Jow Forums its been some time but I have a fun topic. get creative with me?

Jow Forums its been some time but I have a fun topic. get creative with me?

so I have a PHAT Ps3 console, and as usual it has sounded like a engine since 2011. Knowing this I had the thermal paste reapplied and no changes were made.

I also ended up purchasing a external fan the plugs into one of the USB adapters on the front.

Some people online suggest replacing the internal fans to larger blades... even a larger count of blades. With so many choices I have researched converting the console instead.

Converting the console to a Tower PC and being able to game on it would seem to hold its longevity.

Any thoughts? How can I make this happen? I have attached a link to a similar build idea

youtube.com/watch?v=otsbXDGtUdQ

Am I in over my head? or can it be done?!

image: relevant console

Attached: ps3_phat.jpg (600x450, 21K)

Other urls found in this thread:

assemblergames.com/threads/tutorial-run-ps3-off-360-psu.49642/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

tl;dr?

pretty dumb bro, just let it die and have a backup slim for $50

Your model is prone to overheating so i would create a bigger case for it

Get an evo 212 and some duct tape.

You have to unironically delid its CPU and GPU, they used thermal paste between the silicon and IHS on the older models, it has to be replaced after all those years. Look it up, the GPU is easy to do, but the CPU is kinda a nightmare.

The reason I have not gotten the slim is beach I want to hold on to the console backwards compatibility without having to virtually download games for cost.

Would it make more sense to just convert the console? I have this idea that it would be a much cleaner console in a PC Tower, or is that some dumb idea.

There's a few things that only fat PS3's can do, like ripping SACDs, but for playing PS3 games getting a slim one is the best idea

Is there any way to mod a recent one for playing pirated games?

Yes there is even for latest and greatest firmware

How? (without having to buy one of the kits)

Or you could just remount the guts in an mATX case with some extra drives for your cracked library, then swap out when you want to play over PSN.

Attached: Bij Guy 4 U.jpg (259x194, 7K)

Delid your CPU and GPU and apply some higher end paste. It's not hard.
Make a huge hole into the bottom, just the size of the round fan. Throw the USB fan thingy into the trash, they are useless.

Your fan will never go over 28% while the temperatures will always be under 60C.
Pic related, recent PS3 I did this to after 20 minutes of gaming (NFS MW I think, just for testing).

Attached: ps3playing.png (285x118, 7K)

Google is your friend m8

You're on Jow Forums, why don't you check out ?

>beach

Newest firmware, yes but not the latter models. Basically you still need a PS3 that could go down to jailbreakable firmware even with the new jailbreak. All FATs are covered by it though so that's not a problem for OP.

OP here, the advice is great to either stick with the current console and mod it... and to throw it in a tower it seems.... any thoughts to the tower approach?

Thanks kind anons, I have an old super slim doing nothing under my bed. I'll try the ps3xploit method tomorrow and maybe give some more live to that old kicker.

blessed quints

Fuck all that, install a custom firmware and pirate and play backups fromhd.

Get a slim (can get one for 50$ off of craigslsit) and use that for legit online gaming.

Unless you're really ready to dedicate time and money into the project, don't bother, it's gonna be a ghetto shit build like the video in the original post, just jailbreak the console and also fix it's thermals.

Re apply the thermal paste, and oil the fans.
For some reason this console is dust magnet, try cleaning it.
Is it modded?

Do compare the cost (in money and time) of doing this vs picking up a PS4.

Owner of the OG PS2 compatible phat here.

You need to delid in order to get the temps down. Both the CPU and GPU use TIM under their heat spreaders which would have likely dried up at this point and is causing bad heat transfer to the heatsink.

Delid and use some NH-T1, should last for the lifetime of the console.

Then install a large SSD/HDD for cheap and crack it and download all the pirated PS1/2/3 classics you could ever need.

> How can I make this happen?
Not an easy task since PS3 isn't ATX-compatible.
BTW, yes, get a slim if you can, you'll get YLOD on a FAT anyway.

This is a fun project to do that helps thermals a bit for pretty cheap.

assemblergames.com/threads/tutorial-run-ps3-off-360-psu.49642/

While you could do all that, I'd just recommend getting a slim console instead.

>BTW, yes, get a slim if you can, you'll get YLOD on a FAT anyway.
Nah, case modded, delidded and repasted with proper paste FAT will easily run a decade to come without sounding like a jet (like a slim does). If you're hardcore PS3 faggot, you'll get a reball with proper solder, because the latter FATs with new fab are the best PS3's there are.

you might have to take the IHS off the chips. there is a second layer of thermal paste there which might have gone very bad by now.

it's a pretty difficult procedure, so i recommend having a professional do it.

> like a slim does
Huh?
The only time I heard Slim fans at 100% is when I installed Iris manager .

OP here, thanks for the recommendations. I wish I was much more hardware savvy then I believed. but reapplying thermal etc... I'm afraid to ruin this console.

like I said, I originally purchased it, and got the YLOD only to have paste reapplied. My hopes are to either swap the external shell or just do the mods on the shell. I'm leaning towards the swap of the shell since it would be more a universal gaming console if that even could happen.

No. Not latest.
Only up to 4.82; 4.83 has one of the vulnerabilities patched out.

Attached: 1541782744821.jpg (745x726, 74K)

>Not an easy task since PS3 isn't ATX-compatible.
Not sure about fats but slim motherboards are pretty straight forward.

Attached: y9Z9j55.jpg (3840x2160, 1.05M)

Be like Jevil. You can do anything.

You may need to do some fabrication to mount the hardware in a real case, but it can absolutely be done.