From the perspective of a non programmer, what's the point of using linux?

From the perspective of a non programmer, what's the point of using linux?

Attached: Lovely fellow.png (511x496, 155K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Mac Classic Platinum?content=144719
twitter.com/AnonBabble

free and jest werks (tm)
>n4 >just works

Everybody has different reasons. Personally, I like to be able to customise my system and fix stuff if it fucks up. When something breaks on Windows, usually your only option is to reinstall. It's also handy to be able to install software with a package manager.

You have an easily accessible Terminal that executes Unix commands without the need for a fruity OS

Incel loner trash that has nothing better to spend his time on but tinkering with Linsux and cleaning his flashlight with his tounge every night.

Whoops didn't see the non-programmer part.

To contribute your system information and upload crash reports.
Linux is not ready for the average desktop user. They would be better of sticking with Windows until Linux is more accessible.

to show off

It's free, gui decoupling minimizes overhead, better security, and bash is more user-friendly than command line.

installs in minutes on a used chinkpad
no searching for drivers
only updates when i tell it to
runs my bullshit normie programs (firefox/chrome spotify, disscord)
open sores alternatives to ms office or whaever is *good enough* for my use
free-as-in-no money spent by my poorfag ass

Attached: works_on_my_machine_mug.jpg (460x460, 21K)

fun and potentially looks cool

its free
then again, windows is effectively free too so it doesn't really matter. If you're a non coder there isn't a big reason

But openoffice doesn't work well for mapping old ass CRPG's

>he doesn't use libreoffice

no virus and freeware

libreoffice also isn't very good for mapping old wizardry games

makes me look like a hacker

>cleaning his flashlight with his tongue
what

it's not windows

He's a newfag on his phone

Does not spy on you like Windows, more resilient to malware, more resource efficient, actually customizable UI, never needs to restart for updates, never nags you about updates, no ads, never resets your settings.

>When something breaks on Windows, usually your only option is to reinstall.

When I see stuff like this I'm wondering, how do you break windows? Is there things you do that often Windows can't handle?

It is not get worse at the same rate as windows.

It's free as in beer (some as in freedom too if that's important to you)
It performs *notably* better on same hardware, respect to Windows.
Administration and customization of a linux machine is easier
Main distros works ootb

In 2018 there's no reason to use Windows, seriously, except for three(3) cases:
- Gaming
- Some piece of sw that is not yet ported to linux
- hw not supported

Malware, usually. I've also had the registry corrupt on me for some fucking reason

>how do you break windows?

when you let it updates itself

Gotta keep the glass of those old incandescent flashlights clean

Because I actually want control over my fucking hardware
Closed-source, non-free operating systems are fucking stupid
I really dont care if software is closed-source and non-free, but the fucking operating itself, the thing that gives you control over YOUR computer, absolutely should be free and open source

My computer works as intended and basically can browse the internet, watch videos and listen music without too much of a hassle. I won't bother talking about security because it seems like a relative thing but common sense and avoiding shady places has kept me without mayor issues.
Windows in the same hardware barely works.

what if I'm retarded

I like to tinker, and there are tons more knobs to play with on a Linux box.

Also, I taught my grandparents to use Debian stable. It really does just work. They used to ask for help fixing some malware bs all the time.

I guess being aware of not being tech savvy enough it's a good thing.
An old computer with xubuntu seems like good place to start, or a virtual machine.
Basically the installer it's graphic and the most delicate part will be the partitioning of the disk, once grub or whatever it's properly set it's just booting and adjusting it to your needs.

Computer illiterate people will think you're a 1337 h4x0r.
For companies it might be worth saving on license money ... but likely to backfire with all the extra support one would need to do.
If you're having a super horrible hardware, it might run better than Win 10 too, and is generally more secure due no one bothering to make malware for it.

Honestly I think the killer feature for Linux for normies is that the autocomplete search actually works. Searching for a program on Windows is just comically bad and it drove me INSANE.

Oh, and my disk usage isn't at 100 percent all the time anymore, so that's nice.

Attached: 1530294105588.jpg (2272x1704, 471K)

Linux is easier to use than Windows, by far

Wud da fugg?

linux is operating system that no need to reboot for long time:my phone.

Haven't rebooted my W10 desktop or FruitOS laptop in months either.

It is a good OS for personal use. You rice it like you like it, make it boot in 8 seconds, and then use for all of your 90% use cases, dual-booting into a stripped-down version of windows/osx that will run whatever OS-constrained stuff you need. Linux is your general computer use case, and other OSes are installed just to run software constrained to them, like games or photoshops, CADs etc. And quite a lot of the games are perfectly playable on wine, as are some photoshop or CAD versions...

Can someone explain to me what the appeal of tinkering is? Not being sarcastic, I just mean what sort of cool/interesting things can you get your OS to do by tinkering?

Its fun.

i dont doubt it, but arent you DOING things that somehow change how your OS works/looks/feels?

You can do almost anything. For example, I recently switched to a tiling window manager and love it. I don't think Windows is capable of tiling windows. I can choose what kernel I want to use. I can change the CPU scheduler. Users don't care about this sort of thing, but powerusers do.

The lowest tier stuff you can do is to make your OS look like classic comfy shit.

Attached: 144719-1.jpg (1280x1024, 128K)

Linux is a kernel, so the point is to run a system, I guess. Even non-programmers need kernels.

its not a broken botnet like windows.

>i am absolutely not interested in using any features that computers have after 1994

Can you please post the wallpaper.

This is sadly not my machine.. yet.

Attached: mac.jpg (1920x1080, 346K)

Well there it is.
Thanks user

>jpg
retard

xD

imagine being as retarded as this guy lol

bump

"whad caused dhe 'boblem"

>an image with literally 3 colors
>using jpg
you are cancer, please kys

if you're not a programmer, there's basically no reason to use linux, yes it's free and yada yada yada, all that other bullshit.

bottom line, if you're not pc literate to begin with and aren't scared of going thru config files and code, at some point you're just going to beat your head into the wall getting upset over linux.

ie: it's not for you, but if you're interested in learning about computers and enjoy a good head thumper from time to time, then it's fine, you don't necessarily need to be a programmer by any means, just willing to learn (which will likely lead to at least minor scripting at some point).

you're literally autistic and therefore Jow Forums cancer, checkmate

>Anyone not as retarded as me is autistic

Fuck dude, early mac is ultimate comfy. What distro / theme?

I barely know how to use computers, but I prefer linux because I prefer linux's problems over windows' or osx's problems

Found this
gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Mac Classic Platinum?content=144719

windows updates can also kill itself, Ive had windows 10 die on an old HDD of mien following an update (that I normally have perma-disabled) and on a friends HDD, again after a windows update. Windows does sometimes just kill itself.

Brainlet here. I have an old acer winblows 10 laptop that's on life support because of the latest update. I want to install a linux distro on it but I'm scared I'll break the laptop.
How do I do this without blowing up my laptop?

It is not going to break the laptop. Just make a bootable flash drive with a GNU/Linux distro. I think Windows users are told to use a program called Rufus because dd is not available. Then boot into it with the laptop.

If you don't enjoy tinkering for tinkering's sake you probably don't belong here

not him but I was wondering if its advantageous at all to run DBAN if i was replacing windows with insert linux distro here on my computer? would wiping my drive head to toe result in any improved performance going forward or is that software literally just for security's sake?

So that will replace the current OS with the Linux distro right? If so, will it erase the contents of my hard drive too?

Just for security. It won't make your drive access or write data any quicker. Just defrag the disk if you use a mechanical drive.
Some installers will let you re-partition your drive so you can keep your Windows install, but otherwise, yes, it will erase your files if they are on Windows.

Depends on how you install it, modern installers of all major distros can set up a dual boot with ease. The problem you could get is windows being weird with it's partition scheme, windows laptops that I convert usually have like 5-15 partition from the os, m$ and the vendor for reasons I don't understand because all that "backup" and "system restore" doesn't work anyways

>Can someone explain to me what the appeal of tinkering is?
Tinkering is what you do when you're not intelligent enough to commit to a practical interest
most blue collar people like to tinker with things
If you don't have the capacity to do anything productive like programming you can write small batch scripts or reinstall operating systems and it gives you a shallow sense of accomplishment like you've achieved something

the sad part of this post is that you're probably not even baiting, it's just that your projection is so pathetic that it's effectively bait, and I've bit
have this accomplishment for your sad, sad existence

Well it's the damnedest thing and I never thought I'd say this but with Proton my Windows games actually run better on Linux than Windows. Frame rates are higher on Deus Ex Human Rev and a weird issue I was having on Skyrim in Windows doesn't happen with Linux.

Very customisable. You’ll learn a lot using it and wonder how you ever managed with Windows etc. Using the command line is a level of comfy no windows user will experience. No spying on you. Have complete control over your system.

free and doesnt randomly update when the timing couldnt be worse, also the updates dont break the OS and delete your files.

none

best answer ever

2/10 made me reply

Even for gaming a whole lot of windows games run on linux easily with proton now. So it's really muh photoshop/vidoe editing software this point.