What’s the point of having 4 cd/Blu-ray disk drives ? And why would I use them all?

What’s the point of having 4 cd/Blu-ray disk drives ? And why would I use them all?

Attached: image.jpg (3264x2448, 1.15M)

Now that you mentioned it, I wonder as well.
That extra three-drive space could be used better.
Four drive bays were only useful in the age of massive piracy burning.

how old is that case. anything made after 2016 only has 2 5.25 bays, at best. most have nothing on the front anymore, opting for glass panel or radiator shroud

>most have nothing on the front anymore
That's terrible

Somewhere between 2013-14. Still not built fully yet. Has 6 hdd ports too. So op.

>the only thing a front bay can be used for is for an optical drive

wut.

Get a hot swap HDD front bay, or a fan controller, or whatever else.

You don't HAVE to use it for a bluray drive.

You can put other things in them besides optical drives.

I get the fan controller part but why more hdd’s? I already got 6 hdd ports

5.25" bays are pretty cool. There are loads of things that can go in them. In just one of those bays you can fit eight hotswap 2.5" SSDs with a SAS backplane in just one of those bays.

Attached: 2018-11-03-223854_879x230_scrot.png (879x230, 216K)

How much memory of sdd’s do you got
Or you can put in one of those?

2 drives used to be common - load an audio CD into one and a blank into the other and make a copy without ripping to the HDD first.

You would use those for mechanical SAS drives which are used in servers.
In that 5.25 bay you can fit more storage in 2.5 inch SAS drives than you could with a a single 3.5 inch drive

My time has come.
Bros, wanna get a free /odg/ resurrection? We really get some fine discussion there, but the thread needs a few people for maintainance. Or I could just use le_related_animey_girl.jpg for it.
As for the purpose of 4 drives, I could install even more than that. Right now I have 2 drives which give me access to all CD's, DVD's and Blu-rays with several exceptions like M-DISC, cartridge DVD-RAM, obscure CD formats. The top drive is older and is capable of playing japanese high-speed RAM discs, which in all other drives I've tried just crash windows into blackscreen mode.

*vibrates*

playing FMV games obviously

You would typically use them with a bunch of regular 2.5" SATA SSDs, since they can't be more than 7 mm thick. Though you could use SAS drives in there too, or some particularly thin 2.5" mechanical drives. I think there are some variants available for 2.5" NVMe U.2 SSDs too, but that particular one is just for SAS or SATA drives. There are also 3.5" hotswap bays which span multiple 5.25" bays, so in the OP's case, they could have 1 optical drive and five hotswap 3.5" bays in the other three slots.

Attached: 2018-11-03-225928_762x234_scrot.png (762x234, 139K)

>have 6 fucking 5.25 bays on my case
>only 5.25 to 3.5 drive adapters are retarded hotswap ones, nothing that's just a smooth front to it
has no one thought of having this jesus fucking christ

There are loads of internal non-hotswap brackets as well as blank plate enclosures with fans for 5.25" to 3.5". Why would you specifically not want a hotswap one though?

I have some 4K blurays that I want to rip but the hardware is either too expensive or just doesn't seem to exist

Attached: 1497993902897.jpg (444x563, 62K)

Fry's sells bare Blu-Ray burners for like $80 on sale several times a year and $120 I think normal price. The problem I have is I can't buy DVDFab anymore, and the cracked versions seem pretty sketchy.

So if I put one of these in my tower, I could add 5 SSD’s? I already have 6 In my tower. Sounds cool that I could fit 11 SSD,s in my tower, and I could fit 2tb drives in the tower. Meaning I could have 22tb of storage. But why, I couldn’t even fill all that storage even if I wanted to.

Forgot to put image.

Attached: F6A7CF7B-69A4-497E-B511-9149B2E93349.jpg (640x471, 35K)

Oh okay I get it. Do you not have a BD drive? With appropriate software you can rip it ez if you have a generic BD drive. Are the discs triple-layered or quadruple? Either way the drive can work with that. I once burned a 4k short movie on a cd and it was reading fine, only my drive was making hadron collider sounds.
Either Nero Burning Rom or (Sony) Vegas can help you. In worst case you can get a proper program, capture card & record the output in fullscreen.

>ITT zoomers who didn't live through the true PC modding era of fan controllers, expandable ports and key operated startup

What's up with all the "too expensive" people? If you can get a meme keyboard and gaymen mouse, you can surely also get a Blu-ray drive (which pays off in cheaper storage capacity & the ability to emulate literally ANY machine ever invented that works with any optical discs).

and my personal favorite, lcd displays

Attached: 1514651245542.jpg (640x853, 97K)

Why so many?

What's funny is that I had a pirated 4k movie littering up my 64Gb USB 3.0 flash drive, so I got myself a nice BD-DL & copied the movie there. Fully reversed.

Actually 12 ports if you count the external port. So 25tb.

I have a BD drive that I installed in my laptop. I usually use makemkv.

I mean you'll still need additional SATA ports on your motherboard for the drives you add. If you have a spare PCIe slot you could always get a SAS HBA and one of those breakout cables.

Attached: sas break.jpg (425x425, 22K)

24* dumbass

because bluray drives are something people almost never use. rip once, done. wait for the next shitty movie to release.

>memory of sdd’s

Attached: 1532355102203.jpg (250x250, 19K)

Meant to say memory worth of SSD’s. As in how much memory.

So what's the issue?
>what are disc archives
>what do you mean you can burn audio/video discs yourself
Literally just go to your nearest walmart/whatever, get yourself a rewriteable disc and see what the drive's capable of. I almost never used the optical drive, too, until I decided to ironically burn an archival dvd. There's also no better feeling than seeing that huge junk file you didn't want to delete for whatever reason freeing up the main drive while still being preserved.

You'd probably need another adapter for that in particular since SSDs are almost always 2.5", while the one you're linking is for 3.5" drives, which are normally larger mechanical drives. You could instead use three 8-bay 2.5" hotswap bays in the same space (see pic in ), which would let you fit 24 SSDs, and assuming you use 2 TB SSDs and including your extra 6 drives, that gives you 60 TB of storage. You'd probably want to use mirrors though or a few RAIDZ2s with all those drives though, giving you between 30 and 40 TB of usable space. Also you'd probably want a 24-port SAS HBA.

I unironically have a standard DVD drive and a Blu-ray capable one. I have a very large physical collection of movies, anime, and music that I rip, encode, and throw onto my server. Once I can find a reliable 4k Blu-ray DVD drive, I'll get one of those too.

Problem is that all 4k capable ones now have updated firmware preventing the use of encryption breaking software to make a remux. I.e. MakeMKV

HOW THE FUCK WOULD I USE 60tb?

Disc archives store like total shit.
There's a reason people immediately rip CDs and DVDs the moment they buy them.
Storage is cheaper than a bluray drive and associated media.

If I wanted archival I'd buy an outdated LTO tape drive and store those since they don't eat shit while just sitting around

because I have no need for a hotswap. also link those blank plates, i'm not seeing them

Last time I tried makemkv back when it was still 1.12.0, it had no support for 4K blurays and everyone was implying you needed to buy some $200 bluray player just to read the new jew UHD standard.

The movies I want to rip are on the other side of the country so I don't think I can test the new version anytime soon

Discs do not rely on magnetism or electricity to store data, so data loss is highly unprobable, which means greater longevity. LTO tapes might win in capacity, but the access time probably sucks ass & there could be loss from mechanical damage/magnetic interruptions. And the price on those really is high. You can't even use the damn thing for anything other than archival of terabytes of data you've somehow generated.
Have you ever just dumped videos/pics onto a disc? I prefer it when files are physically segregated into different containers based on common theme/time of creation. It's much easier taking out a disc that says "nature images 2018" instead of going to your Tb HDD, searching in layers upon layers of old forgotten folders just to find the folder with what you need.

have you ever had even a decent number of discs?
In my house they were called "Scratch magnets"

Attached: 18s07q8pqmvu1jpg.jpg (468x279, 35K)

Ya, I had a container that carried 150 disks max. Also I had a closet of vhs tapes. Too bad there’s no photos.

Also 68345656 is not 68345793

are these any good?

Attached: cd slim + 2.5'' hotswap.jpg (1800x1673, 444K)

At least 2011, I had it back then...

Compared to # no.

>tfw i had to mod the shit out of my PC just to put a Blu-ray drive in there

Attached: 1490906458396.gif (200x200, 470K)

you havent seen shit yet hombre
the slot after usb is a hotswap hdd tray

Attached: IMG_20181104_150746.jpg (3024x4032, 3.12M)

2' or 3'? 2' are usually on the full tower corsairs, not sure for Thermaltake

10 total drive slots (including the hotswap bay ontop)

Because you could be ZUN.

Attached: d138a691-84cf-ea76-c5b4-7a4a4a7a9fa8.jpg (1536x2048, 530K)

Where do kids stash their weed then?

tape 12tb backup tape drive takes up 2 of the 5inch drives. then you need a 5inch drive with 6x 2.5inch removable drives then one left for bluray

hence 4drives is optimal.

This. I'm using this NZXT case that I bought for 40 bucks on sale last year. Every modern case is copypasting this design.

Attached: nzxt-s340-white-gaming-case-1000px-v2-0003.jpg (1000x1000, 65K)

I feel you. It's insane that an old technology like blu ray still has relatively expensive hardware associated with it.