Why aren't you using the best GNU/Linux distribution in existence Jow Forums?

Also Jow Forumsentoo general
See: wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Benefits_of_Gentoo

Attached: gentoo-logo.png (666x800, 119K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GCC_optimization
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

do cflags actually matter?

Bumping for interest. I heard that the speed gains from compiling are very small, is that true? How about memory usage? Will I be able to save lots of mb ram by removing certain features at compilation?

Do I have to use my own machines for distcc or can I find some spare online?

They do have a influence, big or small, really depends on the program itself. But it does matter. You can't install a program compiled for one machine for another, like the most basic comparison for a brainlet would be Amd and Intel
Speed gains are minimal. It exists though. My gentoo install on a core 2 duo was faster than debian 9 stretch. I don't have any benchmarks to support that claim, it responded hella faster.
>Will I be able to save lots of mb ram by removing certain features at compilation?
Ram, maybe not so much. CPU cycles at runtime?, ofcourse.
>Do I have to use my own machines for distcc or can I find some spare online?
Distcc is performed on a local network. Like PC's connected on your main router.
You can't distcc online, I think you can setup generic gentoo in a container or something and build the binaries, throw away after it completes and download the bin pkg to your pc to install in later.

Also flags like -O3, -Ofast and -Os have different consequences.
Read this : wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GCC_optimization

Tldr the time you save from optimizations you lose from compiling everything. Unless you're running gentoo on hardware which is non standard to the point you'd have to compile everything anyway (like you're using some old ass architecture like PowerPC or SPARC or something) the optimizations are more of a cool add on that don't help a whole lot for the typical use case.

Another exception might be if you were doing something really computationally intensive like scientific computing. But then you'd have some machine in a cabinet with like two Xeons and 128gb of ram or some shit, and you'd me using a version of linux tailored to that kind of thing.

Tldr, learning about these optimizations is cool and instructive, but if you're like most people, they won't make a difference in your day today usage.

CFLAGS do matter, especially on older systems. The standard, recommended -O2 and -march=native will produce well-optimized, non-bloated code that often runs better than what you can find in binary packages. Libreoffice is the first thing that comes to mind: compiling it takes a long time, but the end result is a noticeably snappier executable.
But the real way you can squeeze out more performance and greatly reduce memory usage is not CFLAGS, and it's not even USE flags.... it's a little thing called LTO, something -O3 -funroll-loops -fomg-optimize memers don't even know exists. USE flags however still matter for excluding unused features and producing smaller binaries.
-funroll-loops and the like often just bloat your code and actually make it run slower. You shouldn't use them except for some very specific cases.
You can also consider -fipa-pta if you have a lot of RAM and graphite optmizations.

>the time you save from optimizations you lose from compiling everything
t. emerge --jobs=1, MAKEOPTS="j1", PORTAGE_NICENESS=0

Because its a meme

Because it's a waste of time.

>I don't have any benchmarks to support that claim
At least you admit that

Attached: quite smug.png (632x553, 382K)

>best distro
>you need to follow a guide just to install it

why would i subject myself to that

gentoo is actually just linux OP
you must me mixing it up with debian or something

linux is just a kernel

i'm a newfag and i need a little more experience before upgrading

Why not, say, CRUX?

Attached: IMG_4464.jpg (2272x1704, 2.05M)

crux is cool and i have lots of respect for those who use it but portage is too good for me to leave my comfort zone. redpill me on why i should leave my comfort zone though.

To be honest if you are proficient at protgage I am not gonna sell you ant the package manager of CRUX, if you made some ebuilds you can tackle ports already. The simplicity of the initscripts though is cool, but I won't say I don't envy the USE flags of Gentoo sometimes.

Too lazy

>running multiple compilations at the same time

Attached: trap vs ts.png (500x471, 356K)

Gentoo community is far more welcoming and patient with any newfag with their problems and shit.
Folks at arch are kinda meh, they act like robots, not humans, they'll tell you're a degenerate subhuman for not reading muh wiki

But I am

based user

Attached: thumbsup.gif (322x644, 1.26M)

why is ffmpeg 4.0 not stable on the gentoo operating system?

ffmpeg 4 leads to compilation issues for other packages with depend on it, coz those were depending on ffmpeg

because ffmpeg-4 had big api changes in it and not every stable package that depends on ffmpeg has an ffmpeg-4 compatible stable worthy updated available yet

For the same reason why java 9 is not stable (and java 10 and java 11 are not even available). Lack of manpower.

>Lack of manpower.

Attached: 61MMFc1RBvL._AC_UY600_.jpg (693x600, 37K)

time consuming pizza shit

But the Arch community does have a fair reason to be like that, 90+% of the problems you'll encounter there can be easily solved by looking at the wiki or the news section of the homepage.

Parabola on the other hand, they have messy devs who break shit all the time and always respond with "LOLIdon'tknowhow", especially if you're on ARM.
For example, the system doesn't even work on supposedly supported hardware because the devs are idiots.

Gentoo wiki and forums feel like teachers, professors/mentors, they teach you stuff.
Arch isn't, don't misjudge me, Arch wiki is good, very good for experienced users.
Arch provides too much spoon feeding for normies, that's why they fuck up.
Arch's target demographic are developers who want to setup their environment as quick as possible and start working. Installing arch is super easy. Faster than Ubuntu/Debian.

Gentoo java is not seeing work done because they kicked out the only competent guy that had done any meaningful work for it over the past decade for basically bs reasons and the only thing the current java "maintainers" do now is watch the gates making sure no one else does any maintaining either. That's more of a project management and gentoo leadership not having balls to put a stop to it issue than "lack of manpower"

Huh what happened? Please explain in detail?