/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Jow Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Attached: yande.re 279690 headphones yamucha.png (1100x884, 1.02M)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Creatology-Kelly-Green-Basic-Felt/dp/B077QSD74D/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1541919377&sr=8-3&keywords=Creatology felt&dpID=51nHoaXIRPL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
coolmaterial.com/roundup/history-of-headphones/
youtube.com/watch?v=BbXEcCJ8nk8
youtube.com/watch?v=Q7enj9U_lGk
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-cavalli-liquid-carbon-x.4947/
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-topping-dx3pro-dac-and-headphone-amp.4967/
aliexpress.com/item/xq10/32867278838.html
en-us.sennheiser.com/around-ear-headphones-stereo-mic-hd-569
audiocheck.net/soundtests_nonlinear.php
reddit.com/r/Zeos/comments/9v45wr/zguides_dac_amp_combos/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

stax

Attached: 1539488299627.png (1024x768, 280K)

Incorrect, their peak impedance has nothing to do with them sounding veiled. First, all open diaphragm headphones have a impedance peak at around 80hz, this is just physics. But not all open headphones are veiled, it is a special character of the HD's, especially the 650.

>putting the cables behind your arms instead of right in front of you
Do people really do this?

>What do you want the headphones for? If it's just to hear your teammates and communicate with them, get any piece of shit. Doesn't matter.

>Do you also want to watch movies? Listen to music? Good quality sound in games? Get the m50x. Pair it with a mod mic or any another seperate mic. If you have a faggot voice or live next to a trash compactor, no Blue Yeti will make you sound better. Again, if it's just for gaming you don't need to break the bank on a mic, but avoid headsets for the most part. If that cheap piece of crap mic breaks, you've pretty much got a pair of headphones with a worthless dick hanging off the side. And they usually look like shitty toys to boot. That said, the Sennheiser GSP-600 sounds really good, but look embarassing and have a mic attached so I wouldn't buy it. But again, if no one will ever see them and you want good quality, go for it.

>As far as actual good headphones go, I love my Audeze Mobius. Detachable mic, so you don't even have to use it if you want. Acceptable aesthetics, and they sound absolutely amazing. The 3D stuff works amazingly too as well, but if you don't want to use it you can turn it off and use them as regular headphones.

Attached: 1541916262152.jpg (1000x1000, 396K)

I do it at work cause my amp is behind me

>m50x
Lmao /v/ is fucking retarded. Stop crossposting, cuck.

we already know the mobius is shit considering the majority of impressions. stop posting retards saying retarded things.

>stax
mfw

Attached: tongue.jpg (512x512, 37K)

How does the felt mod affect the sound of 58X? Supposedly brings it closer to the sound of HD660?

they're not shit, just overpriced, if you get it at the indiegogo price the it's a good deal but charging more than $300 for them is nonsense

Attached: Screenshot_2018-11-11 HD58X Jubilee (Massdrop).png (757x540, 58K)

no, people were disappointed even with the indiegogo price. I cancelled when I found out there wasn't a single good impression of them before they released. they were that bad. the 3d is a gimmick. impressions remain bad except for /v/irgins who haven't heard a proper audiophile headphones.

audeze will always be trash, end of discussion

Nice, all you need is some felt and a screwdriver to pop the back off right?

Reposting
Is HD 600 best headphones i can get for $280 and under?

They're pretty good, yeah. I wouldn't buy them if you're a basshead though

dt880 is better

amazon.com/Creatology-Kelly-Green-Basic-Felt/dp/B077QSD74D/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1541919377&sr=8-3&keywords=Creatology felt&dpID=51nHoaXIRPL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

this felt and some double sided tape

>Sucks for them then. These things sound amazing. I'm also not sure where the "majority of impressions" are since all the reviews are glowing, but this is Jow Forums.

>Most of the people on /v/ can barely play videogames. I can only assume the people on /hpg/ are equally as capable.

THIS! 100%.

Way more comfortable too.

The History of Headphones:

coolmaterial.com/roundup/history-of-headphones/

Attached: My Vintage Collection.jpg (2021x1382, 601K)

k702

Headphones always sound amazing until you get the chance to try something better and it spoils you every other headphone. That's why you shouldn't hear Stax if you can't afford them.

You wouldn't be tempted to try the Hifiman Shangri-La if you had the opportunity?

newfag thinks the shangri-la is good and better than stax lmao

Orpheus HE90 then.

Let's see how braindead of a weeb you really are.

>He90
overpriced stax omega imitation beaten by diyers

Are the KZ-ZS10s a good pair of IEMs if I'm coming from Sony MDR-XB50APs?

stax

Attached: 1541809505906.gif (416x307, 2.58M)

I'd get a dt880 instead.
I have the dt990 and I'd choose Beyer any day because the headbands are great and there's no shiny plastic bullshit.

Also they don't crack *cough* like some others

Attached: dt990.jpg (3264x2448, 1.33M)

But the treble

DT990 & DT880 are objectively more fun than anything Sennheiser is capable of.

People forget listening to music is a form of having fun.

Hello friends, may I have a suggestion?

>Budget
Upper limit, probably around $150, could go higher, would prefer not to
>Location
Burgers
>Source
Late-nite YouTube and gaymen, maybe some movies on occasion
>Type of headphone
Full sized over-ear closed, size is no object
>Comfort level
Comfort's the priority, but I still enjoy good sound quality. Mix of both with comfort winning by 20% I suppose
>Sound signature
Would prefer punchy and appropriately boomy on the bass side of things, but otherwise neutral; I have an outboard EQ for tuning.

A built in mic would also be neato, but is not necessarily a priority.

Thanks, boo

Attached: IMG_20171108_215007.jpg (2560x1920, 773K)

Source means where are you plugging it into. Your PC?

Either way, I'd recommend the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, or if you can afford to spend a bit more, the Custom One Pro Plus. Check them out.

Attached: beyerdynamic-dt-770-pro-250-ohm.jpg (960x960, 85K)

Whoops, yeah, PC and the occasional PS4. Cool, I'll check those out. Any suggestions for mic'd ones?

The general suggestion is to buy a separate desk mic. I personally have a Samson with a stand.

Most headset mics are shit, but if you absolutely need one, your best bet is probably something like this:

youtube.com/watch?v=BbXEcCJ8nk8

Figured. I've got an SM57 that I use for my general mic needs, the convenience of a mic'd headset is just real nice for the standard video chat and whatnot.

Just look up attachable mics like the modmic 5.

Bless you.

I assume I ought to opt for the higher impedance models? I don't plan on these leaving my house

Also I'm currently on a pair of ATH-M10's, just curious, is there a general consensus on them?

have you eq'd them
pic related really opened the sound up imo

Attached: Capture.png (236x488, 19K)

Thoughts on topping dx3? Can get it for 150€

What's the best $200-$300 Headphone for this type of music:

youtube.com/watch?v=Q7enj9U_lGk

do takstar pro 82s live up to the hype or should i get something else like the CB-1
for gaming btw

What amp and DAC would you recommend for the DT990? Would the FiiO E10K Olympus 2 work or should I get something different?

nobody has it yet

How is it supposed to do compared to the element? Element has physical switch for line out/RCA and looks great

normie trying to improve headphone quality. Bought an m40x and noticed volume is low on my pc. thinking of buying a burson play is this all i'd need to begin with?

audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-cavalli-liquid-carbon-x.4947/

audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-topping-dx3pro-dac-and-headphone-amp.4967/

Why do all you babies use over-ear?

You're not getting the true, pure listening experience from in-ear canal.

Attached: iec.png (794x586, 542K)

Continuing my research on ATH-AD900X upgrades, which I was a fan and user of sound- and ergonomics-wise. I've been looking at the AD1000X before, but I'm also checking out AKG offerings and the new-ish, more neutral R70X, both of which are much more reasonably available in my area. In particular, I'm worried I'll end up missing the particular female vocal tuning of the AD series, especially as I have no real way to compare them here. Any thoughts?

Do you think that this aliexpress.com/item/xq10/32867278838.html would be of any benefit with Benjie T6. Tempted to try it.

en-us.sennheiser.com/around-ear-headphones-stereo-mic-hd-569

best casual budget choice, right? I listen to a wide range of genres so I'm looking for something ballanced

I really like my HD600 but it hurts the top of my head after one or two hours.
Should I try the AKG712? I don't want to lose too much value on the sound.

Buy the HD600

buy hd 600
buy hd 800

>buy hd 600

>expensive and armor plated

but I'm not planning to get shot at user, I just want to listen to some music

Topping dx3 pro is $184 on ali and goes down to $169 apparently with coupons. Based on Amir review this might be the best DAC deal ever. I bought one just because of functionality. The only thing I would worry about is QC.

>184
the image says 184 but it's literally not 184. what

chinked

you can still get it down to around 175-ish though

It is though, there are plenty of listings that are $186.99 and go down to around $170 with coupons.

where do i get coupons

Newfag here, are Focal headphones any good and which model particularly?

Not good, they crackle if you play them above 75db

I did that with my portapros too. It looks retarded, so now people think I'm trying to be a hipster.

i fell for the open office workplace meme and bought a pair of sony WH-1000XM2 but in all honesty they sound worst than my sennheiser hd 558 although the shut out noise both from my jpop/jrock/anime music and from the outside better
is there a way to calibrate them properly? do i just tweak the equalizer in my rocker until i think it sounds ok?

Attached: 1508691486816.png (1417x1080, 781K)

oh no no no look at this dude...

I was going to do that for max boomer feel since I remember all the true metalheads in hs putting those on their grados, you took one for the team user.

Are they neutral? The top headbandd doesn't look soft.
I'm not sure if i like bass or anything else but neutral. How do i figure out if i do?

Are they neutral?

I can't afford hd600 and shp9500 is too bright, what else i can buy?

This is Hifiman's new $600 massdrop headphone, Hefty planar cans asymmetrically glued to a thin strip of shitty leather as a headband, say something nice about it!

Attached: 3573578375.jpg (1300x867, 90K)

>buying chinkshit $600 headphones

I own both a pair of m50x and DT770 80 Ohm.
The Beyer sound SO MUCH better for everything. Is that because the DT770 are just better cans or because of the slightly higher impedance dealing with the relatively high output impedance of my audio interface better?

Does anyone want to say anything about the sound stage on these?

m50's just suck imo, they get fucking stomped in their price range

pure garbage

Attached: Screenshot 2018-11-11 at 15.07.12.png (2476x1546, 297K)

Cumstained second hand hd600.

Iktf. I have to use my shitty closed headphones at work because the next person is like 4 feet away from me and I don't want them to hear the stuff I listen to.

She's cute.
I'd shove my face in her boobies.

Even before the first /hpg/, when the hottest headphone argument on/g/ was MDR V6 vs M50, the DT770 was already considered a better option for those who had the money.

Z for Zeos!

Attached: ADAD9D5F-072F-4E15-A057-111107A74BD8.jpg (748x805, 60K)

>teardrop housing
Who started this cancer? Is it from the same brilliant mind that put t50rp drivers in the oven and sold them for $1k?

You just need to listen them, user. They sound great.
Your autism is showing.

Find a place to go listen to them.
Or find a good reference, if you have a friend with some neutral speakers to compare to.
audiocheck.net/soundtests_nonlinear.php
Also, skip down to the "Variations of the Frequency Sensitivity" section for more reference material.

Attached: Serge Alexendrovitch Koussevitzky.jpg (1280x1280, 96K)

GUYS! Z just made a new guide about amp+dac combo units:
reddit.com/r/Zeos/comments/9v45wr/zguides_dac_amp_combos/

Attached: 84A48693-EF9C-4084-B2BB-EFE9B936551B.jpg (531x597, 41K)

What is his job? how can he afford all this stuff?

i played the qc roulette for 169$ and i win, wont play it for 599$ tho.

People loan their gear for him to review. In fact, if you own something interesting that he hasn’t reviewed yet, you should contact him and lend it out to him. For community!

what a cuck

Will topping D10 and Magni 3 be a good choice for entry level DAC and AMP to power HD6XX?

Attached: 1538414849059.jpg (353x332, 17K)

also youtube money, also people throw money at him on patreon and people who throw enought money a month can throw even more money bidding in his patreon auction when hi sell gear who mostly get for free. a very jewish money scheme.

buy topping DX3pro

>loaning my gear to audio-goblin so that he can make money on it through Youtube views and ref links
How about no?

Attached: B9AC2227-48A0-40CE-B6F5-2D06EA181281.jpg (744x596, 61K)

Im not sure if you are trying to be ironic or not, but I recommend not following anything Zeos does or say. Guy overhypes things all the time, his reviews are pretty much talking about nothing and shaking his camera, on top of this quite a few dacs he recommends were measured by amir and turned out to be complete shit. Im not even trying to say Zeos lies, but it shows that his by ear reviews are not worth shit.

What if I already have Magni 3? and already placed an order for D10 for 70$.

Im just trying ti validate my decisions here :D

Attached: 1538486952173.gif (652x562, 626K)

He removed the smsl m6 from the list. What gives?

I'm looking for a headset to replace my old g930 with. Mainly for gaming on pc and listening to music. I live in Germany and I could spend up to €150. It doesn't have to be wireless, but that's a convenience. I'm leaning torwards the HyperX Cloud Flight because it's also compatible with phone. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Don't have an amp for my HD600, what is preferable for them between solid state vs tube? Googling a bit I saw people say that tube adds distortion to the sound and is more suitable for them.

Do you need a mic attached to you headphones or you have a desk mic?

then you are fine with d10 and you schiit trash, not that the difference from a dx3 pro are audible and worth upgrading, but an all-in-one unit that look better and for god have finally low output impedance would have been a better choice