Was this peak MacOS?

Was this peak MacOS?

Attached: panther.png (1920x1080, 1.97M)

*sip*

Attached: 30.jpg (485x297, 29K)

Apple is gay.

Attached: frog.jpg (2000x2000, 489K)

Aesthetically

that would be 10.4

Yes. It had actual texture and character, unlike all modern bland smoked glass shit we get. MacOS had a way more distinct look back then.
And it was more usable because Apple was actually worried about both substance and style in their hardware. Nowadays they put thinness over usability.

Attached: macos-Mojave-screenshots-Capture-Selection-002.jpg (1440x900, 127K)

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug

lmao, that looks like some noname lunix shell

unironically yes.
as much as i enjoy a well-thought out flat interface this is just beautiful.

>year 2025
>log into mac with facecam 3d emoji icon
>install is default chinese language
>icons are all IOS design
>rainbow glass semi transparent menus
>3d monkey emoji helper bot in upper left corner spamming chinese text asking if you need help
>preloaded apple apps are sketchy software that loads in chinese language default
>click itunes, already loaded with garbage chinese mobile apps ready to be transferred to iphone

It was 10.4 or possibly 10.5. Tiger introduced spotlight and leopard time machine. Snow leopard barely counted as a release and then it was all downhill after that.

>Snow leopard barely counted as a release
Snow Leopard had tons of great features despite being a "no-feature" release.

But it dropped support for the only good architecture.

10.3 was a bit too early. You probably want 10.4, though IMO 10.8-9 were the best

No, but Aqua was peak UI.

As much as I hate Apple, everything you wrote sounds like Android/ChromeOS/Fuchsia

Yes, although 10.6 is fine too.

Yes we need to praise Aqua more

Attached: aqua.gif (220x132, 34K)

PPC was in the same place then as Intel is now.

based aqua poster

10.3 and 10.6 equally.
Honorable mention to 10.5 for having the most compatibility with almost everything at the time.

>baby duck syndrome
I got into computers with this OS too but even now I see the things that needed improvement (and were too). It's not perfect. Look at 10.4, it had Spotlight, that shit is essential to macOS.

How do you mean?

Nah OSX really has been getting better with each release. The only thing that's regressed a bit has been tighting security in Safari making various legacy plugins/extensions not work.

I don't like the brushed aluminum look but the white textured areas (top bar and About This Mac window) are god tier.

It annoys me that the trashbin is photorealistic but the camera in the picture application looks like wordart.

transparent/blurry top bar and menus are a mistake. it doesn't look good and make it harder to read stuff.

>somebody got over 100k/year to design this

Unable to deliver meaningful improvements to their CPU lineup for multiple years.

If you installed ShapeShifter you could literally skin it any way you wanted and still have the consistency of aqua in every app, including third party ones.

>dropped UFS support
>dropped Classic mode
>dropped PowerPC support
>replaced the software update utility with the App Store
>dropped Rosetta
>ruined Disk Utility
>added Gatekeeper

I guess. x86 has been stagnant for at least the past 5 years. But the problem with PPC was that IBM couldn't lower power consumption, not that they could not improve performance.

Well when you're in a laptop not being able to lower power consumption is equivalent to not being able to improve performance.

>tfw PA Semi fixed the issue but the Intel transition was already in the works

They could have just made the laptops thicker.

This is Apple.

Mavericks was bretty gud.

Disk Utility being broken is the only thing that really makes me angry

pretty much 10.4 yeah, from there it all went down hill.

Mavericks is the best OS

When I first saw the downgrade I was shocked. Then again, most of the time you can do stuff with mount and dd.

diskutil and hdiutil help as well

What did they do to Disk Utility? I haven't used OS X beyond Mountain Lion.

Here's the new UI for partitioning a disk

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-11-13 at 12.30.29.png (932x565, 110K)

It was shit in El Capitan through High Sierra. In Mojave it actually works and has as much features, if not more as the original Disk Utility.

No, Mojave is

God I love those buttons.

works on my machine

Attached: Screenshot 2018-11-13 at 21.46.47.png (277x512, 161K)

10.3 kino
10.4. ABSOLUTE kino
10.6. an acquired taste
everything after that was shit. SHIT

Yosemite made macOS look good. Everything before that is absolute fisher price that even xp looks better.

well i give you that

I'm running 10.9.5 right now. I plan to stick with it till the programs I need are no longer supported.

Skeumorphism was the last bastion of implicit Steve Jobness

I also have an hackintosh build running Mavericks but I'm wondering if it's still safe. Hackintoshing is a pita and I don't want to bork a working build.

I'm running it on an early 2008 20 inch iMac I only use for light gaming, movie watching, and general fucking around. Besides, I have a separate smoothwall setup, so I've nary a fuck to give.

Flat design is the modernist architecture of software design. Some 2smart4u faggots thought that they're too good for classic detailed UI, so stripping everything of its form and leaving only simplistic dull shapes behind is the only way forward. Because why the fuck would humans want anything nice looking when we can have all function and no form?

Attached: 003.jpg (3264x2448, 3M)

Everybody knows OS X was a steaming pile of shit until Tiger came out.
>Not using the fastest Power Macintosh G3 on Earth to shitpost on a Thailandese shoe-making tabloid

Attached: Also runs OS 9.png (1600x1200, 587K)

>fagOS

Attached: 1517128390492.png (400x1650, 367K)

peak mac os was when they
>supported vulkan
>had support for decent filesystems
>had a functioning package manager built-in
>relied on unix fundamentals and philosophy and not just as a bragging point in their advertisements
>didn't have xml in their fucking init system, I mean come the hell on
oh wait, none of that has ever been the case. peak mac os hasn't happened yet because it's still a steaming pile of shit.

MACTODDLERS BTFO

Attached: 1530667497714.png (228x260, 139K)

Yosemite doesn't look good, it simply matches trending design of today. I'd take 10.3's UI over this load of shit any day.

Attached: Mac OS X Panther.jpg (1024x768, 122K)

But intel can't lower power consumption not increase the performance

>these stripes
stop, even default xfce looks better than this

The pinstripes are the best part

Perfection

Attached: the_future_of_smartphones.jpg (920x613, 29K)

>it's a mactoddler subhuman thinks he or his faggot fruit toys will ever belong on Jow Forums

Attached: 1528674387356.gif (360x346, 170K)

>fastest g3
>post a g4

Yes. It's a Power Macintosh G3 beige with a Sonnet Ecore /ZIF G4 1GHz CPU upgrade, the fastest ever made for such a machine.

Attached: Huge ElectronBlue is huge.jpg (4592x3056, 2.62M)

The model's a Power Macintosh G3; it's been upgraded with an aftermarket G4 processor. Even with this new processor, it's still a Power Macintosh G3.

>Even with this new processor, it's still a Power Macintosh G3
Its an Intel Core i3 upgraded to an Intel i7, but it's still an i3

No, the computer model is a Power Macintosh G3. It doesn't become a Power Macintosh G4 after the upgrade, the Power Mac G4 is an entirely different machine. It becomes a Power Macintosh G3 with a G4 upgrade.
>comparing G3 and G4 to i3 and i7
The Gs are processor generations, the i's are models within a generation. Imagine if Dell had a laptop called the Dell Nehalem, and it had a Nehalem processor. If you upgrade that processor to a Sandy Bridge one, the laptop model doesn't suddenly become a Dell Sandy Bridge.

If you upgrade your ThinkPad T60 from a Core Duo to a Core 2 Duo, does it become a T61? No. Thus a Power Macintosh G3 with a G4 CPU is still a Power Macintosh G3.

We are comparing computer models, not CPUs.

Leopard/Snow Leopard were peak OSX

10.4 Tiger was the best OS they ever produced.

Attached: Picture 1.png (1920x1080, 1.67M)

You could buy a T60 with a Core 2 Duo. If the computer was called "ThinkPad Core Duo" your argument would make more sense.

I like modernist architecture...

>praises shiny ui
>uses wallpaper that goes with today's design

can someone post the webm of some guy crashing all the apple devices connected to his network?

Attached: 1519211631346.webm (1080x606, 598K)

what.. what's happening here? sauce?

it's funny how everything gets to shit once a new generation of "designers" who didn't learn the shit themselves but visited some shitty university that's infested with cultural marxism came into the workforce. same with games. games before university degree game designers were all about fun. now they're about engagement. go figure. it's almost as if leftists are just bad at everything they try

Back to .
If it were left to you inbred sisterfucking rednecks, the only things that would exist is Bible Verse Typing Adventure Online.

the OS is much more than it's window manager you MONG

I was very fond of 10.5.
10.6 didn't do anything for me because I still had a spinning disk drive and all the 'omg snow leppard is soooo fast' retards had a SSD. for me 10.6 will be always remembered as the slow OS X.
10.5 was fine on a spinning disk

Attached: Macintosh_System_7.5.3_screenshot.png (640x480, 9K)

what a kevin

>there's only full retard commies and full retard bible thumpers
>there's nothing inbetween
wow bay area fag detected

It sends a command to crash the system. Every system has ways to crash it easily for development purposes.

wow thanks for that detailed technical explanation, grandpa.

>Every system has ways to crash it easily for development purposes.

Attached: 1531433090764.jpg (714x512, 39K)

10.5 was actually pretty alright. The only reason I rank it behind 10.4 is because of the eye candy (and increased system requirements to accommodate it).

10.4 hit that balance of aesthetic yet lean. Just enough to get your software running and nothing more.

back to Can't wait for Bay Are to turn into detroit after China takes over everything but your shitty social media companies

10.4*

Attached: osxtan.jpg (1600x1200, 434K)

That's not 10.6.8

based

yep snow leopard was my favorite
leopard was garbage, and tiger was decent

Hey, I used that as a pape on the G3(G4) for a while.

Attached: G3(G4).png (1152x870, 682K)

useless goddess, useless OS

>Panther
Yup, best OS.

Attached: 21284-best-persona-5-wallpaper-3000x1688-4k.jpg (3000x1688, 589K)

She does have one use...

Attached: 1532479303844.jpg (226x223, 10K)