Crashes Wine on Linux

>crashes Wine on Linux

Attached: 6JXQWRM.jpg (640x480, 66K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0v_Tl1q2VDk
github.com/saveriomiroddi/vga-passthrough/blob/master/2_A_WORD_OF_CAUTION.md
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Wine is and always has and always will be a giant fucking faggot failure. Use a VM with real Windows in it. If you need something that requires a GPU dual boot.

Haha, kys

>700 dollar CPU
>900 dollar GPU
>200 dollar Mobo
>400 dollars in RAM
>600 dollars in audiophile bullshit
>plays an isometric dungeon crawler from a small indie company circa 1996
You could go find a laptop in a pawnshop or thrift store that can run that game flawlessly.

>he's too dumb to configure wine
>he's too stupid to know how to gpu passthru

>a...dungeon crawler
You mean THE dungeon crawler.

>700 dollar CPU
>900 dollar GPU
Are you running a fucking cryptomining PC? A CPU is at most 300USD, just like a GPU.

PCI passthrough is a colossal waste of time and money. You have to buy a separate GPU, a separate monitor, a separate keyboard, a separate mouse, and a separate sound card just to have everything work nice -- and at that point you've basically bought a second fucking computer. Dual booting is better than PCI passthrough in every way shape and form.

>Use a VM with real Windows in it
I too enjoy playing at 10FPS and unresponsive input

This, pci pass through is nothing more than a neckbeard parlor trick.The illusion falls apart quickly,though.

wrong @ all of that
also you probably can't even get that shit installed on w10

>Wine is and always has and always will be a giant fucking faggot failure.
Fucking steam is using it now.

>wrong @ all of that
You literally do not know what PCI passthrough is if you think it works without separate dedicated hardware.

you literally do not know anything if you think you need multiple hardware of literally everything in order to run it.

What are Looking glass and synergy

>separate GPU
just buy something cheap, it's not like it has to be powerful to show a fucking wm
>separate monitor
pretty sure looking glass fixes that
>separate keyboard / mouse
nope
>separate sound card
double nope

OP here actually I'm trying to play it on an older PC with a 4:3 LCD monitor and I have Mint installed on there but I can't even get to installer because Wine keeps crashing even if I run it through playonlinux. Guess I'll just install Windows XP on a separate drive or something

Diablo II is better in every way.

Less atmosphere and claustrophobia, plus I actually think D1 has better graphics. Feels less gritty and more defined than D2.

Latency.

>GPU passthrough
It's a meme. Getting it working in the first place can be a fucking pain in the ass, and even then performance and stability are far from guaranteed.

haha, kill yourself, my man

>less atmosphere and claustrophobia
Wrong. Have you even played D2?
>D1 has better graphics
Don't play 800x600 resolution.
>Feels less gritty and more defined than D2
I don't think so, D2 is definitely more polished. I'm talking about D2:LoD when I say D2.

I played Diablo as a kid and it was great fun. But when D2 came out it was a huge improvement.

no, use a vm in windows with linux in it. linux belongs on a headless machine, you retarded twat, not on a desktop

I wanted to give d1 a chance but damn the character moves so fucking slowly.

single gpu pass-through is easy if you have two different gpu. I.E Intel integrated and AMD.

Blacklist the AMD driver, load a dummy driver (pci-stub) and add the card it to the VM. That's really it.

nvidia intentionally crashing their driver is annoying though.

lol no, certain features on a virtual machine wont work you dumb fuck
what are you going to propose next launching a virtual machine inside a virtual machine?

imagine having such shit taste and wanting to play the OG Israeli game

Games are for children.

Attached: 13_de554fd7cfd3e055023b28e2ed76fd26.jpg (2160x1440, 400K)

This thread is about diablo 2.
ADOM runs fine on loonix

Attached: chewgum.png (192x228, 59K)

Thanks for backing up my point.

*posts cartoon girls*

Attached: FOX AND THE GRAPES.png (464x430, 90K)

What point?

the superior version of Diablo is the playstation1 version any way. play it on a PSP or some PS1 emulator that im sure Linux has.

Why does every gamer use this argument? Just because anime exists doesn't mean your toys are any less childish.

k

youtube.com/watch?v=0v_Tl1q2VDk

The one I previously posited.

Linux is a kernel.

Which is?

That games are for children. Learn to read, kid.

you can make the vm not know it's a vm now and nvidia stops raping itself.

If you guys really need a certain OS to use certain programs, the obviously use the fucking OS instead of doing time-wasting workarounds.

Wow that was awfully boring

>not playing the original
Cringe and cringepilled

8===D ~~~~

>games are for children
Are you sure about that

Attached: landscape-gaming-resident-evil2-3.jpg (480x240, 15K)

Such as what?
gpu passthrough uses a vm for the guest os
lrn2gpu passthrough, I run that setup and get full performance on everything. It's a bit of a pain to setup but after that it's smooth sailing.

Yes.

>PCI passthrough is a colossal waste of time and money
get off this fucking board, you are too much of a retard to be here.
I'm running a perfectly functional PCI passthrough setup and the only thing that I needed to buy was a 100€ GPU to keep the linux host running (you need to do this only if you don't have an igpu eg. ryzen, on intel cpus this isn't even a problem). No extra monitor, no extra mouse/kb, no extra soundcard. NOTHING.
And before you say it, no, I'm not using niggershit like synergy/looking glass and I have 0 input lag.
>You literally do not know what PCI passthrough is if you think it works without separate dedicated hardware.
You literally have no idea what you are talking about.
>xd le neckbeard

Attached: 1541659679141.jpg (750x750, 61K)

To get 0 input lag you have to remember to add proper input emulators on top of enabling evdev passthrough; just evdev passthrough will be super laggy and buggy. But with the proper emulator, it will be painless no matter the load on the guest.
Without an extra screen, it's a pain in the ass to swap display input all the time (and perhaps even sound), but $10 worth of multiplexers fixes this easily, and it's not needed at all in the first place.
The biggest problem is simply that non of the online instructions are correct (full of misinfo all over the place).
Also getting networking passthrough to work is a pain. I had to use a bridge with a tuntap device and reset dhcpcd every so often, none of the other proposed solutions worked for me (either no internet on host or on guest).

>Lying on the internet
github.com/saveriomiroddi/vga-passthrough/blob/master/2_A_WORD_OF_CAUTION.md

Why not just dual boot? Why would you gimp your preformace in a VM?

The overhead is 1-3% and you don't have to stop your work and deal with all the crap that comes with dual booting.

Yeah, Mint comes a lot of outdated packages. Grab the latest version of Wine from the official PPA.

>I'm too retarded to set it up right therefore it doesn't work
ebin

I'm not being an asshole, just genuinely curious over the problems of dual booting. Ive heard Windows updates break the boot loader but if I was doing LTSB+Linux mint would that be an issue?

The overhead of using Windows natively is 0%, and if you do all your work on Windows then you don't have to stop either. If you believe that jumping through hoops to do something the hard way and slightly less efficiently anyway makes you smart, you need to grow up already. Linux has very very little to offer to the consumer market.

>Hurrr, running two operating systems at once is so much more practical.Hurrr, gotta game while I'm compiling in Gentoo.

It's not just about the possibility of windows killing your boot loader, but also issues with the various states of the os's. For example, if you trust windows to shut down when you tell it to shut down (when actually it hibernates), it can break a boot into linux. Some software works better on one OS than the other (for example, there are no good video players on windows at all, mpc-hc is a joke and vlc is an even poorer joke. mpv is great but works like shit on windows, etc.). With gpu passthrough, you can (conceptually) alt-tab to your video player and then go back to your games. You can also pause the video an hour in, respond to someone ingame, and go back to it.
If you want to try out another distro or want to reinstall/replace your os, you have to be much less careful in that setup as well. Other advantages include being able to leverage the emulated disk to get snapshots and restores for free. Your win10 vm updated and it's deleting your files now? Just delete the latest drive snapshot update and you're good to go.

But most of all is really the fact you don't need to shut down everything you're doing when going between OSs, since you can have both of them permanently side-by-side.

DXVK and now proton are very good however.

Yum yum microshill tears!

By 'Linux', do you actually mean the modified version of the GNU operating system that runs the Linux kernel?

Wake me up when SR-IOV is on consumer hardware.
I like having the Linux host with a decently powerful GPU.

Is there any way to have your main GPU switch between host and client so that the host OS isn't crippled to shit?

>just evdev passthrough will be super laggy and buggy
I'm using just evdev passthrough and it works fine, but you need to properly pin your cores and you need to use iothreads.
>swap display input all the time
If your monitor supports DDC (it probably does if it isn't shit) you can switch automatically with ddcutil.
>perhaps even sound
I'm using a usb DAC (I didn't buy it on purpose, I already needed it for my headphones) and I just pass that to the VM on boot.
>getting networking passthrough to work is a pain
If you know your way around iptables this isn't too hard. Just read the libvirt docs.
>non of the online instructions are correct (full of misinfo all over the place)
This I can agree with, most of the "guides" are made by gaymer toddlers that have no clue about what they are doing (just like the people in this thread).

this.
>Linux has very very little to offer to the consumer market.
5 rupees have been deposited to your account.
>I'm too stupid to do something so I will insult people that are able to do so. HAH! THAT'LL SHOW EM
kill yourself.

Attached: 1511811599785.jpg (1391x1109, 665K)

Fuck Linux
Fuck Lincucks

>OS is subpar at something
>Freetard turns to rationalization
Like pottery

Divine Divinity begs to differ.

use lutris
it's like fucking magic.

> caring about other people's interests that you don't care for
>making the effort at low-bait trolling
> thinking that you are better then "them"
> being this bitter and anally devastated.

Attached: _1889788_laugh300b.jpg (300x180, 15K)

This is, sadly, true. I pass my only GPU to my Windows VM and access the KVM host exclusively through SSH. Linux on the desktop has always been a meme. I use macOS on muh lapterp.

it works with specific hardware. you could buy a second GPU if you want to, but you don't even need it, and it makes things easier. an old nvidia one will do it, and you can find them for $10.

No, you're just retarded.

>I'm too stupid to do something so I will insult people that are able to do so. HAH! THAT'LL SHOW EM
And you're apparently too stupid to learn how to dual boot. Or are you one of these clowns who thinks doing things the hard way makes you appear smarter? PCI passthrough makes no sense.

2 ssds, one with win one with linux, and a terabyte hdd for your files is the comfy way
Passthrough is interesting for the ability to have FDE and still run windows only pgpu programs from autodesk. Gamers dont have that much to gain from it though.
>integrated intel graphics
isnt this a bit bullshit? your only doing passthrough because you use primarily linux, so forcing integrated on linux would ruin performance in linux apps and wine and video playback. Just be honest and say its expensive to buy two powerful GPUs I hate how linux evangelists always make it sound easier than it actually is to switch

>comparing playing with toys to genuine interests
Yikes.

I used to dual boot before, dipshit. If you think that stopping everything that you are doing when you want to open a game is in any way efficient then you need to be gassed.
>just use windows for everything, goy!
poo in the loo.

>Implying you're not using Windows when you use pci pass through.

Say that shit to my face not online and see what happens

Sure as fuck I'm using it, what part of "for everything" don't you understand, retard?
I'm ok with using windows just to run my stupid fucking games, but I'm not ok with using it for everything that I do on my computer daily.
You probably don't even care about this since you just love to take the botnet cock so far up your ass so this isn't even a problem for you, but then again: you don't belong on this board.
Here's a place you might like better:

why use Windows in 2019? many games work in Linux already. sure, not all of them, and not all of the ones that work, work well, but still, better than using windows and getting your PC bricked, your OS locked, your programs not working, or your Windows license key revoked by bugs in the OS itself?

>many games work in Linux already
How many AAA titles come on Linux?
5%?

Cuck.

>what is wine
>what is vulkan
>what is dxvk
>what is proton on steam

for boomers maybe, the new kid on the block is Original Sin 2. It's a literal pen and paper RPG made videogame.

You know you're hilarious? Like a clown! Did microsoft open a circus division or something?

>not emulating the superior PS1 version

>Using side programs to have lower performance
>Vulkan which isnt used by most games
Wild lincuck fanatic appears

>How many AAA titles come on Linux?
The only games in my library that still don't work are BattlEye anti-cheat games (Fortnite, Planetside 2, Arma 3 multiplayer, etc.) and Skyrim, which is an AMD specific performance problem I believe. DXVK has resulted in incredible leaps in AAA compatibility just in the last 12 months or so.

>>Using side programs to have lower performance
How well they run is largely a separate discussion from whether or not they run.
>>Vulkan which isnt used by most games
Also they don't need to use Vulkan, if they use DX11 DXVK translates it to Vulkan and there are DX* -> Vulkan compatibility layers in development for the rest as well.

Why is it better?

Ok my little lincuck fanatic linux is the best

Get PCEM and install windows 98 on it.
If your CPU is any decent, you can even emulate a glorious 3Dfx videocard, and a not so glorious at all S3 Virge video adapter.

Just wait for the mobile version.

Coop multiplayer and some improved graphic effects.

y u mad bro?

>Fucking steam is using it now.
I switched to RedHat back when Windows 98 was popular and never looked back. I've taken a look at WINE over the years and it's basically been problematic to test if some Windows program works (use winetricks to install whatever dlls) and it wouldn't.

Wine's really improved a lot the last few years. Some of the more recent improvements are thanks to Steam. They've really contributed a lot lately. At this rate of progress it won't be long until just about everything will run fine in WINE.

installing Windows on a separate partition is probably the simplest solution if there's a few older games you really want to play. They could run better in a newer version of WINE.. but a game made for Windows XP will probably run better in Windows XP.

>Blacklist the AMD driver, load a dummy driver (pci-stub) and add the card it to the VM.
I never played with passthrough because reading stuff like that makes it seem dumb. You're saying I can have a decent GPU in Windows but not in Linux or I have to have two full-featured GPUs. And what, toggle the displays between them? Buying another computer or an Xbox seems preferable.

Computer version had co-op multiplayer.

It's not the best, that's still Windows unfortunately. It's just total nonsense to pretend it still doesn't play AAA games.

retard