IRC thread

I Haven't used irc in I more than 4 - 5 years. How do you get back into it.

> What are good clients?
> What are good servers?
> Are bots still relevant?
> Best strategy to remain anonymous on IRC?

Also IRC general discussion.

Attached: irclogo.gif (233x136, 17K)

Other urls found in this thread:

littleweeb.github.io/
github.com/mayfrost/guides/blob/master/IRC.md
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Im trying to get back to IRC I don't really know where to go aside from my private trackers servers.

Interesting topic, want to delve into this again, too.

Jow Forums and Jow Forums both have their own channel at rizon, I learned. As far as clients go: hexchat is an option.

I've heard there are irc and usenet channels/servers for downloading anime, similar to bookz. I've never found any though.

what kind of sociopath goes on IRC and remains anonymous?

ITT: dangerhairs pretend to 'get back into' IRC in an attempt to find out where all the 'cool kid' servers are in order to ruin them like everything else they touch.

kill yourselves.

Hope you're using a VPN

you really don't need to spell it out for us at this point.

I'm in 2 irc channels but they're not really new people friendly
They were formerly busy/popular channels that only old timers stuck around in
Best IRC advice is same as always, don't go into a channel expecting immediate action. Just idle and lurk to see what kind of conversation happens long term. Many channels are dead 90% of the time but get busy at random parts of the day.

Kids these days would rather use discord than IRC. It's the last bastion of internet culture.

dont go there if you dont know someone on the channels. its just weird to go there when everyone else there are irl friends.

if the channel is about some shared interest it's not so bad if you lurk and then join in but you're probably going to be treated like a newfag anyway and be the third wheel

why
what will happen with IP

at least on rizon everything becomes a random blogging channel. it happens even to some of the channels that are posted here. people talk about their shitty lifes instead of whatever the channel topic is.

you will get raped

remember in 1999 when they had that exploit which by sending a single packet to an ip their windows would blue screen haha good times

random big irc channels are always like that
they turn into conversations about drugs or sex or epic memes
not much better than discord

J-just a meme, right?

some servers will show your ip and sometimes its possible to get your address from it. normally just the city tho

weechat, but I don't really use it much, just nice to know that its always there.

Attached: Screenshot_20181111_122648.png (1339x689, 2.64M)

how do you select the channel that your message gets sent to when you have that thing enabled

It's currently in #fsf (see at the bottom left) you can switch channels w/ irc commands or with hotkeys

wtf

Attached: chainmail bikinis.jpg (1024x683, 176K)

I think most servers are dead except a few like rizon or freenode
Any client that works is good, for anonimity use vpn

as much as Jow Forums hates the language, #go-nuts on freenode is one of the most wholesome channel i found in the 2 years

>Kids these days would rather use discord than IRC
what is purple-discord

test

Attached: hnnnnnrrrrrr.gif (680x383, 2.47M)

Attached: 1541735898933.jpg (800x800, 40K)

2 1 3

what

The order in which he'd fuck em. For me it's 3 2 1.

I like weechat.

test #test

2 3 1 nigger

Why the fuck does this keep happening??

Attached: 2018-11-11-131446_1680x1050_scrot.png (1680x1050, 198K)

You're not allowed to talk about 4*2.

Go ruin the Jow Forums rizon channel

>I Haven't used irc in I more than 4 - 5 years
nothing changed

Attached: 1482634825279.png (318x363, 124K)

stable tech is comfy as fuck

>being this new

Attached: Mfw.jpg (828x766, 48K)

#Jow Forums?

ok so whatever you do stay out of #Jow Forums and #homescreen because those channels are full of hypersensitive crybaby faggots who ban you for not also being a faggot.
Theres a couple of decent channels #(4*2)chan and #808 are decent . I'm looking for other decent Rizon channels so please recommend some!

Attached: donuts :).webm (640x640, 2.87M)

SLSK chat > IRC

Attached: 2018-11-11-154023_1680x1050_scrot.png (1680x1050, 471K)

>black metal

what's the favored method for checking if anyone said anything on irc remotely? (nobody said anything though, they never say anything)
bouncer with good logging? secure shell to terminal based client?

> I've heard there are irc and usenet channels/servers for downloading anime, similar to bookz. I've never found any though.
horrible subs

Theres sup/trg/, tabletop gaming focused but theres also a ton of tech people, programmers, admins, etc. that frequent it.

> #Jow Forums and #homescreen because those channels are full of hypersensitive crybaby faggots who ban you for not also being a faggot.
> crying about being kicked
it's a part of irc culture, you come back from kicks and zlines and stop being a hypersensitive crybaby faggot

You know this-
*Idles in room of 100 people that don't talk*
-IRC is way better-
*Gets glined by IRCop for dissent*
is way better than
*Gets private message extorted from IRCop*
botnet Discord.

Attached: image (2).jpg (1024x538, 72K)

>horrible subs
no thanks

if you use emacs erc is decent
I've never seen an active channel in more than ten years and all the people who talked to me were weird as fuck

find something else and let me know

> being new on irc
i thought Jow Forums was 18+

that screenshot was from right now. A couple of rooms are so fast at times its hard to conversate. The music (and other files) browsing is interesting and theres lots of music available on slsk you wont find anywhere else. Lots of FLAC available too.

maybe on the homescreen channel but absolutely nothing is allowed on the Jow Forums irc there is/was a mentally ill op there who banned me years ago because he thought that im someone else and that ban is still there.

I'd suggest the two IRC frequent but then they'd be overrun with you asshats. Just go on rizon and search for channels you fat stupid garbage

He's right about the Jow Forums IRC channel though. You'll get banned for the slightest thing.

Best setup is weechat with the vim plugin and znc as a bounce.

fuck yeah bro

Anyone here have experience with LittleWeeb?
littleweeb.github.io/
Seems like a nice alternative for what xdcccatcher used to be.

4*2 chan
4+4 chan

Black metal is basically the retarded whiney emo cousin of metal. Man up and listen to some death metal or something.

##postmarketos-offtopic on freenode is pretty comfy

oh i do. i listen to all kinds of shit.

just downloaded it, will use it in a bit and see if its any good

Good clients? irssi or Wechat

>I registered to Mirc just for fun last month, after pirating it since early 00's
> feels good to be on the right side of the law

funny way to spell 1 2 3

Attached: hexchatguide.png (1140x4496, 1.74M)

>clients
irssi
or erc (if you're cool enough)
>servers
rizon for everything yotsuba
freenode for free software
undernet for #bookz
>bots
yes?.. i don't understand what you mean
some bots bots spam rooms and are [hopefully] quickly b&
some bots do dumb things like check the weather for you or respond with stupid mayms
some rooms are more or less just bots you can download things from using XDCC
>anonymity
just like any wobsite, the server will know who you are
so from this perspective it's not anonymous at all
but users side, you can use a secure connection, edit your client"s configs appropriately making sure there's no meaningful info or ways for it to get out, and don't talk about anything real ever
you can change your nick regularly, but if you end up part of a regular group this just gets annoying
you can run multiple clients for different things and bounce them entering the servers from different places

all you anarcho-deadhead-ecological-freetard-psychonaut-vegetarian-weebs out there should join #mayoichan on rizon

Attached: 1501873749236.jpg (800x1101, 343K)

> What are good clients?
I like irssi, once you set is comfy
> What are good servers?
Freenode and Rizon are the most popular, I am always talking to people there
> Are bots still relevant?
Hell yes, best way to get news
> Best strategy to remain anonymous on IRC?
Use the tools of your network like a cloak or vhost

I know, I know, Freenode and Rizon are not the only networks, but with so many channels to catch up it starts to get busy around IRC.

is horriblesubs worth joining, anything fun in there?

rizon is not very good if you want to stay anonymous. they have only partial cloaks so you can often see the city that someone is in or even their real name if they use own domains with real whois info.

Attached: 1534390004291.png (151x15, 480)

>what is a bouncer
>what is tor (on rizon)
>what are vpns
>what is znc
Is not like we don't have options user

why would i care if someone knows what city i'm in?

i thought that they have those block lists that ban any tor users.

some people might care. probably not most on this gamer hardware shill board tho.

Sorry, I was thinking in Freenode, not usre about rizon

>AppImage
I already like it

Holy shit!

Attached: x_2018-11-11-20:35:21.png (1280x720, 973K)

>electron

why do people join and leave a few seconds later?
if you want irc to be nice and meaningful outside of rooms that are just constant streams of shitposting, you have to hangout for a while
most of us have servers that stay connected 24/7, you can't ever expect an immediate response
but if you hang out, someone will see it and start talking

circe > erc imo

It's long fucking dead, jim

pic related

Attached: irc_efnetgraph.png (897x287, 28K)

First one was right, retards. 213.

I havent seen a server without IP masking since 2001. I mean i'm sure theyre around (or were) but it's pretty damn rare.

Download quassel-core on a VPS, download quasselclient on your desktop, connect quasselclient to the core, connect to servers from there. No more issues with VPN, always have logs.

I've saved this guide for the day I want to invest time on trying to get IRC. Too much hassle for now.

>github.com/mayfrost/guides/blob/master/IRC.md

ZNC + hexchat best combo.

Forgot to add, I guess this is how you "get into IRC" nowadays.

can you get a sidebar with circe?

libpurple is garbage and you should be ashamed of your choice in xmpp/irc client

>no context
>two lines representing god knows what
>only efnet network
3/10, try harder faggot

it's emacs, so yeah probably. It may take somewhat more effort than erc if it's very simple in erc.

The reason I recommended circe is that it's just so much easier to get it just werk-ing with znc. I had some resistance when trying to use erc with znc. Also much saner defaults imo.

Bouncer + ZNC/Screen + irssi

OwO IRC newfag here. I hope ths thread gets to 300 replies.

Attached: Kamikaze_wall_tunnel.jpg (517x517, 83K)

I haven’t used IRC since fucking 2006, what did I miss?

Jow Forums channel is gay, I got banned for calling a mod a "furry faggot".

>Projecting

> >Projectingi

i told you, earlier in this thread. I got banned for making a penis joke.
Let me reiterate. I got banned from a Jow Forums chat for making a penis joke.
Yeah.

Attached: what a idiot.jpg (1500x625, 134K)