Are subdomains a privacy concern? This is what about:networking shows, and as you can see...

Are subdomains a privacy concern? This is what about:networking shows, and as you can see, you can infer someone's interests or what they are reading about from the subdomain names and metadata. Is there a solution to this? Why not just use subdirectories?

Attached: subdomain.png (308x218, 15K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nothing_to_hide_argument
github.com/ghacksuserjs/ghacks-user.js/blob/master/user.js#L460
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

If they can see your DNS requests anyway the subdomains don't really matter, they know what you're doing

Doesn't https obscure everything except the main domain?

yes

Still not as bad. Someone can see which domains/websites you visit and some metadata like frequency and times but no details about the actual content.

I don't know how it would look with a sniffer. That's why I'm asking, since about:networking is local. I know nothing after the domain name is leaked, but I don't know if the subdomain can be seen.

>no details about the actual content
Why does it matter? What do you have to hide? If you are doing something illegal then that will be enough to catch you. And if you're not, then even if they see the subdomain, it doesn't matter.
>b-but they're gonna know that I like baking cakes
Then I suggest that you get rid of all your electronics forever and cover your face next time you go to a store to buy flour. Otherwise they're gonna know that you like baking even if you have never tried it.

It's a principle. Why do you cover the windows where you live? Privacy and security also often go hand in hand.

>Why do you cover the windows where you live?
Terrible analogy. I don't cover the windows, my house has a lot of glass and you can see about 40% of the inside from the street.
>Privacy and security also often go hand in hand.
No. Exposure and security go hand in hand. Why do you think that banks are made of glass walls? Why doesn't anyone break in during the night? You act like you know you're guilty of something.

The argument of "why do you care if you are not doing anything wrong" is a horrible one, very Orwellian. A better analogy might be, why do you set your Facebook to private instead of public? Really, why would you not prefer more privacy? Do you also defend DRM?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nothing_to_hide_argument
Would you side with Assange and Snowden or Google?

I have a lot to hide, because things which are not actual crimes get misinterpreted as being potential criminal activity all the damn time

If this doesn't matter at all then why there is an industry referred to as "intelligence industry" :^)
Why these people bother if it doesn't matter?

>why do you set your Facebook to private instead of public?
I wouldn't if I had a Facebook. Why would anyone be on a public platform but then use it as if it were private? This is not a thing.
>Do you also defend DRM?
Of course. Unless everyone starts paying for what they use, DRM is needed in many cases.
>very Orwellian
>t-this book scares me
>forbid everything similar to what happens in it
Retard.
>Would you side with Assange and Snowden or Google?
With neither. To me this is not a matter of e-celebs, I couldn't care less about what happens to any of those.
>things which are not actual crimes get misinterpreted as being potential criminal activity all the damn time
This doesn't happen. You're doing something wrong.
You are retarded and have it backwards. You might as well ban the police, since crime still exists.

>You are retarded and have it backwards. You might as well ban the police, since crime still exists.

Do some research fren. Intelligence encompasses much more than terrorism and crime. This is the information age, keep this in mind.

You are the kind of person who would start a petition for mandatory RFID chips. Sad!

jesus christ i have to go from this shithole

>muh buzzwords
>we are warriors of an Internet war or something
Fuck off. This is not an argument.
>implying that there's anything but advantages to having mandatory RFID chips
If anything, it should go beyond RFID; it should include GPS and other useful stuff too. You literally have no arguments to argue against it.

Jokes on you, I'm not arguing.

Well, enjoy your communism, or fascism.

>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE this has to be facism because I don't like it
>and if it isn't facism then it should be communism REEEEEEEE
>I don't even know what those words mean but I hear them a lot on CNN, that means that U BAD
Not an argument. Stop committing crimes.

that's gonna be a special kind of yikes from me

>tumblr.com
>kidfucker.tumblr.com/mashasextape

You really don't think

>CNN
I'm for liberty but I'm not a liberal.

Attached: wrong.gif (480x287, 1.21M)

To actually answer OP's question...

The short answer is yes, but that will hopefully change in the future. Even with https, there are three ways a man-in-the-middle can see which sites you browse:
>DNS
>SNI
>the destination IP

DNS over TLS/HTTPS is looking quite like The Future as Firefox already supports it and I believe Android has it already or is getting it soon. So I would consider the DNS problem solved at this point.

SNI solves the shared hosting with SSL problem. If multiple sites are hosted on the same IP, the browser has to tell the server which site it wants so the server can pick the correct certificate (since each site usually needs to have its own cert). Since the cert is required for encryption, SNI is communicated in the clear as encryption hasn't been negotiated yet. However, "encrypted SNI" (which was a hard problem to solve for the aforementioned reason) is just started to become usable -- Cloudflare has it as an option and Firefox Nightly has it as well. Adoption across the broader internet is going to take some time, but it looks like it will actually happen.

The destination IP. If a particular IP hosts one site and one site only, there's no way for you to hide that you visited it aside from using Tor. Tor is slow and generally a poor user experience so this will be a long-term problem for as long as the Internet as we know it is the routing layer behind the Web.

Attached: 1530481467547.png (824x720, 430K)

More proof that the thing you're trying to hide is something illegal.

>To actually answer OP's question
Thank you.

>another pedophile thread scared of people realizing he visits kidfuckrs.stackexchange.xxxx

DNS over HTTPS bypasses the hosts file?

github.com/ghacksuserjs/ghacks-user.js/blob/master/user.js#L460

But I guess everyone just uses extensions to block malicious sites anyway.

>Implying that total mass surveillance isn't fascist

From Wikipedia: "Totalitarianism is a political concept that defines a mode of government, which prohibits opposition parties, restricts individual opposition to the state and its claims, and exercises an extremely high degree of control over public and private life. It is regarded as the most extreme and complete form of authoritarianism. Political power in totalitarian states has often involved rule by one leader and an all-encompassing propaganda campaign, which is disseminated through the state-controlled mass media and are often marked by political repression, personality cultism, control over the economy and restriction of speech, mass surveillance and widespread use of state terrorism." Also from Wikipedia: "Fascists believe that liberal democracy is obsolete and they regard the complete mobilization of society under a totalitarian one-party state as necessary to prepare a nation for armed conflict and to respond effectively to economic difficulties."

>le nothing to hide
this has been btfo countless times
brain dead nigger cattle

A literal NPC. Post your purchase, medical, and search engine history.

>Implying that total mass surveillance isn't fascist
Nowhere in what you posted says anything like it. If you equate surveillance to prevent crime to eliminating anyone with ideas that support the government, you're a retard and you think like a terrorist. You sure are guilty of something to be posting like this.
>Post your purchase, medical, and search engine history.
I don't have any of those. I don't buy online, I don't have enough money to pay for medical services, and I use YaCy. And even then, I have nothing to hide, so I wouldn't mine sharing any of those with anyone if they existed.

That's sad. But you surely must have an email account, a list of contacts, and a browser history. I'd like to see their contents since you don't have to hide them. Thank you very much.