Windows as a concept has shit the bed

>Windows as a concept has shit the bed
>Mac is cancer
>Linux is overly-complicated, user-unfriendly and not compatible with tons of shit
Um, okay guys, this isn't funny anymore. I really need a new fucking computer. The fuck am I supposed to do?

Attached: 9810mvsdx5r11.jpg (720x1118, 106K)

you have IP laws to thank

Chrome OS

Linux hasn't been complicated and unfreindly for a long time. Just get a noob friendly distro like Mint Cinnamon.

>Developers aren't lazy and unimaginative

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-11-08 at 10.46.26 PM.png (395x573, 172K)

Sounds like you don’t care about what you use, so you should get Mac.

Disgusting. I care very much about not supporting an unhealthy cult that helped a talentless and evil piece of shit become the most wealthy and powerful men in history.

*one of the

And compatibility? I actually use a LOT of Microsoft products because I've literally been using them since the 90s.

If you're reliant on Microsoft technology, then you'll have to get used to shit in your bed

then stop using microsoft products.

>supporting an unhealthy cult
Literally every platform, newb

Install gentoo

just learn Linux. It only seems overly complicated because it's new to you and you are not used to this level of control over your computer.

ipad pro

This

>arcane = control
I could always drop into the system debugger in Mac OS.

Debian is unfriendly. The concept of the frankendebian should not exist on an OS that is made well.

Debloated Windows is still the best choice.

im not advocating for Debian, not even for LMDE, the reason things are formed is usually to improve on something.

Ubuntu + Mint
>and thats from a winfaggot. Our glory days are (long) behind us, we drown in pajeetism and Solitaire Deluxe Subscriptions. We must conquer new land. There can be no more excusing that which is no longer excusable

>Use products made by a company convicted of violating antitrust laws in several countries
>Wonder why it's hard to switch and they can get away with whatever bullshit they want
I really don't know why I keep having to have this conversation with people

>Debloated Windows
Bwhaa hahahaha

Oh, you're serious. Good God man, what is wrong with you?

Solus, or an Ubuntu derivative (KDE or MATE would be my suggestion)

I have word documents alone that are almost certainly both more valuable and older than you are.

10 is absolute fucking cancer. It tries to take control of your computer away from you.

>Our glory days are (long) behind us, we drown in pajeetism and Solitaire Deluxe Subscriptions. We must conquer new land. There can be no more excusing that which is no longer excusable
I know. I just don't have time for the incompatibilities. And as much as I hate Word, I've seen nothing better and I've tried various other word processing programs. Most were needlessly complicated and dysfunctional.

I know WHY. I'm looking for options. And apparently there are none. This is the death of computing.

do you mean GNU operating system with Linux kernel when you refer to "Linux"?

>I know WHY. I'm looking for options. And apparently there are none. This is the death of computing.
Computing is doing fine, but maybe you have to adapt your habits.

>I have word documents
Well damn. I have bad news for you, buddy. Looks like you'll never be able to switch from your current setup. You should have mentioned right from the start that you have word documents.
>I'm looking for options. And apparently there are none.
I can tell you have really done your research. I hope you have insurance on that OS. The only possible way for you to retain the information from your three decade old text files is keeping your current installation. If I were you I wouldn't even dare to update my system anymore.

This.

Best way to cope with windows is to use LTSB and clean install every time you want to update. Avoided 2 bugs with this. User folders getting deleted, print spooler vulnerability (Had it disabled already)

>I can tell you have really done your research. I hope you have insurance on that OS. The only possible way for you to retain the information from your three decade old text files is keeping your current installation.
This is one of the dumbest condescending things I've ever seen written here. Nobody was even implying word documents were being used on one install from fucking 1995.

>If I were you I wouldn't even dare to update my system anymore.
Yeah, that's sort of the problem. I note you make criticisms, not suggestions. That means you know shit.

The only solution would be to take Linux, obliterate GNU and design a consistent OS with modern design paradigm.

No one will ever do that. And if they ever did, they'd either die in obscurity or have the OS community re-establish all of Linux' original issues by porting over the entire malformed toolchain with its non-standard commands, file structures and configuration files. Not to mention all of the atrocious GUIs.

You are really, really dense. You could have already found multiple solutions to your problem if you would do at least 30 seconds of research and not create retarded threads.
>I note you make criticisms, not suggestions. That means you know shit.
No it doesn't. It's not even correlated. The only thing we can know for sure is that you know shit, since you had to make this thread.

If you have three decade old word documents then it's pretty obvious that you aren't modifying them anymore. You could open up your MS Word and save those files again but in a different file extension, one that's more open to other platforms. You do know that there are other options in the list than just .doc and .docx? You could also convert them to PDF which doesn't even need Office to show it, you can read them straight from the browser. You could also try to open them in Libreoffice, see if they work perfectly or not, then copy the text content to another Libreoffice file and create a different file type from that, one that is more supported. You could also use Google Docs or the fucking Microsoft's own Office Online which only need a browser. There is pretty much no way for you to lose the text data permanently if you switch from Windows, which you were supposed to read from between the lines already.

which part of " not compatible with tons of shit" did you miss?

you don't get shit done with linux unless you're web browsing or using it as a server os. period. In the real world, windows is king for "getting shit done ©".

Your a idiot.

> look ma I know all Jow Forums memes

>The only solution would be to take Linux, obliterate GNU and design a consistent OS with modern design paradigm.
Yep, I've said this before. And we all know if it ever happened it would just be so commercialized they'd destroy it.

>No it doesn't. It's not even correlated.
>blue-boardmind

>If you have three decade old word documents then it's pretty obvious that you aren't modifying them anymore.
What gave you that idea?

Yes Andrew. Literally everybody on the planet uses Linux as a term to describe a Linux kernel based operating system. It's almost 2019 and you haven't comprehended this yet. Are you sure you're okay?

>Linux kernel based operating system
well use a proper term GNU/Linux for it then, as Linux by itself is obviously can't function as an operating system and the term is confusing. how do you know my name?

Linux is compatible with GNU.

Linux is a kernel, it's installed in your Android phones.

>I actually use a LOT of Microsoft products because I've literally been using them since the 90s.
I don't know what you expect us to say. You've locked yourself into the proprietary ecosystem of a tech company and now you have two options: Keep using the ecosystem or go through the unpleasant process of unsticking yourself. Linux has a moderate amount of compatibility with Windows file formats last I checked but you'll still probably need to migrate and tou did that to yourself.

you*

jesus christ telling people that the os/kernel is not compatible with tons of shit is the most triggering bait i can read on Jow Forums.

Linux isn't complicated. Just install Fedora or Ubuntu and be done with it.

Just run PCEM on your linux machine and install windows 98se on your virtual Pentium II, and then install Office 95 on it.

ubuntu doesn't have most of the issues you mentioned. for incompatible software you can just dual-boot.

>Keep using the ecosystem or go through the unpleasant process of unsticking yourself.
Yes, but the conceit here is that there is something better. There is not and everything is continuing to get worse.

>dual-boot
Then what the fuck is the point of Linux?

Wait what happened to Windows again?

This. Just get ubuntu 16.04, its fucking dope

>Linux is overly-complicated
Not really.

>user-unfriendly
Depends on the distro.

>and not compatible with tons of shit
You're gonna have this problem if you use literally anything other than Windows. If you are dependent on Windows-only software, and it doesn't work in Wine or Proton, you have no choice.

>Then what the fuck is the point of Linux?
For everything OTHER than the Windows-only software that you'll need only some of the time.

>only some of the time
You really underestimate how much I use Microsoft products. And let's be perfectly clear (and I'm repeating myself at this point but Linux shills are retarded, so it's inevitable), the reason I'm using Microsoft programs is because they're simply better than any of the others. I've tried others and I hate them all.

There is something better, it's called an open ecosystem that isn't going to run into this crap in the future. That fact alone makes it better. I've been cautious about this ever since I first ended up with old files in Appleworks format that I couldn't get into anymore (having migrated away from the Apple ecosystem).

I think you underestimate how hard I'm laughing at all of this right now

Attached: 1530658665059.jpg (377x351, 24K)

>10
Yeah I know. Do you not like that it's a rolling release or something? I don't think that it's such a bad concept.

Die

Why are you here? You've made up your (bed) mind. If you don't want windows don't use Microsoft products

Is that what they call activation errors popping up because the servers are broken?

I have zero time for an OS that incessantly demands I take unnecessary updates without my consent. No thanks.

Mac is objectively the best OS. Linux is overcomplicated, but it's easy to use. Winblows was trash and cancer since 1.0.

>" not compatible with tons of shit"
What do you have that isn't compatible?

>Windows as a concept has shit the bed
>POSIX developers intentionally or not keep copying lessons learned on Windows in the 90's
Part of systemd may as well be the registry.
flatpack and even things like docker are just the terrible Windows pattern of packing EVERYTHING needed for runtime with your binary. Even if it means having several copies running several different dep versions.
Everything with UI design and Gnome in the past 10 years.

Meanwhile on Windows the developer experience is getting better as they're no longer afraid to take concepts POSIX systems have been using for a while.

What is happening.

>Winblows was trash and cancer since 1.0.
>t. a person who knows literally nothing
There is a reason Windows dominated the market for so long. Anyone pretending otherwise is a useless hipster.

nepotism?

You just keep believing that, Mac cultist. While Steve Jobs was bringing together a suicide cult, Bill Gates was making function OS and programs that lasted a few decades. The company only seems to have really shit the bed after XP. If Microshit could make a usable OS again, I'd STILL never consider Linux or Mactrash.

There has to be a fourth or fifth option. It can't just be broken windows, unusuable linux or garbage mac. Good lord.

go for mint
it has a gui package manager
i was fluently moving through it in about a week
ezpz, minimal terminal knowledge required
best way to transition from windows imo
only reason i dont use it currently is because muh vidya gayms
and that is probably going to change soon with steams efforts on proton and their upstream contributions to wine

learn openbsd and become more self-reliant. you shouldnt support anti-human globalist businesses who hate you anyway.

Retard. The reason is Apple's business model was broken, and nobody else bothered to put out a usable GUI OS. Windows had to piggyback on the prevalence of DOS to begin with. It was shit until they brought NT features to the desktop version.

eh 7 worked rather well, vista was released too soon without enough hardware compatibility, and 8 was really only ruined by the app force feeding

but 10 is absolute turbo shit
nothing but halfassed features that are abandoned immediately after release
if they spent a year or two just polishing the existing features it would be a usable operating system
but instead they just keep pushing half-done half-baked features that hardly work and contain a myriad of bugs
not to mention the operating system itself is bloated as hell for nothing but arbitrary reasons

>mac is cancer
only newer macs. you can still get older macs where not everything is soldered in that run decent i5-i7 and have a reasonable amount of ram. it's only the recent ones with everything soldered to force you to pay applel's stupid prices for ram and cpu upgrades. my 13" 2013 macbook air is pretty comfy imo, and macOS is great.

macs were always cancer
you couldn't pay me enough to use the dumpsterfire abortion that is fagOS

Attached: 1519940227615.png (696x938, 456K)

you must use DOS.

yeah its a shame they moved to soldering over socketing but it really is a financially good move for apple
a large majority of apple's consumerbase will never replace ram or anything of the sort let alone even open the system
they will just shelve/give it away when it doesn't fit their needs and buy the newest model that does
cpu, pcie, and ram sockets are expensive to manufacture due to their complexity and when you produce millions of in-house oem mobos a year it adds up

the ratio of money saved to consumer lost over this decision is very favorable to apple
hence why they are now america's first trillion dollar company

That reason was their illegal aggressive business practices. Anyone pretending otherwise is a retard.

install gentoo

You're not being nice.

Attached: 1499709037791[1].png (511x198, 34K)

hes talking about folders, user. You aren't.
hes also correct in as much as Finder is a piece of retarded garbage that looks like it was conceived in the 70s and last updated in 1994. Its maybe Apples second-worst software, after iTunes PC version. Thing with macOS, you can go from there to Windows easy enough, the reverse is a PITA - 'how the fuck do I..' - You Cant, Usually. Explorer is also a POS, but that and an actually usable search addition, Everything say, shits all over Finder.

it's the same
did you test your own machine?

Attached: 1499709169000[1].png (400x132, 24K)

and this is good

Attached: ca190977-c11a-4175-98a5-28d11040796a_4_full[1].jpg (1200x786, 130K)

Wine is at a point where 95% of windows software written in the past decade is compatible.

DIDNT WORK ON MINE
>fires up G3
they maybe fixed that, a decade later, however.. you cannot be claiming, Finder is a great file manager user, srsly

>you cannot be claiming, Finder is a great file manager user, srsly
It's subjective.
The thing is though, you can use the one you want, on the platforms of your choice.
For OS X, that pulls in all X11 POSIX file managers.
I like finder, for the rare time I use GUI to manage file trees.

Attached: c9dd3082e0f1ce5bef81e126e3c80f8f.jpg (450x600, 72K)

install FreeBSD only reason I have Ubuntu is for Tf2

Ahh~
FreeBSD-Sama
It is warm beside you.

Linux is user friendly, the most simple (well debatable, depends on a distro, but in most cases compared to unix it trades consistency, security and stability for ease of use) and has the widest compatibility of all. Do you perhaps not very knowledgeable on the topic?

>unhealthy cult
Are we still talking about Mac or Linux?

This. It's just unix clone after unix clone meanwhile microshit cranks out spaghetti code like their life depends on it, and apple spits out minor improvements to nextstep and shills their hardware. Why the fuck does everything need to act like UNIX? Can't we try something new? Interesting? More robust or innovative? For fuck's sake.

What's your proposal?

Sure, I'll make the logo.

there is nothing wrong with UNIX and there are not unix-like systems besides Windows but they are unknown because nobody is willing to learn a completely new no name OS

based

>helped a talentless and evil piece of shit become the most wealthy and powerful men in history.
so you cant use windows or mac then
guess it's time for you to install manjaro and then move to arch once you know shit.

did you know you can open and edit word documents in open office, libre office, polaris office, and more?
install solaris or BSD

>There is not and everything is continuing to get worse.
that's it, thread over, welcome to the real world, it's 2018 and everything is worse now, there are no good operating systems, and no good ones on the horizon, get used to getting fucked OP

Ltsc
Ltsb
Ameliorated.info

Solved your problem
Now fuck off

Is this a joke? Apple's business model is literally the only thing it ever had going for it.

>and 8 was really only ruined by the app force feeding
Oh, ya know, that and the shit interface that requires you to do a fucking search literally any time you want to use a basic function of your computer (which 80% of the time returns no relevant results) and has thousands of settings you need to track down and fucking kill just to operate the piece of shit without taking a hammer to your PC.

>but 10 is absolute turbo shit
Yep. I will NOT put a fucking program on my computer that attempts to take over my computer. OS or not. Fuck no. Hell no.

>not to mention the operating system itself is bloated as hell for nothing but arbitrary reasons
They're not arbitrary. Capitalism always returns to feudalism. The customers were getting a little too much freedom for the aristocracy's liking.

Yes.

Fire India into the sun.

Yes, and they're all complete ass.

Unironically?
If you need Windows, install Windows 8.1. Ignore the "muh metro" spergs, no one who complains about that has actually used 8.1.
The start screen is largely an aesthetic thing providing the same workflow as Windows 7's start menu when it comes down to functionality. If you don't like it though, you can simply install Classic Shell and be done with it.

Should you for some weird reason specifically need Windows 10, pirate the Enterprise LTSC version. Get a clean untouched ISO (check the md5 to be sure), and activate it using KMSpico (again check the md5 to be sure it's not been tampered with, and download it from the thread on MDL forums).

If you don't need Windows, grab a good user-friendly Linux distribution like openSUSE, Fedora, or Ubuntu.

They only say mac is cancer because they are dumb kids with no money who want to be elitist and feel like they are better than everyone else.

Just get a mac.

If you are OP and think Steve Jobs is talentless and evil, I would suggest Windows. It goes well with your future cubicle life.

>Is this a joke? Apple's business model is literally the only thing it ever had going for it.
So you think being on the verge of bankruptcy for many years was a good thing. Are you still sitting there wishing Apple would fail and shut down, this long after changing things around and scrapping your favorite business model turned them into one of the most profitable companies in the world? Why do you like losing so much?

This is true. Windows 95, 98, and XP were all pretty cool and better than mac at the time in my opinion.

Once OSX came out and Windows turned to shit with Vista and so on, mac has been the better computer.