4k HDR tv nonsense

i have an old ass tv, and have decided its time to take the 4k leap. problem is im so behind the times that i have no idea what to look for.

as far as i can tell, i know i want antenna input capabilities and RCA audio output for stereo systems, but aside from that, what other features should i look for, and manufacturers to consider?

rn all i do is play some xbox, and watch movies, but wouldnt mind also occassionally using it for PC games and all that shit. these new lg tvs have wiimote remotes, and built in apps and all this shit. its mindboggling.

these fkn tvs look badass, i tell you hwat

Attached: D9C182F1-4ADF-4A3E-B151-2402D39D074E.jpg (601x339, 60K)

Other urls found in this thread:

4kmedia.org/real-or-fake-4k/
amazon.com/dp/B079TSV16M/?tag=dislag-20
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

100hz panel
full led backlit
android OS

I am selling SONY stuff as a part-time job and their TVs aren't bad, especially xf8596

Old timer to be completely honest with you, 4K televisions aren't worth it yet. Due to the way video works, "4K" is actually 1080p and "1080p" is actually 540p. To get full use out of a 4K HDR screen you actually need 8K HDR content which virtually does not exist. Hell half the 4K movies are there were shot in 1080p ot 2K and then upscaled to 4K badly.

So get one if you want but know the content for it won't be here for a while.

Get a sony x900f

how long is a while?

am looking to futureproof this thing, as itll be financed for a while.

any opinions on oled vs trad led? havent ever had an oled display so am not certain on long term issues, but i do like that i can get true blacks, though i suppose it also wont be quite as bright, which can be an issue as my living can be quite bright sometimes.

curved vs flat? Any info and opinions?

any oled will suffer from ghosting in ~5 years of regular use

cheaper oleds even sooner

curved is a meme

>4K is actually 1080p
>(3840 x 2160) is actually (1920 x 1080)
nigga what the fuck is you talkin about

Chroma sub sampling, even blu-ray video uses 4:2:0. The only way to get full chroma is to view it on a screen a quarter the size of the advertised resolution. This is literally why 1080p laptops have 4K video decoding support and why phones record "4K" video.

In the very early days nobody would be able to tell due to poor color reproduction and 240p-480p resolution of screens. But now that TVs have extremely high contrast ratios with oled and 4K resolution, it's now very noticeable.

Attached: Colorcomp.jpg (1236x616, 212K)

Just double checked, yes 4K is a quarter of 8K res.

Attached: 720px-Resolution_of_SD,_Full_HD,_4K_Ultra_HD_&_8K_Ultra_HD.svg.png (720x405, 15K)

>4k movies where shot on 1080p
Nigger you dumb as fuck

Hard to say. Get oled definitely, curved vs flat is more of a preference.

I'm personally waiting until 2020 to see if more 8K content starts to come out.

He's delusional, because by his logic, 1080p isn't actually 1080p either since ALL distributed media is 4:2:0.

What about projectors these days? Are budget ones good enough today?
They have strong room limitations unfortunately

It's a sad truth user.

Correct but chroma sub sampling has been very effective at cutting the file size by half and not being very noticeable at all. The contrast ratio of oled or even amoled displays in tablets makes this significantly noticeable. I would love to see a source disproving me.

Attached: oled-laptop-graph-display-contrast-ratio-1375x917 (1).png (1375x917, 32K)

He's right...

4kmedia.org/real-or-fake-4k/

FUCK

Attached: 1497992980948.gif (600x338, 350K)

>The contrast ratio of oled or even amoled displays in tablets makes this significantly noticeable. I would love to see a source disproving me.
If you're frame peeping, sure, maybe.

But, no, not at normal viewing distances and playback framerate.

But since 1080p is actually 540p, then 4k is STILL a massive improvement over 1080p.

Your argument holds no water.

Again a source for that would be wholesomely appreciated.

Attached: image.jpg (1024x300, 52K)

Nigger, watch it yourself. There is no source needed.

You picked the wrong place to ask. If there's one piece of technology this board is consistently more utterly clueless about than any other, it's TVs. See this very thread for examples, with people recommending you shitty, mid-range Sony LCDs and actually selling you their garbage AndroidTV implementation as a positive.

Abandon this thread immediately and ask at either AVForums or AVSForum. You'll get much better advice.

>any oled will suffer from ghosting in ~5 years of regular use
Factually untrue and only somebody who doesn't know how "ghosting" (lol) is caused on OLED panels.
>cheaper oleds even sooner
All consumer OLED TVs use the exact same LG panel, you dumb hick.

Attached: Lao.jpg (807x659, 42K)

Never denied that, "4K" video on a 1080p screen looks amazing compared to "1080p" video on the same 1080p screen.

The problem then becomes: you NEED "8K" video to get the best experience on a 4K screen.

not a very valid scientific objective source, is it?

You're a retard mate.
If 4k is 1080p, and 1080p is 540p, then obviously I'll still want the 4k, even if it's not "true" 4k as you call it.

Since i've never seen "true" 1080p, and you haven't either, it's not like you're exactly missing anything you're used to.

>The problem then becomes: you NEED "8K" video to get the best experience on a 4K screen.
So you just bought a 1080p TV then?

Since before now there was no 4k content, so you would NEED 4k to watch 1080p. Should I assume you've had an SD TV for the past decade?

sony > all
this guy knows what's up

>sony > all
at the pro level maybe, but certainly not at the consumer level.

>financed
check this goy out

I've been watching "4K" movies actually shot it 4K on my Tab S3 scaled to 50% for a while now.

>sd vs ULTRA TURBO FULL SHEKEL HD(tm)

>shot with muh arri at 4k
>hey lets use 2k intermediate because it's faster and we're jews.

So you're an autistic moron and everyone should just ignore your opinion? Good to know.

gimme that sweet sweet tech NOW

That happens a lot actually. ARRI Alexas used to shoot at 2K. Those movies are all upscaled to get a 4K render. Even today, many movies don't really shoot at native 4K

Its not as much as it was a year ago, generally it's 50/50 these days of true 4k and "fake"' 4k.

Star Wars Attack of the Clones was shot in less than 1080p digitally. If they had shot it on film like the previous movie they could scan it to 4K. It will never, ever be full HD let alone 4K.

Guardians of the Galaxy was shot on 8K EPIC RED cameras. But the effects were made in 2K and the entire movie was processed as 2K because studios are cheap fucks.

I am still waiting for a 4K CGI movie. Pretty much all of them are 2K masters. I think The Smurfs 2 may have 4K CGI elements in it but more than likely they were rendered at 2K.

4K is a meme.

HDR on the other hand has potential but we need to move beyond 10 bit since it still exhbitis banding on gradations. Contrast is far more important than resolution. OLED is perfect for this but suffers from burn in issues on some content even though I never had this issue on my 2 year old LG OLED55B6V.

BTW some HDR displays are using 8bit to 10 bit dithering which is complete shit.

hdr is exactly why im going to swallow the 4kpill.

is it worth getting the dolby hdr, vs just hdr10?

Get something that supports both if you can although I heard DV is not as punchy as HDR. But that might be a good thing. Getting rid of shitty gradations in color should be top prioty IMHO. I fucking hate it when you can see stripey blooms on lights in the dark etc. 8bit needs to die and 10bit is just a stop gap to 12 bit and beyond.

Oh and don't get me started on things like motion and interpolation.

Unironically look at response times. not hertz rates. Hertz is nice but it doesn't matter a dick if you plan on gaming and get a 40ms response. You want a sub 15ms for games.

this is the one I bought.
amazon.com/dp/B079TSV16M/?tag=dislag-20

It has a 12ms and you can't tell the difference between a regular monitor and the tv response times.

That's fine if you want a cheap HDR gaming display. For movies and mixed content viewing OLED wins hands down. I think only the FAL LED from SOny is the only display that can compete. Samsung QLED is just LED backlitt LCD with a fancy filter. Not true QLED (where every pixel is its own light source).
There is a lot of shennanigans in the TV and movie industry.

OLED is great and I love it. At the same time, if you're willing to shell out 1200 bucks for a tv with low response times and OLED meanwhile a regular one is 350 without OLED. Just very expensive to get it.

So, 4p is actually 1p.
Makes sense to me.

Attached: 1500219351498.png (451x619, 392K)

I'm glad you understand. CSS was a mistake.

Shit so this means my 8 inch cock is really only 4 inches, damn,

>caring about Smart TV implementation
fuck off, npc

Avoid android tv at all costs. The HDR implementation is utter trash

The Samsung Q6 is pretty good imo, no burn in problems, 4K HDR, Tizen I'd a good interface. Gets bright as fuck too.

Attached: au-qledtv-q6f-55inch-65inch-qa55q6famwxxy-titaniumgray-Dynamic1-85650793.jpg (892x684, 77K)

why doesn't analog->4k fit your requirements?

Wait until you find about blu-ray chink toons. I died inside when I got my chobits collection in blu-ray.

Attached: 1518670365104.png (642x300, 418K)

its gotten better

>now everything is poorly vectorised
h-ha-ha yeah man, who cares about hand drawn artistic works of art anymore haha

Attached: Michael-Scott-Sad-Face-Funny-Picture.jpg (982x1024, 67K)

I just meant the bluray quality has improved, blame the studios who give projects shoe string budgets.

Most of the handdrawn shit is great though if they bother to rescan the source. Its the early digital series blu rays you gotta watch out for. All upscaled trash

Very true!

if you have doubts, go to rtings.com.
there have a lot of reviews and.
For sure you will choose one that fits better in both: your pocket and comfort

what size?

samsung 8009
sony 9005
lg b8
sony af8

depending on how much you want to spend

perfect blacks, high quality color reproduction >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> resolution

True, but you’re not gonna get those first three without the last one. All sub-4K panels are cheap trashu nowadays.

4k is a meme.

Attached: 1542038544744.jpg (354x354, 15K)

Listen to those guys.