Ansible vs Chef vs Puppet vs Salt

What does Jow Forums use?

Attached: Feature-Image_06.png (815x476, 43K)

I used puppet a lot in the past, but I wouldn't recommend it these days, was doing small tests with salt before I quit my job, seemed a lot more comfy than ansible, even if ansible has more weight behind it. Have no opinion on Chef

Nothing. The cloud is a meme and a scam. Jow Forums can't relay but on the real iron, even if it is as little as a SBC.

Nigga these work with dedicated systems too but you'll need something like kickstart/preseed+PXE to automate the install

>implying you need more than one
>implying you would waste time on automation the day you need two

sccm

Some people have jobs which require you to use provisioning management of some kind

Also for personal use I'd rather spend 2 hours writing the config files, keep code in git. Then I can just edit the config file and my server will automatically set it up itself to the state I want it toand configure backups. I never need to worry about it. If my box goes bust, I just re-run my script on a new server and it'll do all operations automatically including pulling from backups

Salt seems to have a tough learning curve compared to Ansible, which any dummy can learn in a few days. Chef has a bit of a learning curve as well because it's Ruby but I like the extra features it has compared to Ansible

I've only used Ansible but I liked it for the most part. But with the move to containers I'm using it less than before. I'm moving to mostly using it for setting up Docker and other components on hosts to be used as Nodes in a Kubernetes cluster. I think containers are going to do away with a lot of the use cases for orchestration tools like Ansible or Puppet.

I just use shell scripts

What ever happened to Vagrant?

Either you're talking about Push or you're confused about the topic

People still use it, but LXC/LXD/containers are taking over

I just use Linux and backup a bunch of config files, Idk about this gay shit you guys use.

>LXC/LXD/containers

what are they? something like docker?

I use Chef, negro

I like Ansible because it's SSH under the hood and doesn't require an agent additional agent and centralized server. I use it to manage access keys, users, software updates, deploying custom software, moving binaries.

I use to fabric I looked into Ansible and it looks less flexible

>sccm
its a horrible product. what to troubleshoot an issue, enjoy going through 100 separate log files between the client and the server. what rapid status updates? too bad you get to wait many minutes before shit updates.

ansible for no good reason. its vsphere integration sucks. I had to enter some bug for some basic bitch functionality of being incapable of creating a VM from a template or something along those lines. pretty sure it still didnt get fixed.

How do you ensure routines complete correctly? How do you ensure idempotency?

Ansible was buggy as fuck few years back, the improvements have been very visible

Configuration management is deprecated, you should be running Docker in Kubernetes so you can dynamically scale across orders of magnitude.

Ansible especially scales very poorly.

>Ansible scales poorly
yes, but do we really need the orders of magnitude more complexity that is Kubernetes?
(of course, use different tools at different levels of inherent complexity)

Anybody have any experience with CFEngine?

>kubernetes
Maybe if you're managing 100+ systems, sure, but it's overkill when you're managing tens of systems (which a lot of small-to-medium size companies do).

Basically this. Chef already died off in big tech. Orgs that weren't using it yet will likely skip it anyways. Containerization gives you better fine-grained control of runtime and beyond. Jow Forums trying to be technical is like a meme at this point.

Basically this.
Use minimal configuration management just to set up docker/lxc whatever.
Use Docker Swarm (smaller/medium scale) or Kubernetes (large scale) to orchestrate the rest.

Terraform for infra, Ansible for provisioning, Docker Swarm for the rest are what I use

all these shit are deprecated unless you're boomer or working in 3rd world shithole

>The cloud is a meme and a scam
that's why you will never have a job even as an IT assistant

You dont understand these technologies. Read up a bit more.

swarm is trash, you should into kubernetes

swarm is worse than trash, but it's the only solution for single machine deployments

>my pointless reply

Briefly many many years ago, we created floppies to bring up pre-configured linux machines. It worked and it didn't take that long to get going.

True. I've seen big companies trying to kill Chef and replace it with Ansible+K8s

I hate the idea of Docker, although continue to use it for job requirements. It's terrible from a sysadmin pov. LXD is a far better idea, hopefully they have config management like Docker soon.

>Chit
>jewpuppet
>ASSible
>saltystack

no way fag, I use real technology

This.
Docker is an amazing technology, but as for Kubernetes, it's overkill if you're not operating at Google scale, or at least something with a lot of hosts.
You'll always only need docker-compose or swarm, few commands, and you're done with it.

But just let the normies fall for the latest valley meme, as always.

Attached: 013fbb8a190ad8c4685bfce452c0f26c.jpg (703x1000, 170K)

Whats the difference between "the cloud" and a server?

We use Salt at work.
It's all right when you get it to work, but there's a learning curve to it and certain parts look like they were an after-thought put together on a Friday afternoon and duct-taped to the core in a weird angle.

"the cloud" is a VM somewhere off far away from you, where you have never been and have no idea who controls it. Probably on AWS, google compute instance, digitalocean etc. Rented by the hour/month.

A server is usually a computer you have full control over and you at least have some idea of the staff that works with it.

>have ansible at work setup
>tell me boss about it and how we should use it
>he tells me that's a dumb idea and he only trusts humans to touch the servers

How do you deal with people who are scared of automation?

Attached: 1529978869214.jpg (821x869, 98K)

don't, just use it if you can cowboy it at your business and spend the free time doing whatever else you want to do fren

I work as an intern making Terraform scripts for AWS, but the main staff also uses Chef/Ansible/Puppet. Which one is the easiest to learn for a developer with no sysadmin skills?

Attached: 1536878928269.png (925x603, 480K)

Ansible by a mile. But I come from a sysadmin background. Chef is great if you already know Ruby

So literally the exact same thing then. Just a new word hipsters made up to feel special

lads is there any orchestration dev portal where devs can chat?

Slack+Jenkins integration my man

I use ansible from time to time. It is really nice in combination with liquibase and some oracle python scripts for the stuff I needs to do.