/ag/&/am/: audio general & audiophile memes

I heard you like tweeters edition

Attached: McIntosh-XRT21K-thumb-800xauto-18314.jpg (800x1476, 62K)

Other urls found in this thread:

audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/perceptual-effects-of-room-reflections.13/#post-141
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Just use an AMT or ribbon like a normal person.

hello lads I'm a newfag when it comes to audio, planning to buy some used speakers I could put on my desk and an used amp. I'd like to keep it under $250 cause eastern yurop, the sound will be coming through an creative x-fi sound card. Do y'all have some list or an infographic of /ag/ approved speakers, amps and so on?

There are dozens of options, but I really love the Fluance ai40. Really awesome set of power speakers for $200 USD.

Attached: Fluance-Ai40-Powered-Bookshelf-Speakers-gear-patrol-slide-2-1940x1300.jpg (1940x1300, 144K)

Why are speakers made to stand vertically. Any disadvantages to setting them sideways?

Tweeter-(midwoofer/midrange) drivers are usually spaced apart far enough compared to the wavelengths that an interference pattern emerges where the drivers both have significant output. This creates nulls off-axis around the crossover frequency, or over the entire midrange for MTM-type speakers. The sweet spot is narrower on the axis that drivers are aligned in.
So, vertical arrangement is sacrificed for horizontal, since the horizontal position will normally vary more.

Attached: big_7845496_0_900-527.jpg (900x527, 89K)

That's a wierd looking toaster

Not all speakers are vertical. Center channel speakers are almost exclusively horizontal.

Attached: big_9268515_0_1024-594.jpg (1024x594, 375K)

Reminder

Attached: .png (692x390, 171K)

I see nothing wrong with this
I'm 29, I own JBLs, I use Foobar, I love Quake 3

>his loudspeakers have non constant directivity

Attached: 15416249004070[1].png (449x401, 512K)

Soo excuse me if this is retarded, but:
If i place a good microphone in the listening position and i start sending a sound to my speakers for every 1/3 of octave always with the same theoretical SPL as generated by software, and then equalize the speakers so that the SPL measured by the microphone is always the same for every frequency, have i created a good hi-fi setup? To make it even better i could use smaller fractions of octave?

Save yourself the trouble and run Room EQ Wizard.

I don't think it's recommended to eq above room transition frequency

You can use much finer gradations than 1/3 octave with digital control.
You want to correct for axial colorations of the speaker and the low frequency effects of the room. Some of the in-room response will be a balance of the speaker's spatial response and room absorption, which is hard to adjust. These will dominate higher up.

Ohh that seems really cool. Can i really get by with that cheap usb microphone they recommend on their website?

Really? Why? Would that mean that i shouldn't touch anything above 50Hz as my room is 7m in its longest dimension?

There seem to be so much stuff to take care of, is there a comprehensive noob-friendly guide to follow if you want to make a room sound good without treatment?

>Really? Why? Would that mean that i shouldn't touch anything above 50Hz as my room is 7m in its longest dimension?
I think Floyd Toole says it's not a good idea. You can read his book called "Sound Reproduction", it's very informative. Also try ASR forum.
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/perceptual-effects-of-room-reflections.13/#post-141

Floyd Toole's book is a good starter for an audiophile or home theater enthusiast, but too long for a quick improvement. He has an hour long talk and an open access paper that could be considered a summary.
As for equalization, you can totally use it to hit room modes. This is what it excels at. A room mode calc can give you a rough idea or your transition frequency, where you have to be careful with using EQ. (cont)

I just got a receiver for a 5.1 setup, what are some Jow Forums approved brands for speakers?

I am an octal.

Attached: i am an octal.jpg (1633x2048, 768K)

>Can i really get by with that cheap usb microphone they recommend on their website?
There's no need for anything more expensive unless you're starting a large business or doing real research. For anything less, a UMIK-1 is overkill even.

The problem with measuring in a room is that reflections screw up your frequency response. To oversimplify, the mic can't tell the difference between direct sound and reflections that your ears can easily discern. So an example: Say your speakers have a nasty peak in the response. Depending on the mic/reflection distances, you can end up measuring a dip instead. Try to fill in the ghost dip with EQ, and you end up boosting the real peak even more. The FR graph is flat, but your ears are bleeding.

To get a real measurement, you need to put the speaker (and the mic) in the biggest room you can, farthest away from reflecting surfaces as possible (including the floor). You can tell REW to ignore reflections after a certain point in exchange for removing lower frequency information. The longer the reflections are delayed, the more accurate lower response you can get. It gets very difficult (and takes a big ass room) to get real info below 500Hz.

You can EQ below the transition frequency (with mic at LP) all you want because that's when sound stops reflecting like light does. When bass wavelengths become larger than room dimensions the sound forms pockets of standing waves or "modes". For that one listening position, what the mic hears is what you hear.

>comprehensive noob-friendly guide to follow if you want to make a room sound good without treatment
No guide, but here's the gist: The basic reason for room treatment is to remove shitty sounding reflections caused by the shitty off-axis behavior most speakers have.
So, buy constant directivity speakers. They have off-axis behavior similar to on-axis, so reflections increase Spaciousness instead of fucking with the sound.