Where my PowerPC gois at? What is the best operating system to use on a PowerBook G4 in 2018...

Where my PowerPC gois at? What is the best operating system to use on a PowerBook G4 in 2018? I've tried different GNU/Linux and BSD distro's, but they all appear to be broken garbage on PPC for the most part. Leopard still seems to serve me well with webkit, but I'm just wondering if anyone else has had better luck with alternative operating systems on this aging platform.

Attached: 41MCVcJtE8L._SY450_.jpg (450x450, 15K)

That's the reason why I wouldn't use powerbooks.Most apple computers up to intel core 2 duo lineup are unusable nowadays.You are probably lucky if you could browse modern websites with that shit

Attached: 1536041934642.png (400x1650, 367K)

Install Gentoo

You aren't too far off. Websites that utilize a ton of JS are unbrowsable.

>Only screenfetch, programming socks and amd vs intel threads are allowed on Jow Forums

My interest in PowerPC macs is due to the fact that they utilize RISC processors.

MAC OS 9

Attached: 000000.jpg (528x768, 182K)

Debian should work. I use that on a PowerMac G5, though it is headless so I have no idea what the state of video drivers is like. All I know is that it displays the ncurses installer just fine. There's also NetBSD, which has ports for damn near every architecture. I've even gotten that to run on an SGI Octane.

There's really not much of a difference between RISC, CISC, VLIW, or any other sort of architecture on the user's end of things unless you're messing around with compilers or writing device driver firmware, which means working with assembly that's platform specific.

MacOS 9 is the most useless and retarded operating system I've ever seen. It doesn't even have a command shell to quickly unfuck all the stuff that goes wrong with it.

Which distros did you try exactly?

All of the buntus have non functional gpu hardware acceleration. OpenBSD has a package list that looks like something out of the mid 90’s, Debian appears to have gpu hardware acceleration, but sound is completely broken.

I've had an OpenBSD and Tiger dual-boot on my PowerBook G4 for a couple years now, it's been working great

/thread

t.macfaggot spaming fruity toddler toys on a technology board

>lacking the nuance to differentiate between vintage Apple, and modern overpriced, lookatitthewrongwayanditbreaks Apple.

Based and redpilled

>It doesn't even have a command shell to quickly unfuck all the stuff that goes wrong with it.
Of all the things wrong with Classic OS, this isn't really one of them. The whole point was getting rid of the shell. How badly are you fucking up your installations that you actually need one to navigate such a simple system?

I think really the only thing I'm missing from my G5 is proper clients for some IM services, don't really have a huge problem with most websites I browse. But I don't really give a fuck about streaming media or web apps.

>vintage Apple

Attached: 1538652163455.png (686x955, 420K)

Quad or dual?

Debian PPC works fairly well, but you need to compile a lot.

2.3 GHz dual-core. I'd like a Quad or a 2.7DP some day, though.

spbp
MACTODDLERS BTFO

Attached: 1538059668479.png (1177x1024, 42K)

I've gone out of the way to avoid the quads like the plague. Many of the liquid coolers have surely sprung leaks by this point in time, and the ones that haven't likely will sooner rather than later.

I just installed Debian on an iBook the other day. I had GPU hardware acceleration out of the box, and there were quite a few packages readily available, but I couldn't get sound to work.

>macshit
Found your problem.

>iBook
you go install Linux on any laptop that old, see how far you get.

Quads are supposedly quite reliable as most of the problems with the cooling system were hammered out in earlier generations and the main supplier was changed, I read a post on the TFF development blog a while ago that claimed they're even better than the air-cooled DC systems in terms of reliability since apparently the 2.0/2.3DC can have power supply problems.

The 2.7 and earlier do have known issues, however, but I think only with certain systems from certain suppliers.

>a mactoddler subhuman thinks any linux distro has problems with 2006 hardware except proprietary macintrash

This is pretty limp bait, but Linux actually is pretty terrible for any actually old hardware or anything that deviates from basic bitch home office PCs/laptops.