Does this count as programming?

Attached: EB44B232-44C5-41CB-974D-E3F4A24D7459.png (256x256, 43K)

Other urls found in this thread:

matlabmadness.ytmnd.com
koenstares.ytmnd.com
koentmndstole.ytmnd.com
koen.ytmnd.com
mcflystolematlab.ytmnd.com
koenguaranteed.ytmnd.com
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

This question but for R.

No, MATLAB counts as science

Why?

What’s R?

Kinda, depends if your shit is just read data and run a package or you are building some sort of pipeline.
R fucking sucks

Language mainly meant for statistical analysis

Pipeline with package driven analysis at the end.

If matlab counts then so does excel

It scripts on top of a java core so I think it actually qualifies as scripting. It also has many features not related to pure numerical computation and simulation.

It ain't software engineering, but yeah it's programming. I'd definitely recommend switching to python if you have any interest in the job market. Worst thing you can do is have a pandas based data pipeline in python and just R just for the final analysis with which ever R package you're interested in - at least that's what I do

Just use Octave or Fortran if your a real g

Why is that the worst thing? It seems like it could work pretty well desu.
Python is a nice language with a lot of good packages, I will admit that. But doing data analysis or plotting with it fucking sucks compared to R with data.table and ggplot. Whenever I look at Python's visualization libraries I'm amazed with the BS that python devs put up with

>But doing data analysis or plotting with it fucking sucks compared to R with data.table and ggplot.

fucking this.

I've dabbled with Python since one of the guys on our team uses it (SAS, R, & Python are all represented on the team because lol data science!1!), but I find the tidyverse libraries to be better than Pandas when it comes to data manipulation. Though I come from an Applied Stats background rather than Comp Sci so that probably has something to do with that.

Yup, but more programming than coding.
As it is very simple, there is no complex code, you just need to have a programmer mindset.

because its a language designed for linear algebra, which is needed heavily in many sciences. It's a great language but usually just for small but expressive matrix tasks

FWIW I come from a CS background and I feel that same way so I don't think that's it.
I think the people excited about stuff like Pandas are coming from languages like C++ and Java that, let's face it, absolutely suck for these sorts of things. They find things like Pandas and Jupyter and it's like manna from heaven for them.

I think RStudio etc. is better for data work but most Python devs probably have barely heard of it. And they are probably there because they only want to learn a single language, which makes Python a tempting choice. Its selling point is "at least mediocre at nearly everything"

its a language designed for large homogenous data sets.

Of course it does. I use it at work for prototyping and implement in C++ later. Only difference is that programming in C++ is boring and a headache.

Yes

Attached: p1111.jpg (200x252, 6K)

mfw 98% of this board is too new to know this meme

can you believe it...

what's this meme? i joined after Trump on the election, but I get 90% of the memes here. I'm actually looking it up on knowyourmeme and i can't find anything

idk does writing neuroevolved networks for visual pattern recognition count as programming?

>R fucking sucks
t. never used R

DUDE
EVERYTHING IS A MATRIX
LMAO

oooh, sweet I got dubs dude!

SPSS is miles better. R is a piece of shit

>SPSS
pretty sure lavaan + psych packages cover more than all of SPSS at this point

Could be so, but I just fucking hate R so much. Used to use it years ago, and it drove me insane.

Man, I enjoy matlab so much more than numpy cluster fuckery.
matlab's documentation is arguably better than some texbooks / lecture notes for learning stuff.
Too bad it's proprietary tho.

feels bad to be you, I can't even imagine how limiting it must be to still be using SPSS

Let me guess, you tried to use it as a programming language. Don't do that. Just pipe data around and feed it to packages that do exactly what you want. If you are writing any control flow (ifs, loops, whatever) you're using it wrong.

R as a language = fucking terrible
R for using libraries = god tier

i reverse searched and it said Dr. Billy and some shit about students not finishing matlab

yea it's a functional language.. derp

What’s the difference between programming and coding?

I agree, Tidyverse beats the shit out of Pandas and related libraries it's not even funny. I come from a math background too but I've noticed CS people usually prefer Python to R.
R itself, I am not sure why it gets so much hate, since it is basically infix Common Lisp albeit with a simpler object model, and idiomatic R is much more functional than Python.

Every company seems to have their own definitions for what programming, coding, and developing means.

2005-2008 says hi

matlabmadness.ytmnd.com
koenstares.ytmnd.com
koentmndstole.ytmnd.com
koen.ytmnd.com
mcflystolematlab.ytmnd.com
koenguaranteed.ytmnd.com

Attached: Koen.jpg (420x300, 10K)