Unironically, if this only looked better more people would adopt it

Unironically, if this only looked better more people would adopt it.

Attached: LibreOffice_Writer_3.3.png (1247x945, 73K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wps.com/en-US/office
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

ok

Unironically people would adopt it if it could compete with word.

i used it fine throughout uni, and i use it fine at work and at home. what exactly seems to be the issue?

Attached: 2018-11-03_13-10-18.png (1858x1080, 50K)

I can't believe we used to accept such utterly terrible font rendering.
Freetype really improved.

Word isn't the dealbreaker, LibreOffice works well enough to replace it, the problem is that Excel and Powerpoint are far better than their counterparts, Word just goes along with the ride

The problem is that "compete with word" doesn't mean what people usually mean by "compete with." Whether it's better or not, or faster or not, or easier or not, doesn't matter at all. The only way it could actually be in competition is if people could use it by mistake thinking it is Word. But people have internalised MS' dominance of technology to such a degree that this is not likely to happen. "Windows" is "a computer" and "Word" is "a word processor."

The issue is the industry. The industry standard is Microsoft Office.
I don't really have too much of a problem with LibreOffice*, but when everybody is using MS office, using anything else is bothersome to you and to the people you're communicating with.

* WHY ARE TABLE WIDTHS A FIXED VALUE INSTEAD OF IT BEING THE SUM OF THE WIDTHS OF EACH CELL?
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

>still thinking quality matters
BeOS was better than Windows 95, but that didn't matter.

Excel is better, yeah, but PowerPoint? Granted, I don't use PowerPoint at work, but LibreOffice Impress doesn't seem that bad. I certainly haven't missed any featured from PowerPoint. But, as I mentioned, I don't really work with presentations, so maybe that's why I don't see how PowerPoint is that much better.

>he doesn't use *TeX

Attached: 1522119334735.jpg (1024x839, 123K)

fucking beaner.

but why? LO handles .docx fine, and office handles .odt fine. I must not use tables much in writing, but I think that's because I view tables in pdf normally. beyond tables you don't have problems with it though?

the issue is that free software and everyone associated with it are memes trying to make a statement by acting like schizophrenic conspiracy theorists who think every proprietary piece of code contains means of tracking them or stealing their data and no level-headed person would ever want to associate themselves with that

i use free software but i don't necessarily think what you're saying i should think. stop projecting Jow Forums onto everyone else.

\begin{comment}
\firstpartofcomment{This.]
\secondpartofcomment{
Tex is far more \makethisitalicplease{convenient} than a word processor}
\end{comment}

>my organization refuses to pay for the Microsoft Office suite
based

Looks fine to me

Attached: Screenshot_20181103_092030.png (1402x818, 72K)

>LO handles .docx fine, and office handles .odt fine
No, they really don't.
One of our clients has all their editable documents in docx format. In that, they have links to other files, custom headers and footers, disclaimers on the sides of pages and other such stuff. Neither LO nor OO can handle that.

The same happens with Excel trying to open odt files. If all you have is formulas and nothing else, maybe you won't have any problem, byt the moment you try to use comments, drawings, pictures and macros, everything explodes.

Do you really use all those icons on your toolbar?

I think you're getting it wrong. It's because the owner is stingy as shit, not because he hates MS or because he likes FOSS.

Either way it's a good thing.

The point of the Liberation font family is to replace the proprietary MS fonts, since those can't beblegally bundled with other products such as LibreOffice.
This isn't an issue if you're using LibreOffice in Windows, since you already have the MS fonts.
Why are each letter randomly separated from one another anyway? It looks awful.

It needs to work better.

What baffles me is that MS Office isn't on Linux.

People would only adopt it of was compatible 1-to-1 with Microsoft Word perfectly and it had some sort of advertising budget so normans actually know it exists.

Literally how is it baffling?
The amount of people that run Linux as a desktop OS is miniscule and the proportion of those that would then pay for "muh m$" software is even smaller.

Attached: [GJM] Urara Meirochou - 02 [D9FAA8C9].mkv_snapshot_04.46_[2017.01.15_15.16.44].jpg (1280x720, 588K)

To be fair, every piece of proprietary code is tracking everyone and stealing data.

>Why are each letter randomly separated from one another anyway? It looks awful.
Because either LO's font rendering is shit, or Windows' font rendering is shit. The spacing looks ok if you zoom in. The font is still aliased as hell, though.

Not all that odd when you consider MS Office is what keeps Windows alive in office environments.

this year university gave me a free key for office 365, I've used libreoffice sporadically over the years and always assumed there wasn't that big of a difference based on my experience with office 2003 way back in the day, boy was I wrong. Office is like a million times better nowadays. the gap is probably even bigger than photoshop/GIMP

I use Google Docs for my business. Because LibreOffice looks like ass.

bare shoulders!

Once I graduated college I never once have ever had to interact with a "word processor". Everything in the real world is done via text editors and email.

It looks great. Way better than Word since 2007 or whatever with that gay ass ribbon shit.

It looks clean and straightforward. Like how Word used to look before they turned it into total bullshit.

Attached: libreoffice writer.png (1304x768, 54K)

wps.com/en-US/office

Attached: kantai __prinz_eugen_kantai_collection_drawn_by_kapatarou__1d37eeba258f3dffd3fb94090f97f56c.png (1560x2313, 1.42M)

>either LO's font rendering is shit, or Windows' font rendering is shit
Can confirm it's a LO issue, font looks fine by itself and on MSO.

The ribbon was by far the best thing to ever happen to the Office suite.

Attached: file.png (1024x676, 350K)

Good thing libreoffice has the same shit now, just hidden behind a setting so retards don't get upset.

How can it look better? It already looks like a word 2003 clone.

Attached: 1530978999353.png (380x349, 70K)

> Using *Tex instead of groff
Enjoy your 1.5Gb of macros

What an awful opinion.

I unironically hope you die in a fire.

If by "looked better" you mean "looked exact copy of MS office they've gotten used to", you'd be right

wintoddlers cannot change the default font now?

As a basic word processor it's fine

The reason no one uses it is because you often get Word for free. I do as a student. It also constantly backs up all my work to onedrive. Where I can access it at school, at work, on my laptop, my desktop etc and not have to worry about flash drives or email attachments.

Also Microsoft being a cock made docx which shits on standards. Annoying but I need that compatibility to do my research.

I remember when I was a freetard I made a presentation in libreoffice. When I presented it, all my pictures were black and white and washed out beyond recognition and it's still a running joke among my cohort.

The point of tools is in fact to make life easier. So it's hard to convince people who's bottom line is efficiency or getting shit over with in the least amount of time with the least amount of headaches or being compatible with their work and telling them to risk that for something as intangible as freedom or privacy.

You can look down on people for it all you want but it's not like it's a big mystery.

Also yes it's ugly as fuck. Those buttons are straight from XP era programs pls ask the numix crew to redesign the UI

Why?

Imagine getting this worked up over a fucking word processor, lmao.

In enterprise literally nobody uses Word/Powerpoint except for quick and dirty things. Which Libreoffice is fully capable of replacing.
If you're actually producing something professional, you're going to use LaTeX.
Excel is actually used even though it is a slow piece of shit. Libreoffice isn't as robust (limited columns) and doesn't integrate well with VBA.
SQL and Python/R have mostly replaced what people used excel for in the past. But there is still a use case for excel for getting a feel for the data and playing with it. Also there are still boomer companies that use spreadsheets for storing everything instead of a database.

The best excuse used to get out of using LibreOffice is when people say they need to use MS office because it's what they know. These are the same people who constantly complain that they don't know how to use MS office and need training.

looks fine on most default distros installations now I guess. I don't use it

Looks really nice with the ribbon enabled.

>opens calc
>enters a big amount of data
>want to save a file as csv
>it freezes
>has to kill the process
>re-opens calc
>yes to restore file
>it didn't save anything
>have to redo the table
>freezes again while saving
Wow, so this is the power of free software?

Try the Carlito font

This but unironically

most people do use this, or OpenOffice, as it's the default on a lot of android phones.

>not exporting your presentations to PDF
What the hell are you doing?

I get the feeling that you're talking out of your ass here.

>In enterprise literally nobody uses Word/Powerpoint
Absolutely fucking delusional.

>what exactly seems to be the issue?
I don't know, maybe that I used LO for a month and it managed to corrupt three files when saving. Now I use Google Docs, it does what I need and I don't have to be scared that it'll corrupt shit whenever it feels like it.

right
wow, I love spending time hovering over each icon just to figure out what they do

microsoft figured it out, took libretards literally 10 years to get into it
literally, the story of everything that is foss but "unpopular and we just dont understand why, it's foss" - it's unpopular because it's unusable and unwilling to adapt the solutions found by other people and implemented in their programs, 'but its proprietary interface', 'but people could just adapt to our old, broken interfaces', no you dipshit
>waah waah no one uses my butt-ugly program with shit tier interface shit tier usability that was obsolete when conceived
just fucking copy, you don't save anyone's time and don't improve anything when you're not looking at the best solutions and implementing them, and then improving upon those, making it even better
proven: people get lost in new interfaces, in interfaces that need discovery, that look too complicated for functional complexity they offer (doubling of functions on toolbars and in menus is the biggest problem), in interfaces where discovery is obsctructed, made less immediate, by illogical arrangement, by ambiguity of choices, of their availability (hiding functionality in menus) and their consequences (removing or hiding text, like button labels, hiding it in tooltips or not having any)
youre getting by with your "free software" meme and the pure faith of people thinking that it's good, but in reality, it's uncompetitive shit design, and to compete, this is what you have to do
get told shit lol

icons were fun for a while but then you retards took it to a whole another level, everything must be an icon. now we're going back to textual interfaces, meeting the hell of numerous options and nested menus again. meanwile clidiots are happy laughing at this shit with their software functionality not exceeding that of notepad and accessibility being a meme

>sans-serif as default font

every design mistake makes user lean closer towards checking out completely
>unusable defaults
>im not gonna waste my time tinkering with this shit to make it useable, i'm out
>no labels
>i dont know what any of this shit does, i'm out
>dropdown menus
>i dont have time for this, '97 called
>sidebar
>wtf is this shit why you have so little space for the document itself, fuck this

funny how you hate on ribbon when it embodies simple tested truths in design
people don't know what icons mean save for some very basic shit.
any icons beyond that do nothing but confuse them. hovering over them, trying to discover is a waste of time.
this is why those icons have labels next to them, in text, clearly spelling the action. further down the line of explaining things, they have huge tooltips. meanwhile, LO, you need to hover just to see a name of an action that button does, and that's it, a name, no explanation
people still need icons as a visual anchor, they're still quicker to perceive than just text. with use, people make associations between icons and text. but it doesn't mean that you can remove labels from everything. it increases learning curve which is bad enough, but really, it degrades usability for everybody. cognitive load
having same actions double in two places, toolbars and ribbon, is stupid.
it's better design, tested and tried
if you're truly practical and rational, why are you refusing it

>The default font should be a Helvetica ripoff.
retard

fuck off luke

its easier to just use the web version of office

you expect talented developers to work for free making free software? lemme tell ya buddy, money makes the world go 'round.

If you want good software then you need good, full time paid developers, and they dont come cheap.

>if this only looked better more people would adopt it.

I wish, but sadly no they wouldn't. There is a massive stigma towards proprietary shitware and overall people are stuck in thinking that M$ makes good software.

he's unironically right

It's not the word processor, it's the notion.

If i remember correctly, suke lmith said that he will still use LaTeX for "big stuff", though.

I planned to go into groff myself, though I have problems with unicode characters. Out of the special characters that my shitty country uses, half works correctly after passing -k, but half of them just doesn't, just spits out `src/doc.ms:9: warning: can't find special character `u006E_0301'`. There wasn't any way that could fix it from what I found.

What?

this
even Word 2007 is more useful and versatile