Spacemacs

How do I get good with spacemacs?

Attached: Spacemacs_logo.svg.png (1000x1000, 220K)

Are you already good with emace? If no, then first get good with emacs.

And learn vim.

Use vanilla emacs with your own configurations YOU TOOL

Literally just nu-emacs

Install Microsoft Visual Studio Code

Well it literally is GNU emacs, just has some extra cruft and unnecessary layers of abstraction written in emacs lisp.

spacemacs is what you use if you want to use emacs but don't want to build your own configuration right away. It should be used as a transitional configuration while you learn enough about emacs and elisp to build your own configuration.

You dont and you take the doom emacspill instead

install windows 7 and notepad++

This. Switched to doom two weeks ago and it feels good so far.

Attached: 1521597934049.gif (540x540, 1.13M)

vimtutor.

switch to vscode

>This whole thread is freetard bootlickers trying to defend vanilla emacs
>Well it literally is GNU emacs, just has some extra cruft and unnecessary layers of abstraction written in emacs lisp.
nobody who uses Emacs uses vanilla emacs, everyone uses packages that modernize emacs workflow. If you google "emacs starter kits" you will see that Spacemacs is always at the top of the list.

The docs for Spacemacs are horrible and do not give a good overview of Spacemacs workflow. There are no good youtube tutorials on Spacemacs. Someone should write a book on Spacemacs.

I just add modes for missing languages in Emacs. Otherwise it's just vanilla Emacs.

>nobody who uses Emacs uses vanilla emacs,
i do, stopped reading here

Install vanilla emacs. Work through the tutorial. Install packages when you need them. Learn you enough lisp to know how to edit the .emacs file. Intimately learn the help system and how to invoke it, it's what you'll be using when in doubt. Eventually you'll realise how great vim is at the specific task of editing text and you'll want to install evil, but that is a story for another day.

vanilla emacs hotkeys are moronic and will give you RSI, more people who do use vanilla emacs will use evil mode to save their fingers, Spacemacs just extends the single key command workflow of vim to all of emacs, its a brilliant idea, don't get stuck using ancient software technology that only people who worship commie-jew would use

switched to doom emacs recently, no regrets, it's so much faster than spacemacs it's not even funny

use GNU/Emacs you filthy cunt

Attached: 1530301954199.jpg (690x460, 186K)

Spacemacs is an editor per se?
Always thought it was just a package or a mode or whatever these things are called. Like org-mode or something.

everything in emacs is part of a mode, when you start up emacs you're in fundamental mode, when you open a C++ file you're in cc-mode, you can never not be in a major mode and you can have as many minor modes running as you want

Man, emacs is a pain in the ass to get started with.
So many things to catch up, new habits to take when you just open the door to see what is going on in there.
it feels like wearing someone else's underwear or something.
I just want autocomplete-mode, swiper and flycheck.

It's a (very extensive) configuration of emacs.

>switched to doom emacs recently, no regrets, it's so much faster than spacemacs it's not even funny
Tell me about doom. Does it use the space bar like spacemacs?

>The docs for Spacemacs are horrible and do not give a good overview of Spacemacs workflow.
Actually if you know vim there is a vim migration guide in spacemacs that will get you started with everything in like 10 minutes.

please convince me, senpai, I just downloaded spacemacs 2 days ago after using vim for a while , and DOOM is always a plus

Attached: 1509507413844.png (1606x1406, 237K)