Why is the N64 so hard to emulate?

I won't lie that i'm a tech brainlet, but why is this thing so hard to emulate? considering that everything can be emulated even wii U and gamecube on modded consoles/PC. Why is this thing so hard to emulate? from what I have heard it's coding architechture is really complicated from what iv'e heard or it's just a pain in the ass to reverse engineer(again I could be wrong so please correct me if I am) but also considering you can pretty much run every other console under the gamecube/PS2 era on a phone why does this console have such a hard time running on portable devices let alone a PC in some cases? or how rareware games run like shit on modded consoles?

Attached: 71Q63NwfJEL._SX522_.jpg (522x237, 15K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_64_programming_characteristics
youtube.com/watch?v=HIRqc0M9U2E
youtu.be/_swVxhsOj_w
n64.icequake.net/doc/n64intro/kantan/step2/index1.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

because the processor has little bits of undefined behaviour iirc. probably to dissuade thieves.

What's hard about it, I've been emulating it since Pentium II

What the fuck are you talking about? It runs fine for what it is. That said, the geometry processing on the psx is very low precision (which gives the characteristic jittery polygons) and uses a simpler texture mapping method than the N64. It also lacks a z-buffer. So overall a much simpler rendering pipeline.

Wasn't it Sega Saturn that's a bitch to emulate?

i gave up and bought the real thing :/

Yeah, two SuperH CPUs + 2 VPUs + a Matrix Processing Unit + a M68K + quads as the primitive is a bitch and a half to emulate.

i think is the hardest /vr/ console to emulate

uses some weird SGI chip from a defunct company that died and was being retarded and making their own OS and Chips even in the early 90/2000s

Until the mid 2000s SGI was the best option when it came to 3d graphics

Sorry to post in your thread like this but I have a simple question.

I have a PS4 and XBOX 360 and a computer all with HDMI cables and I'm trying to connect them to my TV, I have a Sharp Roku TV bought recently.

There is 3 HDMI entries HDM1/ARC, HDMI2, HDMI 3.

I can connect every device to HDMI 2 and 3 and it works fine with any of the 3 cables I have.

However, I cannot connect anything to HDMI1/ARC, I tried connecting my three devices and I get no signal with the three different cables and devices.

How do I get signal in HDMI1/ARC?

Thank you.

trhow the piece of shit PS4

Xbox hueg must be up there as well. Also emulating x86 processors is really difficult due to all of the extensions and other bullshit.

>that spacing
uh oh

I'm thinking of getting an evercart 64, iv'e heard good things.

Certain games like Goemon always suffer from lag.

>making your sentences easy to read unlike OP's jumbled text.

It's a Unix ststem. I know this!

You can do that without doing it the way you did it
now fuck off

I didn't write that, but you guys call it "reddit spacing" I call it being able to fucking read sentences.

So it's the texture mapping is the issue then? why do rareware games have such trouble running on modded consoles? although I assume it's probably because Nintendo didn't release any of them on their digital services so they probably weren't optimized or whatever.

Sorry to post in your thread like this but I have a simple question.
I have a PS4 and XBOX 360 and a computer all with HDMI cables and I'm trying to connect them to my TV, I have a Sharp Roku TV bought recently.
There is 3 HDMI entries HDM1/ARC, HDMI2, HDMI 3.
I can connect every device to HDMI 2 and 3 and it works fine with any of the 3 cables I have.
However, I cannot connect anything to HDMI1/ARC, I tried connecting my three devices and I get no signal with the three different cables and devices.
How do I get signal in HDMI1/ARC?
Thank you.

Lets see how bad this really is...

the best option as in no one used it beside movie studios yes.

>you can pretty much run every other console under the gamecube/PS2 era on a phone
yes, you are most def a brainlet

n64 is pretty crap anyway
a few games might have been worth playing back in like 1998 but in 2018 there’s nothing worth playing on it

>Reddit spacing

perfect dark
wave race

Some games had special microcode for the co-processor, which was re-programmable. That makes it a huge pain in the ass.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_64_programming_characteristics
>Companies such as Factor 5,[3] Boss Game Studios and Rare, were able to write custom microcode that reportedly runs their game engines better than SGI's standard microcode.

Basically it optimized the co-processor for certain games but also makes those games a pain to emulate.
Rareware (DK64, Conker, etc.) and Factor 5 (Rogue Squadron, Battle for Naboo, Indiana Jones etc.) games still run like shit to this day.

Here's the problem.
The good games on the N64 are ONLY ON THE N64. It doesn't matter how many of them there are. That's the only way to fucking play them outside of the gamecube Zelda ports.
I can think of a few that stand the test of time. Mischief Makers, Star Fox 64, Arguably the best Mario Kart, Arguably the best Mario Parties, and just weird shit like Tetrisphere.

Early N64 titles are my favorite games. There's something fucking surreal about early 3D.

Attached: 1462067463428.png (236x176, 99K)

perfect dark (and goldeneye) are exactly what i’m talking about, sure they were good back in the day but they’re nearly unplayable trash by today’s standards
they didn’t hold up

the absolute state of Jow Forums

>Reading jumbled walls of text

No, actually the better texture mapping method would barely add any overhead in modern systems since it's handled by opengl. But still, things add up.
That said, I don't know if it explains the difference you're seeing with say the psx, difference which isn't that big IMO.
Maybe people just don't care that much about the N64, or it has some hard to emulate features so there isn't as much competition, who knows.

It was also pretty much exclusively used by console devs.

I think people would probably care though. It's probably Nintendo's most popular console especially amongst millenials.

It sucks because almost all of that is off the shelf parts, and apparently the architecture originally had less chips until the PlayStation revealed its 3D capabilities.

so that's why you'd randomly see vertices change position. this always made me laugh at Playstationlets

>why do rareware games have such trouble running on modded consoles?
shit british coding

more like good because they were able to exploit the hardware they were working with for maximum effect in a way no-one else could

this can actually be somewhat fixed with an emu called pcsxr-pgxp that adds a bunch of hacks to force higher precision

There's a video about it?

It's been a while, but I remember reading somewhere a while back that, for the longest time, the only emulation team working on the N64 was Project64, but at some point, the leader went full Jew and decided to inject malware in the Project64 installer for newer versions. This persisted for a number of months (Years?) and most people stopped installing newer versions of Project64 and just stuck with the old version; it wasn't perfect by any stretch but it just werked, more or less, and people didn't have to deal with malware-ridden installs.

Fast forward to today, and I think there's even more newer builds where the malware's been removed but has been replaced by nagware, though I think there's ways to modify the executable to disable it.

woah shit what? proof? and where can I download older versions?

Something about the N64 GPU

Attached: n64.png (849x458, 48K)

I just hope if the N64 mini comes out they can be hackable and then it's just a matter of loading rom files. There's no fucking way especially with the PS1 classic coming out they wouldn't do that move. It be retarded not to.

It will just be another emulator box anyway

It would probably cut down flashcart prices because right now they go for about 200-300 dollars depending what kind you get.

People get flashcarts because they don't want to use an emulator.
So that's unlikely

except in this case the N64 outside of the Saturn is one of the harder consoles to emulate.

Which is exactly why people get flashcarts, so they can play on real HW

That sounds like bullshit.
The N64 didn't have pixel shades, it was a very basic fixed rendering pipeline.
The microcode stuff is true though, but I think it shouldn't affect performance.

please explain to this brainlet.

It says it doesn't have one though, rather a programmable rasterizer

No, the N64 does not emulate that well. Yes, these games are playable, most of them (the important ones at least) are fully playable, but not accurately even at this point. No amount of angrylion is gonna suffice.

If you want to try where emulation is at right now, just grab Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon. That intro won't sync properly. I guarantee it.

From what I've read the microcode only decodes the vertex data from whatever format you want to have it encoded in main memory to a fixed format the rasterizer understands. The triangles and textures are then painted onto the framebuffer by non programmable hardware.

Alright, finally a somewhat decent thread on Jow Forums, what games in particular still give you noticeable problems on current emulators? I've only played the two Zeldas, SM64 and the original Paper Mario, and they ran perfectly.
The Zeldas also worked really well using the "override aspect“ option in Project64, which can extend, not stretch, the FOV to create a true widescreen view.

Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine is one example that for years has been a pain in the ass to emulate.

The reason why people look for accurate emulation, even though all the popular games are not only playable but they can also use high resolutions and all sorts of hacky shit to make them look "better", is because they are looking for the original visuals.

Here's an example:

youtube.com/watch?v=HIRqc0M9U2E

The N64 has nonstandard hardware (unlike e.g. the PS1 or Gamecube) and there's little publicly available documentation..
Additionally devs were more concerned with getting games to run fast than run correctly, making abominations like UltraHLE. We're stuck with huge shitty codebases that are basically unfixable.

THIS. This game has trouble running no matter WHAT you play it on.

does it run on an evercart?

OP here, i've been more interested in getting it to run on modded consoles. They recently got banjo kazooie running at full speed on the wii U but still no banjo tooie. Mystical Ninja starring goemon always lags and I think Mischief makers might have a save issue.

I'm thinking of getting an evercart because I heard it can play all games perfectly.

Fuck off Redditor scum

Check on your TV settings that the ARC port is not set for output, maybe it's just that.
Make sure you use a cable which supports HDMI 1.4.

I'm not entirely sure. To be fair in my opinion it's a game worth buying alone, but I would hope so.

>emulating x86 processors
It's literally a Pentium III, it's not emulated. The problem is the GPU, that's a modded piece with near to no datasheets available.

Yeah, like Dankey Kang 64, where it needed the expansion pack to stave off a memory leak for a few hours. Damn monkey code shipped broken and they sent a fucking RAM upgrade to deal with it.

> he can't read it if it's not redditspaced

>LiNe BrEaKs ArE REdDiT

they're a pretty good indicator someone's from there, yeah

Why do you need to emulate the GPU? Doesn't the DirectX-Box run directx? just translate the syscalls into gl4 or dx11

It wasn't really malware, just some shit like Ask toolbar or Baidu that you had to unselect when installing. And newer versions doesn't have this anymore, just a nag that appears after launching x times, that you can disable on a .ini file.

it's cute though. the pixel perfection of the n64 has no personality

Every single game has problems, but they most popular are playable. If you could put the real hardware side by side with an emulator you would understand. Games like Zelda Majora's look very different from what it's supposed to look.

pics?

It wasn't just DirectX, games do talk with the nv2a GPU, and without knowing how this GPU works, there's no way to emulate it properly. So no documentation = no emulation.

I'm pretty sure you can look at comparisons at youtube.

this but unironically

I have a PS4 and XBOX 360 and a computer all with HDMI cables and I'm trying to connect them to my TV, I have a Sharp Roku TV bought recently. There is 3 HDMI entries HDM1/ARC, HDMI2, HDMI 3. I can connect every device to HDMI 2 and 3 and it works fine with any of the 3 cables I have. However, I cannot connect anything to HDMI1/ARC, I tried connecting my three devices and I get no signal with the three different cables and devices. How do I get signal in HDMI1/ARC?

aand post on >>>/sqt/

This is a good one
youtu.be/_swVxhsOj_w

There's also that strange "multithreading" thing the CPU did , looks sort of like cooperative multitasking - just another of the N64's weird quirks.
n64.icequake.net/doc/n64intro/kantan/step2/index1.html

right, the real hardware looks way worse

because it's not upressed? are you a brainlet? they shouldn't have done that for the comparison either.

This is the answer. Until very recently the RCP was emulated at a high level (i.e. the functionality was emulated, not the actual operation) and if a game used its own microcode the emulator had to have a special case for it. Now there's a way to accurately and quickly emulate the RCP with Vulkan so hopefully a lot of N64 emulation issues will be fixed.

Just because a bug ridden emulator manages to boot the game and provide you with a playable approximation through game-specific hacks it does not mean it's decently emulated.

This is actually the best N64 emulation there is, and some games are not able to run full speed even on the latest CPUs.

ignoring that the texture mapping is awful on the pc and the sound quality difference is pretty noticeable

N64 emulators are already good enough to play all the first party games flawlessly. It's only a crapshoot if you're trying to play some totally obscure third party game. Same shit applies to PS2 emulation, first party stuff is always guaranteed to work but good luck trying to emulate shit like tales of panty quest legendia.

Does anybody here know about the quality of the N64 emulators that Nintendo uses for their Virtual Console? I'm too young to have played those games on the original system but I played the shit out of them on Wii and Wii U.

they're good enough for the games nintendo released on it. but it turns into shit if you try to sideload obscure third party game ROMs into it. just like PS2 classics emulation on slim PS3s.

Lack of documentation, unusual architecture, and there's not enough motivation to completely reverse-engineer the system (people don't generally get paid for console reverse-engineering).

Would my best bet for playing games made by developers like Factor 5 (who’s currently notorious for their games just being outright broken in emulation) be to just get an actual old Nintendo 64, hook it up to my laptop as a screen, and use one of those cartridges that you can upload a game to?
Do those things even work? I just want to play Rogue Squadron.

For anons that don’t even know what I’m talking about, there are some sort of N64 cartridges that have connections and the top left side of them that allow you to download a game to the cartridge and play the game on the N64. It was originally largely used for piracy. I think the type of port is an Ethernet cable port, but I could be wrong.

Attached: B0DDE2A5-F1BE-4178-A0BD-939DADA7D33E.jpg (413x413, 35K)

Apparently Nintendo can't even write an accurate emulator of their own system.

It used cartridges instead of CDs. In lamed terms, the interface and how it transmits information is radically different. Cartridge technology is slower, and more sporadic and is much harder for a modern x86 CPU to predict. I think cartridges might make a come back, I've written about it on the Nintendo forums a couple of times.

Forget that. DOSBox has tons of inaccuracies and stuff it doesn't emulate on incredibly simple PC hardware that all documentation is fully available for.

lol
really tho

and this would of get you cruxified here

but

honestly its not a big deal

just look at /v

almost 80% of /v posts come from r/gaming’s front page these days and literally more than half of /v cross posts on r/gaming

and
you know
its kinda crazy

many people cross post from reddit to herenand vice versus

infact these websites are almost the same except for user ids post history and post voting

ive been here for almost 2 months and really besides the excessive racism and women hating that goes on here it’s basixlly the same but i guess so of its inevadible with the anonymity here

i just dont know why the hate of reddit exists here. something must of happened before i started using these sites i guess

irregardlessly, we can work to move past this i feel

@68353232
>ive been here for almost 2 months
too obvious 4/10 made me reply

No. Complaining about reddit spacing is actually proof that you are a newfag from reddit. You have to go back.

It's a forced meme where some psychopath called Tioga060 started a coordinated campaign to label paragraphs as a Reddit shibboleth, even though the use of paragraphs have been around since the dawn of the site as a basic readability technique. He (along with redditors on Jow Forums and newfag autists) made it semi-plausible by pointing the finger at Reddit markdown formatting and newfags fell for it en masse and they've been using the phrase in a desperate attempt to fit in. Back in the day, it was blockposting like this that would get you told to fuck off. Look up "reddit spacing" in any Jow Forums archive and you'll see it started in 2016 with one or two mentions in 2015.

There are also newfags who start screaming "REDDIT SPACING" when they don't actually have a counter argument so they hope to derail the discussion by using the phrase against properly formatted long form replies as a wedge to start throwing ad hominems. I've been on this shithole since 2006 and people have been using paragraphs from the beginning.

My personal theory is that linebreaks after only a single sentence or two sentences are actually increasing because of the massive increase in phoneposting, because on small screens a single sentence can look like a whole paragraph.

tl;dr calling people out for reddit spacing on Jow Forums proves you're a newfag zoomer from reddit who is desperately trying to fit in. The phrase was invented by a psychopath who got banned from subreddits who actually uses Reddit and knows how Reddit's CSS works. Oldfags that wouldn't touch plebbit with a ten-foot pole wouldn't know what reddit spacing is.

just dont answer you idiot
i see you're talking to me jesus christ

That's because the devs are lazy faggots, not because it can't be done. For example, PCem supports the AT&T/Olivetti/Toshiba 640x400x2 mode but DOSBox doesn't.

They can't even fucking be bothered to support Ctrl-Break.

1994 era hardware made on the cheap, FPUs were only then becoming common on PCs
it was a valid cost cutting move at the time that kept performance high