I have an idea for a programming language, but no idea how to make it

I have an idea for a programming language, but no idea how to make it.
Should I patent it?

Attached: high-level programming.jpg (1280x720, 490K)

No.

if you don't know how programming languages work, then your idea must be terrible.

ideas are cheap, you don't know what your doing and have zero claims.

That's like saying if you don't know how to cook you can't invent a new dish

you can invent a new dish, but its gonna be shit if you dont know how to cook

You make it by making a list of expression primitives common to all languages but a few of which may be unique to yours to serve the way it works and a list of token prims, each of which represents a symbol or keyword accepted in your language's syntax.
You interpret text files written in your language with a lexer that scans the chars and builds a list of tokens for that file.
You then interpret the list of tokens with a parser that builds an expression in the form of an abstract syntax tree (AST) representing the program described in the file. Make sure your context-free grammar is right-recursive if using a recursive descent parser!
You then feed the AST into a backend composed of an analyzer, optimizer, and code generator, although this part is trickier.
After that, you have a compiler and an executable written in your new language! Have a coffee break.

Attached: Nicole Waterson reaction 24.png (687x717, 516K)

What is the idea?

Attached: Ruby.png (1200x1200, 210K)

which is often true, if you insist the new dish doesn't taste like shit. Chocolate shrimp cocktail, yum yum.

I understood that reference.

if it’s really a good idea (it most definitely is not) you can write the standard and let someone else implement it

if you don't know how to cook you can't invent a new dish

I have selected another book at random, this time from the cookbook aisle of a bookstore. The book is A Taste of Hawaii: New Cooking from the Crossroads of the Pacific. Therein I have discovered an as yet uncelebrated mystical treatise. While it appears to be a recipe for wok-seared fish and shrimp cakes with ogo-tomato relish, we need only study its list of ingredients to know that we are in the presence of an unrivaled spiritual intelligence:

snapper filet, cubed

3 teaspoons chopped scallions

salt and freshly ground black pepper

a dash of cayenne pepper

2 teaspoons chopped fresh ginger

1 teaspoon minced garlic

8 shrimp, peeled, deveined, and cubed

1/2 cup heavy cream; 2 eggs, lightly beaten

3 teaspoons rice wine; 2 cups bread crumbs

3 tablespoons vegetable oil; 2 1/2 cups ogo tomato relish

The snapper filet, of course, is the individual himself -- you and I -- awash in the sea of existence. But here we find it cubed, which is to say that our situation must be remedied in all three dimensions of body, mind, and spirit.

Three teaspoons of chopped scallions further partakes of the cubic symmetry, suggesting that that which we need add to each level of our being by way of antidote comes likewise in equal proportions. The import of the passage is clear: the body, mind, and spirit need to be tended to with the same care.

Salt and freshly ground black pepper: here we have the perennial invocation of opposites -- the white and the black aspects of our nature. Both good and evil must be understood if we would fulfill the recipe for spiritual life. Nothing, after all, can be excluded from the human experience (this seems to be a Tantric text). What is more, salt and pepper come to us in the form of grains, which is to say that our good and bad qualities are born of the tiniest actions. Thus, we are not good or evil in general, but only by virtue of innumerable moments, which color the stream of our being by force of repetition.

Attached: Fried Green Tomatoes with Shrimp Remoulade, Appetizer 500.jpg (400x266, 38K)

A dash of cayenne pepper: clearly, being of such robust color and flavor, this signifies the spiritual influence of an enlightened adept. What shall we make of the ambiguity of its measurement? How large is a dash? Here we must rely upon the wisdom of the universe at large. The teacher himself will know precisely what we need by way of instruction. And it is at just this point in the text that the ingredients that bespeak the heat of spiritual endeavor are added to the list -- for after a dash of cayenne pepper, we find two teaspoons of chopped fresh ginger and one teaspoon of minced garlic. These form an isosceles trinity of sorts, signifying the two sides of our spiritual nature (male and female) united with the object meditation.

Next comes eight shrimp -- peeled, deveined, and cubed. The eight shrimp, of course, represent the eight worldly concerns that every spiritual aspirant must decry: fame and shame; loss and gain; pleasure and pain; praise and blame. Each needs to be deveined, peeled, and cubed -- that is, purged of its power to entrance us and incorporated on the path of practice.

Attached: ShrimpPesto.jpg (640x640, 140K)

God dammit I read it in her voice.

If you think it's a good idea then yes. In the early days of terminal computing programming languages were based off of syntax made by mathematicians, before digital computing was even a thing. You don't really have to know anything about computers to make a language, but you should have a decent knowledge of the more abstract material in computer science.

Is this some sort of autistic /ck/ pasta?

Absolutely. Walk on down to the patent office right now and tell them about your fantastic idea you know nothing about with no design documents whatsoever. I'm sure you will get your patent right away.

Patent office doesn't really care. It's up to you to defend your patent if you get sued, though. The patent office doesn't decide the legitimacy of any patent, they just document it.

Make a compiler for it.

Both are right

whats your idea?

>trying to make money of a programming language
That doesn't work if you don't have a platform to take hostage.

>they just document it.
That's the problem was pointing : there is no documentation.