How much longer before Adobe ports Photoshop to GNU/Linux?

How much longer before Adobe ports Photoshop to GNU/Linux?

This is hands down the main thing holding GNU/Linux back in the art productivity department. Gimp still can't even come close, and while Krita is pretty decent, it's still buggy and mainly for drawing.

Attached: 416rhOVJs4L._SX342_.jpg (342x342, 15K)

Other urls found in this thread:

photopea.com/
github.com/photopea/photopea/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I don't think we will ever get Adobe programs on Linux

Photoshop on linux would be huge. I hope to see it in my lifetime.

nobody wants to see autistic neckbeards art

Why don't they just do it? I don't get it. Is it because Microshit and Applel are paying them to ignore Linux?

photopea.com/

I feel that programs like Abode's suite would diversify Linux's user base as I'm sure a lot of people like myself would 100% drop Windows in a heart beat when productivity applications become available.

Never. Photoshop will become a web application first

Literally never. They were going to do it once, then shitcanned the project and basically said it's not worth doing because Linux users don't like paying for software and the ones that do wouldn't even come close to offsetting the development costs especially since most of them have already purchased the Windows version to use with WINE so there's no way they'd buy it a second time.

>Dis faget wants us to give away our cashcow for free

Attached: [email protected] (449x401, 490K)

>Why don't they just do it?
Because making a GNU/Linux Port would require pouring thousands into a project that have no idea will pay dividends

Photoshop is a harmful proprietary software and should not be used.

>Gimp still can't even come close, and while Krita is pretty decent, it's still buggy and mainly for drawing.
Then consider donating to those projects, either financially or with patches, documentation, tutorials, etc.

Also harmful proprietary software, do not use.

>Linux
is a kernel.

If you're going to continuously make excuses as to why you're using proprietary software on a proprietary OS then don't be surprised when the applications are never ported and you remain stuck there.

Lol. Even iOS is getting full Photoshop first.

>Photoshop is
better than all of those, and always will be.

ftfy

This faggot is the type of person that causes Adobe (and everyone else) to think it's a waste of resources to port shit to Linux.
This guy gets it

>If you're going to continuously make excuses as to why you're using proprietary software on a proprietary OS
I do use a linux distro personally but when you get a job you will be forced to use proprietary software on a proprietary OS be it Windows or MacOS.

Photoshop does not provide freedom for the user.

>Linux
Is a kernel. You would have a hard time porting a graphical application only using a kernel.

If you want to use nonfree applications there are plenty of OSes out there that already will let you do that. I suggest you stick with those since you seem to have a fundamental confusion about what "Linux" actually is.

My job does not force me to use harmful software against my will. Again keep on making those excuses and then sit around on your ass wondering why nothing improves.

it provides freedom to do whatever the fuck you want with it

>b-b-but its not open source,,, omgg,,
are things you buy in a store open source?
do you go to a store and buy food and the fucking recipe is on it, or a drink or literally any consumable?
or the processor you posted this on, or most of your computer hardware?
or most of the electronics in your household?
are all products open source?
no, no they fucking aren't.
if they were, there would be no reason to sell them.
you could just make it yourself.
and at that point there would be no benefit for companies to continue making it

grow up

I can only imagine how much you'd love to eat the fungus off Stallman's feet.

Really tired of people pushing the Krita meme.
>gimp is bad
>therefore krita is better automatically
that's not reasonable.

it's still better, and cuter

Yep. Biiiig faggot. Literally everyone but you thinks Stallman is a fucking pedantic retard for the whole "Linux is a kernel" thing. If you were hugging his dick any harder, you'd be his ballsac. You clearly have no reasonable argument besides regurgitation of stallmanisms if you're going to resort to obvious and intentional ignorance. You know goddamn well what people mean when they say Linux.

>it provides freedom to do whatever the fuck you want with it
100% false, try reading the license some time

>Stallman
Literally who?

There's no point in replying to that dipshit. He will just take one tiny part of your post, either a single sentence or word, and make a completely irrelevant reply, showing that he has no argument for the actual body of your post. He's sucking so much rms dick that he's even debating like him.

I know, but it felt good. I have not much better to do.

Attached: miyano.png (112x112, 27K)

No, I don't, Linux is a kernel not an OS. When you retards say nonsensical stuff like "port applications to Linux" that could mean 100 different things because the kernel is used in many different places. Don't post inane shit and then get mad when someone calls you out. And I don't know what this "Stallman" is or does sorry.

Adobe marketer pls go.

What would be better is if Adobe made all their products open source.
Ideally, I'd merge together Photoshop and Illustrator into one tool, taking the best bits from CS3/CS4/CS5. Mostly, just the stuff that was added after CS3 that most other image editing tools have, eg. rotate canvas.

Flash could be beefed up a lot too.

There's already some similar browser clones, check out Pixlr Editor and Photopea.

i'd like to create some diagrams with car shapes in them (top perspective, showing either the roof or the insides very roughly/schematically).

While i usually use tex with tikz, these shapes will be somewhat annoying to produce. What kind of tools/software would be an appropriate choice for this?

Nowhere near the same level of functionality.

looking to torrent cs2 or cs3. any sites, Jow Forumsents?

Ask

gimp.org
krita.org

Libreoffice

is garbage.

It's already a web application

wine

Performance hit.

Fair enough. I know that feel. I'm just here to kill time while I wait for someone to come buy my macbook and mac mini so I can go snag a new laptop that's got an i7, 16gb RAM, 1tb hdd, 512gb ssd and a 3gb 1060 without looking all gaymurrr lol

no 3D acceleration

photoshop is software intended for actual work and no one using linux do any actual work

>inb4 coding is a real work

>doing actual work requires having no freedom
sounds about right for an adobe shill like yourself

Why in the flying fuck would a company who PAYS and EMPLOYS over 17,000 people, consider porting their suite of software to an OS that has a 1% marketshere and a community who believes all software development should be free?

They won't. They aren't stupid.

Ask valve

it's not holding back shit. Film and Visual fx moved to Linux when Irix was no longer viable. If you aren't moving to Linux because of no Photoshop the problem is you, not Linux.

>Microshit and Applel are paying them to ignore Linux?
source: my ass

Never. Their current target is iOS.

Majority of the GNU/Linux community wouldn't care because the license it would be published under would still not be FOSS or even open source. So on principle there would be almost no users, so Adobe doesn't even bother with GNU/Linux.

Since they've had plenty of opportunities to do so, and haven't needed to yet, I doubt it will ever happen. Their current subscription model is working fantastically for them, and once they have full Photoshop in iPad Pro's next year it will only get better for them. No Linux PS in our lifetimes. Gimp it up, freetards.

Valve is looking for an alternative to Windows, because they are afraid of Microsoft screwing it up. Their end users (/v/ gaymers) don't care about the GNU/Linux community where people care about ethics in technology. So Valve can continue to sell proprietary software through their proprietary platform.

>autistic neckbeards art
>implying Linux isn't just that

>Their current subscription model is working fantastically for them
This one of the reasons Adobe needs to fucking die. I say this as someone who has used the Adobe software suite for over 25 years. Photoshop is a bloated mess and nothing about it is innovative any more. Adobe stopped producing interesting software and rest entirely on the fact that many of their programs became the defacto industry standard in the 90s and most professionals are trained to use their software. It's domination through stagnation.

Honestly, as someone who supports a small design business, our software costs are down because of this, we pay for the number of seats we actually need and all out workstations are up to date. The worst problem we have is needing to keep one of the old Macs on hand running Snow Leopard so that it can run Freehand via rosetta (killing off freehand was Adobe's biggest sin from our perspective, many of our older hands preferred it to Illustrator -- me as well, when I used to do design work -- but people adapt).

WHY should Adobe care about people like you who use a pirated version just to shipost memes all over the web? GTFO. Freeloading useless pirates like you are a plague to commercial software development and those who actually make use of their software in a professional environment.

The moment this shit happens, I'm backing up my files, buying a copy of Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign and just installing a distro that will have the biggest support for it at that given time.

Until then, I'll continue using W7 as my main OS.

It's free as in freedom, not free as in price. But anyway they won't port it because their customers are all a bunch of Microsoft and Apple apologists. Marketshare doesn't actually matter because as you know, the grunts tasked with making generic banner ad #5248324 will just use whatever the boss tells them to use.

>Adobe
>professional
No

i just go photopea.com. my boss did not gave me the adobe license i asked him for. i work with mac/windows at work and linux at home.

Recently my autism kicks in every time I hear a word with 'divers' in it. Fuck the kikes and cucks for ruining English for me.

Photoshop works pretty well in wine

Which version though. I am fine with v7. v7 was heavenly.

Why would they? Doubt the demand is there when most creatives switched to Applel decades ago and out of the few left, at least half of them would bitch about the subscription model and lack of open sores. And freetards miss a lot more than PS for art productivity. Even with all the software ported (which is below unlikely), there would be still a hardware gap, and even with that fixed, you'd have a pathetic UI, that is distracting to work with.

Which is given, since there is a massive demand and tons of money to make from.

They probably just don't see a good financial reason for it.
A good chunk of professionals that work with their CC are on iOS, the rest is using Windows.
Releasing it for Linux honestly wouldn't really change that.
The only people that would maybe consider switching are the ones running Windows and even there, I doubt it would really be a significant percentage.

in about 794 hours and 48 minutes

Weirdo. Is your computer from 2009 or before that? If not then using Linux doesn't matter is a lifestyle choice so stfu. Nobody has time to be a virgin using a 10 year old or in most cases older computer with buggy OS. We have lives and families kid

are you the same autist from the open source game thread

Nobody said for free. Just give me a goddamn native Linux binary for PS and LR and I'll drop Windows tomorrow.

t. photographer

Ask Algorithmic.

t. brainlet
Gimp is trash you stupid idiot, and you clearly know nothing about image editing or art in general.

Even Stallman said Proton could be a good thing if it encourages more people to dump Windows for GNU/Linux.

Most people don't need anything more than KolourPaint. Or, in windows terms, anything more than paint.exe/paint.net and windows movie maker. Why do you think that the 1-2% of users that actually need adobe tools would be enough for Adobe to port the tools to an OS with 2% market share? That's basically targeting 0.04% of desktop users.

>gimp is bad because my boss makes us use photoshop!!!
same shit as always, every thread

I'm a hobbyist and Gimp is hot garbage. It's not even 1/5th as intuitive as Photoshop.

the freetards will never allow linux to become Adobe/Linux, the seething would never end
(not that Linux will ever become what they themselves call it either c:)

Attached: 1519049521785.jpg (947x810, 94K)

>ok user youve convinced us, now WHICH linux do we port it to?
>choose wisely there are no interoperable packages and were only going to port it once
>ubuntu has most users
>but RHEL is what autodesk ports to
>but no proprietary softare on fedora
>but fsf hates fedora
>but ubuntu has outdated packages
>but arch is too hard to use and has fewer users
>but flatpak and appimage dont work
Linux is a series of mistakes

this is good bait as evidenced by all the replies you're getting but I think you'd fool even more people if you stopped pretending to not know who stallman is

Just port to Ubuntu and it's already compatible with most. Besides it's what most creative people would use.

Losers like this are why you never see good software on Linux.

who said anything about fucking gimp? you shit eating retard Do you really think photoshop has a place in any film production pipeline? The shit that people do with photoshop, film pros do all day long with other software, and not just single frames, whole fucking feature films. Adobe cucks are seriously every bit as bad as freetards and are totally incapable of seeing it.

What do you think this thread's about, idiot?

Also nobody uses Linux for film. Premiere is the standard.

Gentoo, obviously

Nobody cares about Photoshop. It's shitty software.

cringe and proprietarypilled

Name a better program then, user. I'm waiting!

I wish they would port illustrator and XD over too

Obvious answer right here. The development and support cost would outweigh the profit by a good margin. Let's not pretend like artists will pick Linux over Windows or OSX, or that freetards would support an admittedly shit company like Adobe.

PhotoShop is obsolete.

pic related

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-11-11 at 7.18.59 PM.png (1346x910, 128K)

Really? Where have you people been? It's been a cloud app since 2013. They don't want anyone buying their software, they want to force you to rent it.

but then it would be flooded with progressives and normies (even moreso than already).

now that is fucking funny

>Also nobody uses Linux for film
I'm not going to call you a retard but you are ignorant. Video editing is but one part of the film production pipeline, the bit at the end. The meat and potatoes of high-end vfx is done by departments running linux workstations, using proprietary software like Maya, Houdini, Nuke, Deadline...

Why didn't they just use crossplatform GUI code in the first place like qt or electron

What is the best Adobe XD alternative that runs on linux?

WINE works fine with PS 7.0 at least, which has basically all necessary features you could ever need

it run on linux in your wet dream.

photopea is open source you fucking retard
github.com/photopea/photopea/

Photoshop is overrated.
>muh industry standard
Cropping photos isn't a real industry.
You know what an industry stamdard is? Metric thread, because you cant screw an imperial nut on it.

I am an artist and I recently switched to Linux just because Krita runs like shit on windows. Krita is FUCKING GOOD, really.
As for photo editing, I guess there's fuckload of apps you could use.
Even gimp while cumbersome and shitty would get the job done. It has the features and plugins.

Or you could run PS with Wine.

>Since Photopea is not fully open-source project, this account serves as a place for bug reports and general discussion.

>>photopea is open source you fucking retard

Attached: aka_q.png (756x715, 889K)

There is plenty of good software, and none of it is proprietary trash like Photoshop.

I still don't know who that is, maybe you should stick on topic instead of bringing random assholes into the conversation.

never. most companies are stubborn and shit on linux because it's free . and when it's free, it doesn't give them revenue.

it's just an OS/kernel. who the fuck cares if it's free of charge or not?

Photoshop isn't primarily for art, that's what illustrator is for.

Sketch runs on Unix : ^)