Powershell has built in file hashing capabilities

>powershell has built in file hashing capabilities
fucking based

Attached: powershell.png (656x494, 35K)

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/microsoft.powershell.utility/get-filehash?view=powershell-6
petri.com/hashing-powershell-using-get-filehash
github.com/PowerShell/PowerShell/blob/master/src/Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.Utility/commands/utility/GetHash.cs
old.reddit.com/r/PowerShell/comments/4q8bkm/change_the_console_font_programmatically/d5559z2/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Prove it's built in.
Meanwhile linux has this no problem too:
$ sha256sum asdf
71f453558de50865fb6feec836f4ed868542664afac639bc070304259418bc52 asdf

EVERYTHING WINDOWS MAKES IS SO MUCH BETTER

>get-
No

>Prove it's built in.
It's right in microsofts documentation
docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/microsoft.powershell.utility/get-filehash?view=powershell-6

Apparently it was introduced in powershell 4.0
petri.com/hashing-powershell-using-get-filehash

The verb-noun commands are a bit verbose but it really aids in helping you remember them. You can alias it to something else if you hate them that much.

Attached: webms.png (656x494, 74K)

there's absolutely nothing based about powershell

>ctrl-f
>"built"
>zero results
Ok buddy

Powershell is absolutely based for popping windows boxes, you have no idea wtf are you talking about.

Powershell is just less good bash/zsh

Use some reasoning skills fuckboi

>popping windows boxes
cringe and bluepilled

What's up with that shit? Look I privately use Linux or BSD on all my boxes. But on fucking Windows, powershell is step in the right direction and you can literally do anything.
Use the right tool for the job... You do have a job don't you?
Kek, moron at least respond like literate person huuur duuur

>popping windows boxes
the what?? Do you mean make UIs?

I don't think you know what builtin actually means.

The only bad thing about it is that it relies on .net, and some people might believe that's a good thing

imagine being so cucked by your OS that you didn't know you could do useful things with it.

Why can't we just port Powershell's syntax to Linux without doing the object thing?

It's objectively superior to bash and sh.

Yeah, sure buddy that's exactly what I meant

Attached: 1472562101154.jpg (492x440, 24K)

Then define it because I'm certain you have a more oddly specific definition than most people

You have access to .Net and Windows API

powershell is surprisingly good

There is powershell for Linux already

Why the fuck would the documentation page for a command bother to point out that it's built in?

Take a look at my Powershell box then!

Attached: 153.png (907x493, 187K)

Good job little buddy

Attached: image_37.jpg (227x200, 26K)

builtin to the actual program, as in a builtin command.
get-filehash is probably just a separate program and there's no reason to believe otherwise as there's no mention of it being a builtin.

I wonder why is powershell being shilled so hard on here these days. I think it is pointless given: a) Most professionals that might frequent these boards are already set in there ways and know better to use the best tool for the job, which is never powershell unless it is on windows in *some* very specific cases. b) Young aspiring technologist who are most likely on here because of the novelty of linux (*nix) to them, and are less likely to regard PS in any favorable light.

Thanks~!

Attached: 160.png (519x403, 42K)

No reason to believe it wouldn't.
Anyway that's besides the point. OP has literally zero proof it's builtin.
It's as retarded as claiming sha256sum is builtin to bash.

>The verb-noun commands are a bit verbose but it really aids in helping you remember them.
It's not that. It's the retarded order of the damn things.
With Linux I can type "lv", press TAB, and it will show me all the things I can do with logical volumes (e.g. lvdisplay, lvcreate, lvremove, etc.). In Powershell everything is spread all over the place because the order is reversed - the action (Get) precedes the problem domain (FileHash).
AIX has the same problem, BTW - lslv, mklv, rmlv, etc. So it's not exclusively a Windows issue.

>powershell
>winshit
Anyone one who uses windows for any type of software development is either really stupid or really autistic.

Attached: ACBFBA34-72B5-4236-A1E1-B41FCF19282B.png (700x700, 21K)

Any time bro ;)

>built in
Cool, but that's against the unix philosopy. NEXT!
>you can literally do anything.
If you know and understand all the cryptic internal bullshit MS uses, sure

Yeah and a lot of its features won't work when you got text instead of objects as your medium.
Unless you import the text files as objects, but that will likely only work with csvs and produces quiet a bit of overhead.

>No reason to believe it wouldn't.
No reason to believe it would.

>the Get-FileHash cmdlet
>A cmdlet is a lightweight command that is used in the Windows PowerShell environment. The Windows PowerShell runtime invokes these cmdlets within the context of automation scripts that are provided at the command line. The Windows PowerShell runtime also invokes them programmatically through Windows PowerShell APIs.
built in faggot, die

There are commands to handle text and if you need anything beyond that you can very well do it. There's no need to have it be prestructured to resemble an object.

Attached: serveimage.jpg (960x720, 104K)

>Woah, this proprietary windows tool tells me that ubuntu_image_totally_not_injected_with_NSA_tracking_by_a_windows_MITM_attack.iso has the expected hash!

Exactly what I'm saying. I mean that it comes with powershell, and windows users can now hash files with no extra programs.

I really have no idea how powershell works behind the scenes. Here's the code for that specific cmdlet though
github.com/PowerShell/PowerShell/blob/master/src/Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.Utility/commands/utility/GetHash.cs

Are Windows-only ""people"" actually impressed by being able to hash files? Is this the equivalent of Linuxfags bragging about having thumbnails in the filepicker?

Alias get-command to gc
gc "*logical*"
It's not what you're used to, it's not inherently shit

Are you crazy. gc is already an alias to get-content. For get-content there's gcm.

Slightly less relevant, but you don't need to wrap strings in quotes when used as a parameter and there are no spaces.

>this proprietary
*blocks ur path*

>windows
It's been cross platform for like 2 years gramps

Attached: license.png (499x388, 37K)

>it really aids in helping you remember them
"Get filehash" is the last mnemonic I'd think of for the operation. "Hash" is already used as a verb.

LOL

>get-Designated shitting-street
>poo-Outside loo
>get-lotsof Curry

Attached: 1535924985935.png (1252x701, 402K)

Are GNU-tards really this butthurt about PowerShell being superior to bash?

Attached: 1511738947131.jpg (400x300, 22K)

>Poowershell

As much as I hate Microsoft I have to say Powershell is pretty good and better than anything Linux/Unix have or ever had.

Is it really?

Brainlet desktop user here, how is powershell better than bash

(You)

The thing is it's not just Bash. You have POSIX/XDG4 shell specification and then billion of mutually incompatible implementations. Powershell is good, it makes sense and it works. Just look at this thread and all those salty Linux fags. I use Linux too but I am not a fanatic.

It works. It makes sense. Just look up for the graph of how loading of those different ~/.bashrc ~/.profile /etc/profile /etc/bashrc file works. It's an abomination. And don't want me to start on those config options. It's madness.

>Just look up for the graph of how loading of those different ~/.bashrc ~/.profile /etc/profile /etc/bashrc file works. It's an abomination.
How so? I've never had a problem with that. It makes sense.

It should be noted of course that Windows Powershell 5.1, which utilizes .NET Framework and .NET Standard, is more powerful than the newer
Powershell 6.x ( known as Powershell Core) which utilizes .NET Core
and as yet doesn't have all previous commands from 5.1 ported over. For example, grid-view.

Attached: Grid-View.png (1378x1047, 133K)

>gets simpler and less bloated with every version
Wtf, I love Microsoft now.

Attached: bgates-2.jpg (481x480, 46K)

>built in

You lay out exactly the reasons why it IS being shilled here where it has no chance, let me spell it out for you: (you)s

>create a hash of every file on user's HD
>upload to botnet HQ
You know they're doing this, don't you user?

how much does microsoft pay per thread/post? I want to make some money on the side

Microsoft has no intention of porting WPF, so gridview while relying on it can't be ported as well.

or is actually employed as a professional software developer

is this another thread about Windows users finding out one command out of 10 and getting exited while Linux users just cringe and double tab their terminal to show how true power feels like?

What do you mean by popping?

they could just use the certutil program thats been part of every windows since win2000

hurr prove that's built-in to the linux kernel and not an external package

>they're literally called cmdlets

Attached: laughing-pepe.jpg (399x385, 27K)

sha512sum [file]

OP btfo

Attached: 1539553702280.png (672x787, 979K)

>get-help

>Meanwhile linux has this no problem too:
That's literally an executable.

Call me back when escaping raw strings isn't complete fucking ass cancer and you are unable to convert it into C# objects.

PS has fucking retarded expansion behaviour. Ever tried using paths with square brackets in them? You don't want to, and if the command you're trying to use doesn't have -LiteralPath then you're fucked.

PowerShell is ass backwards garbage. It is painful and annoying to work with. I don't know why you'd call it based.

me again
Why the fuck would it be a good thing that it's built-in to the shell itself? It doesn't even support all hashing algorithms you might come across.

Attached: 1536541120551180.png (798x418, 12K)

Sorry, I just cannot stop complaining about PS, so I'll proceed:

Why the FLYING FUCK does Windows character encoding have to be such an absolute clusterfuck? If someone switches system locale then they may end up with a new codepage, which is bad enough by itself. But then some locales also have raster fonts as default for UTF-8 in PS, for whatever fucking reason, which means the program LITERALLY FUCKING CRASHES when trying to display a UTF-8 character, because the font doesn't support it and you get an Input/Output Error (no joke). This is so fucking retarded.

What's worse, there is no way to programatically work around it and set a new console font so your script doesn't bug the fuck out on machines with a non-western locale, without importing functions from the god damn Win32 API, and it looks like this fucking AIDS here: old.reddit.com/r/PowerShell/comments/4q8bkm/change_the_console_font_programmatically/d5559z2/

>objectively superior
>objectively

That link made me sick in the tummy, thanks for giving new depth to the old UNIX architecture simple decisions. I love my system, and will continue the tradition of wiser men than I.

depends on the system. busybox, for example, has many tools in one executable.

so you can use it and move it to other systems without messing much with them, I'd guess

>not using rc
Fuck off bloated shills

Attached: spaceglenda300.jpg (1910x2208, 639K)

Don't expect anyone on this site to understand what words mean, you'll drive yourself mad.

Topkek