My brain is getting overwhelmed with all the passwords I have to remember, both important and not

My brain is getting overwhelmed with all the passwords I have to remember, both important and not

1 for each credit card, the credit union, the roth ira, amazon, three different email accounts, health insurance account, skype, home and work computer passwords, amazon, ssh and pgp keyring passwords, password for my account on work's vpc, admin account password, the password for the HR app, and who knows what else I can't think of at the moment.

How do people easily and securely deal with all these passwords?

Attached: dead.jpg (250x250, 8K)

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com/search?q=password manager
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Method_of_loci
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mnemonic_major_system
superuser.com/questions/878902/whats-the-difference-between-keepass-and-keepassx
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

bump

>How do people easily and securely deal with all these passwords?
I use an algorithm. Unique strong pws everytime. I don't have to remember each password.

google.com/search?q=password manager

You're welcome, you utter fucking retard

I don't know what's trustworthy

What do you mean you use an algorithm and you don't have to remember passwords

It's a recent Apple feature pushed out in an ios update.

Cons: Password is completely fucked if you're on a non-mac device.

just get an open source one, audit the code yourself, compile it yourself, and you know it's trustworthy

>What do you mean you use an algorithm and you don't have to remember passwords
Pretty much just that. I have a process that I use to make passwords in my head, and that's what I use to make passwords. I don't input passwords instead I solve an equation, and input that I guess.

keepass

Thanks user

specifically keepass 2.whatever it is on Windows
and keepassdroid on Android

keepassxc friend

Thanks frens

keepass2

I guess you could make passwords based on a hash of certain arbitrary properties of the account, e.g. url of the website, year you made it, etc

Not using a passphrase
Kys

write it on a piece of paper and put it in your wallet
if you're paranoid then use a code ring

>uses google
>calls others retarded

Trick there is to use at least three different algorhyms. Otherwise one comprimised password could lead very easily to the rest

Unironically write them down on a physical piece of paper. A password that's simple enough for you to remember is not a good password. Also use a password manager where possible.

gib me them I remind u user

Attached: candy.jpg (640x360, 26K)

Haha. Accurate.

Then you need a manager to manage your algorithms.

user, here's my method:

A few years back I downloaded keepass, created a kdb file, and spent a whole weekend resetting passwords on every account I could find (went through my emails for every 'account' I could find). New passes were generated by the program.

I still hold the passwords for the keepass file and my email account in my head, everything else I simply don't know. It's all in the file.

This is nearly zero hassle. Service gets compromised? Idgaf, worst case I reset a single account. Worst thing is being sure the kdb is backed up and it's available on all the systems I sign in from.

Can recommend.

I just write them all down to be honest.

There's one called pwsafe that has an option to store its file on applel's iCloud. Maybe storing the kdb file on some kind of cloud storage would be an effective solution. Possibly a self-hosted one if you're paranoid

>Writing them down
Not a bad option to be honest. Worst threat is a physically present, interested party.

But it protects again the biggest threat, online compromise.

For sure, I sync on Google drive.

I lock the paper in a safe. So somebody has to steal my keys in which case I'm probably already dead/injured/arrested so I probably have bigger problems.

>not storing it in a git repo

Isn't git for code?

>Implying I give a fuck about code monkey meme systems.

git is mainly meant for code but it can used for just about any kind of file I'm pretty sure.

pass. It's free software, like 50 lines of code, and it just uses GPG.

write them down

based, same brother

Attached: fcbad5c2-abd5-11e6-9020-c4ac7e1b2a73.png (500x325, 16K)

Use long sentences with spaces. Easy to remember and secure. Example: "My most amazing accomplishment today is watching anime."

Math/CS people I'm tired and don't want to think. Is using a personal simple password and salting it with the domain name then hashing with sha256 vulnerable? Obviously you wouldn't tell people the strategy.

I have two passwords
one for shit i do care about and one for shit I dont
if you have any more than that you're a moron

whos going to try and crack your password you larping retard?

>he memorizes passwords
>he doesn't write them down encrypted in a notebook just memorizing the encryption algorithm
I made one myself, not just passwords but forum, email and game accounts too all backed up in a txt file and physical notebook.

Attached: 1487696275106.jpg (600x600, 52K)

KeepAss

>A password that's simple enough for you to remember is not a good password.
I'm pretty sure almost everyone has their password in "muscle memory" after a while?

I ususally memorize new complex passwords by turning the characters into _vivid_ images relating to them (do not use abstract ideas, but things you can imagine). One way of doing this might be to use a word starting with the character you need to memorize. Special chars need special images. Numbers might be memorized using the "mnemonic major system" (google), or by using images that are generally associated with the number.

There are generally two ways to memorize those images long-term: 1) Story Method or 2) Loci Method.

Using the story method, you turn the images that relate to the characters into a weird story where the images interact with one another. This works because while abstract characters are hard to memorize long term, a story constisting of vivid images is rather easy. Generally, the more absurd, funny, perverted etc your story is, the better you will memorize it.

Using the Loci Method, you pick a route that you know and can picture well in your head, then pick a certain amount of vivid/memorizable points on that route and place your images on those points.

So to remember the sequence aWF$k5L pick some words (Jow Forums edition): antifa-guy (a), waifu (W), foot (F), dollar note ($), key (k), the pentagon (5), loot (L). Now picture a small antifa-guy running away scared (a), who gets followed by your giant favorite Waifu (W, you autist) and gets stomped by her giant foot (F). She forcibly takes his money ($) and finds a small key wrapped in the bills (k). It turned out she's infront of the pentagon (5, conspiracy!) which she opens with the key, only to find a giant Loot bounty (L) inside. Remember the absurdity of the story makes it memorable.

Because in stories you might miss an image, or mess up the order, ppl usually use the Loci Method (google).

literally a folder full of text files

cont:

Of course, this is probably only for people who don't want things written down, and part of it is also just recreational.

Now this might seem like a lot of effort, but it's a pretty safe way to remember abstract things long term. And if you use this for passwords, as you reiterate the story in your head, you quickly build muscle-memory and won't need the story anymore (it can still be found even years later though, depending on how well you organize the mnemonic systems you use.) The same methods can be used to memorize pretty much everything using some modifications, and are generally used by people competing in memory championships.

Some links:
Loci method (place images efficiently) en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Method_of_loci
Major system (memorize any number with any precision) en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mnemonic_major_system
artofmemory.com forum and their wiki contains a lot of material, but it's pretty low-quality content to filter through. There are a lot of scam-artists in this field too, so don't believe everything you hear.

Dis

by cleaning your room first

I use KeePass. It's a nice, convenient, secure and FREE password manager.

Since you're too dumb, just use 1 2 3 4 for all your passwords.

based and redpilled

Quads linking to google.... nice bait moot

I sometimes think i am too dumb for modern world. I am tired of writing passwords multiple time a day, i could get easily lost in the city or even in shopping mall. The Industrial Revolution and its consequences have been a disaster for the human race

>just get an open source one, audit the code yourself

Attached: 1541873596235.gif (200x234, 2.85M)

what's this mess with keepass versions? whats the best/recommended one?

I recently started to do this after getting tired of having to use keepass for all my shit. Highly recommend, way more convenient than keepass, with 3 or so variations of it the security is pretty great too. And the bonus of not having it written anywhere period.

>what is a password manager
KeePassXC for offline password storage
Bitwarden if you need it to be synced accross multiple devices
(You can still export the offiline database and sync it manually, its just a pain in the ass)
Create one master password and protect all the other ones in a encrypted database
Use 2FA
And memorize the ones you cant afford to lose in case you don't have access to your database, like your phone and email passwords
Next time google your fucking problems before making a thread on Jow Forums

Attached: 1540865432748.png (200x200, 24K)

What's all this keepass, keepassxc and keepass 2? Whats the difference between each of them?

From what I know, and I haven't done a lot of research about, so dont quote me on it, keepass was the og program that was meant for windows, keepassx was an opensource fork for all plataforms, windows, linux and macOS, keepassxc is a community fork of keepassx, because the devs claim that the devs of keepassx are too slow
So, in theory, keepassXC is the fastest in development, so the one you should use
Again this is just what I know, its still better to make your own research on their differences, and what password manager suits you best

pass + git with the pgp key on a yubikey.

superuser.com/questions/878902/whats-the-difference-between-keepass-and-keepassx

keepass2