What is Microsoft up to Jow Forums?

community.spiceworks.com/topic/2173600-microsoft-to-port-sysinternals-tools-to-linux

Why are they being so friendly to Linux these days? What are they really up to Jow Forums? Surely it's not a good thing.

Attached: Microsoft-Logo.jpg (1642x2021, 319K)

Other urls found in this thread:

change.org/p/microsoft-stop-the-porting-of-the-sysinternals?recruiter=911330646&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=share_petition
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embrace,_extend,_and_extinguish
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Embrace, extend, extinguish.

from what I understand there's a very pro *nix culture there(ie. most of their programmers install gentoo), so that might be the result of that

it's not 1995 anymore, grandpa

I can't help but think there's some sort of long-term nefarious strategy going on here.

Just guessing here, but maybe they are realizing there are many more skilled Unix programmers than MS system developers. When was the last Microsoft systems programming book even written?

Maybe long term it makes it more standardized and easier to find talent

they want to integrate the unix kernel to make their OS more competitive to the macOS. many silicon valley developers use macs because they have the unix kernel. when windows has these features, too, more devs might stay with windows

By porting their stuff to Linux, by donating to the Linux foundation, they increase developers dependability on Microsoft. This in turn gives Microsoft more leeway in what happens on the kernel, and they can use that clout to better control the development direction of the kernel.

that's google now

"hey look we're a top mega-corporation but we really care about freedoms!"
just another chunk of PR shit

>MS bought Skype
>Then killed it
Just because Google does something doesn't mean MS has changed.

not dumb enough to fall for your tricks, microshill. Nothing has changed since then, Linux is more of a threat to windows than ever nowadays. It's market share is growing, it's getting better by the day, and Windows 10 has turned off more people than ever. Their closeness to Linux and their purchase of Github is part of their plan to destroy free software.

this

Windows is a dead OS walking and MS knows it. Computing will only continue shifting away from the desktop (where Windows still reigns supreme) and towards mobile devices (where MS has little hope of becoming a serious player). On the bright side for MS, they can still compete in the cloud business pretty well.

wtf freetards don't deserve our tools I'm making a petition to stop this

Literally not news. Their strategy from day one has been to dump their software on every OS. They have been doing this to apple and IBM for 40 years.

Please do, I don't want MS getting their bloody claws in my kernel

it's not your kernel

>He hasn't contributed to the Linux kernel
Either way, please do tell them to stop porting their shitty tools to Linux

planning on porting windows to the linux kernel and having a windows translation layer

>He contributed to the Linux kernel
it's not your kernel still

Just make the fucking petition you annoying goose

what petition?

XD of course you're a different user.

I think MS has just finally realised that Linux is in a terrrible state and needs saving from obsolescence so courageous satya nadella has stepped in to support Linux buy offering it more support. Linux is good, but in a Windows ME kinda way.

what? are you dumb?

See
>mfw I have to share a board with /b/

change.org/p/microsoft-stop-the-porting-of-the-sysinternals?recruiter=911330646&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=share_petition

K here you go. Behold the power of change.org

Signed, thank you

It's not EEE if you buy something and then kill it. Name the last time MS actually killed something by adding support for it and extending it.

That is exactly what EEE is. They embrace a tech, they extend their functionality to use the tech, then they kill the tech. There is nothing in there that says they can't buy it to do that. That's practically what they're known for

hey now you don't become a monopoly when there are other options around, do you?

Thank God there are other options around

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embrace,_extend,_and_extinguish
Literally says in 1:
>Embrace: Development of software substantially compatible with a competing product, or implementing a public standard.

All of the examples on the page are about making a competitior to product/standard they want to kill. Browser, Java, Kerberos, AOL's IM, Adobe PDF.

I don't know what your sources are but EEE as percieve by public does not involve buying the competing product.

They bought skype and they just killed it, without extending it.