ARCH OR FEDORA?

arch or fedora?
I've been following Jow Forums and lately i'm a bit confused, which OS would be beneficial for all around Linux and security work?

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-10-04 17-41-08.png (472x462, 228K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/madmantm/
forensics.cert.org/#fedorasupport
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Every corporate network I've pentested that had a Linux backend was based around redhat/centos. I wound up moving my daily driver to CentOS just to force myself to follow updates in the community. Given that, if I had to chose between the two you posted, use Fedora.
I learned a lot when I first installed Arch. I learned considerably more installing gentoo. But go where your customers are if you want to make money. Kali is a meme for people who don't know how computers work and can't get tools running. Great way to learn more about the tools is to get them compiled on your distro.

yeah i totally agree, do you think IBM will screw up the whole Fedora distro or it will stay independent?

We have a large project based around openshift i'm worried IBM is going to fuck with... they've been pushing different technology with their in house cloud services.
I don't think they'll touch fedora for a few years. It's too valuable of a test bed for rhel updates. But I don't work for IBM- maybe they're gonna say 'fuck fedora only use bieber Linux now'.

you use centos as your daily driver for pentesting? must be pretty stable tho

fedora:
- literally just werks
- backed by red hat
- extremely stable

arch is a meme for neets

i know people in the pentesting community who swears only by arch, am i meme

I know like 2 guys that do, but more use parrot now, I think kali is going down the shitter due to stability. If you want to try something different, I know there's a fedora spin for security.

Yeah. Made my own RPMs for a bunch of tools so I can recreate it quickly for different hardware. Not the easiest path, but I got paid to do it. Honestly the only thing that was different from setting up the tools on gentoo or arch was getting wireless drivers that support arbitrary injection to compile against such a dated kernel. Had to fork 8812au.

My work friend used to be a maintainer for that fedora security distro. He might still be. Wasn't an idiot either.

arch for memes
fedora for comfyness

I switched from Arch to Fedora yesterday. Arch/Gentoo distros are great for getting familiar with Linux, but if you're not willing to put in a _lot_ of work setting up your system you will not get the same functionality that Fedora comes with out of the box. As for security, I wouldn't doubt a minimal Arch system is better than Fedora, but I'm not even really sure about that.

really interesting, are you currently using that setup?
I wish there was more "out of the box" tools in it (I'm just really lazy about making .rpms), but I have tried it and it really is a solid choice to learn on.

there's a guy who made an install script for most pentest tools on fedora, but i can't seem to recall it's on github.

github.com/madmantm/
This guy?

yeah it's a good toolkit

arch is so better user, you get the latest tools with the blackarch repo, and everything is stable, don't buy in to the commie b.s that org breaks everytime you do a pacman -Syu

nevermind I figured it out

what did you figure out ?

>Parrot is a GNU/Linux distribution based on Debian Testing
rofl

LOL nmap 2.7

Fedora, every single day.

Attached: 1524045011762.jpg (1355x788, 407K)

>I wouldn't doubt
>I'm not even really sure

that would've been a giveaway you're retarded if the rest of your post wasn't already

if anything fedora is a mich better 'get familiar' distro because if you break something you know for sure its whatever you did that broke it, not the some system instability or old mishap of yours

Fedora Fedora Fedora Fedora Fedora

Attached: serveimage(31).jpg (1320x1700, 234K)

what would you suggest then?

are you a blackhat?

fedora retard not only can you not type apparently you can't read neither

lol, i use arch faggot come at me

fedora you dip shit

ubuntu

haha ubuntu is spyware

so is fedora with it's NSA approved SELINUX!

hey dipshit you just have to disable it.

based

You know, not everything the NSA does is in malice. SELinux was created by them to protect themselves, and then they released it to everyone.

NICE TRY FBI MAN!

>not everything the NSA does is in malice.
Sup buddy how's the weather at virgin-ah?

Attached: tenor.gif (480x264, 3.37M)

Attached: 590.gif (280x207, 453K)

what a fucking tard, get the fuck out my board tard

>security agency bad

Attached: npc.png (416x435, 108K)

NSA vs GOOGLE?

Are you asking my opinion? The NSA collects much more data than Google, but it's less detailed. Not everything is as clear-cut as
>x bad
>y good
The NSA has done bad things but they've also done good things, like releasing SELinux.

fuck off NSATard

I should've known that voicing my balanced and fair views on Jow Forums, which is full of suspiciously security paranoid people, would get a reaction like this.

god this board has schizophrenia. imagine a professional or any functional adult thinking something OPEN SOURCE written by a National Security Agency is insecure. Like just read the source fucking retarded sperg subhuman piece of monkey shit

sorry archtard
this was meant to

they mad.

If you want a security focused daily driver, try Parrot. Kali if you're building a purpose built device. Arch is really only good on desktop if you want bleeding edge. If you want a server distro CentOS or possibly Ubuntu depending on the situation.

non ironically, hardened gentoo

apparently "unironically" is the new "literally"

GTFO underage turd

id rather stick with arch than using gentoo unironically.

desu I wish I lived on the future with firefox/gcc compilation times of 5 seconds. The I'd use Gentoo. Is the most based concept I've ever seen but I'm sticking with Fedora/Centos/rhel-Debian/ubuntu as needed now

use the source luke

There should be a distro that's a source/package hybrid. Compile the critical stuff like the kernel from source, use packages for unimportant shit.

gentoo > arch > ubuntu > fedora > void > kali > windows > centos > rhel > aix > reactOS > debian > lfs > bsd

what is better tho? can we convene that arch is better than everything?

>windows > bsd
You have no idea what you're talking about. Please leave Jow Forums.

I use Fedora and I can do everything Arch can, and my system is much more stable.

did your mother smoke during pregnancy? how can you spew retard shit like that son?

Fedora is not lean at all, talk about fucking bloat as a service, and it will be enforced by IBM

Please elaborate. Just because Arch launches you into a TTY by default, doesn't mean it's lightweight or unbloated.

take that back you son of a Hindu
my man gentoo is the best
don't kid yourself kid

Attached: Richard_Stallman_by_Anders_Brenna_01.jpg (3504x2336, 2.7M)

i'm done arguing with you senseless chuck

stop retard. You don't know how your system works because you installed following scripts from a wiki you didn't even read. As a matter of fact you don't even acknowledge how your packages come packaged with shit you don't need, even more bloat than ubuntu. The fact that it comes with nothing doesn't mean anything. When you install the same shit as ubuntu or debian like gnome, you end up with something even more bloated because how it is packaged. And notice how it has less packages, that means you can't decide what to install as everything will come whether you like it or no in the package of something you actually need. Fucking arch babys kys

how about you elaborate?

well well well, look who's mad, comparing distro's to window managers, i think you should step back the computer a bit son.

fucking this. Retards I swear. I bet is the first time they launch a tty but they never have setup a server from a text installer without braindead scripts like "arch-chroot"

Nah, burden of proof relies on the one making the claim.

he really mad boi!

takes one to know one.
how the heck did you learn? the wiki and scripts will help you understand how shit is done on the distro, stop fucking around.

I use fedora and installed arch on a netbook and now I know why they call it timesink OS.

claims scripts are gay, but having a text installer do everything for them is better.

*backdoors AUR packages*
wyd

Attached: 1507663892428.jpg (804x906, 83K)

AUR is optional faggot.

>i-it's optional!!
enjoy your pseudo-minimalist botnet

> you mad xD
> I can't read but I suppose it's bad, hurr text installer is cli installer
> arch wiki makes you learn the linux kernel, how would you otherwise?
> look who's mad hah
> oh so you are calling a fact? prove it though it's self proved
> now I say this is TFUE but I don't have to prove it, you have to do it

Use Arch.
When Arch breaks, it is because you fucked up.
When Fedora breaks, it is because RedHat/IBM is using you as free QA.

forensics.cert.org/#fedorasupport
there is also this for centos/red hat and fedora lads