Is a 1080ti from a mining rig used for a year still dependable and for how long? How about from a render farm?

Is a 1080ti from a mining rig used for a year still dependable and for how long? How about from a render farm?

Attached: v7d9e01.jpg (3264x2448, 818K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cRtoRNk67Ro
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

People still do this?

Depends on the miner. DO you think that the miner kept good care of it, and shut it off every few hours out of the day, and does the hardware still have a usuable warranty for you just in case anything happens?

A card like that is just now broken in really if its only been a year and the miner halfway knew his shit.
A years worth of mining/rendering is a very ggod way to weed out all the weaklings

>assuming miners know/knew what they're doing
don't do that

>don't do that
Why? Every miner has to know what they where doing to mine. It's not like it's just mostly a bunch of no nothing faggots who hopped on to the craze for sake of chasing a few bucks.
Every miner probably took their time, and learned how to do things properly before they purchased, and powered on their rigs, right?

Can't be that retarded if they managed to keep GPUs from even hitting store selves for close to 2 years before gamers would even have a chance to purchase them at anywhere near MSRP

It's rare for the GPU board itself to die. What will most likely happen are that the fans won't work as well or they won't spin at all. In that case you can just replace the GPU fan.

I've never had the chance to get something RMA'd before and always wondered how warranty is transferred to a new owner. Are you supposed to depend on the good graces of the previous owner to have it processed for you or hope the company honors it?

Depends on the company. I've had good luck with Gigabytes, and bad luck with MSI, and first sale EVGA's.

Attached: worried.jpg (849x566, 72K)

Don't buy from Miners.

#1: Let those faggots suffer having to keep the hardware they scalped; Don't help their ROI
#2: A lot of miners were boomer/Early Millennials "businessmen" who don't know dick about running mass systems. They ran them too hot, too dusty, too long, all because they wanted to get a piece of a pie they saw ready to be taken. So their hardware suffered
#2a: Hardware run too hot for too long effects the ASIC quality, effects the power components, effects the Fans, effects the thermal compounds, and more.
#2b: Hardware run in poor conditions (damp garages, dusty closets, dirty floors of warehouses/storage areas) can have components that have been compromised due to interference from conductive dust/dirt/debris, causing them to have been building small "tin whiskers" at an accelerated pace
#2c: A lot of hardware was matched poorly, and run based on whatever hardware was available, resulting in damaging fluctuations caused by over-drawing 12v rails on inexpensive, high-output PSUs, and long bouts of over-amping by miners who over-clocked to try to achieve more performance
#3: Manufacturers during this time were scampering to assemble cards, and overall quality dropped during this time. In construction, and quality of components used (there was also a memory shortage during this time)
#4: No, seriously, let these faggots lie in the beds they made. Buy the cards at goodwill level prices, or buy new. Don't buy from them.

Guys miner here I came all over my graphics cards and sold them with the crusy cum all over the fans

>and shut it off every few hours out of the day
Thats the worst thing that he could do, you don't want the material to expand and contract due to temperature differences.

If gpu works at the same and sane temperature, probably undervolted there is literally nothing that could go wrong with it except factory fault and maybe the fan will need some love.

Buy from a guy that seems to be selling a lot of them along with other non-shit hardware so you'll know he was running a legit operation and not some boomermining fuckup. Also ask him for a picture of his cabinet.

I've been using a mining 1060 for a few months now, it's working just fine even though I leave the pc on 24h a day.
Apparently you can't mod the bios on nvidia cards like on amd to run out or specs so there's that too.

I've bought mining GPUs before. The boards work just fine, none of them showed artifacts or glaring problems. But the fan may be slower than normal or just suddenly fail after months or years of use. It's a easy fix though by just replacing the fans or adding some lubricant to the fan bearings.

Why are you so mad at miners?
They're helping us to solve the /v/ problem.

Don't be ignorant. A rig like that generates like $5 a day. If your electricity is cheap, it'll pay itself off in less than a year then it's all profit baby. I have one heating my apartment (which only has electric heat) so it's saving me from using my baseboard heaters as much.

Also I work at a miner hosting facility where we have hundreds of these, mostly closed case though, they're smaller and stack.

It's not THAT rare, dude. Happens quite a bit actually, especially if you don't adequately cool them. Actually it's pretty much only if you don't cool them. Most common problems IME are PSU, riser, motherboard/CPU, GPU, RAM, in that order

>What will most likely happen are that the fans won't work as well or they won't spin at all.
A vram module would probably shit the bed before the fans die completely, and for that all you need to do is email the whole fucking thing.

>$5 a day.
>pay itself off in less than a year
$5 * 365 = $1825
Where can you buy 6x 1080 Ti + motherboard + PSU for under $1825?

I imagine the fans would actually be in better state than from general use considering most of the wear happens during turning on/off.

>Most the wear
Doesn't most the wear come from heat? Like heat generated from the electricity that is going through it?

Okay, maybe not with brand new1080 ti's. But RX570's can be found on sale for like $150 and 8 of those makes about $4 a day. So I was kinda close.

Also, some people get their cards through the OEM supply chain. No fancy heatsinks, just regular blowers meant for server cases, but the price isn't inflated like the ones meant for the gaming market. You gotta order 10k at once though.

I don't know how heat affect wear, but start and stop giving more stress to moving parts than 24/7 uninterrupted work is a basic knowledge.

>I don't know how heat affect wear
Heat doesn't negatively affect electronics, or anything.

>farm?

youtube.com/watch?v=cRtoRNk67Ro

Attached: 14869281330300.jpg (680x878, 76K)