually a pretty shitty idea, and has probably cost me jobs before. If I instead explained how I'd quickly learn it, I might have impressed more than making an ass of myself trying to show a skill I clearly didn't have.

You should be illegal.

>be contractor
Aaaand there's your mistake.

>Alright user, take the marker and walk me through how you would implement an algorithm to find the maximum number of consecutive numbers in an unsorted array. This should be easy so we'll do another problem in 15 minutes.

Attached: 1531883494215.gif (270x175, 1.78M)

>Oh you need to do this in linear time.

There's 2 huge problems in the software industry:
1. A chronic lack of software engineers
2. A chronic glut of people pretending to be software engineers because they wrote a fizzbuzz in college, it sounds like a cushy job and they figure they can learn the rest on the fly
This makes hiring hard.

Sounds pretty easy desu. Just walk through the list keeping track of the current and max consecutive numbers, and setting the max to the current whenever it's bigger

Oh wait, missed the unsorted part. That kinda sucks if you can't just sort them first.

Just keep track of the last number in the iteration and increment a counter if it's the same as the current, or reset the counter if not.

wow.

>be programmer cuck
>be expected to know about big dick networking things
odd

That sounds like a whole different problem. I assume they want to hand you an array like [2, 11, 8, 7, 4, 3, 5], and have you find that the 2...5 series is the longest series of consecutive numbers and return 4.

Do the whiteboards ever stop?
Like if I have 10+ years writing software w/ good stories, do they still put you through it?

That's exactly right. I forgot to mention that it has to be in linear time so you can't sort it first.

Is this legit hard for you pajeets, or are you just memeing?

>have experience building 200k+ daily users backend from the ground up for years
>get memed out of interview processes by whiteboard puzzles
Guess I'll just stay neet

>go to job interview
>senior dev position
>notice a whiteboard in the room and a marker on the desk
>fuck yeah I love white board interviews
>breeze through all questions
>they were visually impressed
>HR girl is giving me the eyes
>when can you start?
>say that it depends on their offer because I'm currently employed at another firm
>they look at each other
>well the base salary for new entrees is [-30% avg market value]
>start giggling like a school girl
>stand up, grab my jacket and leave
>they sit there, completely baffled and in disbelief
>four missed calls that afternoon

Attached: 5f2fe2e9e4852b63d35b6f93d7d7866b.jpg (400x400, 25K)

not even trying to negotiate?

Maybe you tripped and didn't do well on the whiteboard test. But, surely you have a portfolio to prove that you know what you're doing right?

>debt collectors
How does this work exactly? It's illegal in most of Europe. Do they shake the money out of you?

this problem is fucking easy though

>contractor
>agent
cuck

It is different everywhere. In clapistan, laws can vary by state. In some, you need a relatively simple and easy court order in order to invoke a debt collector. A collector that takes up a task is going to take a nice chunk of the money; it is less about being made whole and more about punishing some asshole who refuses to pay his bill and honor the contract.

Attached: 1445558439441.jpg (640x385, 114K)

My firm at that time started out at +30% and we went up from there. Why the fuck would I waste time negotiating a job change where the very first offer is so low balling not even an Australian baseball player could have caught it?

Attached: 5e7d2681f41320c669f59325845d3b7b64556d26_full.jpg (184x184, 7K)

>leetcode.com/problems/longest-consecutive-sequence/
post solutions

Yeah but what happens? Here they just deduce the debt (if legitimate) from your salary and/or bank account.
I've seen TV shows of mutt faced americans going in someone's house and pushing him around.

>>only used it once in my life, I'll have to look it up
THIS is the problem with muh coding interviews. You never, ever need to know any real hardcore CS stuff unless you're staying in academia all your life or you're doing serious cutting edge work. In most other cases, to be completely honest, you can skate by with programming knowledge and problem solving skills.

Not them but brute force + dynamic optimisation. That's it, that's the best mathematically provable solution.

And good googling skills. Hell, 99% of the solutions to every programming question is freely available if you know how to look for it.

post solution

Do it yourself.

For the courts? Typically a person has to provide the contract and a bit of proof it was legit (contract itself, paperwork, emails, etc.). Despite what you see on TV, many courts are happy to enforce contract law no matter how big opponent is.

Legal debt collection tactics is a regional thing here. In certain states, yeah, debt collectors can barge in, and others they might not be able to get near a target.

Attached: 1420327770141.gif (380x219, 874K)

If you are asked a question you haven't heard before in an interview, you already fucked up. Everyone is assuming you've read "cracking the coding interview," gone on glassdoor, etc., and have heard all the questions they are asking. They are not accessing your ability to solve the problem. They are accessing two things. First, your basic preparation skills. If you haven't done the 15 minutes of research to look up what questions they ask, you are probably a bad hire. Second, they are accessing your ability to bullshit like you haven't heard the problem and ability to mimic an intelligent thought process, you're ability to look smart. They don't actually need autistic fucks who have literally applied djikstra's in the real world. They need people who know how to meet real requirements, for example getting a job, in a quick and efficient manor. Taking 15minutes to memorize djikstras because you read they ask about djikstras is not "hard" but it shows you successful at playing the game.

>barge in
Legally?

The way this question is posed, the answer might even be array.size() because every consecutive spot of the array is a number.
I wouldn't want to work with a business where not even the technical people can properly formulate technical tasks.

>Legally?
In certain states, with a court order, yes; in most, no. Usually in the case of businesses, it is easier to go after their finances as most financial institutions will act enforcement with legal docs.

>with a court order, yes;
Eww. The USA is fucked up.

Yeah pretty much.
>inb4 b-but djikstra is basic CS algo tho
That may be, but once you work in enterprise, you'll quickly realize real world solutions are the simplest ones.

>hard for you pajeets
The irony here is that Indians are the ones obsessed with this shit, cause they're all gunning for West Coast jobs where useless knowledge like this is emphasized in the interview process.

The modern financial system makes the need obsolete.

But then I'll miss seeing a bunch of people claiming it's easy or hand-waving buzzwords suddenly disappear when they have a chance to solve the actual problem.

Okay give me your email and I'll send my paypal link.

nice excuse, but your 15 minutes are already up. Better luck next time.

*yawn*

rate
func longestConsecutive(a []int) int {
maxSum := 0
marks := map[int]int{}

for _, n := range a {
sum := 1 + marks[n-1] + marks[n+1]

marks[n] = sum

marks[n - marks[n-1]] = sum
marks[n + marks[n+1]] = sum

if sum > maxSum {
maxSum = sum
}
}

return maxSum
}

Sorry, time is up, and I don't mess around with hipster languages. Post the leetcode results if you want the bragging points.

>implying I joined the thread at the time it was posted

Attached: 1535525755028.png (297x435, 197K)

>I don't mess around with hipster languages
seething

Can someone tell me if I passed the interview

Attached: sln.png (516x514, 11K)

>A chronic lack of software engineers
Yeah I don't buy this. It may be a lack of experienced software engineers or a lack of software engineers available at poor wage.

Since the post you replied to was a link to the very site where you can have your code verified and rated, I'm just not seeing your problem here. Go there, submit it, and post results.

There is no LACK of software engineers. There's lack of SKILLED software engineers. Every college in the world is shitting out more half-baked programmers than any other profession, and that's not including the huge loads of Eastern Europeans, Chinese and Indians. I doubt we'll see 2025 before the marked for programmers will be insanely over-saturated. Way more than it already is I mean.

tl;dr faggot

>people who memorize white board problems and buzzwords
>skilled

PLEASE RESPOND I WANT A JOB

In what part of my post did I imply that?

int longestConsecutive(int* nums, int numsSize) {
int invalid = 0;

for(int n = 0; n < numsSize; n++) {
if((numsSize - nums[n]) < 0) {
invalid++;
}
}

return numsSize - invalid;
}

easy

>longestConsecutive([3001, 3002, 3003]) = 0

Attached: 1510010205308.jpg (680x680, 66K)

Normally I'd say just submit it and post results already, but in your case, don't bother.

It can't be sorted though.

you're fired.
you have 5 minutes to leave the premises

>so user, please install gentoo on this Nintendo GameCube. Then install Nintendo switch on it and homebrew it. Connect to the Nintendo WiFi system and add a custom big Mac skin to your Mario kart character. Force all the other players to download this skin to their local memory. You have four hours

Attached: 00969A07-6813-4000-B089-ECA37281767C.gif (800x792, 607K)

Sorted arrays are also unsorted

Attached: weirdoface.jpg (600x315, 45K)

Facts.

No human is illegal.

I think user said that because thats how theyre testing if someone is skilled

You would have been screwed even if he asked how to spell Dijkstra's name

>go to job interview
>they roll in three whiteboards

Attached: ITSAMESHHHMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.jpg (640x448, 199K)

>gateway to job is whiteboard problems and buzzwords
>people do that bc the point of going to college is to get a job
>wtf why do people only know whiteboard problems

???

How is a whiteboard problem not an ambush? I’ve always struggled writing stuff on the whiteboard yet I could lose out on getting a job because I can’t write a meme algorithm on the whiteboard that I could probably do on a computer.

it's a more "show your process" type format

It kinda is, actually. I mean you have no way to prepare for it, because you have no idea what they'll ask you to do. On the other hand they need to know you don't just look good on paper.

You gotta understand how useless some people are out of college.

That being said if someone tried that shit when you're applying for a senior position I think I'd be a little insulted.

t. Pajeet

>not simplified for-loop
Rejection letter being sent as we speak.

I just accepted an offer for a software engineering position at a major financial institution. My background is systems administration and cloud, where I literally just write and cobble together scripts to make shit work. I was upfront about that and they said no problem, we just need people who know Azure/AWS. How fucked am I Jow Forums?

As a software engineer you're probably going to be expected to code and build things, or at least bugfix and maintain them. Are you any good at programming?

Get ready to answer some unrelated questions like what are the FSMO roles in windows domain

Daily reminder that seemingly irrelevant academic pop quizzes in a job interview are deliberate age discrimination. Business programming is brainlet-tier so they just need cheap 22 year olds which is why these questions only make sense for a fresh college graduate.

>Are you any good at programming?
I guess, I mainly write powershell/python/.net/sql for infrastructure automation and etl processes. Never done application dev.
>FSMO
God I hope not, I haven't even so much as logged into a server in the past year. Everything with my team has been PaaS.

What's wrong with this?