Clang vs GCC

I had to compile a program written in C on a device using Clang instead of my usual GCC... Immediately it shot me a very specific warning about an array indexed off the end of an array which GCC, with all the same flags, seems to have missed.

Are warnings on Clang that much better, and if so, is GCC still relevant? What can it do that Clang does not?

Attached: gnu-llvm-768x406.png (768x406, 220K)

compare the logos and draw your own conclusions user

this is the fucking marketplace of logo ideas

>What can it do that Clang does not?
compile ada and fortr-

>Clang
>A fucking cool wyvern

>GCC
>A fucking EGG

Attached: 1534085216125.jpg (1400x814, 256K)

clang is dependent llvm which is larger than my music collection. i'll pass on this zoomer shit, thanks.

>Are warnings on Clang that much better
yes. gcc is trash. next question

Clang is where the developer energy is focussed right now, but since it's permissively licensed, anything generally useful in it will eventually make it into gcc also. Best bet is to download both and make sure your code works on both; msvc too if you're on windows.

llvm is a new generation of compilers
gcc is old trash

>Use Gentoo
>Compile everything with llvm except the few things that need GCC.
>Mfw

Attached: 1541637472602.png (348x355, 175K)

Why is GCC bull rubbing his hooves?

Visual Studio is better.

I use clang for the verbose warnings/errors too. I choose it over GCC for this reason.

You gotta lay off the Jow Forums friend.

|
|>
|

>Are warnings on Clang that much better

Yes

>and if so, is GCC still relevant?

It's bordering on being considered legacy software right now. The BSDs have already abandoned it.

>freebsd == the bsds
u wot?

Delete this, goy.

OpenBSD adopted it recently too. Not entirely sure about NetBSD though.

NetBSD will keep llvm and gcc due to the obscure platform support of the latter.

Oh shit.

its over

the GNU Compiler Collection

Attached: GNUshepherd.jpg (720x465, 110K)

musl + tcc

iv heard that Clang enables people to write meme languages much easier so maybe on that aspect its superior

clang has better compiler tooling in general. the problem though is you have nonfree clang, but not-clang xcode and a bunch of these other random compiler companies shitting out value-add nonfree toolchains with it.

MSVC warnings are better, but most of the shit you see in MSVC is already in experimental clang releases.

I can't believe I chuckled to this retarded shit

not only that but is magnitudes easier to target LLVM towards a new processor architecture/instruction set than it is with GCC