Microsoft’s October Update Failure is Holding the Whole PC Industry Back

howtogeek.com/fyi/microsoft’s-october-update-failure-is-holding-the-whole-pc-industry-back/

This is ludicrous. Their incompetence is no longer only affecting their own products and customers, it's now the whole damn industry. How did this happen?

Attached: chrome_2018-11-10_12-02-46.png (1034x553, 382K)

Other urls found in this thread:

howtogeek.com/fyi/millions-of-pcs-running-windows-10s-october-update-havent-received-critical-fixes/
ict-r.com/windows-10-1809-performance-impact/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Linux doesn't have this problem

Attached: kisspng-emoji-smirk-face-emoticon-smiley-emoji-5abb341f59ea88.4793914815222180153683.jpg (900x900, 54K)

Linux is a kernel

So?

windows transform to "just run" os.

>not intel and AMD hold the industry back for like 8 years
Even fucking mobile CPU now claim they can beat PC

the os is called gnu, so
GNU doesn't have this problem

My dad is a boomer making like $120k/year as a "computer systems analyst", he doesn't have a degree, got the job because he was working IT at a different company like 20 years ago and his friend gave it to him at this new place, and uses windows 10 on a storebought bestbuy pc that is slower than shit. I'm not calling him or people like him stupid or naive, quite the contrary, they made it, but there is a large, very large segment of the userbase of windows that don't give a shit that thier OS is garbage, they don't know anything else an refuse to believe there is something else.

Wasn't the April update delivered in late May too?

Sorry, I prefer KDE.

>Holding the Whole PC Industry Back
Whoever made up this bullshit should be shot.

It is true. I refuse to build a new rig until this cancer that is W10 is gone. Will stick to my old machine as long as it isn't at a massive disadvantage compared to new processors (and that is unlikely to change soon).
The moar cores wave is just snakeoil, as single-threaded performace is as of today the most important aspect (moreso when every desktop app is actually an electron web app in disguise)

>wintel will die in your lifetime
i'm pleased

same here

Yeah, by about a month. And the shit got sorted out.

This is now almost two months late and they can't get their shit together. Another day, another showstopping bug.

>The moar cores wave is just snakeoil, as single-threaded performace is as of today the most important aspect (moreso when every desktop app is actually an electron web app in disguise)

Is that true? I can't decide between a T420 (i7-2640M) and a W520 (i7-2820QM) but their single-core performance is similar if not better for the i7-2640M.

>The moar cores wave is just snakeoil
Not on a decent operating system, AKA not Windows.

>Hiring pajeets as your entire workforce

Shit goes in, shit comes out.

>You will see the rise of macOS/Linux desktops in your lifetime.
Amazing.

If you aren't a multitasking fag, you are OK with 4 cores. Most videogames and web-based apps will just make heavy use of one (vidoegames because the parallel work is of graphic nature and it is done by the GPU; and web apps because JavaScript is single-threaded, and same goes for node, electron, and Cordova in mobile devices).

It's a plot to get people buying Microsoft Ubuntu in 2022.

Then they will also ruin Ubuntu.

>updating windows 10
>using windows 10 over 7
Why would anyone do this?

Attached: sticky.jpg (150x150, 26K)

I'm on October update and have not had a single issue

Same thing with every single major release, I never have problems with them

Weird

This is funny but at the same time scary.

Want a cookie?

>windows transform to JUST™ OS
ftfy

Attached: Reaction_faces_1164.jpg (380x400, 15K)

it's pretty dope though

Attached: Untitled.png (4240x1440, 2.09M)

i was able to get ryzen 7 1700x working with windows 7, so there's that

What about this image can't be done in the less-buggy windows 7?

well it will soon with the addition of the code of conduct

MS, Intel and AMD together are holding back the whole fucking industry. I planned on upgrading to a new board and CPU - but somehow Intel and AMD are ok with not supporting their newest CPU generations on Win7, still the most used OS. So fuck them.

>Task manager is still fucked and not showing program percentages a month later

Lesson learned I guess.

Attached: it just werks.png (207x551, 11K)

lmao could Microshit fuck up any harder
2019 is the year of the Loonix desktop. Screengrab this.

Imagine if people started using it though.

night light, for one - without having to install some shitty program from a derelict website

>still using 10
You didn't learn shit.

>Imagine having competing OSs so bad that it does not matter to M$

I actually like OSX but it's so limited in market share that it's not really a feasible option. Apple fucked up by not allowing other manufacturers to use their OS.
Loonix is just awful.

howtogeek.com/fyi/millions-of-pcs-running-windows-10s-october-update-havent-received-critical-fixes/

>mfw I haven't had a single problem using win 10 since mid 2015

Attached: 1470614077091.jpg (723x758, 65K)

But your pic has the percentages.

On a related note: the little arrows that collapse applications are constantly blinking in my task manager.

The problem isn't that they aren't showing, it's that they're completely off. This has only been fixed in insider builds.

What? It doesn't work out of the box? Why?

wow, really? Like, an app might be using 80% but it shows 20% and stuff like that?

Yup.

Just pirate a windows 7 retard

>Whole PC Industry
>Embedded manufacturers
Nice clickbait

OSX is binded to Apple hardware unless we are talking hackintosh, which may or may not work, depending on your HW. So yeah, its just bad.
Linux is fine if all you do is normie activities. I wish someone like Red Hat did a good Linux desktop OS. Maybe their newer shit (Silverblue) in a few years, looks like a good desktop solution - hard to break, support from a corporation, etc. With IBM money they might even try to convince hardware manufacturers to support linux more for things like audio interfaces, etc.

meant for

I actually own a legal non-OEM copy, but don't want to deactivate it in the old rig
I'll rather wait for the next windows.

>Is that true?
No.

I've been using LTSC for a while. I'm feeling fucking dirty in here but honestly I haven't had any issues so far.

> shitty program
> derelict website

Are you retarded?

My Windows 10 experience is basically the same as . Not a single problem ever. No BSOD, not driver or update annoyance. Just removed all the bloatware everytime you install it and you're fine.

>Just removed all the bloatware everytime you install it and you're fine.

Eh, i forced the 1809 update purely because I had free time and didnt want to update later. DESU enterprise/LTSC can make win10 function pretty similar to 7. Gaming performance is a even a little bit better.

Just run Linux.
And stick with a well supported distro like Ubuntu/Kubuntu, or Debian.

You'll be waiting forever. Microsoft will never go "backward". Everything you hate about W10 will be in the next OS they do. Things only get worse, never better. We're fools to believe otherwise.

I bet leather jacket man is positively seething! No raytracing until the update for gaymen on their shiny new RTX cards lol.

ict-r.com/windows-10-1809-performance-impact/

>Microsoft is Holding the Whole PC Industry Back
this has been true since they became dominant OS manufacturer, they basically locked the whole PC ecosystem to x86 by refusing to support any other CPU technology

Windows 10 will be the last microsoft os. They’ve already confirmed this many times.

After this 1809 update, I'm considering moving back to Windows 8.1 again. Damn, this fucking buggy piece of hell OS.

(An operating system) != (a distribution). Linux is an operating system. By my definition, an operating system is that software which provides and limits access to hardware resources on a computer. That definition applies whereever you see Linux in use. However, Linux is usually distributed with a collection of utilities and applications to make it easily configurable as a desktop system, a server, a development box, or a graphics workstation, or whatever the user needs. In such a configuration, we have a Linux (based) distribution. Therein lies your strongest argument for the unwieldy title 'GNU/Linux' (when said bundled software is largely from the FSF). Go bug the distribution makers on that one. Take your beef to Red Hat, Mandrake, and Slackware. At least there you have an argument. Linux alone is an operating system that can be used in various applications without any GNU software whatsoever. Embedded applications come to mind as an obvious example.

What's taking them so long to push out a fix for consumers? It seems like something that should take a day to fix but here we are 30+ days later.

>I'll rather wait for the next windows.
Bad news user, there won't be a next windows for a very long time.

>'Where is my fucking raytracing update MS!'

Attached: angry leather jacket man.jpg (324x354, 15K)

Does Apple have this problem?

cringe

This is why I still use Windows XP

Windows is useful if your time has no value.

Why isn't there an alternative to Windows yet?
And I don't mean "another OS".

Yeah but linux has that whole tranny problem now.

Attached: Blade-Runner-2049-Jared-Leto-as-Neander-Wallace.jpg (1600x800, 58K)

This is the real story. Nvidia have sold people ray tracing that doesn't work and they're trying to blame it on MS

>Linux is a kernel
yes, it is a kernel which, in fact
>doesn't have this problem

so what was your point?

Except for the windows activation error which is the newest issue at hand

But I have 1809 and no deleted files : )

Windows 7 master race reporting. What is the issue here?

What do you do that single threaded performance is so important? For me the list of single threaded tasks grows shorter every year.

this :^)

>this cancer that is W10 is gone.
Next we'll get wcos and it'll be even worse.

By rig do you mean a new computer for browsing websites like reddit? I'm sure your current 'rig' will bring back there why don't you try?

Attached: 1529306563199.jpg (968x928, 84K)

>How did this happen?
cuz of pajeets

Attached: 1481456769834[1].jpg (640x800, 190K)

>muh single thread
Are you some 90s pajeet who still uses BASIC? Time to get with the 2000s and read up on multi-threading

I am so scared right now.

yea because the kernel isn't used to boot or keep track of the file system

I got the October update, jealous Jow Forums?

No.