Newfag here, what's the best distro to use after switching from windows?

newfag here, what's the best distro to use after switching from windows?

Attached: image0.jpg (528x480, 58K)

Other urls found in this thread:

sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

honestly? ubuntu

but if that's just *too* basic for you, consider the following (listed in descending order of beginner friendliness, though all of these are user friendly distros and you should be able to find your way about them without too much trouble) :

* Mint
* Alternate Ubuntu flavors
* Solus
* Fedora
* OpenSuse
* KDE Neon

If Ubuntu does not appeal and you feel like jumping into Linux via an alternate route, then research and consider the respective features and merits of these operating systems to reach your judgement. One of the good things about Linux and FLOSS (Free Software) is that you are not forced into making choices; instead the information is available for you to make the specific choice that suits your needs and preferences.

Macos

Trisquel.

Linux Mint. It's even easier to use than Ubuntu.
There's even a guide to Linux Mint for retards: sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/

Attached: 1541051383917.png (377x330, 6K)

I agree with Ubuntu. It is probably the most user-friendly thing in terms of Linux distros. Anything Debian-based will work fine, too, as both Ubuntu and Debian use .deb as their package format.

Linux Mint.
Ubuntu is shit since they switched to Gnome.

Anything with KDE. Windows 10 UI is a copy of it, among other things.

>there was an attempt

Attached: 8B834BF8-6410-464E-98D1-084C4E98B56C.png (450x338, 185K)

this
I suggest Kubuntu

Linux mint, it's cinnamon interface is a lot like windows.

Avoid Gnome like the plague (Ubuntu 17.10 and later), it's the worst garbage in Desktop environments.

congrats Jow Forums for not being ironic.

isnt neon just a kubuntu but with never kde applications?

something kde or l/xubuntu

>ctrl + f "gentoo"
>0 results found

Attached: 19znwe.jpg (900x900, 59K)

I still find that picture attractive

>newfag here, what's the best distro to use after switching from windows?
Devuan

Just use windows if you want something like windows.

or use zorin os.

Install gentoo.

Trikillingyourself

so elpmet

>1.raw Ubuntu
>2.figure out how to use the UI && some CLI
>2b. basically live in it until you feel accustomed to nuances
>2c. learn how to make a NAS and cold storage copies of data+configs+images. hold on to them for next step.
>2d. really go bonkers and try everything. add a new DE, try cli utilities, install icecat, learn git, play with PPAs, learn VIM and TMUX, install plugins for vim, try a minimal WM only desktop setup, make it work and full featured, use KVM and attempt IOMMU passthroughs. This step will take a long time, backups will be your safety net.
>2e. DOCUMENT EVERYTHING for yourself and other people
>2g. at the end of it you'll KNOW what distro you'll want to try next
>3. port /home and try next distro
>4. repeat step 3 every 2 years
welcome to the club, remember to keep backups (GOOGLE ALL THE IMPORTANT STUFF TO BACKUP) and keep tinkering!

Is this the revival of the long-gone /wsr/ meme?

Hannah Montana Linux or MacOS

Attached: 1425374628173.jpg (299x301, 13K)

Arch user here, why didn't you include arch linux user?

install gentoo

Squidward Tentacles Linux

Mint.
Ubuntu is the othe option, but mint is more rounded and probably easier.
Cinnamon or mate, doesnt mind.

I went from windows to fedora to openBSD. You can go straight to OpenBSD. It's not that hard when you install and configure gnome.

lurk moar faggot

I wanna be able to recommend KDE Neon, but their software manager (Discover) is being maintained by some noob who hasn't fixed major bugs in a good long time.

There’s still Apper, which is included by default last time I checked.

> software manager (Discover)
I'd prefer running an apt-get update script once in a while. Discover is weird, tells me there are updates after I installed them all.

But we're trying to recommend an out of the box experience. Needing to replace the defaults right away defeats that purpose. I currently use Neon and just update from the command line.

it sucks

Debian + KDE or XFCE

Arch is a meme.

INSTALL Q4OS

Attached: snapshot1.png (1366x768, 692K)

Ubuntu is LITERAL Windows-like Linux.
Mint is Ubuntu 2.0.
ReactOS is Windows-like that's NOT Linux, but it's own thing. However, ReactOS is still too immature to be used by general audience on an everyday non-scientific basis. It IS the future AND an actual killer of Windows, though.

Basically, it goes like this:
If you want Windows-like that's SOMEWHAT FINE (but NOT) perfect right now, nowadays, go with Ubuntu or Mint.
If you want LITERAL Windows killer, go ReactOS, but only ~10 years from now.

i use arch btw

Attached: 1516354539682.png (512x512, 51K)

Ubuntu MATE

balance of speed and usability ootb

Fucking Mint shills.
Mint is a fucking bloat and another fucking UI with a "philosophy".
NO!
Also, they steal code from Ubuntu.

Arch

Attached: jQuery.png (1024x874, 48K)

+1 for Arch with I3wm

Slackware. Fuck all of these dumb niggers giving you the worst advice of your life. Stick with something stable if you want something that actually works.