US gigabit availability

>he doesn't have gigabit yet
>New data from CableLabs shows that as of June 2018, about 63 percent of U.S. housing units have access to gigabit-speed internet service.

user, what's your excuse?

Attached: SmartSelect_20181105-084416_Samsung Internet.jpg (1329x1047, 332K)

Not being a retard that thinks he needs more than is sufficient to stream content; 50 megabits/sec

I rarely need to download anything large since I don't play video games or pirate like a criminal.

Having access just means it's FTTH, doesn't mean the ISP is providing you that speed

It's pretty rare for an ISP to do that though. Comcast probably does in their more rural areas, but if you're in a city or suburb, you likely have access to gigabit internet. Though it may be high priced.

It's available around here for cheap. Comcast offers 1gbps with DOCSIS 3.1, or 2gbps with FTTH fiber.

Verizon offers 1gbps with FTTH. Since I don't need 2gbps, I go with verizon since their FTTH is faster than Comcasts DOCSIS.

Attached: 2018-11-05 09_12_10.png (562x462, 18K)

Only places you can get gigabit internet as non business have data caps. I fucking hate this shit.

>data caps
Maybe if you live third world

Wut? Both Verizon and Comcast in my area don't have data caps, and both offer gigabit for under $100/month

You probably just don't live in a competitive area.

I pay 20 bucks a month for 30/5 and it's plenty enough

I have 2 isps Cox and century link. Century link goes up to 250 with no cap. Co(cks)x will sell you gigabit then charge your an extra $50.

Century link has no excuse being a Teir 1 operator (since they own L3).
Cocks I can understand a bit since they're buying peering and have half the footprint of the bigger ISPs (Verizon, AT&T, Comcast, Century Link)

Century link is slowly expanding in my area. They aren't going fast enough for my liking.

We got gigabit a month after NN was repealed.

I have max 10mbps
Does anyone know the feels

6Mb/s here

> user, what's your excuse?

Living in good old Germany.

Attached: Danke Merkel.jpg (414x351, 34K)

Took me 2 years of phone calls and negotiating to finally get something besides DSL installed at my work. And the kicker is, Verizon already runs a copper line to us for DSL, that they'll be stopping support for in a year or two and then they'll have to come in and replace it with Fiber for free whenever that happens. But they refused to hook us up with fiber early without paying them $14,000 for install. So we went with Comcast who offered to install DOCSIS 3.1 copper for free. So we'll use Comcast until Verizon is legally forced to update us to fiber, then we'll switch over to Verizon again.

Getting ISPs to move at anything besides a snails pace is an exercise in futility.

I got mine about 3 months after, but my ISP had been planning gigabit rollout for at least a year at that point, so it wasn't exactly like NN repeal spurred them to it.

Just upgraded from 1mbps to 15mbps. I know the struggle.

Attached: superfast.webm (576x448, 975K)

You should be out raping anyway, more fun, (unless you are one of the few white dudes out there)

>unless you are one of the few white dudes out there
Germany is 75% ethnic german though.

epic upload speed

>50 Mbps ought to be enough for anybody
>t. Bill Gates

It's just fast.com mis-reporting.

I'm on a 1gbps ethernet NIC, anything over 945mbps is pure fantasy.

I don't even have megabit internet because the one ISP here is literal shit.

Attached: 2018-11-05 11_20_12.png (398x356, 15K)

I live at home so therefore don't pay the bills. Also, gigabit would cost around 100$

I too live at home, but my mom works from home often and needs decent internet, and her husband torrents a lot of old TV shows, and my ISP only offers 100mbps, or 1gbps. So 1gbps is the obvious choice, especially when the cost difference is ~$30-40.

I have gigabit and gigabit download is a fucking meme. It is extremely rare to find a website or service that's going to give you a over 100Mbps speed. I can't even remember the last thing I downloaded at more than 12MB/s. Gigabit upload is nice but only because you're used to getting shit upload on other services. It's nice to be able to put something on my http server and have 5 friends download it from me while saturating their connections.

My parents are dirt poor and they're also computer retarded. Already have 250/10 which is great. Can download a full blu-ray rip in a few minutes.

>It is extremely rare to find a website or service that's going to give you a over 100Mbps speed. I can't even remember the last thing I downloaded at more than 12MB/s

lol what the fuck?

I find 300-500mbps from MOST things I download, it's rare to find things that can break 800mbps, but 300-500mbps is usual.

Barely even getting above 100mbps is 100% your ISPs fault.

I can download torrents at 800mbps+, I can download from Microsoft, Nvidia, etc at 700-800mbps+.

Torrents even with just a few seeders generally hit 500-600mbps+.

If you're rarely getting over 100mbps, that isn't because of the servers you're connecting to.

Attached: skyrim steam.webm (1085x264, 628K)

>mfw third worlder and still faster than 37% of the US peasants.

Attached: 7775309103.png (350x200, 21K)

>third worlder
>lives in france
nice meme

Steam and any Private Tracker will max your shit instantly.

France is 1/39th the size of the US and doesn't have natural dividers everywhere. Eurofags really aren't that bright.

>unironically living in muttland

Attached: maxresdefault2.jpg (1280x720, 128K)

>muttland
>my city is over 90% white

>everyone is from the same family
Not that much better, imo.

That makes zero fucking sense. By your logic if I fucked a white girl from another country, it would be incest. You eurofags truly are retarded.

If your city is not negroed yet, it's a inbred shitfest in the middle of nowhere.
This is modern america, deal with it.

You're braindead retarded or a troll, probably both

My city is in Silicon Valley and is 2% Black/Hispanic. Try again.

>pay for gigabit
>get 5-20 % of the promised bandwidth

Went to your shithole once for work, food was so trash I felt the cancer growing within me in real time, glad it was only for a week.

>microsoft
>nvidia
>steam
Maybe that's why. I don't play games. When you're constantly having to issue binary patches for pajeetware, I imagine you invest heavily in the infrastructure to keep your dopamine addicts hooked. Don't give the gold fish a chance to look away.

>your shithole
Euros really have no concept that the US is vastly different depending on the region and even city you're in. My cit is over 90% white and upper lower class. Next city over is 98% Jewish and Upper class. You're 100% retarded. Now ignoring all replies because you're either too retarded or just a troll.

god, 5 years later and this is still the standard "TONE" people use to talk about new technology on this board. i have ZERO issues with my internet speed. enjoy all those episodes of whichever timesink television show you so desperately feel the need to illegally obtain. bet you're excited about those new 5g towers that'll be goin up every quarter-mile. nightmare

Only get dial up or satellite where I live and my University offers 50/50 for free

So, what services are you trying to use that aren't able to provide adequate bandwidth?

>things that don't happen in the US

Honestly, though, GB is pretty useless.
Now, Steam saturates my hard drive and cpu on every startup.
Torrent is somewhat faster, but I can download a full season or 2 of something at 1080p while watching the first episode.
DSL was also able to have episode 2 ready by the time I watched the first, at a measly 15Mbits.
Give me some use cases for it, because until uncompressed video streaming becomes a thing, I don't see one.

It's great for ratio whores on private trackers

Now imagine doing that with 4 other people also doing the same things at the same time.

Gigabit is NOT meant for a single user.

Why would you want that? It's not like any server is going to give you that much.
Anything larger than 50MBit/s is a meme for home use.

Not really, everyone of them is plagued with seedboxes nowadays.
If you don't catch the popular torrent file within a minute of it being uploaded, you'll never reach 1:1 ratio.

>he doesn't download 4K blu-ray dumps

Not true. Sure, pay2pirate retards are everywhere, but you don't need to since you already get that from your ISP. Also, I can jump on shit 6-8 hours after it airs and still get better than a 1:1 ratio. There's also bonus points where you just grab all the free leech shit and sit on it forever.

Well, I still torrent a few things, but I lost interest, to be honest.
I can't be screening for popular shit to ul when what I actually DL doesn't upload for shit.

>Now, Steam saturates my hard drive and cpu on every startup.
Thanks for paying to allow us to gather more telemetry faster, goyim. This is the peak irony of this time in history in my opinion. We pay for better hardware and internet and in return software developers use it to make the botnet stronger. Now go get a nvme drive and an i9 so that our telemetry gathering goes unnoticed.

They have that where I live.. Vancouver

And what does "access" mean in this context? Subscribed and utilize gogabit/fiber or that it's "available from the ISP, but you have to pay over $200 to get it"?

If they're offering to you, that's means it's available, price isn't taken into account.

Many areas don't have gigabit, even if you wanted to shell out $1000/month.

Don't even have access to dsl or broadband yet. Doubt they'll ever roll shit out here.

If you don't even have shitty DSL, then you probably live literally in the middle of nowhere.

>comcast offers it
>but requires me to use their faggy piece of shit 3.1 modem/router combo with terrible stability issues

guess im stuck in the past

They don't require you to use their router/modem combo, you're just an assblasted faggot to retarded to buy your own equipment.

Now if you're a complete moron and you NEED comcast's phone service instead of using your own VOIP phone, then sure, maybe you do need their equipment, but that's your own fault for tying yourself into that.

I had Gb before the repeal.

It was being laid down for release in my neighborhood for most of 2015 and early 2016.

It was after AT&T sued the homeowner association in 2013-2014 for blocking them access to municipal roads and sidewalks, since they had a contract with Comcast being the only ones allowed to offer internet originally.

What do you even need gigabit internet for? I've been using 20 Mbit for ~12 years now and see no reason to go any faster.

Attached: notice reflection.jpg (489x522, 45K)

Before I had gigabit I thought 150mbps was great. Before I had 150mbps I thought 75mbps was great, before I had 75mbps I thought 20mbps was great, before I had 20mbps, I thought 5mbps was great, before I had 5mbps I thought 768kbps was great, etc, etc.

Time moves on, my ISP only offers 100mbps, or 1gbps currently. Their 1gbps costs me less than what I was paying for 150mbps. Why wouldn't I have gigabit?

Based net neutrality

Not really, the type of infrastructure development that allows for this is something that is 5-10 years in the planning. NN or no NN, these upgrades were happening either way.

yup I need a land line and they're the only provider. you're right im a dunce.

What you really want is the Arris TM3402. Though i'm not sure if it's actually available for consumer sales. Pretty sure currently anyway it's only available through Cox and only available if you subscribe to their gigabit service.

But the Arris TM3402 hardware is basically exactly what you want.

DOCSIS 3.1 2x2
DOCSIS 3.0 32x8
2x RG-11 Telephony
RDK-B Support

No built in Wifi (that's a good thing)

>Moving away from the city to enjoy a peaceful quiet life in bum-fuck-nowhere USA.
>Worried I would have to use some shitty wireless satellite ISP.
>Mfw my new home has the option of three fiber ISP.
Times are changing and I made the right choice.

Attached: 1361041532549.jpg (461x538, 67K)

I honestly can never see myself moving without first making sure there is at least one fiber provider who will provide service.

thank you for the response, might be able to get one through ebay or some shit

Still waiting on Google and at&t to get their asses down here. Moved from Austin to San Antonio, but I was so far in the far corner of Austin that I'll probably get Google at about the same time. I'm aware that at&t has been installing fiber inward from the exurbs, and it's getting closer. There's a B-box near me that has had a big hole dug in front of it for a few months now, maybe that means they're getting ready for fiber?

I have had static IP since 2000 and run my own servers, if both get here I will probably subscribe to both.

google stopped all plans for internet expansion

Does availability mean I can pay $20k to get it at my house?

Expansion in NEW cities, existing cites are being built out as far as I know.

They stopped all plans for NEW cities. They're still working on existing cities, and last ones may get some kind of 4G wireless instead of fiber. San Antonio is one of the last of the fiber cities.

They stopped all expansion period. if you didn't have it 6 months ago you are never getting it.
Sorry americucks, pray for their wifi balloon plan or something to free you from internet tyranny

>doubling down on stupid

I'd have to move

You're telling people who live in areas with google fiber, and see their rollout happening, that it's not happening.

Okay then...

my dad works for google

Your dad can work wherever he wants, google fiber is it's own company with it's own board members, etc. They might both be owned by alphabet, and use the google name, but it's not as if some random google employee is going to have any sort of information about another company that google owns.

Because I'm a eurofrag from Scandinavia... Our ISP's are cheap for normal connection compared to the US (paying 40$ for 100 down, 75 up) but almost nowhere can you get gigabit-speed here... Sucks being Nordic I guess

Attached: 1356063908025.jpg (406x364, 50K)

do they have Gigabit anywhere in LA, moving there in like 2 months

Only in the rich areas really.

>compared to the US (paying 40$ for 100 down, 75 up)
I could pay $40/month for 100/100mbps in the US, but instead I pay $80/month for 1gbps.

I wish I could buy gbps speed too, but I live in a kinda posh area, but that means the majority of people here are oldfags who don't care about shit like that and the other half is high-end business & banking people who are happy as long as their shitty children can stream Netflix in 1080p

Attached: 1535983871798.jpg (640x426, 215K)

Comcast are Jews.

are they?

Yes.

seems fine here

Attached: 2018-05-12 18_29_29.png (954x1651, 99K)

i feel so poor it hurts

Attached: pobreza.png (741x265, 39K)

It's great when you first sign up and get big discounts and good speed but that all ends 6-12 months into the contract and that's when it all gets sour really fast. The support is terrible too. I've threatened to switch providers several times and they effectively just laugh at me. They are not helpful when you want to cancel either. I've tried and I've been hung up on, put on hold for an hour, bounced around between different departments until I hung up out of frustration, etc. What they are doing is criminal.

Thats why when the contract is up you cancel and sign up under your significant other's name. Rinse and repeat every year or two and ride the new customer price forever.

Single anons btfo.

Last time I checked Vancouver was in a third world country.
AKA united jews if 'murica

Won't they get wise to that eventually? All they have to do is realize you were subscribed with them a year ago and when they notice the pattern I'd think they'd stop offering you deals.

And single anons can just switch providers every year I guess assuming they have a choice and are willing to waste a few hours on the phone trying to cancel.

My friend has it in Austin and I'm pretty jelly. Nothing in suburban Houston yet where I live

what's my excuse? It's not available in my area. we only have phone lines