I'm glad AMD is doing well with Ryzen and I'm pretty stoked for Zen2 next year...

I'm glad AMD is doing well with Ryzen and I'm pretty stoked for Zen2 next year, but when will mommy Lisa give the Radeon Group the kick in the butt that it needs?
Consuming more power than an RTX 2080 Ti while being outperformed by a 2070 is honestly pathetic. It also gives Nvidia little incentive to improve.

Attached: vega_more_like_failga.png (678x800, 75K)

Other urls found in this thread:

techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-rx-vega-64.c2871
techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-rtx-2080-ti.c3305
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Bump

Zen was many years in the making, and had many, many theories crafted about it's Arch before it was laid out and finalized. It's no wonder it's doing great.

Vega...was better in Theory. Its a great massively parallel number cruncher, but awful for gaming. AMD is taking big hits on GPUs because of their insistence on Vega's computational power, which doesn't always equate to gaming performance, unfortunately.

Well Pajeets and all that. Remember world super shitter by 2040!.

Attached: streetshitter.jpg (640x660, 67K)

> no incentive to improve
> 2080ti is literally twice as fast as a 1080ti in compute, deep learning and ray tracing workloads
I'm sorry it doesn't make your games faster, but it's a big improvement for people doing actual work.

Nevermind I figured it out

>when will mommy Lisa give the Radeon Group the kick in the butt that it needs?
They already got that when Raja Pooduri fucked off to join Intel.

>Vega's computational power
Raja Pajeet ruined the GPU department. GCN wasn't good in the first release, it isn't good now. His only project he oversaw begin to end hasn't even been released and he's fired.

Vega doesn't deserve all the hate it gets, poor developer implementation of GCN 5.0 and significant overvolting on most of the chips really makes it look bad.

techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-rx-vega-64.c2871
techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-rtx-2080-ti.c3305

Attached: Radeon-RX-Vega-64-Efficiency.png (1016x622, 32K)

Unfortunately im gonna say it was lisa or the board of execs. Funding was slashed on rti so considering what they had they did ok. It was neccassary though seeing that they had to one up either nvidia or intel to stay in the game, and nvidia is pretty hard to beat

It was mostly botched handling of any kind of AA beside CMAA, the architecture itself without AA or CMAA in gaymes performs exceptionally well.

Attached: Screenshot (1).png (320x196, 41K)

No one knows. The 7nm Vega didn't live up to any previous rumors, no 20TFLOPs, not even 17TFLOPs.
They touted 14.7TFLOPs single precision with 13.2 billion xtors.
Vega64 was 12.58 TFLOPs with with 12.5xtors.
This is such a fucking paltry uplift in performance its ridiculous. Unless this thing sips power its going to be a failure even for enterprise. Clocks went from 1536mhz to 1800mhz, just 264mhz increase, less than 18% uplift in frequency.
Whatever hardware fixes they baked in aren't going to be enough unless they gave it a completely different front end, which I doubt they'd waste the resources on.

The next time we may hear of it at all will likely be CES next year. Su said they're still aiming at competing in the top market segment, but I'm not hopeful.

Vega56 tackled the GTX 1070, and Vega64 could tackle the GTX 1080 in most things. Barring a few known outliers like GTA V AMD did decently well, Vega64 does hold its own against the 1080ti from time to time.
The issue is a reference card shouldn't need to be undervolted by the end user to get power consumption more in line with the competition.
The 2000 series cards made huge gains in a lot of metrics, and their perf/watt is dramatically higher. AMD will need one fucking incredible revamp of GCN to go from Vega to competing with the RTX 2000 cards.

She's the one who told Raja to dedicated all resources to semi-customs for Sony and MS. She might as well have said it herself. Hard at work on secret sauce for consoles baka... She's making it really clear she wants AMD to be predominantly a b2b company.

Think about it. Zen is designed for servers first and foremost and optimized around die costs. Vega's biggest features were 2x pro graphics performance and special features on HBCC, not very useful for games but very useful for compute and rendering, especially in conjunction with a ssd on-board like that pro ssg. And now vega optimized for ML and compute with no signs of a new consumer vega, just a measly refresh of poolaris. They're also phoning it in on APUs and dedicated Vega mobile came almost a year after Intel's Vega M on their G processors. Lisa doesnt care about PC gamers. She cares about partners, oems, and industries

Im willing to be bet the semi custom market is a majority of atis rev. Its an incredibly smart structure though. Cpus that can be spliced up so that the top end and budget are literally the same thing is epic. Theyre obviously trying to do the same with vega, and it works to some extent (workstation and budget stuff as well as apu) but just not on the absolute top end

They definitely need to desperately fix whatever the fuck is going on with AA handling.

Attached: bitmap.png (2576x1768, 281K)

GCN has always had a tough time with AA. Needs better ROP throughout. They told him to fix a uarch and were surprised when it couldn't be done

>Lisa doesnt care about PC gamers.
I don't blame AMD for not even trying. Even when AMD released better chips than NVIDIA (for example HD 5000 series vs. GeForce 400 series), they still sold less.

NVIDIA mindshare is real.

This. AMD graphics cards will always be inferior until they can release a GPU computing library like nvidia for people who do real work.

AMD graphics cards are almost exclusively used by gaymurrs now since anyone who has to use GPU computing for work is more or less forced to use Nvidia.

what kind of loser buys gaymer branded cards for work? can you not afford a quadro or a tesla?

The rma20 series cards dont work though

>Even when AMD released better chips than NVIDIA (for example HD 5000 series vs. GeForce 400 series), they still sold less.
Actually that era was when they were almost neck and neck. ATI had around 40% of the market which was no small feat for a company that struggled with mediocre releases like the HD2k and 3k series. Meanwhile nvidia had the mid-range king with the 8800GT