Found an old iMac for €150 at a local second hand store. I tested it and it works...

Found an old iMac for €150 at a local second hand store. I tested it and it works, screen and everything is undamaged but it is slow. Is it usable in 2018? Is it easy to upgrade? I'm seriously considering to buy it

Attached: IMG_20181105_174943.jpg (1080x820, 109K)

Here are the internals. Sorry that it's in Dutch, but you can still tell what's in there

Attached: IMG_20181105_174959.jpg (1080x809, 198K)

>tested it
>is it usable in 2000+18?
idk you tell us OP

You can totally install a linux distro of your choice on it if you're really gunning to use it. I say go for it if you like the form factor.

Buy some RAM for $50 and it'll be useable. My parents have the same model, once they started complaining about it getting slow some extra ram made it run a lot better.

Give it back, piet

Depends on what for. I think it's usable enough, but the requirement by some programs to have the latest os version installed might gimp it over time.

Still usable. I would use it. It can handle most modern tasks and wound be too taxing. As far as upgrading it, yes, those were made before Apple went full soldertard. You can upgrade it to use an ssd drive and also add more RAM. That alone will do some justice.

A Core 2 Duo and 4GB of Ram is more than powerful enough for a shitposting machine.

it's a waste of money

I've got an even older iMac, the first C2D model ever released after intel ditched IBM after the G5.
The processor is surprisingly competent for web browsing, it'll even handle 1080p youtube without lagging, something the G5 is incapable of.

The issue though is that these systems are all Meltdown and Spectre vulnerable. Plus literally thousands of other hardware and OS exploits that never got patched because its so out of date. Its not exactly safe to use them online for anything. You can install Linux on it so your OS won't be complete swiss cheese, but you still have the hardware security issues ever present.

From your picture quality you should've spent that money on a phone made in the last 10 years.

If its running Capitan its certainly usable. Older OSX versions might not be usable though since you cant upgrade to any modern browser

OP here. This was taken from the latest iPhone XR.

Replace hdd with ssd

Lol ik zag je in de winkel foto's maken enzo
Ik zou hem niet kopen, aardig oud denk dat je beter voor een wat nieuwere kunt gaan.

LOL fuck off of Jow Forums you iToddler shill. How much sheckles did Tim Cock pay you for this?

>Nederlander
>2e handse apple troep
Kanker bij het vuilnis.
Welke mongool gebruikt er nu Apple in 2000+18....
Alleen een domme kankerflikker in Nederland.
>applel
>sorry it in dutch
Hang jezelf op kankernicht.

Attached: Screenshot_Nova_Launcher_20181105-182354.jpg (970x708, 285K)

It's a decent fucking deal for the keyboard alone. Pretty sure RAM and SSD are upgradeable on the older iMacs too; though obviously you're not going be able to do too much with a fucking C2D CPU.

Did you violently shake it while someone fucked you in the ass?

C2D is fine for pretty much everything, don't be stupid.

If the "pretty much everything" doesn't require more performance than a phone from 2014, sure.

Those old c2ds are the epitome of never obsolete. They run hot though, but they run well. Work horses.

Problem with Core 2 chipsets is that it might not accept all modules, there are restrictions on chip capacity (need lower capacity ones). Also chipsets and UEFI often artificially limited what was possible to install. I was able to get 4GB SO-DIMMs working in a Core 2 Lenovo laptop (but only some of them), so getting the machine to 8 GB might be doable. After that an SSD I guess and it could be usable, but 4 GB RAM would suck.

I would be afraid of PSU dying or the LCD's power supply/caps kicking the bucket, if it is almost 10 years old. So I would spent the money on new or 3-4 years old stuff instead.

You can compile software and run software, what the fuck else do you want?

My family had one of those. When it was working it was a solid computer but it fried 3 hard drives over 4 years somehow.

Offer €100 and see if they bite. Then spend the savings on a SSD and 4Gb RAM.

"Can" doesn't mean it's a good idea to "do" it, when even most ghetto tier laptops would do the job in half the time.

You could write a fucking novel on a first gen iPhone too but why?

Good advice. 150 is kind of high, but they might want to get rid of it instead of sit on it for 50 bucks.

It's not that fucking bad, give it a rest. You act like it's a bloody Pentium II or something.

>Core 2 Duo
Minus side, it's old
Plus side, it's not glued together
Look it up on everymac
16:10 full HD
RAM goes up to 8GB but you have to trash the existing 4GB, PC3-8500 DDR3
It can run 10.11

>The issue though is that these systems are all Meltdown and Spectre vulnerable.
MUH MELTDOWN
That's basically a meme. Okay, so you can read the contents of RAM, very slowly, now try to make some sense out of it.

This.

>16:10 full HD
Not how it works.

good enough for browsing and text editing, but don't expect much else from it.

It can do a lot more than just that.

I've always fancied getting an iMac or AIO to use in the kitchen as a TV/Radio/digital recipe book..

>Is it usable in 2018?
Yup.
Throw in 8GB or RAM (or 16 if it's supported), a fast Sata 3 SSD, and you'll be fine.

Just a screen alone would cost you €150. Worst case, use it as a media player/server and a torrentbox.

I have a 2009 17" macbook pro. It has more or less the same specs, but with a mobile version of the CPU. It's fine for all thew shit I do:
LaTeX for uni and Keynote for presentation, Affinity Photo and Lightroom for photo editing, Atom for coding (and Parallels for Linux VMs), mpv for movies, Plex, Chrome (or whatever) for browsing, etc. .

1080p videos online play smoothly, FileVault (full disk encryption) works with no noticeable performance hit, and in general I haven't yet felt restricted by the hardware.

Buy it and sell it for 300 to some poverty stricken "I needed muh apples" faggot

You can always use it as an external monitor in target-display mode.

Yes it will be fine for normal use. Upgrade RAM and put in an SSD if you have a little money. Nice screen quality on those.

Could I put a C2Q in a 2008 iMac? They've got compatible sockets (socket p) but I don't know if the board can handle the quad-core processor.

I'm using a 2008 iMac right now, you'll be fine with that. I'd upgrade the RAM though.

>16:10 full HD
It has a WUXGA display. Full HD is specifically 1920x1080.

Why would Apple be paying anyone to shill used hardware from a decade ago?

Wrong board. Back to you piece of shit.

Attached: 1526908556148.png (400x1650, 367K)

buy it and install elementaryOS

>Is it usable in 2018?
No, spec wise it's like a thinkpad T61. It belongs in the trash,

fuck yes, put in and SSD and upgrade the ram and it will make a fine shitposting machine

bitch to take apart tho

the last time I took one of those apart and put it back together i was left with a foot of weird admissive binding tape and 10 screws

Same actually, it may not be a good desktop, but I feel like it'd be very handy as just a screen with internet next to a fridge or something.

>not just using a generic monitor and a raspi on a vesa mount

Lmao go fuck yourself you pathetic loser.
Imagine taking the time posting this in every thread, this is truly a sign of a charismatic human bean with many friends.

Attached: edgy.png (924x560, 48K)

Gebaseerd en roodpilled.

i got a Macbook early 2008 for like $30. Screen has no backlight but i use a external monitor. Core2duo, 4GB ram and 250GB HDD. Downloaded Ableton Live and hooked my Audio interface to it.

Don't pay more than $100USD, whatever that is in eurobux. They are easy to upgrade. It will need a new drive soon if it still has the original.

>Is it usable in 2018?
Depends on what you want to do with it. I am using an iMac that is at least one generation older than yours (32-bit Core Duo, 2GB ram) as a secondary Linux box, basically to serve a couple of things, test webdev shit, stream audio and fuck around on. There are some tricks to getting Linux on it (easier for you since you don't have the retarded 32-bit EFI) but once installed it works like a charm. Pic related. I got mine free from a relative though, and I had previously upgraded the drive in it for them. I wouldn't have spent any of my own money on it.

Attached: ssc.png (1680x1050, 27K)

I use a pendrive with Bunsenlabs distro and it flies

>it's an appletoddler subhuman thinks his gay faggot toys will ever belong on Jow Forums episode

Attached: 1517245307491.jpg (643x960, 256K)

it probably just needs an SSD. my C2D machines with similar specs run super fast with SSD

Based i-dont-know-what-technology-means poster