This is the greatest algorithms book

This is the greatest algorithms book

Attached: collid books_covers_0&isbn 9780262033848&type .jpg (420x475, 35K)

/thread

Well, that happened quicker than I expected.

I remember working out the clothes sorting algorithm by myself within a few minutes and feeling real proud of myself, good times

You expected what? A fight?

90% of CS freshmen do not understand the master theorem from the way it is presented in this book. Or maybe the data struct class after mine was just full of brainlets and I'm a brainlets too. In the end, some Pajeet explained it on YouTube and it finally clicked.

*blocks your path*

Attached: 410H2IHR3vL._SY429_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (500x431, 23K)

that aged well lol

I've honestly never read it, I was just shit posting to get other people to post their favorite algorithms book.

i was in college once too op

Jow Forums: the post

Long winded and needlessly convoluted. A mathematician could rewrite it in a quarter of the pages.

This is what I thought too. It's like he intentionally made it difficult to read.

They didn't write it for mathematics.

this is a great book, the only book that comes close is steven skiena's Algorithm Design Manual

We are using this one.
It's pretty good too, imo

Attached: 51oZjyrkQHL._SX339_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (341x499, 37K)

I've read this one. Pretty good, easy to read

kind of a waste of money.

I'm thinking of jumping into this after I've covered the C book. Hopefully both of those will set me up as a decent programmer, I'm completely self taught see.

And that would be useful for CS? CS != advanced mathematics.

He's a professor at my uni

I had the first edition of this instead. It was breddy gud.
(the exercise were kind of fun)

Attached: 615MSAW2RXL._SX391_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (393x499, 48K)

sbu? sup man, just graduated in may

i was supposed to have him for 373, but idk he took the semester off or something. Still had to read his textbook though. Had some minor interactions with him

He's a really cool dude, learned a lot from his book

>Algorithm Design Manual
I've heard this is a really good practical book, I'll have to check it out.
Aesthetic, I might have to look into this one.
Looks like Biblical stories for children, might just be my speed.

>Looks like Biblical stories for children, might just be my speed.
That's the wolf, sheep, cabbage problem (or fox, chicken, grain problem), a classic puzzle. You are a farmer and you have to carry across a wolf, sheep and cabbage across a river, intact. You can only take one at a time in your boat. How do you do it? (Wolf eats sheep, sheep eats cabbage)

Then in the image you also see the rings (how do you restack rings from one pole out of three to another pole).

The turtle and the scale also have something to do with puzzles, but I don't know which ones. Turtle might be from Xeno's paradox or the turtle and hare problem. The guy in the boat looks Chinese, maybe there's a Chinese/Confucian puzzle that has to do with scales and gold coins?

Out of:
which one for someone who is just learning C programming (to go into C++) and wants to mess around with Elixir and functional programming? I have a solid base in math (calc III, linear algebra, etc.) but also don't want to learn computer science, want to be a good programmer.

what are the prerequisites to read this book? calc 2 and linear algebra?

Meh, I'm a successful coder and I've never needed an "algorithm", I don't even know what the word means. Programming is just playing lego as an adult

ok webmonkey

Websites are bloated because of you.

did computers even exist when he wrote that book?

I took three classes using this book. Intro to grad level algs. We never finished this book.

Hey my algos class uses that! We're having fun with the p vs np proofs and such :^)

Attached: IMG_0001.png (680x538, 319K)

>implying computers have anything to do with algorithms

If you're into the math, this book starts (chapter 2) with a deep-dive into the math of O complexity, and uses it throughout the book. Highly recommended.

Attached: algodesignmanual.jpg (1130x1553, 239K)

Yep. Congrats dude. What do you do now if you don't mind me asking?
I just put off 373 for mad long but taking it next sem with someone else cuz I don't think he's teaching. It's my last year but gonna be doing extra sem