Should I get a second hard drive for my laptop...

Should I get a second hard drive for my laptop? I finally decided to upgrade to a ssd because prices are so low it's basically stupid not to do it.
I downgrade from 1TB to 480gb and I'm think of getting a 2nd hard drive bay instead of the optical drive which I never use. The thing that makes me not want to do it is battery life and the fact that vibration and moving around is really not good for the hard drive. If I can turn off the drive whenever I want all this problems are solved and I can just turn it on whenever I want to watch a movie or something. Will windows let me disable the drive in device manager as long as the OS in not installed on it?

Attached: 2nd HDD.jpg (800x800, 47K)

>hard drive in CD slot caddy
Does that shit really exist? And will it work in my t430?

>falling for the SSD meme
lmao

Yes and yes.

Of course it exists, both are SATA devices and as such the only problem is the different form factor, which one of these things easily solves.

Not wanting your computer to function at 10x the speeds for a really small price

Attached: 1541093106083.jpg (800x1200, 150K)

How can you trust these caddys not to fry your hard drive?

For anyone asking, yes they exist. They also work just as well as advertised. The only problems I encountered were that I had to cut the metal pieces in some areas to get it to fit and I had to tape on the plastic cover from the old optical drive. It looks and works fine now though. It also won't support free fall detection for HDDs, but I'm using two SSDs so it's not an issue.

As a bonus, these things are hot swappable as long as they aren't being used as your current boot disk. Just unmount the partitions first before removing it.

Attached: 20181104_124453-1.jpg (2302x2172, 3.45M)

So can I just turn it off?

No. But you can unmount the partition and pull it out. It doesn't use much power anyways. I haven't noticed any difference in battery life.

Wew lad why would it? It's literally just a slot and a Sata connector

First post to Jow Forums in easily 15 years.

Bought one of these caddy's off of ebay for a £6, delivered next day, installed that day too. Using this to house my laptop's only HDD, as if and when I want to add another, then I'll install that second hdd to the easily accessable SATA port. The caddy's been reliable since day one. no read or write slow downs at all; there's a weird 3 position switch on the inside which I don't know what it does, but since I cant access it once installed and all works, I don't care. When removing the optical drive from yourlaptop, there'll be a removable metal anchor with screws at the back which holds everything in place; keep that and use it with the caddy, and similarly, as the caddy metal is china cheep, you should screw everything into place to form the screw threads on the caddy.

Because they're all cheap chinese ones.

Yes and yes, I use it for my windows system in my t430. I bought it cheap from aliexpress for less than $10.

Got a link to the product page?

I was thinking about it, even bought one for a t430 but I ended up getting a laptop with a slimmer bay so it didn't fit (t440p). The hdd which it came with is rather noisy and probably is gonna fail. I'm gonna ditch the hard drive it came with and save keep the cd drive for burning trash. m.2 ssds are even faster than sata ones but they are expensive. So effectively you could have 3 drives on your laptop. But I don't want to have an hdd on my laptop since they are more power hungry and noisy and slow, for a desktop it would be okay. But for a laptop an hdd is inconvenient.
tl;dr: I'm looking forward to get an m.2 and sata ssd, and keep the cd bay. Fuck hdds on laptops

Sadly no, it's been more than two years now, I still use it so even though it's chink stuff, it delivered for sure.

By the way if it matters at all, I exclusively use SSDs nowadays.

even chinks can't fuck it up

You broke a 15 year lurking streak to post about your hdd caddy? Wtf user.

Attached: 1537575135996.jpg (300x290, 14K)

this. they're alright. i didn't have a cd drive so i had to hack the plastic of my laptop to fit the caddy. also, had to order cd drive -> sata connector since i didn't have a cd drive but they're easy to come by. just do a bit of research by opening up your laptop and checking out what's what.

So disabling the device in the device manager won't turn it completely off?

No, retard. I just told you so.

>enjoys waiting for his stuff to load up
>thinking that most people fill up their 1TB hard drives

Best 3 Euros I spent in my life, chinks are based.

Been using that on my 2012 MacBook Pro. Having 2 SSDs is nice.