PowerPC

What is the best PowerPC G3-G4 machine?

Attached: Ibook12.jpg (878x916, 481K)

The ones that are still around today that work will usually be in good condition and without any factory defects, since they've lasted this long. The G4 desktops and laptops are fine. G5 desktops are alright too.

I got a 12" G4 1.5ghz recently. It's a bit slow and clunky, but I was surprised at how smooth it ran.

Attached: 1522822417167.png (400x1650, 367K)

>hating old apple

>I'm born in 2001 and what is this: The Post

A G3 or G4-upgraded Power Macintosh 9600.

Attached: Power_Macintosh_9600_350.jpg (980x1492, 684K)

This is Jow Forums so obviously the Thinkpad 850

Attached: ThinkPad_850.png (1350x1140, 1.6M)

Luckily you don't run Jow Forums...but you CAN go away.

Attached: 1539098450988.jpg (900x680, 128K)

>PowerPC G3-G4 aka 750 and 74xx
>Posts a 603e machine

the wii

The 15” G4’s are the easiest to service. t. Owner of 4 15” PowerBook G4’s, and 2 12” PowerBook G4’s.

I’m implying that you’d be best off buying something that isn’t a pain to troubleshoot, considering that they’re old, and likely to have a component fail at some point. If you ever had the displeasure of servicing a 12” machine, be prepared to sort through 40 different unique screws.

12" Powerbook G4. The keyboard in particular is great.

The 12” G4’s are nice, until they need to be worked on. They do have best keyboards I’ve ever typed on, though.

>Best
In what way.

I suppose the top end Powerbook G4.

I've got a G4 17", but recently I ended up with a iMac G3 Snow.

Mac OS9 is comfy as fuck, listening to music on winamp and playing around with abandonware/games.

the xbox360

Retarded posts like this are why ThinkPad faggots are sheep.

I like using OS 9 for unitasking use cases but once you actually try to use it it really shows off its flaws. OS X 10.1/10.2+OS 9 dual boot systems are by far my favorite for that reason.

I picked up a 12'' 1.5 a while back that needs a new bottom case to replace the warped as fuck factory one and it looks like AIDS.

I think I'm just going to unironically pick up a new one.

t. iPajeet

I would love to this design come back.

>as a windows machine though

The 1.5 GHz 12" G4's can be kinda pricey on eBay, at least nice ones tend to be. You can probably buy one that is in fair condition for around $50-60.

Firstly, learn to quote. Secondly, fuck Windows. It is the worst OS.

I think I know the ones you're talking about. I'm still kind of on the fence about going that deep when I've already got a 1.33 GHz iBook though.

I'm actually kind of more interested in picking up a good TiBook right now, too. I like early OS X and that era of PPC systems in general.

What's the best "pre-Jobs return" machine?

Quad-233 Daystar Genesis MP

The Tibooks are cool, but the pain on the titanium tends to chip, and when it inevitably does, it looks rather hideous.

The G3 Powerbooks were pretty good too. Huge displays, really nice black casings with thick rubberized metal center sections (not that cheap melty crap either), great battery life, pretty good graphics performance for the day, replaceable optical drive in a superbay, and super easy maintenance -- the keyboard has two hidden tabs in the spaces between the function keys that can be unlocked with a flathead screwdriver and pulled down to lift off the keyboard and expose the hard drive, modem, CPU, and RAM, pretty much every single user-serviceable component. The RAM and CPU are on a single removable card and there were some serious upgrades you could drop in back in the day like a 1GHz PPC 750GX, though good luck finding one of those now.
Really great machines for getting comfy with OS9 and playing Marathon.

Attached: 2012-12-20-pismo.jpg (800x583, 90K)

That sucks. I grabbed a messed up 500 hoping it just needed a PRAM zap and it seemed like it would have been a really nice system for some general non-internet use.
I've got a Lombard 333 that I really enjoyed using until I caught a huge crack on the corner that stares into my soul every time I look at it, I'd really like a 400 or a Wallstreet 300 for use as a bridge box eventually. Great systems for OS 8.6/9.

I had a Wallstreet in high school. Got it from the local college surplus lot. That thing was an absolute brick. Built like an inside-out Model M. I heard some folks take the rubber off the panels, so I tried it on mine and it didn't go so well, so I ended up buying a Lombard to replace it and just by chance later on someone sold me a Pismo for some insanely low price because it had no power supply.

/thread

The serial ports are nice for PhoneNET transfers, too bad you have to decide between those and USB going between Wallstreet and Lombard, at least the latter retains the SCSI interface.

FTFY

Attached: wangblows.jpg (355x1280, 48K)

MACTODDLERS BTFO

Attached: 1515484509831.jpg (536x536, 25K)

Since the thread has popped up, what would Jow Forums think of a linux distro that boots seamlessly into OS 9.2.2, with automatic maintenance of the underlying linux host and a set of management utilities that make it possible to use OS 9 without ever having to enter the linux side of things?

Why would I want this when I can just run a VM myself?

You mean an OpenBSD or a Haiku machine.

Mostly for nostalgia, and modern clones. Convenience too as the helper tools make it much easier than compiling and setting up everything yourself.

But it isn't hard or time consuming to set up an OS 9 vm.

>the keyboard has two hidden tabs in the spaces between the function keys that can be unlocked with a flathead screwdriver and pulled down to lift off the keyboard and expose the hard drive, modem, CPU, and RAM, pretty much every single user-serviceable component
Nice.

Not for you or me, but for others yes. Most people don't even know what a compiler is.

It would probably be more useful as an application similar to those DOSBox managers. If it were a separate OS managing backups and interacting with the underlying hardware would be too annoying and worst for a nontechnical person.

s/worst/worse/

Fair enough. It wouldn't be a waste for such a thing either given the extreme code rot SheepShaver is suffering.

The whole thing is kind of a hacky mess atm but I hope to turn it into something worth using.

I imagine a lot of people would just end up emulating the distro instead of OS 9 directly. The thought of Qemu_x86 running linux running Qemu_ppc is kind of vomit including lol.

*inducing

I don't really see the point of that implementation, but a minimal Linux/BSD system booting a virtualized copy of OS 9 loaded with driver software allowing for seamless passthrough and running of newer applications on the host operating system could be very useful, if difficult to implement and possibly a little resource heavy.

A sort of MachTen++ but providing a 100% real Unix-like environment.

>it's a mactoddler subhuman thinks his faggot fruit toys belong on Jow Forums episode

Attached: 1513465011391.jpg (508x520, 56K)

This, I'd like to see Sheepshaver and Basilisk II integrated into a UI similar to how Classic is in Mac OS X ≥10.4
>running Linux
>execute Mac OS 9 application
>Sheepshaver loads
>replaces your Linux taskbar at the top with a Mac OS menubar
>Mac OS windows have Mac OS window decorators, normal Linux windows don't
>can alt-tab between individual Mac OS 9 and Linux applications, UI changing accordingly