So what makes the 2018 MBP so hated? The keyboard? The price?

So what makes the 2018 MBP so hated? The keyboard? The price?

Attached: 598438-macbook-pro-2018.jpg (810x456, 88K)

Other urls found in this thread:

laptopmag.com/benchmarks/color-gamut
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The CEO

As a MBP user myself:

>Keyboards suck compared to thicker laptops
>Price is ridicoulous for the Hardware, but somewhat justified by the very good and thought out software pack
>Costumer support was great (for me). Got live chat support and problem solving even though i was way out of the offical time period for support.
>Reflective Screen is terrible. Constantly adjusting the screen when sitting in a bright room (which is every day for hours in the library)
>trackpad is one of a kind, renders mouse obsolete
>keyboard gets easily dusty/stuck/behaving erratically
>but most of all: completely toxic overall environement. Planned obsolescence on a whole new level (iphones are the opposite here though)

The low quality

>Costumer support
kek

>the huawei chinkbook ends up actually being more expensive at the same level of performance or worse in anything other than games once you factor in having to replace the SSD due to lolwindows10 (Eurofag here, we only get the i5/8GB model for cheap)
>Lelnovo charging 2000 minimum for their X1 Carbon which has shit QA and bargain bin netbook speakers
>XPS 13 is too small for a 16:9 laptop

Is there a single good option in this entire niche?

Technically, the kind of support Macs get is not much different from a lot of other laptop manufacturers. Lenovo will not provide proper Windows 10 drivers for my W520, which was an incredibly expensive computer on launch. It got drivers for Windows 8 and that's it, there is no official support for the newest version of Windows. Hell, they don't even have ANY drivers for ANY of their pre-xx20 series computers. They're actively trying to kill them off. The difference between a company like that and Apple is that Lenovo ultimately has no control over the operating system, so you can technically still keep updating it if you wanted, even if the end result is a bit suboptimal.

>The keyboard?
it's a defective by design keyboard with nothing but problems. Apple's got a "service program" for it but they make all kinds of excuses anyway. they didn't even change the design on their models even though they know it's got problems.

there's one big difference with is rather important, you can very easily service a Lenovo and as good as all other laptops for that matter. if you break the screen you can get a standard off the shelf 1080p IPS and replace it yourself in 5 minutes. you can add RAM or replace the HDD and most other things all by yourself. I've never had to call Lenovo to upgrade the HDD, why would I, it's easily done in 2 minutes. On a Macbook you can't.

Attached: Kevin Backhouse - Video of my PoC for CVE-2018-4407. It crashes any macOS High Sierra or iOS 11 devi (1080x606, 598K)

>Is there a single good option in this entire niche?
Prestigio SmartBook 133S

>1500$ for 8GB Memory, 128GB Storage and a dual core

>can get an entry level 2018 MBP for the same price
Seriously, what's the point?

>you can very easily service a Lenovo and as good as all other laptops for that matter

True, but they are making servicing much more difficult, and the QC on things like motherboards has really taken a nosedive in recent years. My company purchased about thirty X250s back in 2015, and out of the box five of them had bad motherboards. In other words, 16% of the computers that were delivered to the fucking customer were DOA. That's a pathetic QC rate. On top of that, another six computers failed within a year and had to be replaced under warranty. If you count those are part of the original batch, then 36% of the computers that were sent to us were either DOA or dead within a year. All probably from shit like blown capacitors or bad resistors on the board, not easy problems to fix. For a company that touts its "professional" chops, that's completely unacceptable.

We have this thread every day. Report and hide, lads.

Attached: macshills.jpg (4500x3000, 1.6M)

Dual core CPU, battery life is apparently not really that great compared to other older macs, keyboard is trash and probably suffers from dust-induced damage and ports are near to none.
All for 1k+ USD. No thanks.

Because people were getting excited for an affordable, modern MacBook Air.

But instead they got a MacBook Air that is now almost as expensive as a Pro while being less powerful and the price can't even be justified. It's not an "all-new" design, it's mashed together with bits and pieces from their other laptops over the past 3 years or so it absolutely could have been a sub $1000 laptop.

Like the outgoing MacBook Air was way to expensive for what it was in 2018, updating it to 2015 standards shouldn't mean it's now a premium machine.

keyboard is still dying
throttling like hell
if your mac breaks you can kiss your files good bye

>everyone who uses a different brand of computer to me MUST be paid!!!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Attached: tin foil hat.jpg (800x450, 117K)

>>Price is ridicoulous for the Hardware, but somewhat justified by the very good and thought out software pack

Isnt software basically free?

I mean user, do you know what the pirate bay is? Limewire? Napster?

Do you actually buy music instead of just supporting your band directly through patreon?

What kind of fucking retard are you

>Keyboards suck compared to thicker laptops
Surface Laptop is thinner and can easily smash the MBP keyboard though

2/10 made me reply

Hated on Jow Forums and YouTube comments. Loved everywhere else.

To be fair about the keyboard, I like it. I like the lack of travel and added stability making keys easier to strike. I like the individual LEDs. I like the fact that it no longer gets BTFO by crumbs.

Same design for 10 years.
No more magsafe
No more ports
Planned obsolescence
No longer a premium brand

Apple should abandon their current design language, do some fancy magnesium chassis or whatever and start again. Bonus points for going ARM only to get 30 hours of battery life and completely destroy the competition.

Attached: IMG_1244.jpg (1280x960, 252K)

poorly designed keyboard and cooling system at an insane price point.

Hated by whom? Poorfags who never used it?

Today I was working with a student (as a tutor) on an essay. We started on his new 15" MBP but the keyboard was so thoroughly horrible we moved to my old 13". That was probably a $2500 machine too and you might as well have been typing on an iPad.

>Same design for 10 years.
Not broke, don't fix it.
>No more magsafe
Sad, but not a dealbreaker. You can just plug it in on the other side now to avoid trips altogether.
>No more ports
Thunderbolt 3 can do anything any other port can do, and better. Current MacBook Pros can handle more in/output than ever before, despite having fewer physical ports. Hell, earlier MacBooks couldn't even use all their ports at full capacity simultaneously.
>Planned obsolescence
Don't think so.
>No longer a premium brand
How do you figure?

At the minimum they should have built magsafe into the power cord. It's such a wonderful feature I can't imagine what possessed them to remove it.

Apple is on a tear making all their products worse while also more expensive, seemingly to see how far they can push their customers loyalty.

If only their software wasn't so much better than the competition.

The keyboard is absolutely garbage, yes. I dropped it for that alone. Honestly the only outstanding thing about it is the touchpad. The rest is overpriced shit

Attached: 127387213981273918231.jpg (1000x1411, 1.1M)

>It's such a wonderful feature
I don't remember ever benefiting from it, while it was fucking annoying. An optional adapter included, so one could chose to have it or to skip it wouldn't be too hard to do though.

More expensive sure but worse? They been constantly improving despite the lack of competition. The only issue with their current laptop design is lack of consistency when it comes to features like TouchID and the huge bezels.

it's not "Pro"

>Planned obsolescence
>Don't think so.
When the battery dies you have to throw away the whole machine because no spare parts.

>No longer a premium brand
>How do you figure?
Everyone and their mom has one.
Every store carries them.
Quality got a lot worse over the years.
No more distinction between entry level consumer machines and high end power machines.
Selling obsolete trash like the TN panel Air.
"We don't ship junk" just isn't true anymore.

>but most of all: completely toxic overall environement. Planned obsolescence on a whole new level (iphones are the opposite here though)
Could you go more into this?

>When the battery dies you have to throw away the whole machine because no spare parts.
Which will happen much slower than most people will want an upgrade either way.

People hate it because the pricing is towards the upper end of the spectrum for laptops. It's expensive.

You'll never see a person looking for a laptop with no budget limit NOT choosing a macbook.

Keyboards, hardware, ethics... Those are all bullshit. It's expensive.

USB audio doesn't work properly
Coilwhine
Not able to sustain 100% workload
touchbar
too thin
no Usb3
no hdmi
no sdcard
no magnetic power charging
build quality
keyboard
screen quality is a fucking lottery!! on a Pro series laptop...

When I upgrade my laptop I want to give the old one to a family member. Even those old core2duo Macbook Pros would all be perfectly good laptops today if the batteries weren't dead.

Early 2015 MBP owner here. I'm glad my one has full size USB-A ports, MagSafe, and a full size HDMI port.

So yeah, I dislike the 2018 one for getting rid of those ports. I also dislike the touch bar, resulting in a lack of physical Escape key. If I bought a 2018 MBP I 'd probably get one with a physical Escape key.

MBPs are probably still the best laptops on the market, but it's a shame they've taken these stupid decisions, in my opinion. If I were in the market for a laptop now (which I won't be for a good few years) I'd probably also look at the Dell XPS line. But the MBP is probably still going to have better build quality and better software.

Good luck running FCPX or Logic on your windows computer tard

Combine premium price with less features than its predecessores and lower quality hardware than other brands.
Previous macbooks were only 200 bucks more expensive than their competition with similar specs. Nowadays it's 1000 bucks more. And nowadays they compete with previous macbook versions as well because of cable compatibility.

As an ex- owner it was performance.

pic related: all have same 6-core cpus

Attached: screen-shot-2018-07-19-at-110925-am.jpg (2229x1671, 192K)

blacked

What is a computer?

Freedom has a price and I'm too poor to pay it. Currently waiting on zen 2 laptops so I can ditch my 2015 macbook "pro"

I know the 15 inch gets mocked for being a throttling worthless meme but how do people feel about the 13 inch compared to competitors like the Matebook X Pro? 13 inch ultrabooks with premium materials and high quality, high resolution displays all trend around the same price here in Europe so there's no Apple tax to factor in.

what happened?

I just bought the 2017 edition because i want function keys, its cheaper, and i unironically wanted the 15w 2c4t over the 28w hourefire 4c8t in my ultrabook

Just get a fucking thinkpad or a surface pro 2

They had to get rid of MagSafe because it was a bitch to use on a bed and because it kept starting fires. Also magnets get weaker over time.

What if I don't want a 60% sRGB screen
>X1C
Literally more expensive than a mac

>same design
The current macbook pros are the size of macbook airs. That thing is a brick

Its 256gb for that price

The 13 is also a throttling meme with the 4c8t 28 watt housefire in it. Not worth the extra 300 for that and the meme bar over the 2017 with 256gb imo

I have magsafe connectors I've been using for over a decade without any issue.

I have a 2014 Retina and was all geared up to buy a new one until

1. Shit keyboard which breaks easily
2. Got rid of ports for USB-C shit turning it into a donglebook when it's supposed to be 'Pro'

I was already done with this iteration of Macbook but then I realized that Apple is extremely hostile to people who want to repair their own shit or have it done by an independent shop. Don't have time for that, so 2014 Retina is first and last Apple product for me. I might pick up an old iPhone second hand for app development

Report and sage, lads. Report and sage.

Attached: wangblows.jpg (355x1280, 48K)

The dongals suck but at least itd usb c and u can use them on regular phones and computers. Usb c to hdmi and c to usb a can both be used on my s8 too so i get some utility out of it

>Planned obsolescence
>MacBook Pro
What? Only iPhones have an expiration date.
I've been using a base model 2014 13 inch MBP for about 4 years now and I still edit videos and make music with it, it does take a while to render complicated stuff but it's not too bad, even with its shitty integrated graphics.
The 2010 White Macbook I had before this one is still being used to this day, and even though it doesn't support Mojave I'd say it can still last a good 4-5 more years running smoothly with High Sierra.
I'm willing to bet money there are people still using the 17 inch MBPs from 2011 today for professional work without any problems and so on. The only reason why the mid 2000's machines don't work anymore is because they changed the processors to Intel only and the 64 bit requirement that was implemented in Lion.

In fact I'd be really fucking surprised if a maxed out 2018 15 inch was not a reliable computer in 15 years. Mac is made to last.

Attached: CjcQBE6.jpg (362x346, 36K)

The price, lack of ports, keyboard, os that gets only worse since lion.

A computer is a device that can be instructed to carry out sequences of arithmetic or logical operations automatically via computer programming. Modern computers have the ability to follow generalized sets of operations, called programs. These programs enable computers to perform an extremely wide range of tasks.

The Verge logic

>don't compare the new Macbook Air to other modern laptops, compare it to its older generation

Attached: file.png (748x157, 24K)

Report for what? You realise submitting false reports is a bannable offence, right?

Also:
>i don't like one company's technology products so i'm going to say "ur gay lol" if you like them
Are you literally thirteen years old? You realise being underage on Jow Forums is a bannable offence, right?

macbook pro is the most based laptop

I have it and enjoy it. last MBP was the (still all time favorite) 2015 retina.

For me, the point of a laptop is to be as portable and useful as possible. As someone who travels and runs a business, the thinness is actually really nice and noticeable over my 2015. Lack of ports is still annoying but I keep a port hub with my cables attached to my workstation, in a way it's actually more convenient because when I get home I just have to plug one thing and and instantly my monitor, charger, and USB devices are all connected. on the go there's really no need to plug a bunch of shit into my laptop anyways.

Battery life is great, lasts a whole day.

overall 8/10. was annoyed that they didn't even carry a version with 16gb ram in the store, so just ordered online and specced it out.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-11-06 at 4.57.16 PM.png (597x361, 104K)

>throttling meme
That was before the fix. Though unless one needs maximal CPU performance, the 2017 version is probably indeed better.

They can't go "it's worse than 12" Macbook and any MBP" if they want to get another sample couple days earlier. If you read between the lines, it was a fair review, just short on numbers.

>still on High Sierra

even if it were 5 dollars it has a shit keyboard

The keyboard is utter garbage. Too little travel, layout sucks (where are the Pg Up, Pg Down, Home, End, Insert and Delete keys?), and is prone to having problems from mere motes of dust.

The touchpad is way too big. The previous touchpads that Apple had were just the right size.

Soldered in RAM and soldered in SSD makes the price of the computers unnecessarily expensive. I don't mind Apple making a profit (they are practically the only company that seems to try new things although that has changed since Jobs died) but their pricing on memory is usurious.

And finally, the durability/reliability of the MacBook Pros is astonishing bad for how expensive the computers are. There are plenty of stories where the MagSafe catches fire or just spontaneously ceases to work despite being well cared for. I'm on my 4th or 5th AC adapter and I essentially use my MBP as a desktop computer. That is, I almost never unplug it and move it.

OH NO NO NO NO NO
AAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Attached: 1538372932840.png (682x989, 394K)

>Coilwhine
You mistyped Dell.
>screen quality is a fucking lottery!! on a Pro series
Macbook pro screens are miles ahead of what stock light bleeding piece of IPS shit you get everywhere else,

You are retarded shill posting same picture comparing a gayming laptop vs a slim mediabook, please kys.

don't forget it's also 2GHz

Poo in the fucking loo street shitter.
laptopmag.com/benchmarks/color-gamut