Alright so I made my backup machine running linux look pretty, but it's not my daily driver...

alright so I made my backup machine running linux look pretty, but it's not my daily driver. Is there anything useful I can do with a pretty shitty backup linux machine?

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-11-05 16-21-23.png (1366x768, 268K)

b u m p

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.
There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

fuck off sperg

dead thread confirms linux has no use

windows azure uses linux

What window manager is that? How did you achieve this setup? I like it

THATS PROBABLY BUDGIE WITH NO BORDERS + TRANSPERENT

>Backup linux machine

What is the intended use of this machine? Storing backup data?
If so I greatly encourage you to not use wifi as you will upload/download a lot to this server so cable connection might be the way to go.

What do you mean by backup linux machine?

install gentoo

just that it's not my main computer. not necessarily backup data. It could be, but this machine has a small hard drive

just ubuntu 18.04 with shell extensions

Why would you need a "backup" computer for?
Can't you use your "main" computer for all of your computing tasks?
Is there anyone else using your "main" computer? (That would be a reason why you need a "backup" computer.)
And also why do you need someone to tell you what to do of a computer?

First time I Installed Linux is because I needed an operating system and I did not have the money to buy a license of Microsoft Windows.
I did not needed any software made by/for Microsoft Windows and I found alternatives for everything I was normally using on a Windows Computer (Music Player, Notepad, Word Suite, Photoshop, etc.)

I see you have steam installed, have you checked which of your game have a Linux port yet?

I don't 'need' a backup computer, but I don't want to install linux on my other build. This is a shitty old laptop that still works, that I have Linux on for fun/to mess with. Was just wondering if there are any cool capabilities that windows/macos don't have (like the customization, which I've already liked doing)

I have, but this computer is honestly too shitty to run even Football Manager so I honestly should just uninstall steam

sorry, no *relevant* use

Can you share the specs of your laptop please?

dell inspiron n5040
i3 with integrated graphics
120gb ssd
4gb ram
running ubuntu 18.04

>Muh backup machine.
Never seen a backup server with Spotify and Steam, but o-ok.

backup as in backup computer. not as in data backup... poor wording i know

do you carry that around or you want to leave it running 24/7?
It's a machine that could be used to shitpost and maybe do some office work with no problems.
Get rid of ubuntu, get just debian or arch use xfce or bspwm or i3, something lighter.

Run it headless and host a web server or something, those specs seem good enough for a small vidya server, of course that varies.

THANK YOU

Attached: reasons to use linux.png (401x305, 125K)

mine monero

>select a wallpaper
>select a theme
that's quite the accomplishment there user
>what will he do next