How do I defeat consumerist urges in me?

How do I defeat consumerist urges in me?

>have decent laptop
>want to upgrade
>have decent phone
>want to upgrade
>have decent tv
>want to upgrade

I know a few of you have been using tech that's still working great despite it being years older. What's your secret?

Attached: serveimage.jpg (1867x1199, 659K)

Updates are not always upgrades.

We are just poor asses that dont have money, thats our secret

>get the urge to upgrade my pc
>remember that my current specs are plenty for the things i do
>urge disappears

ez

Chronic laziness combined with keeping the vast majority of my money banked away. I've been using the same laptop for five years now and it can barely run seven tabs of Firefox without melting and has needed its power cord replaced as well as a broken internal wi-fi adapter requiring an external adapter to be attached to its USB which quits functioning the moment you lookt at it wrong, as well as a broken optical disc reader and screen that occasionally flickers if you tilt it wrong.

Start trying to create things instead. Look for problems in your life and try to solve them. Build a desk. Streamline your setup. etc etc.

Just get a ThinkPad

>Be me
>Get a Lenovo S110 laptop for 300$
>Swear to god that you will never touch lenovo again

seriously, it a fucking oven, the second you turn it on it smells like burnt plastic

>not a thinkpad
>netbook
you deserve this.

I knew a farmer that constantly worried about money but was well off. He finally adopted the stance of if he was down $600 then he'd imagine a cow died and grieve for it.
I think grief is a healthy thing. Grieve for your time, If you lose two weeks wages on electronics think of how tired you would be after working that much. Why not take that time off to relax instead of buying the item and being forced to use it to justify the expense?

>What's your secret?
dunno. I just postpone buying stuff, and most of the time, the "need" vanishes.
>2016: some things don't really work anymore with BBOS
>hm, maybe I should get me some new phone
>fuck that, the thing is only 2 years old!
>Christmas 2017: Fucks up and only flashes some error messages when trying to reboot
>hm, maybe I should get some new phone
>it comes back and works flawlessly (WTF was that?) and all new phones suck anyways, plus, it's only 3 years old
>fast forward to 5 weeks ago: The only "modern" app I really need doesn't work anymore with BBOS android 4 emulator
>hm, Now I should really get some new phone
>Everything sucks and is overprized as hell
>Today I phinally ordered a refurbished iphone SE

And my thinkpad X1 (piece of crap…) really needs a new keyboard since, like 1 year, but you can't get a new keyboard due to the retarded >muh thinn!!! design, so I just deal with it.

>NUKE

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 12K)

>laptop
>phone
>tv
All of those things are made by literal slaves in china. If you keep buying them from them and supporting that attitude, you will end up in that factory eventually. Is this what you really want?

>steve cutts
That fucker will whine about anything. Let's not forget his "WE LIVE IN A SOCIETY" video.

>have a laptop with nividia 950m 4gb
>Intel i7 4720HQ
>I remember it can run any new GAYMES
>can run ps3 games smoothly on rpcs3
Why would I even bother upgrade ?
>have s7 edge
>only problem is edge
>can take any shit like hurd
>can decode 10bit
>can play any goym on high and ultra high
>have Toshiba external 1tb USB 3
>moving big data between computers
>no bad sectors at all after a year
Dude , if you're gonna buy any device
Make sure it last on you 5 year

>Didn't buy a refurb x220 for half that with an SSD

>have $DEVICE
>want to upgrade
>what would I do with something new instead of my $DEVICE?
>if nothing different: don't upgrade, your use case is already covered
>else evaluate your needs, you might actually benefit from something new
Basically, don't buy things you won't use.

Has noone told you yet? Install gentoo

George said:

“You know we are on a wrong track altogether. We must not think of the things we could do with, but only of the things that we can’t do without.”

George comes out really quite sensible at times. You’d be surprised. I call that downright wisdom, not merely as regards the present case, but with reference to our trip up the river of life, generally. How many people, on that voyage, load up the boat till it is ever in danger of swamping with a store of foolish things which they think essential to the pleasure and comfort of the trip, but which are really only useless lumber.

How they pile the poor little craft mast-high with fine clothes and big houses; with useless servants, and a host of swell friends that do not care twopence for them, and that they do not care three ha’pence for; with expensive entertainments that nobody enjoys, with formalities and fashions, with pretence and ostentation, and with – oh, heaviest, maddest lumber of all! – the dread of what will my neighbour think, with luxuries that only cloy, with pleasures that bore, with empty show that, like the criminal’s iron crown of yore, makes to bleed and swoon the aching head that wears it!

It is lumber, man – all lumber! Throw it overboard. It makes the boat so heavy to pull, you nearly faint at the oars. It makes it so cumbersome and dangerous to manage, you never know a moment’s freedom from anxiety and care, never gain a moment’s rest for dreamy laziness – no time to watch the windy shadows skimming lightly o’er the shallows, or the glittering sunbeams flitting in and out among the ripples, or the great trees by the margin looking down at their own image, or the woods all green and golden, or the lilies white and yellow, or the sombre- waving rushes, or the sedges, or the orchis, or the blue forget-me-nots.

Idk, I never really have the urge to buy things in the first place. Maybe the electric jew and advertisements are brainwashing you or something?

Throw the lumber over, man! Let your boat of life be light, packed with only what you need – a homely home and simple pleasures, one or two friends, worth the name, someone to love and someone to love you, a cat, a dog, and a pipe or two, enough to eat and enough to wear, and a little more than enough to drink; for thirst is a dangerous thing.

You will find the boat easier to pull then, and it will not be so liable to upset, and it will not matter so much if it does upset; good, plain merchandise will stand water. You will have time to think as well as to work. Time to drink in life’s sunshine – time to listen to the AEolian music that the wind of God draws from the human heart-strings around us – time to -

I beg your pardon, really. I quite forgot.

--

Three Men in a Boat, Jerome K. Jerome.

I send my paychecks into an investment brokerage before I fall for the temptation of buying something I don't need, leaving only enough in my bank account for food and rent.

Pick out aspects you like in your current stuff and compare them to newer products you are considering. Many times I omit upgrading just because the newer stuff feels inferior and has different properties, or missing features.

I'm 14 and this is deep.

the thrill of seeing my bank account slowly grow is all i need. i will take my money to the afterlife.

>What's your secret?
I'm autistic and don't like change.

I like having bigger numbers in my portfolio instead of new niggetech.
>t. not poor and still rocking an s5 and x220 because they do what I need without wasting my time or money
Also
>tv
>current year
Only proles watch TV anymore.

Run out of money.

You don't. Capitalism has just moved past its peak, and it's only downhill from here. Pray that there will still be an Earth by the time it ends.

I feel you. I legit have no need for a laptop at all but still want to buy one anyway

when you realize none of that shit actually makes you happy?

Just upgrade. Buy nice things and hold onto them for very long. Moores Law is slowing down so you will be able to get many more years out of anything you buy now. Just wait until Zen 2 drops for PC, HDMI 2.1 is available for TVs, and buy the new samsung or iphone with 7nm chip now. All these products will last a solid decade

I care more about my net worth not dropping than I do about my toys. Being a cheap fuck has its benefits.

I run adblockers and use site block to block sites that feature products that appeal to me. Do not let the advertising jew into your brain, user.

reviews generally if I can find a flaw in something then its easy to convince myself to not buy it
notebookcheck is a favorite of mine

>had okay 2013 gaming computa no SSD
>it died, replaced with APU, 1x 8GB but included an SSD
>gaymanning performance sucks ass but general usability is unchanged
>have convinced myself to wait till 2019 for new GPUs before starting new build and because of disgusting RAM prices

its impossible for a normie retard to stop being a consumerist cuck. just keep paying up to the jews retard il take your old stuff off you for a fraction the price you payed. thank you normies!

Install debian stable.

this

Attached: 1541871450099.png (1082x695, 503K)

Your problem isn't one of tech, but is a problem in your will. Not willpower or whatever, I mean will in the classical philosophical sense.

If it is not enough to remind yourself that what you have is fine for your purposes, and you are truly committed to reforming your will to be happier with what you have, then you may have to do something more drastic. One of the things you could do is downgrade - to make it harder to do the things you use your technology to do, and learn to appreciate your downgraded state. I did this with my smartphone, I exchanged it for a dumb phone and I'm happier with that.
Another solution would be a temporary absence from the technology. Perhaps, for a week, you don't use your phone at all and have your friend keep it at his house for you. It's hard, but once you get it back, you'll be so much more thankful for the phone than you are now.

I defeated those urges when I realized that getting new shit doesn't have the same thrill as overcoming challenges and it's just more STUFF I have to worry about. I also bitterly remember the stuff I bought when I should have been buying Bitcoin and stock