>List your uses; eg Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose and graphics pairing
>NO Speccy. Use HWinfo

CPU
>Athlon 200GE - Bare minimal desktop/gaming
>R3 2200G - Light gaming(dGPU optional)
>R5 2400G/i5-8400 - Consider IF on sale
>R5 2600/X - Good gaming & multithreaded work use CPUs
>i7-9700k/8700k - If you have a $2000+ budget and don't care that it'll be superseded by 7nm CPUs next year
>R7 2700/X - Best value high-end CPU on a non-HEDT platform
>Wait for R7 3700X - Surely the best overall and not a massive disappointment like the 9900k
>Threadripper/Used Xeon - HEDT

RAM
>8GB - Enough for most gaming use
>16GB - Standard for heavy use
>32GB - If you have to ask, you don't need this
>CPUs benefit from fast RAM; 2933MHz+ is ideal

Graphics cards
>RTX 2000 cards are worse performance per $ than previous gen
>Avoid cheap MODELS ie MSI Armor (Mk2 is ok), Gigabyte G1/Wf, ASUS dual, and others w/ small heatsinks and low quality fans
1080p
>RX 570/580 w/ Freesync or 1060 6GB - standard 1080p 60fps+ options
>1050 3Gb or RX560 4Gb - lower settings and/or older games
>GTX 1070Ti/Vega 56 - for higher FPS w/ a high hz monitor
1440p
>Vega 56; 1070Ti/1080 if you already have Gsync
>GTX 1080Ti - for higher FPS w/ a high hz monitor
>Upscale from 1620-1800p. Maybe 2080Ti, but awful value.
OpenCL use
>Vega 64

Storage
>Backup before using StoreMi
>Consider getting a larger SSD (better GB/$) instead of small SSD & large HDD
>2TB HDDs are barely more $ than 1TB
>M.2 is a form factor, NOT a performance standard
>NVMe are not for gaming; See "More"

Display
>Consider 75hz minimum; 60hz are mostly old models.
>Always consider FreeSync w/ AMD cards
>FOR GAMING, START YOUR BUILD WITH A MONITOR FIRST, then make your build to drive it appropriately

Previous
More
rentry.co/pcbg-more

Attached: SFF.jpg (640x427, 25K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/jdVnCb
pcpartpicker.com/list/Gkt6LJ
pcpartpicker.com/product/KQQRsY/gigabyte-radeon-rx-580-8gb-gaming-8g-video-card-gv-rx580gaming-8gd
pcpartpicker.com/list/sc3CKB
ebay.com.au/itm/Gigabyte-Aorus-Xtreme-nVidia-GeForce-GTX-1080-Ti-Graphics-Video-Card-11GB/372487148216
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Attached: onlypajeetsandchinksbuyintel.png (4366x2638, 3.42M)

Attached: inteli9hardboiledeggmaker.jpg (3840x2160, 796K)

Best cases for making a NAS?

no prebuilt cases please.

Just about anything with a fair amount of HDD bays and decent airflow. Really depends on how big you want it to be. Can't go wrong with Fractal Design.

Are old i7 and xeons still worth it for poorfag builds? According to userbenchmark an i3 8350k is 20% faster than an i7 4770k, so making a relatively cheap i3 build that can accept up to a 9900k later on sounds like a better idea.
I've given up on ryzen because of ram prices. It seems like i can cheap out on ram for intel chips.

C U T E
U
T
E

Will 1080 tis come back in stock at reasonable prices, or is this the end and I'll just have to suck it up and get an RTX?

Just gonna repost this, what mice should I be looking into if I want a numpad on the side? I have a Razer Naga now, but it cuts out on me every so often, and I'm not sure if it's my model or a problem with the series.

1080ti production is said to have stopped up to months ago, so the few dregs of cards you see on the market are gonna be it. There is a possibility RTX prices may start to creep back down after Pascal competitors sell out (presuming the market continues to reject Turing)

no. better get one now if you want one new, they've been out of production for a while now

Recommend me a good power supply for this build.

pcpartpicker.com/list/jdVnCb

Attached: Power Supply.png (1212x1474, 172K)

>he fell for the cheap ram + intel meme
if you cheap out in intel ram expect a 5-8% performance loss

so what cpu do I get for gaming?
everyone says 2700x is shit for gaming
and then everyone says i9-9900k is a rip off
do I go with the 8700k even though it's old?
or do I get that newish 8086k?

They're only worth it if you have a solid amount of DDR3 and/or other components (like a working motherboard) kicking around. The 8350k isn't that great. Being on 4 threads for anything other than web browsing/light gaming is probably not a great idea and if you wanted to upgrade to a 9900k later on then you're already looking at needing to buy a very high end motherboard to make any sense of handling a future 9900k.

You need to have a very specific use case/reason to not get Ryzen if you're building from scratch. The "savings" on slower RAM are easily accounted for by the fact that B450 motherboards are so affordable.

get the 2600/2600x

Looking for maximum number of drives in a small form factor. if you have a full tower that only takes like 10 HDDs that's "a lot of wasted space™" I have written down a few options but I'd like to make a list of all the different cases that are great fits for a personal NAS system.

I was actually hoping to maybe make a pastebin or google doc, something specifically for building home servers/NAS that we could include in the OP pasta. I've been drafting in wordpad but I don't know enough to make it myself.

>everyone says 2700x is shit for gaming
Anybody who says this is an idiot.

why would a 2600x be better than a 2700x for gaming are you retarded

Corsair Scimitar 2.0
You can save profiles on to the mouse so if you want to use Linux you can just configure the mouse on windows

the 2700x is never top 10 when it comes to gaming

I was thinking about building a new PC soon. Current build is going to shit but it is 7 years old (mostly) so that's no surprise, think I've got RAM issues that I don't really want to bother replacing since they're fuckin expensive now and it's just DDR3.

I haven't really looked into parts yet but is it a good time to build right now? I have a budget of about $1600 and I already have a 1060 6gb to use in the new build. I know it's not that great of a card but those RTX's don't seem very appealing to me right now.

I was unaware there is a definitive Top 10 list for gaming CPUs, lmao. Please source me on this.

literally google it, any chart that shows gaming performance would be a source
stop shilling the 2700x you nigger

Do you own a 1080 ti or better? 144 or 165 Hz monitor? Then you already know your answer you double nigger. Get an 8800k/8086k/9900k and be done with it.

I'm not shilling the 2700x but saying that it's shit at gaming is a joke.

Aren't B450 boards shit for X chips? If i go for AMD I'd like to be able to eventually use the last and best chips they'll release on AM4 without having to change the board. I am under the impression that the only way to be safe when it comes to future proofing and overclocking are high end x370/470 boards, but I'd rather not pay 400-500 for a motherboard and 16GB of RAM.
I know i wouldn't be able to do what I'm talking about with intel chips anyway, but it would feel like a bit of a waste if I made a Ryzen build that wouldn't be able to profit from one of AMD'S biggest advantages over Intel.

what's a joke is how far you amdfags go to push your holy processor onto people
if you can't answer my question then why bother wasting my time

>is it a good time to build right now?
Yeah, we expect high price increases literally tomorrow. Better build your PC today.

>everyone says 2700x is shit for gaming
2700x at 1440p+ is only 2-5 fps slower than 8700k

ur cute too

>Will 1080 tis come back in stock at reasonable prices
No.
> or is this the end and I'll just have to suck it up and get an RTX?
No one is making you buy the overpriced gimmickworks 2 card either. You can just wait for 7nm next year.
Only a retard would buy a "new" expensive card on an end-of-life node like the RTX series for gaming.

Did the price for the armor mk2 go up? May as well get the Red Devil then for the same price.
Idk why you're spending $118 each on 3 2Tb HDDs either. Why not get 2 3Tb ones..?
Do you really need black ones? Won't most that's accessed be on the SSD?
You can also, you know, just get a second 256 Tb SSD, a 6-8Tb HDD, and combine them with StoreMi as your secondary drive.

Well it's more that most 450 boards just aren't that good. There are no features disabled.
PBO still works with a B450 board. But none of them support BCLK OC, afaik. And the MSI boards, which are the best B450 boards for the most part, don't support voltage offset.

With what GPU and monitor? 2600/X is typically the sweet spot.
For high end you get a 2700X, board that supports BCLK OC, and fast RAM. Or you get an 8700k, delid, high end board, and fast RAM. Those two are roughly the same depending on the game.

Attached: fast vs medium RAM.jpg (641x2895, 423K)

Rate my budget build. Am I fucking up somewhere I don't realize?

Also should I buy now or wait for black friday/CyberMonday?

Attached: 1527249056217.jpg (615x859, 74K)

SEETHING

Should I get a nice 570 or a cheap 1060?

Attached: n08A8NO.jpg (599x804, 43K)

>Am I fucking up somewhere I don't realize?
yeah, you forgot to post the build.

As far as I know the "good" B450 motherboards are almost identical to the "good" X470 motherboards. Research which ones have good VRMs. I can't remember which ones got decent reviews but I think MSI's Tomahawk rings a bell. Like I said, if you have DDR3 kicking around I'd consider the used i7/Xeon route.

I did answer your question, brainlet. Pick any of those three intel CPUs if you need 144 fps. It doesn't matter. Have the money to burn and don't want to delid? Get a 9900k.

I knew I would somewhere

pcpartpicker.com/list/Gkt6LJ

Attached: high.gif (169x121, 1.13M)

>up to 5 fps slower than the 8700k
ABSOLUTE FUCKING STATE OF AMDFAGS DEFENDING THEIR SHITTY PAPERWEIGHT PROCESSOR.

>Idk why you're spending $118 each on 3 2Tb HDDs either. Why not get 2 3Tb ones..?
Just a reference, I'm readding my previous three 2TB HDD filled with my portfolios, productions and sfms into my new build so I need a PSU with it. Total price is only $950.83

And MK2 is better

Attached: 1320819413989.jpg (324x291, 25K)

user, please be serious for a second...

If you mean 1060 3Gb, no don't get that.

>pcpartpicker.com/list/Gkt6LJ
Looks good.

>And MK2 is better
Is it? Well ok, go for it.

And the 8700k is up to 2.9fps slower than the 2700X. Hmm. Slower still if you're not also using B-die on the 8700k, which I'm sure you'll say isn't required even though it is if you want to not always be slower than the 2700X with B-die.

I'm not too well versed in AMD GPUs, but everything else is looking good.

Should I buy now or wait for black friday /Monday? Given how close we are to those "sales times" i am reluctant to pull the trigger but I also realize the RX580s and Ryzens haven't been this cheap before so i don't know what way to go about it given the situation

>tfw bought that used GTX 970 off CL
>get home, throw it in, fire it up and holy shit its both noisy as hell (fucking blower) and overheating

Well, i'd like to say you get what you pay for, but I think i got a full one way ticket to hustleville

I threw some new thermal paste on it, but honestly just on the few test of certain games it really did only squeeze a little bit better graphics and nothing was notably smoother.

Is screen going black with no driver failure a sign of a cooked chip or is that just overheating cause it was getting mighty warm mighty quick on whatever games i was trying.

8700k for highest FPS

9900k if you stream somewhat decently, and high FPS.

2700x can do game. but its slower than 8700k in gaming depending on the games you can see multiple benchmarks.

>tfw bought that used GTX 970 off CL

Attached: 1432721700557.jpg (1024x1191, 131K)

>970
oof. Do you have anything like MSI afterburner installed to fiddle with the fan curve? Any dust caked on to the heatsink? How about airflow in your case? Blowers are loud and generally not great for overclocking but there is no reason it shouldn't be able to hold stock clocks.

just how hot did it get? my OC'd 970 tops out at around 82c which is hot, but well within safe parameters.
everything on that list is reasonably priced, I think you'd be fine pulling the trigger now.

>buying used cards from bitmemers
some people never learn

I pulled it apart to repaste it and it wasn't awful inside, a little bit of dust, a few stray hairs (which is really fucking gross when you really thing about it)
Thermal paste wasn't even super awful, which is why i think i'm 6 miles up shit creek.

It would get to 85 and keep climbing but usually black screened after that. I could still have sound and you know, exit the game and all.
Don't salt the wound user, I've not got a lot of spare income

that's really hot for a card (assuming) on factory clock speeds, but even then it should keep going. you can try using a program like user suggested and messing with the fan curve to keep it cooler. all signs point to there being a problem with the silicon, though I hope that's not the case.

>bought blower card
You deserve this.

What's the ideal form factor if I'll be living in a small room for a while? Is ITX a meme?

First time PC buyer here. Just finished getting mine all set up. Sadly did not know about this thread beforehand but oh well. Anyways I got:

i7-8700
GTX 1070
2 TB HDD (intel optane thing)
16 GB RAM
some liquid cooling system

I had the system built for me and spent about $1400. I probably could have done better I know, but I hope I didnt drastically overpay. Also am probably going to upgrade to a SSD at some point.

why didn't you just air cool + SSD instead of liquid cooling? won't the maintenance bother you? what are you using this machine for?

Optane is a joke, sorry you blew money on it.

which GPU should I go with for a 1080p build?

pcpartpicker.com/product/KQQRsY/gigabyte-radeon-rx-580-8gb-gaming-8g-video-card-gv-rx580gaming-8gd

XFX - Radeon RX 580 4 GB GTS XXX Edition Video Card

$10 difference but I got no close about power consumption / thermals I might run into to justify buying one over the other.

Attached: 1435283563156.jpg (2048x2048, 293K)

the 8gb one

Thank you
>Like I said, if you have DDR3 kicking around I'd consider the used i7/Xeon route.
I only have DDR2. I will start from scratch.

Can I get some reasons to or not to pick the 2700X over the 2700 ($100 cheaper) for 1440p 60ish fps gaymanning?

>2 TB HDD (intel optane thing)
What? Don't tell me you got one of those 32Gb Optane "caches".
>I had the system built for me and spent about $1400
Ouch.
>I hope I didnt drastically overpay
You paid roughly double over if you watched sales and better chose parts for your needs. Or still at least about $500 over at normal pricing.
Really could have made something FASTER, with an actual good 1Tb SSD, for still hundreds of dollars less.
>water cooling
Probably something awful like the H60i and worse than $30 air cooler.

Live and learn.
In your position, I'd try and sell it for $1250-$1300 as basically new on craigslist. Say an emergency came up. Show the $1400 receipt and everything. Build a better PC for $1000, and you come out at least $100 ahead and have a better PC.
Or hell even return it if you can...

ITX is fine. Bit pricy, but lots like it and that's fine.

Can't you undervolt Maxwell cards? Afaik Nvidia only removed that in Pascal and later.

The Gigabyte cards are so crap outside of their super high end ones which they don't make for RX580.
Get the XFX. The $10 saved and better PCB and cooler is worth losing out on the 4Gb VRAM when it's just for 1080p, imo.

If you get the Gigabyte, you're just going to have to undervolt the shit out of it to keep it from being noisy as fuck to the point that it performs worse than the 4Gb, and you paid more.

ill be honest I dont really know. I just read that the fans that were given to me as options often were needlessly loud and required some troubleshooting to run optimally. Several people said that the liquid cooling system would avoid this problem.

Also maintenance? What sort of maintenance should I be doing. The games I play mostly are Rocket League, Dota 2, Overwatch, FFXIV and Monster Hunter World. Have run it on Rocket Leage and MHW so far. RL runs perfectly at 200fps and im getting 60 fps minimum on ultra for MHW. Im pretty pleased

2600 on sale for £80
2400g on sale for £70

not paid till december, sad times

wondering how a 2400g delid would get on with a dell u2715H... dat up2716d tho

Why spend so much money for only 60fps?

Main reason to get 2700X is because you're making a high end build, with a $200 board to BCLK OC, and B-die RAM, so you match similarly expensive high end 8700k performance.
Not for 60fps gaming. You can do that on a 2600 and save like $375-$450 total. Lmao.

>Several people said that the liquid cooling system would avoid this problem.
Liquid coolers are usually louder because they add pump noise. They also still have a fan. Only a few really good models of AIOs have quiet pumps and good radiator thickness.
There are $35-$60 air coolers which are better than 95% of the AIOs you can buy. They are a marketing gimmick.
They also add unnecesary risk in that they can leak and destroy your components.
We generally recommend avoiding them here. And that if a high end air cooler isn't enough, or aesthetics is the goal, then a custom loop is better.

>The games I play mostly are Rocket League, Dota 2, Overwatch, FFXIV and Monster Hunter World. RL runs perfectly at 200fps and im getting 60 fps minimum on ultra for MHW. Im pretty pleased
Did you get a high refresh rate monitor with that price as well? That's not too terrible, then.

I repasted and have been running kombustor for about 5 minutes now with a user defined fan curve.

It seems to be stable at 61C. Idk though, honestly I might just let this card sit in my unfinished spare PC and continue using my lesser powered but innaudible over my case fan EVGA 1050TI

>2400g on sale for £70
Wtf? Buy that shit on credit.

>2600 on sale for £80
>2400g on sale for £70
where??

>not paid till december
Its time to learn how to rob

at least youre pleased bro that's all that matter
>moneys just numbers on a screen amiright?

talking of which, whats your monitor?

is the jump from 1440p to 4k as noticiable as the jump from 1080p to 1440p

get a 2600. look up benchmarks even if you wanted to game at 4k the improvement 2700 offers is very minimal

2700x or 2600x?

depends on the size of the screen

poorfag student, terrible credit rating
will borrow off a mate, just waiting and hoping it doesnt go
its a secret i dont want someone else to buy it up pls
id have to rob someone, deposit the money in my bank and then buy it - place doesnt take cash - seems elaborate but worth it i guess, if only gun laws were as lax as the US i could easily jump someone :(

pcpartpicker.com/list/sc3CKB

something close to what i imagine you bought. probably a blower GPU too?

I think you could have slashed off at least $100 and gotten better parts for the price.

is Samsung UJ59.
And yeah I happened to walk into $10,000 last week and have been wanting to get into pc gaming for a long time. Before I was working with a laptop that ran FFXIV and Dota on minimum settings, kinda.
So yeah I know I kinda rushed things not waiting for sales and having it built for me cost me extra money. But yeah so far I am quite happy even so. If it runs like it does now for a reasonable length of time I wont regret it.

whats your use?
>rendering, compiling, work stuff etc = 2700x
>anything else 2600/x

>gun laws
Lmao learn to use a knife or machete faggot

you paid about $400 more than you should have but it's fine, no reason to return it.

>Intel disabling hyperthreading on their new enterprise CPUs since no buyers wants that insecure garbage which also performs worse than the extra power consumption
>disables SMT on Epyc in their comparison tests just like they disabled half the cores of the 2700X when testing against Coffeelake+
LOL

Don't you have a 4K TV? Get that first and see?

I personally really like the way I can do 1440p video on youtube on my 4k display at native size on the page. 1440p video is pretty common on youtube.

I would say that you can also probably get away with just using VSR(AMD) or DSR(Nvidia) to supersample 4k down to 1440p on your monitor and that that also looks nearly as nice as native 4K. Especially given the cost of 4K 144hz *sync monitors.

Ask a better question.

>if only gun laws were as lax as the US i could easily jump someone :(
Acid is worse than a gun, really.

Also that's such a ridiculous price for the 1070. For a few dollars more you can get about 20% higher performance. But you basically already said that.

I currently have an overclocked i5 6600k and a 1070. My main goal is to play BF5 (and other upcoming releases) at 1440p 144hz on high settings, though I can compromise on AA.
What's the most effective upgrade path for me with a $1000 AUD budget?
I've been eyeing a 1080ti but they're becoming increasingly rare here.

3D design and simulation because systems engineering shit. Also light game usage like Arma and Cities.

2600x is better value, and 2600 is better still.

nice screen, glad youre not running those specs with a 1080p tn monitor

in the future you could delid your cpu, theres delid mechanisms you can buy pretty cheap so you dont bend all your pins and ruin it - eg der8auen - then replace with copper heat spreader - eg rockit cool - and some conductonaut youll see considerable temp drops, something like 15c if im not mistaken, might be even more

whats your case? can also make custom gpu loop/heat sink, can be quite cheap and bring temps really low if you do it right

reducing overall temps will increase OC potential, squeezing extra juice as software becomes more demanding

>light game
>arma
>cities
>light

look into the used market
ebay.com.au/itm/Gigabyte-Aorus-Xtreme-nVidia-GeForce-GTX-1080-Ti-Graphics-Video-Card-11GB/372487148216

a gun is a safer tool to threaten someone with than a knife - I don't actually want to cause serious harm to myself or someone else you idiot - can I threaten you with a knife from a meter and a half? a lot of people get fucked up trying to do stupid shit with knives like robbing people, a gun gives me a safer distance, doesn't have to be loaded etc etc - anyway im not going to rob someone for a fucking cpu... at least... not today..

what is wrong with you people, a discounted 2400g is worth ruining someones life? sheesh, over here we have a thing called "manners" - acid is for kids with nothing to do and shit all to prove, and other like minded fuckwits

2700x definitely, or if you can wait it out - wait for the 7nm cpus from amd, but that's going to be a while - 2700x + CAD = gd times, get yourself some nice 3200 cas 14 14 14 ram and youre golden, oh and ofc a solid gpu..

Your goal is not achievable on that budget. That game doesn't even run better on ultra than high at least in the beta. But even if you dropped to medium, I don't think a 1080Ti would handle 144 at 1440p. It does around 75-110.
You'll spend roughly that on CPU+board+b-die RAM alone.
2080Ti alone costs what, $1600 AUD or something?
You're looking at $3000-$4000 AUD total. Not even close.

I don't know how you can be so disconnected from reality to think you could do 1440p 144hz in BF5 on that budget. Is looking up 1440p tests for that game and what those cards cost that difficult for you?...

If you mostly use it for work and light gaming, even if those are pretty demanding games, you may as well go with the 2700X if it's within your budget.

Any idea as to which GTX1060 (6GB) is the best?

he doesn't need a new cpu if he's playing at 1440p

He does for 144fps, you moron.
Even a 7700k doesn't do 144fps in BF1 or BF5 64 player multiplayer yet you're trying to say a 6600k does.
Stop giving shit advice about shit you don't know anything about.

the cheapest non blower one

>a gun is a safer tool to threaten someone with than a knife
lol

Attached: 1398952233808.webm (480x336, 1.75M)

Is it really worth it to OC a 2700X? I thought the improvement was minimal.

>no matter what components I get for my PC, and no matter how cheap I get them, people will always tell me 'you could have gotten X and Y instead and it would be better'

Is this just to be expected? Im quite happy with my pc.

that's 5 vs 1

and whats your current performance?
youve got to think about lowest cost for highest performance gain
what are you temps like? do you have the space to mess around with your gpu radiator? new thermal paste on connectors, liquid cooling radiator on a gpu, better case airflow etc can reduce your temps a lot meaning more oc potential = more frames

how blunt are those machetes?

get a good cpu cooler and itll auto oc sorta, not much point in conventional oc with 2700x

What's the current bang for the buck 144hz freesync monitor in Europe. AOC c24g1 looks good, thoughts?

Can you use a MacBook to download bios to a usb?