Does Jow Forums still use rss feeds?

Does Jow Forums still use rss feeds?
I do about 80% of my browsing through them these days. Feels good man

Attached: 2018-11-09-1541794998.png (583x271, 42K)

even wrote my own RSS reader, trashy but does everything I need

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-11-09 22-10-20.png (523x701, 92K)

based

I'm using newboat how do I get mpv to open youtube links ffs

rtfm

yes, have a bunch of them in my seamonkey on my laptop.

That shit was big in the 2000's

still perfectly usable today

I'm 30 and don't even know what rss is for.

I use Liferea because newsboat is too much autism is for me.

Yes, I parse several news sites without a feed, and read them in selfhosted FreshRSS

RSS was an extremely optimistic protocol used to bypass everything that makes the internet terrible (ads, javascript, analytics, 80% of most news sites) and allow you to download just the raw content into a reader/client.

A few things happened, namely twitter kinda replaced it for some people (but in a worse way) and scumfucks (advertisers, etc) hate it so they started only putting snippets of content in their RSS feed.

yeah but I don't have enough of them

>sissy chastity
what the fuck has this world come to

That does sound convenient. Shame how things ended up I guess.

You can however curl the website's html and parse it to RSS format yourself. Plenty of anons here do that

It sucks though for some paywalled sites, need to use selenium to get the source. Login with wget doesn't work.

>/v/
>Jow Forums
>/vr/

Attached: b49.png (1200x1200, 54K)

It still works (mostly), but there was a big push for it during initial Web 2.0 (literally Digg era) and podcasts (which use RSS) that died out. Consider trying it anyways.

How do I get started with RSS?

Attached: 1347259154278.jpg (450x360, 108K)

Feedly

Nah, I still on the Usenet

yep

don't watch what I've learned, that channel is riddled with misinterpretations of papers and blatant cherry picking

Check the newsboat article on arch wiki

I use it for notifications. Better than having to check sites manually, especially for college shit.

>RSS
Now that was an aggregator *sips*

Attached: 1530978999353.png (380x349, 70K)

can I get a QRD on doing this?

>victoria-salvatore
You're a man of taste I see

Attached: DrgyutLXQAECrG0.jpg large.jpg (1914x2048, 412K)

I'm a 25 year old zoomer and haven't used it although I always consider getting started

Find a RSS reader of your choice. Then start adding feeds. Sites used to openly advertise their RSS feed, but these days less and less sites surface it on your websites. Fortunately most CMS will generate RSS automatically, and RSS is useful for SEO so it's often included in the page source.

Search for application/rss+xml or application/atom+xml to find the link, eg.

Note: almost all RSS readers can read Atom fees, which are almost identical but Atom XML is technically a standards compliant format where RSS XML is not. Though Atom never really "replaced" RSS, and some sites pointlessly offer both.

Attached: 1534673134643.png (902x28, 10K)

Ty anons

I stopped when Google Reader shut down because it was a good client and I didn't find any free, self hosted, alternatives that were as good on the UX end.
I can't find a good screenshot with the layout I used. but it was nice with keyboard shortcuts.

Terrible backends with nice frontends, nice frontend with no self hosting, nice backend, limited frontent.
It all was bad then, maybe it's better now.

Forgot this. It was basically like this, but without all these artifacts. Not sure what that's about.

Attached: Google Reader (1).png (1278x739, 507K)

based

Can RSS be used to develop with APIs? I have limited experience with it, but it seems like an excellent way to receive raw, unformatted data from websites. I potentially have heaps of problems that can be fixed with RSS feeds

it is
I have a shitload of scripts that take urls from newsboat