/ag/&/am/: audio general & audiophile memes

we're JBL again boys edition

Attached: 2038507535_019d7b14_zz.jpg (1275x1650, 185K)

Other urls found in this thread:

sweetwater.com/store/detail/T7V--adam-audio-t7v-7-inch-powered-studio-monitor
amazon.com/Pioneer-DJ-DM-40-PAIR-Excellent/dp/B01DW36BO0
amazon.com/Edifier-R1700BT-Bluetooth-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B016PATXSI
amazon.com/dp/B01D43ZJGO/
adafruit.com/product/1752?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzpv-hfS53gIVgrfACh0VlQT4EAQYASABEgLWgvD_BwE
parts-express.com/peerless-by-tymphany-oc25sc65-04-1-textile-dome-tweeter--264-1018?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pla&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrqTgk_y53gIVxIuzCh3XDQQVEAkYASABEgL7lvD_BwE
thxstandard.com/#!/compare-products/speakers/powered-studio-monitors/focal-alpha-65-vs-yamaha-hs8/28,24/40//
therationalaudiophile.wordpress.com/the-signal-path-of-virtue/
youtu.be/XJJy6VJvSCk
therationalaudiophile.wordpress.com/2015/09/03/kii-three/
therationalaudiophile.wordpress.com/2014/11/21/kyron-audio/
groundsound.com/products.php
analog-precision.com/UPXO.html
minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box/minidsp-10x10-hd
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

last thread
and the retard who got memed on to buy a $450 cable is back to justify it

Attached: jbll220-A.jpg (900x843, 549K)

JBL BEST

Attached: 1UaRLok.jpg (2620x4656, 2.16M)

>harbethanon is the one that fell for the $450 cable meme and is trying to justify it

No, we are two with 4367 here on /ag/

Got the couch downstairs into the theater room anons. Had to pull the trim off the doorway to get the thing to fit

Pics?

Opinion on these? I really like them
sweetwater.com/store/detail/T7V--adam-audio-t7v-7-inch-powered-studio-monitor
They'll be about 4 feet away from me roughly, I won't be buying a sub at first
Pretty much strictly for music at my desktop. No movies or anything like that.

Attached: fug.jpg (1080x1080, 218K)

I care about audio and am willing to pay more for it, but I don't want to take up space on my desk. Is a sound card a fair option?

Most motherboards these days have the Realtek ALC1220. Is it comparable to say a Asus Xonar Essence STX?

Gigabyte Aorus Master states it's audio as: 125dB SNR AMP-UP Audio with ALC1220 & High-End ESS SABRE 9118 DAC with WIMA audio capacitors

I don't know much about audio quality, so please don't flame me too hard, if you have some useful input I'd like to hear it

Attached: AorusMaster.jpg (2301x1226, 212K)

With that integrated audio hardware you're golden for everything basic. Volume, and better then a fuzzbox cheap China made dac/amp.

If you want to upgrade, save up 1,200 bucks for a good package that will be noticeably better.

>1,200
a topping DAC would do him fine for headphones

You probably won't need a sub if the 45hz is anything remotely true. They look like good basic monitors. You could probably get the same quality out of an overnight sensations diy kit for considerably cheaper.

Sound cards can work. I think most people here would prefer a discrete option for one reason or another.
The main reason you get a dedicated device or a sound card is for inputs, noise/interference issues, or the convenience of having multiple functions handled in one device. The STX is a fine card as a converter and less excellent directly into headphones.

I wouldn't know the actual quality of the onboard solutions without testing the devices. So, I would lean to the thing I do know: the STX.

The Topping would be a sidegrade. 1200 bucks gets you good 500-700 dollar speakers, a nice but cheap amp/DAC to power them and MAYBE a headphone upgrade.

Will post later

Hmm alright I appreciate the help. Looks like I need to do some research into some quality 2.1 systems and be more open to getting a discreet amp/dac I can place somewhere.

It seems much of the online debate about motherboard audio is that it has improved over the years, but most would still consider/choose a discreet option, but that requires not buying a cheap one to get the proper benefits from it.

Attached: xonar essence stx.jpg (500x372, 36K)

The tweeter on my B&W CDM-1NT is broken, B&W want over $100 USD + shipping for a replacement, any aftermarket alternatives or way to repair cheaply? I tested it with a multimeter and there’s no continuity either side of the tweeter, so i imagine the coil is fuakked

Attached: image.jpg (2592x1936, 1.13M)

The Pass Amp Camp Amp is up for pre-orders again on diyaudio. Anybody else getting one?

Thoughts?

Attached: doubleimpact-77_2_orig.jpg (449x800, 56K)

my 50khz sonys are better.

>overnight sensations diy
Wow that price is fucking incredible. It comes to like $165 with an amplifier.
So here are some comparably priced speakers from a quick search. Is the overnight sensations still the best bet?
Sorry for the links ahead of time
Pioneer DM40 - $150 amazon.com/Pioneer-DJ-DM-40-PAIR-Excellent/dp/B01DW36BO0
Edifer R1700BT - $150
amazon.com/Edifier-R1700BT-Bluetooth-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B016PATXSI
Rockville APM6W - $150
amazon.com/dp/B01D43ZJGO/

I also found another DIY kit from swan for about $200

I got these yesterday and I like the sound quality and how it fits perfectly in my ear

Attached: IMAG0315.jpg (3264x1836, 1.21M)

Ready to have your mind blown further?

adafruit.com/product/1752?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzpv-hfS53gIVgrfACh0VlQT4EAQYASABEgLWgvD_BwE

Wire one of these up in each box and you've got a biamped set.

>B&W CDM-1NT
parts-express.com/peerless-by-tymphany-oc25sc65-04-1-textile-dome-tweeter--264-1018?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pla&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrqTgk_y53gIVxIuzCh3XDQQVEAkYASABEgL7lvD_BwE

When I move into my next place I'm going to rent a place that allows me to use speakers without any concern for disturbing others and make DIY speakers a hobby.
I just spent a while going through all the driver options on just that one page.
Just need a really good measurement mic and I could make the best sounding shit ever.

>WARNING: Cancer and Reproductive Harm
Okay, how is this tweeter causing cancer?

probably california shit

KEF LS50 or Genelec 8030C?

if you eat it

wth up with that baffle.

the stupid california law was written so broadly that just to protect themselves, companies put this on all the products because there's no penalty for over-compensation.

I got a cambridge audio topaz dac/amp combo wired to two big speakers from where I play vinyl. it's on the other side of the room from where my PC is. now, what's the best way to play tracks from my PC to there? is there some sort of thing available that connects through my wifi or something?

usb dac on your desk with its line out connected to your amp's auxiliary input

audiophool lifestyle product or a pair of good speakers, hmm tough choice...

Attached: 8030A-LS50.png (1200x1110, 246K)

They both look very similar. I like the way the genelec looks more.
Get the genelec they're aesthetic as fuck

they don't look similar at all, ls50 are garbage compared to genelecs (especially that 2khz glare ewww)

Anyone tried the Focal Alpha 65 powered monitors? I've got KRK Rokit 6's right now and want to upgrade in the near future. Been reading gearslutz forums and these seem to be pretty good for the money. They would come for both studio and hi-fi use.
Another candidate is Yamaha HS8 but they seem to be a bit harder to get sounding good. I've got a pretty shit room (planning on doing some diy-treatment at some point).
At the really high-end I've looked at Neumann KH120's and Genelec 8030's, but wonder if they go low enough for using without a sub. There's a 90% chance I'm not buying anything this expensive though. Genelecs seem to be better for hi-fi and general use though?

Attached: 9912166_800.jpg (482x600, 42K)

I was trying out different placement of my bookshelves in the living room (about 3 x 7 meters, i'm using the short side). I tried to put them on the floor in the two corners, close to the back wall and the side wall, with some books under them to make them point up at the listening spot. I was amazed by the bass, that i never heard so low and strong coming from those speakers. I was also impressed by how harder it was to locate the speakers, the sound was much more broad across the room. Despite these two very good things the mids and highs were destroyed and muffled and i couldn't hear a lot of details. I tried to equalize (5 bands) but it seems like an eq setting that makes certain pieces sound good doesn't really work for other pieces. I could try to play around more with more advanced equalizers but is it worth it? Will i ever make that placement sound good?

Aim for Genelec 8330 if you want genelec imo. Just save for a bit and invest more money, speakers are long term investment, and you can enjoy those for 5-10 years without any problem.

Got a pair of Wharfedale EVP S15's in my room. What is /ag/ag/ thoughts on this? First time posting in anything like this.

thxstandard.com/#!/compare-products/speakers/powered-studio-monitors/focal-alpha-65-vs-yamaha-hs8/28,24/40//

your site seems to be broken

Attached: chrome_2018-11-04_13-09-05.png (1099x563, 26K)

I hear people all the time talking about speakers being to big for a room, what do they mean by that?
>Bigger woofers makes more bass
But there are big woofers that's highly tuned and small woofers that are tuned lower. And is it a problem with the bigger woofer being more sensitive than a smaller one if the mid/tweeter is just as sensitive?

Attached: IMG_0164.jpg.b7bd50626d4a6d6d7cf929760234acf5.jpg (1440x1080, 363K)

try again later, it's a great resource but works like shit

I don't see how them being placed 1m lower than as normally elevated could affect the sound as much as you say. But I can only suggest to try and raise them much higher and see if that makes a difference?

Hey I'm new to /ag/

What is a good starter 3.1 or 5.1 build for under $500?

There's no real point to go with 3.1 as the two front speakers can emulate the center.

It's not only 1 meter lower, it's also about 60cm closer to the side wall. Before i tried the corner placement I kept them distanced from the side wall because i read that you should do that on some guide. Raising them higher makes a difference, there is a lot less bass, it's easier to identify where the sound comes from and mid and highs are much more defined

July 2017
KEF ls50, denon x3300w

Attached: EEE29EF7-02E2-45A7-B9A1-41AEB6CB91CF.jpg (4032x3024, 1.69M)

possible, but then I'd need a 20m cable and I'd have to switch audio output meaning I can't watch videos simultaneously.
do you know of something where I can just stream music to that can live on its own? Like a chromecast but for audio

Attached: 5b841e803428917ac56ba2991c815906.jpg (3872x2592, 1.06M)

>motherboard audio is that it has improved over the years
The fact is people don't need dac/amp unless they have a problem they need to solve, specifically gpu noise on big monitors. If you don't have some glaring issue with mobo audio then spending money isn't going to magically fix something. You just wasted the money for no improvement whatsoever.

Powered monitors or passive ones for turntable?

Passive ones would need an amp.

Any suggestions?

Post some sexy gear
Does the turntable have a built-in RIAA?

Attached: htbc4j.jpg (1365x2047, 504K)

Yes, turntable in question is AT-LP120

Thanks for the first part of your info, but I haven't bought anything yet, that's why I'm doing research and getting an idea on what to buy.

are studio monitors for a desktop pc a bad idea? i want really good sound quality

Its a good idea, lots of people do it

no, they're great (depending on the speakers of course)

That's what they are designed for. And many of them have adjustabilities that comes in handy when placing them on a desk close to a wall.

Attached: Genelec_83_02-LUZKZBCVQ44prp1mDyu.pTsX.FMNiytR.jpg (1000x665, 313K)

I hope you are following the signal path of virtue, user.

therationalaudiophile.wordpress.com/the-signal-path-of-virtue/

Attached: IMG_09.jpg (900x645, 104K)

Is there a DSP+DAC+CROSSOVER+PREAMP box out there?

Attached: b4f215c0080ebba73290bea95a976053.jpg (900x1600, 192K)

You can make one with enough duct tape

Well I knew that, but I'm to lazy for DIY

yeah but they all cost $10k+ even though it's a fairly cheap setup. so the only way is dyi.

Has anyone got recommended cheap binding posts? Cheap banana plugs seem to be easy to find but not the counterpart for cabinets.

>But there are big woofers that's highly tuned and small woofers that are tuned lower.
If the woofers had the same tuning, the bigger one would have more output and higher sensitivity.
When you see mains with really large woofers, 15 inches or larger, they're not normally tuned for subwoofer range. These are usually high-efficiency drivers pulled from pro use. They require smaller cabinets than subs and are normally mated to a compression driver in a horn.
>And is it a problem with the bigger woofer being more sensitive than a smaller one if the mid/tweeter is just as sensitive?
Any competent design will attenuate the more sensitive parts (usually the tweeters) to match the other parts. If the woofers cannot sink enough power to compensate, they will be the weak point for maximum system SPL. This is often the case for small bookshelves and towers.

Digital crossover boxes are commonplace(see miniDSPs for an inexpensive option). By necessity, they are also equalizers.
Most will have analog outputs rather than only a digital passthrough.
An amplifier for low-level inputs? They will do that as part of manipulating gains for filtering.
Volume control? Some have remote controls, I don't know of many with pots.

>When you weren't sure if everyone knew you were a virgin so you arranged your room to remove all doubt.

Can you name some?
That doesn't answer the meme why a big speaker would be too big for a small room
What are you talking about? Owning large speakers is alpha as fuck, and the few women I've seen in audio runs large speakers.
The only virginity you will lose by buying cute speakers is your anal one.
Even the guy at 58sec has a GF
youtu.be/XJJy6VJvSCk

Attached: HF_0012.jpg (1632x1224, 209K)

Chromecast Audio

someone make a zoomer meme with aes harman papers and lsr305

I don't remember but the blog reviews a number of them.

theyre not wrong about the enelgi thing. where i am the lines are so impure you need a filter. i think he probably went overboard, stage 12 power filtering would have done the same thing

here we go

therationalaudiophile.wordpress.com/2015/09/03/kii-three/
"the final speaker"

therationalaudiophile.wordpress.com/2014/11/21/kyron-audio/

dsp5, meridian dsp, LA tikandi, beosound

all horrifically overpriced

All new 83xx genelecs are DSP based too. And many others like JBL 7series etc.

The DEQX HDP-4 seems to be what I'm looking for. Only $5K as well.

Attached: Rear-panel-HDP-4-SMPS.png (1200x535, 53K)

A big speaker won't fit? If you have the usual room issues, a smaller speaker with enough bandwidth will drive all the same problems a bigger would.

That costs entirely too much for a what a DLCP and input board can do. That's just wrong.
Some of those processors add in room correction, which most of the time can be done better by yourself.

>A big speaker won't fit?
Well that's only a matter of how much Vaseline is required. What I'm asking about are the people who claim that a 12" woofer won't work but a 5" will in a small room.

Attached: P1050307.jpg (1600x1200, 372K)

beaming and sensitivity issues perhaps. have heard assertions that big speakers dont sound their best at low volumes

>beaming and sensitivity issues perhaps
Beaming depends on the design of the speaker, there should be no problems as long as the woofer is crossed over low enough, and hihg sensitivity being a problem?

Attached: IMG_9663a_a0ce195c-bc42-41af-965b-3917ef0b5fb9_2048x.jpg (1964x1308, 492K)

groundsound.com/products.php

>spotlights
that's a no from me

nothing as uncomfy as specular lighting

The vertical sweet spot of those big woofer-horns is usually not that wide. Especially if that's MTM and not a 2.5-way speaker. The summing point would be a fair distance away even for a usual TM horn-pro woofer combo.
This has to do mid-high transition usually.

Some amount of woofer directivity is good, will reduce midrange sidewall reflections. It comes down to how smooth the directivity transition between drivers is.

why all this shit is so expensive when i can just get a 5.1 gaming sound card from a junk yard, a free software and it will work even better

analog-precision.com/UPXO.html

minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box/minidsp-10x10-hd

Sure it will "work". But you can get anything to recreate sound. It's how good it sounds at different volumes, at different distances, it's how clean the sound is versus electrical interference.

If the junkyard sound card and free software is good enough for you, then awesome. Go for it.

audiophool triggered

>sound card
>speaker

I lost my headphones and need some new iem what's the Jow Forums recommended flavor?

Tin Audio T2 if you're poor, ER4SR/XR if you're less poor, Andromeda or similar unit to taste if you're not poor.

Oh, or STAX if you want actual headphones and not IEMs. Derp.

>using passive speakers in 2k19

Did you guys know JBL (and AKG) are Samsung companies?

Is it possible to get a decent USB sound interface with a phono preamp as well as a mic preamp? Basically something like the Scarlett 2i2 but with ports/settings for phono as well as mic and line in

Dont really see how it impacts anything. The board/ceo are probably pretty much the same at harman.

Get a super long USB cable rather than a super long audio cable so you don't need to worry about signal quality

The Harman board of directors looks a lot more Korean than it used to, but the CEO and president is still the same guy it was during the last decade.
>inb4 pajeet

>being illiterate in 2018

being illiterate does not correlate with low intelligence
using passive speakers in 2k19 does