Digital radio

Digital radio is a fucking meme. Eventually, normies are going to realize this, and it will fail. Analog radio is superior in every way.

My analog portable radio runs on two AA batteries. Even when using non-alkaline batteries, they last for *two fucking years*. My digital portable of the same brand burns three of them *every week*.

An analog AM signal can travel 2000km. I literally receive almost a dozen signals from the UK every night -*in Spain*. Good luck trying to do this with a digital signal that shits itself 50 km away from the transmitter.

European governments are forcing people to buy digital radios. Some have even stopped analog transmissions altogether. People have had to replace the radios in their cars. The FM receivers on their mobile phones don't work anymore. Imagine their reaction when they bought their expensive digital radios, turn them on, and realized that the audio quality of these transmissions *is actually worse than the standard FM quality*. In the UK, they are using DAB, a format that is 20 years old and uses fucking mp2 files.Yes, mp2, that's not a typo. They plan to introduce DAB+ to improve audio quality... And people are going to have to buy another radio to be able to receive it. All in order to be able to come *close* to standard FM audio quality.

If you like digital radio, you are GAY.

Attached: radio.jpg (300x180, 17K)

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.org/download/RNZI9890kHzRA9580kHz21June140955Z/RNZI-9890kHz-RA-9580kHz-21June14-0955Z.mp3
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Burn your mobile phone, angry spaniard.

Imagine being angry at broadcasting of the digital variety

First of all, why aren’t you using rechargable batteries? If your radio can’t take lithium ion, then at least buy some eneloops

More inportantly, who the fuck still listens to radio? Nothing but old racists spouting conservative propaganda all day.

>Burn your mobile phone
My cell phone has a 3000 mAh battery, and I have to charge it after three hours of screen time.

If I powered an analog radio with that battery, it would last more than 1000 hours of continual use.

I'm glad yurop decided to take the lead on this bullshit. I'm sure sooner or later it'll come to America too but by then you'll have worked out all the issues.
Digital broadcasting is harmful.
picrel

Attached: zoomer.gif (652x562, 626K)

I used to listen to France Inter on the longwave band every day outside of France. The LW band is like a second AM band we have here in Europe for high-powered domestic broadcasts.

A year or so ago, frogs decided to shut it down. FUCKING FAGGOTS.

Wow, it's almost like phone have other features than producing sound, that drain out your battery faster.

who the fuck listens to the radio?

Then why should I need to use a cell phone to listen to the radio, wasting an obscene amount of energy and data, if I can use a 10-dollar radio to receive over-the-air transmissions?

what are you listening to on the radio? there is nothing good. i guess you like advertisments because thats 60% of what is on radios these days

just listen to the radio on the internet retard

Attached: gas the zoomers.jpg (704x904, 138K)

you'd have to be an actual boomer to listen to the radio, not even a 30 year old boomer
actually no even my mom knows how to use the internet

I usually listen to the public stations of some different countries on the three different AM bands (MW/LW/SW). When I work I usually have the BBC, Radio France Internationale or RAI on the background. I don't usually listen to music, but there are some radio stations with stereo sound here that don't seem to have more than a minute or so of ads every hour.

Just curious, why are you using a battery powered radio? Can’t you just plug your radio into an outlet? What is your use case?

Radio is still very relevant. I listen to the college radio in my city all the time. Lots of good low-key stations all over the country.

Main stream radio sucks ass though. Same 20 songs on loop all day.

>why are you using a battery powered radio? Can’t you just plug your radio into an outlet?
Yes, but the outlet produces some interference, and when you are listening to a broadcast from another country the signal is weak, so you need to make sure you don't add additional noise. Decent multiband radios nowadays are not much bigger than a cell phone, so I carry one with me everywhere.

> My analog portable radio runs on two AA batteries. Even when using non-alkaline batteries, they last for *two fucking years*. My digital portable of the same brand burns three of them *every week*.
Why would someone lie on the internets like that ?
Also I don't know how someone can praise AM for broadcasting. I literally was never able to get anything audible with AM in my life, pretty much anywhere in France.
> They plan to introduce DAB+ to improve audio quality... And people are going to have to buy another radio to be able to receive it
Dude, DAB+ is implemented in digital radios since many years. My 6yo analog/digital radio has DAB+. Digital radios with DAB but not DAB+ are uncommon.

> France Inter
Patrician taste

Attached: 1092762-capture.jpg.png (960x526, 401K)

NEET detected

Hey grandpa how did you figure out how to use the internet? Does the hospice hve wifi?

I'm literally 25 and if you would live in the social world you would realize that people have cars, and those cars have a radio. Now please explain how your brain came up with the thought that radio was not a widely used and immensely valuable media industry that is increasing in profit year after year, even in this digital age.

It's time to reconnect with the world, user.

Attached: wut.jpg (300x185, 15K)

>I don't know how someone can praise AM for broadcasting. I literally was never able to get anything audible with AM in my life, pretty much anywhere in France
Then you were not using it well.

First of all, you need a decent radio. Not necessarily an expensive one, just one that is well designed. Nowadays, the people that design radios don't give a shit about AM, so they make shitty antennas. But a $20 Tecsun is enough to get decent sensitivity.

Then you need to place it far from devices that cause interference. If you are a zoomer, you are probably going to put your radio in front of your computer. If you do that, the only thing you are going to hear is a buzz.

You also need to rotate the radio until you find the strongest angle to get that signal. Some people don't even know that the antenna used for AM is located inside the receiver.

I cannot understand how you never heard anything, but I can listen to Bretagne 5 in southern Spain without much of an issue. That's a radio station located like 1000 km away. Granted, I live in a suburban area and I use a nice loop antenna like pic related, but still.

Attached: TecAN100.jpg (1200x900, 94K)

what kind if boomer crap is this? just ise spotify like everyone else

“Interference” lol how old school! Its much easier to wifi a livestream and not have to worry about all that crap

>increasing in profit year after year
that sounds like delusion
video killed radio, the internet is dancing on its corpse

Ok, I didn't know one needed to do that to get AM. I'll try it asap. How do you avoid the « the radio works only when I touch it » situation ?

>How do you avoid the « the radio works only when I touch it » situation ?
I don't think that happens with AM radio. Essentially, when you touch the radio, your feet are touching the ground, so you are acting like a giant antenna. But that usually happens with FM or SW. In fact, when you do this listening to AM, the signal usually gets worse.

why would you listen to radio in the era of the internet?

Nope, we need to stop using obscene ammounts of bandwith to transmit classic rock and boomer talk shows.

It really bothers me that OTA's being replaced with streaming. Just imagine how much identical content is being streamed individually to each user as opposed to OTA's one "stream" for anyone who wants it

Multicast streaming will save us.

It blows my mind that there are people paying a monthly fee to stream the same shit that is played on FM radio over and over again. Some time ago, I remember stumbling upon a website in which people paid just to be able to listen to a dozen of fucking streams of music. It's like if zoomers didn't even know that radio exists.

its almost as if it's better to listen to something you like personally instead of everyone listening to the same shit
are you brain damaged

>More inportantly, who the fuck still listens to radio?
People who go outside like
Me 20yo @work mostly but also in transit and just randomly other times. I listen to music not garbage political bullshit because I don't want to kill all my high speed streaming everyday or my sanity. Mix of new and old songs, did you know that Warren G and Nate Dogg had to regulate or that Drake only loves his bed and his mom and he's sorry? I bet you didn't.

Samsung and AT&T are working on bringing satellite television to phones so that'll be a neat change. I mean you'll have to pay for it but still. Meanwhile Japan's got (or at least had) phones that receive OTA television

I'm talking about stuff people like personally

Online radio has better quality, and sounds better on my system.

AM radio/FM radio analog style is okay but the clarity isn't the best.

Attached: DSC_1743.jpg (2160x1998, 1.09M)

>It's time to reconnect with the world, user.
>*posts picture of a sexual predator*

Just use Spotify or Beats radio. It's available everywhere with internet coverage.

>Digital radio is a fucking meme. Eventually, normies are going to realize this, and it will fail. Analog radio is superior in every way.

Personalized internet streaming radio and podcasts are the future.

My crystal radio lasts until the fucking heat death of the universe, get on my level.

And it receives, what, three stations?

A lot of that is concentration, but I totally believe it. Radio has a captive audience in drivers. I hate fucking with my phone to get what I want when I can just cycle through my stored stations to find something I can enjoy.

Streaming is a meme.

This user gets it.

people are always going to like a more personalized experience instead of a few radio stations for everyone playing popular shit

Man if only there was a way to keep music on your person. Wait, everyone already carries a device with such functionality.

thats not radio

NPCs

I never said it was. I'm not arguing pro radio, I'm arguing against streaming.

Digital stuff isn't terrible in concept.

I've heard a clear digital stereo signal sent over shortwave sent from thousands of miles using DRM radio. The error correction made it audibly clearer than any transmission on any AM mode of the same specs.

The DAB/+ standards they use in Europe? They allow for a bunch of transmitters to be on the same frequency depending on the guard interval. With the right error correction planning it's practically impervious to multipath conditions and unaffected by all but the most obscene of interference.

This is really helpful in mountainous conditions or in cities. Listening to DAB in your car driving through Norway these days, you might be listening to a signal of three different transmitters all performing constructive interference. If the same three were using FM, you'd be on different frequencies and they'd all cut in and out depending on their varying footprints.

In the 90s/early 00s when digital radio development was at its peak, they even conducted satellite tests of the same technology. They managed to go 1300km with only a single dropout.

That being said. It's not all good.
Broadcasters get to set bitrates and the sort, and in many parts of the world they would rather shove in four stations at 64kbit/s than one or two with decent audio. The problem with digital radio is that it's *too* flexible. And don't get me started on the American HD Radio standards. Transmission and receiving HD Radio requires you to send a massive check to a single company that has all the patents.

If you're curious about the whole DRM thing? Here is an example. The first hour is DRM digital shortwave from New Zealand, the second is AM shortwave from Australia. Specs roughly the same for the transmissions.
archive.org/download/RNZI9890kHzRA9580kHz21June140955Z/RNZI-9890kHz-RA-9580kHz-21June14-0955Z.mp3