What is your opinion on the mi box for a replacement to raspberry pi 3 for home cinema and slight web browsing?

What is your opinion on the mi box for a replacement to raspberry pi 3 for home cinema and slight web browsing?
Will it run Android apps well? Will it run Kodi well?

Attached: 1541451180776.jpg (605x714, 71K)

bump

It is a different device. Not really an alternative in most ways, the Odroid XU4 and such is far more RPI-like.

But of course this far more powerful box will run a web browser and media player better.

botnet

BTW it is not like Xiaomi has the only HTPC box or this is a new type of device.

There are hundreds of these that you can import from China. If in doubt for your use case's software or if you have elevated hardware requirements, you might actually want a Windows/Intel one.

Yea, these tend to run Android or Windows.

its decent but thats it i havent rebooted mine since i bought it its always connected plus it can run kodi so there is that

This one uses Android TV and it's optimized to use with a remote, the shitty chink ones use regular Android.

Are there any cheap Chinese TV boxes with good support for GNU/Linux?

I want to run Debian on one

Most regular chink ones also have a TV UI and a remote. A good bunch also come with Kodi preinstalled.

Nothing special or new.

I hearth that other boxes from other manufacturers had very low quality. Xiomi at least has a brand associated with some quality. Isn't that right?

sounds fine for watching movies on the TV.

Geekbox was one that even came preinstalled with Linux, but I think that's off the market by now.
I've seen various people post about running Linux on a lot of HTPC, but it's hard to gauge which ones make it easy over time because most people just don't do this even if it is possible.

The thing you might want to have a look at is to get an Odroid XU4 or Rock64 or something, these are normally used with Linux.

Thanks for responding
>The thing you might want to have a look at is to get an Odroid XU4 or Rock64 or something, these are normally used with Linux.
You're right, that's probably a good idea. Rock64 are 99% FOSS I believe, so drivers should remain available for newer kernels

>I hearth that other boxes from other manufacturers had very low quality.
No, not true. Most brands on the market produce devices that are just fine. [You get the hardware as specified and they don't die quickly.]

> Xiomi [...] has a brand associated with some quality.
Sure.

YES BY XIAOMI
SUPERIR CHINA QUARITY AND LEPUTATION

Attached: 15247766-chinese-kids.jpg (1300x1300, 147K)

got one, used it for 1 day and realized that i dont need it since i have a laptop right next to the tv
no ethernet port so you must also buy the usb thingy
im sure it can be used for some sort of media consumption but a laptop with an hdmi cable can do everything 10000x better

Go fuck yourself, Scamsung.

I am not saying that xiomi has the best quality in the world. All i was trying to say is that compared to other Chinese manufacturers they have a brand that is more associated with quality

>t.

Attached: zhoustein.png (505x576, 34K)

the device has wifi, right? If it does, why not use it instead of Ethernet? It will be slower, but if you are watching 720p movies like I do, it should not be much of a problem

>it should not be much of a problem
it will, i guarantee it
unless you have the router next to it, but if you want to put it comfily around/under the tv it will lose connection
save yourself the trouble and buy a $10 usb2ethernet

its ok as a media server in general
but thats it

no it wont the main router on my house is a good 15 meters from the box but without a single wall inbetween
streaming 1080i with a 10 second buffer in the start is perfectly capable on doing

will this orange smell better than this steak?

i will consider it. I may just try and see if there will be a problem. Still, thank you for the info.

It struggles with 10gb+ files, which you might see if you use real debrid. Otherwise it's good enough for streaming.

I wouldn't use Android for web because that's just fucking stupid

Btw what do you guys think about Amazon Fire TV Stick vs Mi box?

odroid

kek