Now that the dust has settled, can we all agree powershell is unironically good?

Now that the dust has settled, can we all agree powershell is unironically good?

Attached: which-version-of-powershell-4-features.jpg (600x431, 66K)

Other urls found in this thread:

social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/24541.powershell-bulk-create-ad-users-from-csv-file.aspx
social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/f1c76528-1cd9-4cc8-bedf-c78ed0c36c92/exception-calling-setinfo-with-0-arguments-an-invalid-dn-syntax-has-been-specified?forum=ITCG
old.reddit.com/r/PowerShell/comments/4q8bkm/change_the_console_font_programmatically/d5559z2/
amazon.com/gp/product/1617294160/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
wisesoft.co.uk/software/bulkadusers/default.aspx
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

absolutely the tech is good. Just requires .NET stack and that's pretty significant if you'r not on botnet os.

>can't even run your own scripts by default

No, it's a retarded abomination.

I just spent hours trying to figure out why my PowerShell script to import active directory users from a csv file won't work. Can't find fuck all online anywhere.

kek

PowerShell pisses me the fuck off. Bash is 1000x better. I never did figure it out and the assignment is due tomorrow.

Pls help

but what's the reasoning for not just making it POSIX? why does MS have to be so fucking extra?

Attached: standards.png (500x283, 24K)

you didnt look real hard did you?
social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/24541.powershell-bulk-create-ad-users-from-csv-file.aspx

itoddlers btfo

I love it. Use it a tonne.

The only thing wrong with it is the inability to handle certain characters in file names.

If I do something like:

program_name *.ext with ctrl+space

It will bring up a selection of files, but when the files are selected, it will escape the character's causing the filename to be invalid.

If I then do program_name "*,ext", the same error occurs
If I then do program_name '*.ext', the same error occurs

The only way to fix it is to just do :

*.ext with ctrl+space, and let the default program run it.

I am not experienced with powershell by any means, but I have yet to find a way to prevent the filenames from being escaped. It's a huge hassle.

No I seen that page but it didn't resolve the issue. Kept getting same error seen here:

social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/f1c76528-1cd9-4cc8-bedf-c78ed0c36c92/exception-calling-setinfo-with-0-arguments-an-invalid-dn-syntax-has-been-specified?forum=ITCG

it's okay. but only rated well because in comparison batch is an abomination from hell.

Nope.

Good idea, terrible syntax and naming conventions. I know at least one admin who just does the same shit in F# instead.

>Windows encoding clusterfuck
>can end up writing normally undeletable files with \\?\ path prefix
>a bunch of characters not allowed in filenames
>some codepages default to raster fonts when using UTF-8 causing programs to fucking *crash* with an I/O error when attempting to write an UTF-8 character to console
>no way to programmatically change fonts to prevent said issue except importing from the Win32 API causing this abomination: old.reddit.com/r/PowerShell/comments/4q8bkm/change_the_console_font_programmatically/d5559z2/
>double quotation marks do fucking nothing useful
>single quotation marks interprets a string literally, including $variables
>needs fucking -literalpath to prevent the shell from fucking you up
No, user, it isn't good. PowerShells is absolute fucking ass cancer.

Ohhh and yes, there's also
>fucking UTF-8 with a BOM because why the fuck wouldn't you want to be completely incompatible with all other UTF-8 out there
There's just so many fucking bad things about PowerShell. I have no idea how people actually like this shit

Attached: 1410764374653.png (196x171, 2K)

Better than bash for sure.
Fuck bash.

Its botnet that sends to Microsoft servers

It's okay but missing too many utilities or shortcuts and it's annoying that you have to look up on what the powershell equivalent of X is. Also parameters are generally verbose.

>make your own inferior version of bash
>noone likes it because it's ugly, overly verbose and requires dotnet to run
>your terminal emulator is also shit
what did m$ mean with this?

This is what I've done at times too
F# is perfect for writing quick and reliable utilities

Everything is an object (except sometimes) vs Everything is a string always

>Pls help
amazon.com/gp/product/1617294160/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

>>your terminal emulator is also shit
It's not a terminal emulator. It's a system console. Windows console applications don't emulate a terminal at all (and pseudoterminals were basically an impossibility until recently in Windows land).

Doesn't change the fact that its garbage and a pain to work with

Attached: 1536541120551180.png (798x418, 12K)

I found this posted on reddit (see image)

Also someone linked this utility, which is free.
wisesoft.co.uk/software/bulkadusers/default.aspx

Attached: import_users_csv_2AD.png (923x830, 35K)