For those of you that did CS in college, what was your experience like? Did you enjoy it or hate it...

For those of you that did CS in college, what was your experience like? Did you enjoy it or hate it? I'm doing it now and I find it miserable personally, nowhere near as interesting as I'd thought it would be. Pretty sure I'm gonna switch majors soon. Also any general stories and advice would be great

Attached: 1536980381971.jpg (1068x1481, 661K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-VfnSZt-5pw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I'm interested in going for it soon. Can you expand on what makes you miserable?

It may be because I'm only in the second year, but basically everything we're doing is boring as shit or hilariously inefficient, plus I'm starting to realize that I can learn 95% of this shit on my own time and probably learn it way faster. I also dislike the type of people that are doing CS, either they're turbo nerds/autists or normies that can't code for shit. I just don't feel like I'm getting anything useful out of it, with the pressure of having to do exams and assignments when I don't find the work interesting, hence why I find it miserable. So that's why I was wondering if anyone else feels/felt this way

It's boring, but that piece of paper that says you managed it without killing yourself has more value than it deserves.

CE major but close enough:

Too many brainlets do CS expecting to learn software engineering and programming then get burned out doing the math and algorithm design because they think it's useless to their future web developer monkey job (it is).
Another problem is too many CS departments water down their CS programs with software engineering and end up skimping on theory, making it difficult for people that wanted to learn CS.

In either case, don't expect to learn how to program, find a relevant topic (e.g. ML, AI, Cybersec) to be interested in and relate your classes, electives, projects (you must have personal projects) to, and know what your program is actually going to be preparing you for.

I see. Thanks.

some people don't need school, others do. I definitely needed it for the structure and being surrounded by similar people. If you are super motivated, you can learn everything for free online, but the trick is understanding whats important, and I wouldn't know what unless I went to school

graduated 4 years ago from a midwest state school, started at 68k in the midwest, now at 103k in NYC

Attached: don.jpg (472x605, 241K)

I enjoyed my CS experience in college outside of the math and physics courses. My college used those as money makers and both the instruction and texts were absolute shit. It made no sense how I was expected to practice something that I didn't learn in the first place. Wound up learning more math from mid-00's search engines than the courses themselves. The college gets the free defense of turning around and saying the students are bad at math. Foreign transfer ins who knew the material already wiped their asses with the courses.

Never gave them a fukken dime in alumni donations.

Attached: 1395011540399.png (800x720, 708K)

also, do things outside of your homework/classes. during school vacation learn a new language, etc. be exposed a little bit to everything early on, and you'll see how everything is really similar in the end

It's very meh desu. If you're not a brainlet, you can literally skip every class and do everything on your own. Spend your time building your portfolio and having fun. The actual education I'm getting is basically turning in homework and taking exams. Nearing the end of 3rd semester and I've never met a single one of my professors or really go to any non attendance mandatory classes. It'll feel like a joke, but it's a paper you need to make good money.

Also if you're going to a non top 25-50 school for CS in the US, forget about it. Your degree will be pretty useless and you'll be unhirable without a good portfolio and multiple internships.

Attached: 1532426966077.jpg (600x600, 86K)

I tell people this shit all the time and they never listen; if you're gonna go to college, go for literally anything BUT computer science. Most of the shit they have you do is useless and isnt necessary for the outside world.

Attached: The truth about CS.png (1155x409, 89K)

>top 25-50 school for CS in the US
They suck too. Lower schools suck more but that's like arguing who is the least disabled in the Special Olympics...

The reason they water it down is because fags can't pass the courses. I'm in DS&A and if the class ended today half of the people in there would fail.

>nowhere near as interesting as I'd thought it would be.
What did you expect?
Cs is litterally discrete maths + some programming.
I work now in machine learning and image processing and sure as hell i wouldn't have been able to study this shit on my own.
First time i saw fourier transform, it sounded like black magic to me. Hopefully I had a competent teacher to answer my questions and show me advanced tips.
Same for C++ metaprogramming with opengl, this shit is so mindfuck you need experts to explain it to you in person.

CS is for you if you plain on doing low-level or theory oriented stuff, if you wanted to do java, js or webshit in general, you can learn this and be productive in literally one week without any prior knowledge.

What job do you have now? 103k sounds low for NYC
It's not even that, it's fucking boring as fuck. Like right now I have an assignment due in a few days and I can't even try to start it because it's bores the fuck out of me.

Oh fug thank goodness I scraped into the top 20, although the graduate program sucks

How did going to school for CS prepare you for machine learning and image processing? And I'm talking strictly about the CS classes, not the math courses

wut
math is part of the cs courses.
cs courses are math, programming, physics, whatever.
There is no such thing as "cs course"

Either you're baiting or you're not an American, or youre just retarded and not understanding what I'm saying

I don't understand these people who say that requiring a certain level of intellectual competence is "racist". Are they saying black people are stupid? Because that sure seems like what they're saying.

what we need is BLACK MATH

And to answer the text in the OP, I'm guessing you're one of those dumbfucks who went into CS thinking they were going to teach you how to make video games. Well, surprise, surprise!!! CS is a serious field where you have to actually use your brain.

>article says nothing about black people
>THIS ARTICLE MUST BE ABOUT BLACK PEOPLE

Well, I kinda assumed that that was implied since they have a picture of a bunch of black people right below the title.

That is exactly what they're saying. It's similar to the white teachers in inner city schools that have low expectations of the students because they're all minorities and "shouldn't be compared to white kids". But what blows my mind is how these people don't see that this line of thinking is racist as fuck.
Who else would it be about, asians?

youtube.com/watch?v=-VfnSZt-5pw

>Dur anyone who isn't like me is vidya
KYS

Also
>you have to actually use your brain
Except you really dont. At best, CS classes consist of problem solving with memorization. There is very little to almost zero critical thinking involved.

>get rid of algebra requirement for any community college student who isn't a STEM major

I'm no expert, but it looks like its about community college students who aren't STEM majors

But that's fucking stupid and would make their degree worthless, especially if they're transfering to a 4 year. They'd be so far behind math wise they'd have to switch majors or not enroll at all. It's better to make them take it so if they can't do it they learn early on that STEM is not for them. But apparently having this expectation that minorities should learn math is racist

In my experience, the vast majority of people who get into computer science do so because they think they're going to learn vidya. That's just my observation.

I loved getting my CS degree. I do wish it had been more challenging, but I went to a bottom-tier school. Landed a IoT reverse engineering gig a month after graduating. About 25% of what I needed to know to get the job I learned in class, with the other 80% from self studying, OSCP, and Sec+, but without the degree, I would never have gotten an interview. There were other jobs I were offered that more closely tracked to my CS degree, including a Java development position, but that seemed more boring and the pay was lower.

What I still haven't learned is to proof read before hitting "post". Fuck me.

Attached: 1537405785230.jpg (1188x1676, 238K)

Also, if CS classes aren't challenging, it's probably because you're going to a shitty school. I know there are a lot of classes that consist of little more than memorizing and regurgitating information (that's true of any field). Any CS class worth your time will require you to design some algorithms, prove a few theorems, or something similar.

103k is pretty low for NYC. I make almost 150k in north Atlanta suburbs. Self taught software dev here.

If you don't know algebra you don't have the right to a 2-year degree. Any job you get with that degree will require algebra, and getting rid of the requirement is completely inane.

What kind of subhuman can't pass a fucking algebra class? That teach all of that shit in high school for fuck's sake.

>Pretty sure I'm gonna switch majors soon.
Yeah I switched to InfoSys because of the maths requirement. Turns out it's more interesting.

OP here, I'd much rather do math than CS at this point. Math can get annoying at times but I find it far more enjoyable than programming.

Just out of curiosity, what school did you go too?

Then do math, I was the opposite. I thought I liked computers, but I really liked their application and networks more than anything.
But man, I hate java.

I went to a community college. So yeah, my CS classes have all been insipid and unchallenging. I learn what I can from books, tutorials, and Coursera courses. I find those a lot more stimulating.

Attached: 1540442021388.png (860x5600, 394K)

Wow this is depressing to read

That picture, while the title is stupid, I don't see the problem with non-STEM students not having to take algebra.

Higher education has been severely dumbed down in the last few decades to make it more accessible to the masses. Back in the Good Old Days, the only people who went to college were rich people and people who were exceptionally bright. Now that everyone is expected to go to college regardless of their intelligence or economic status, college professors have been forced to severely dumb down their curricula in order to maintain a decent enrollment. I've actually heard people say that they went to university expecting it to be this massive challenge, and they found that it was in fact easier than high school.

Conclusion: Having a degree is not a sign of intelligence. Get over yourselves, educucks, and stop trying to justify your poor life decisions and massive student loan debts.

Then why are STEM majors force to take bullshit gen ed classes, most of which are "diversity" indoctrination. Get rid of that shit first, then we'll talk about niggers not having to learn math.

Or get rid of both.

Dude, it's fucking algebra. As someone else correctly pointed out, you have no business being anywhere near a college if you can't pass that class. Give me a fucking break here. They already get away with not having to take Calculus, hence why there's so many meme degrees/graduates floating around, now they want to set the bar even lower by getting rid of algebra? What's next, getting rid of writing classes because making minorities read books and write essays is racist?

I just moved to the area. Any job hunting tips?

Yeah, get the fuck out of there. NYC is a massive dump and that user is being severely underpaid, especially if he lives in Manhattan

This makes me salty as hell, because I got basically conned by my community college because of this bullshit. First semester back in 13 I was just following the plan the advisor set up for me. They had placed me in the lowest credited math possible (basically college algebra) and on that plan it was literally impossible, taking a math class every semester and even summer semesters, to earn my associates within two years, and by the time I realized this, it was already too late.

For any kids just going into college, do your fucking homework, and don't trust those advisors, especially CC ones. Their job is to keep you in that school as long as physically possible, and they're almost universally stupid as shit.

IMO you shouldn't be allowed to declare a major if you have to take remedial classes. I've seen a lot of people go through all the remedial math classes easily, only to get rekted later on because they're taking all upper division classes for their major and just starting on the actual tougher math/science shit.

I'm hating it, but just from the college experience in general. So much time is spent on pointless classes that you only get about two semesters of classes relating to your interests in an undergrad degree.

>getting rid of writing classes because making minorities read books and write essays is racist?
I'd actually like it if they got rid of them, yeah. I had to take two composition courses, tech writing, world lit, and a couple others all as required courses, and did not learn a single new thing from any of them because they just see if you know how to read.

>It's not even that, it's fucking boring as fuck.
Dude, maybe programming isn't for you. It sounds like maybe you're only in it for the exciting sexy stuff, which may not be the right reason to be in it. :/

>There is no such thing as "cs course"
riiiiiiight...i guess that class i took on compilers was a physics course?

>CS classes consist of problem solving with memorization. There is very little to almost zero critical thinking involved.
What kind of retard college are you going to where there is no critical thinking in your cs classes?

you're being a bit disingenuous acting like there's no subtext in that photo and text about race. if you put a picture of a black person next to the words "civil rights", it's pretty easy to see how someone would think it's about race.

genuinely curious: what made you think you wanted to do cs in the first place?

I went to a crappy school my cs degree was seriously lacking but at least its accredited

And that's the point, you'd be surprised how many people graduate high school and can't even read at a high school level. Which is pathetic on a lot of levels but that's the reality.
That's why 90% of the people in CS are in it, at least at the college level
Name one situation in a CS course where critical thinking is required

I enjoyed the lower levels a lot and I couldn't imagine doing anything else, so I assumed the more advanced topics would be really interesting and cool. But let me guess, you expected me to say I wanted to make video games and make 500k a year right?

Sucks a million balls

Whats the most brainless “code monkey” career path for a CS major? I just want a $50k job with bennies i dont care about six figures or beamers any of that shit

Attached: AAD11B2E-0306-4C95-8507-6C55A831A097.jpg (750x845, 110K)

Testing/debugging or web dev, though you're gonna be making a lot less than 50k a year and be competing with pajeet

>Name one situation in a CS course where critical thinking is required
Anything that involves taking a real-world problem, abstracting it into a mental model, then modeling that in code and writing code to solve that problem.

That's problem solving, not critical thinking

Nice mental gymnastics.

>But let me guess, you expected me to say I wanted to make video games and make 500k a year right?
No, I was just trying to figure out if it was something that you were really into or not. For comparison, the first time I touched a computer and wrote a simple program, I knew that that was what I wanted to do. Here, 35 years later, I still love solving problems in code. My college courses were tough, and I've worked on some projects that were challenging because they were kind of boring (but I always could find something interesting in them to keep me excited), but overall, I've always been super excited about whatever I'm working on. All of my children, on the other hand, have tried it out and none of them like it, so they're pursuing other things. I think that if it's not "in your blood", then it could be worthwhile to pursue something else. Programming can mentally torture you at times, and if you don't have the mettle for it, it could make you very unhappy in your life.

lol what the fuck do you think critical thinking is?

Something this person clearly lacks, no doubt.

>wee isz reel eegineerz

Attached: 1513007204881.png (866x900, 95K)

You can't even engineer a good counter-argument. KYS, retard.

>tfw I'm the brainlet CS is aimed at
>already know I'll be unhirable due to zero skill and incredibly low intelligence
Seriously, should I just an hero?

Nah, the fact that you came to this realization alone puts you ahead of the pack

>Tons of useless subjects breezed through such as history and ethics
>Discrete math
>Algebra
>Calculus
>Boomers teaching actual CS subjects use Java/PHP with their dead frameworks.
That's about my experience with my degree
Everything that got me a job was learned immediate AFTER college.

Attached: 1540311873965.jpg (500x475, 34K)

Theres no way it could pay less than $50k for a bachelors. Thats waitress money

Why would you aim for 50k if you're getting a bachelors? Are you black or something?

I want easy not rewarding

Bachelors != big salary. 50k is 16k more than teachers make with a bachelors in my area

College is such a fucking scam, ever increasing costs and admin bloat and ever decreasing worth.

You showed them

I was in the same boat as you, then I switched major to SCM with Finance minor, and got my A+, Network+, Security+, Server+ and CEH from Comptia...then I got a job for one of the largest inventory firms in the country as a sys admin (started junior position and worked up). The certs and the fact that I had a degree in their field landed me the job, now I just sit in my office and order techs around. Easy fabreezy

And where is this, Detroit?

Then get a job doing security overnight if you want "easy". No need to waste years of your life and money for that

If i found a security gaurd position paying $50k + bennies i would

>I want colleges to continue to rape my ass and everyone else

Haha you tell em

I realized halfway through it I wanted to do electronics and I literally want to KMS now

Fugging loved it, shit was wild. The only thing that sucked were the pointless sjw/gen ed classes I was forced to take.

College is going to be what you make it. If you're playing video games and partying constantly you're wasting your money. If you are constantly studying like it's a full time job you'll get a lot out of it. That being said, maybe 10-20% of my starting CS class actually graduated. Most switched to other, easier majors or dropped out.

Also, don't trust your advisor. You figure out what classes to need/want. Also, before you go to college spend as much money on CLEP and AP tests, study from books. Take these even if there's only a 5% chance you'll pass. Retaking classes in college sucks so much, and the cost of a test is way less than the time and money you'll waste in an equivalent college course.

First couple years are memes, but you need that formal training in the basics (even if you been working with it for years self taught like myself) because it fills in gaps you didn't know existed. Then later on you pick up some things you're not particularly interested in but once you force yourself through them are quite rewarding, I took Computing Theory (Chomsky, Turing) this year and found it challenging but extremely rewarding once I picked it up, also took 3D graphics elective which was very hard initially because it made us learn near every damn feature of OpenGL but I feel super confident with it now.
tl;dr it's more valuable than you think, stick with it!!

Attached: FB_IMG_1540952035565.jpg (700x609, 34K)

>Also if you're going to a non top 25-50 school for CS in the US, forget about it. Your degree will be pretty useless and you'll be unhirable without a good portfolio and multiple internships.
Some regional schools are actually really underrated. They are rare but they do happen. Don't worry if you don't make a top 25, check out regional uni's and see if there is one that really stands out. The Uni I went to for example is the top school in the nation for my SCM program but shit at most everything else.

i started CS this semester. im not having issues, im just not feeling it. shits not fun or interesting. fuck me for falling for this meme

My college isnt ranked but a lot more selective than most “top 50” schools. Im happy with the level of education im getting

Trust me, if you don't like the beginner shit you're DEFINITELY not gonna like data structures. You'd be wise to switch now before you get in too deep

my shit isn't going to count for shit though. what im going to do with this shitty math points. why do i even bother

You don't know that for sure. Odds are it'll count toward whatever you switch to as free electives, even if it's non stem. Just be grateful you found out now you're not into CS as opposed to your 3rd or 4th year.

>First time i saw fourier transform, it sounded like black magic to me
The Fourier transform decomposes a function of time into the frequencies that make it up, in a way similar to how a musical chord can be expressed as the frequencies of its constituent notes

Me too, fren

Are you miserable because professors are fucking you or because you don't like it? If it's because of the professors, it'll be the same no matter your major unless psychology or English