You can now run full ARMx86 Linux on Dex

>You can now run full ARMx86 Linux on Dex

Why did I not opt for the 512GB Note 9!?

Attached: 1_rwWMirhEosAfaBnkWOwBpg.png (988x1114, 53K)

ARM64*

What is the purpose of this image?

what exactly is a safe area

it's an area away from toxic people like you, shitlord.

If you can afford a Note 9, you can afford a better notebook than doesn't run some shitty ARM CPU.

/thread

The point of this sort of thing is portability and traveling lighter, not saving money.

It uses a dock that you hook up to a mouse, keyboard, and monitor. That's not exactly "portable". With a notebook you can work literally anywhere, with this, you can only work where there's a station set up for you.

Can you use it on a tiny screen without keyboard or mouse?

No, the point of DeX is so you can use your phone on a bigger screen with a keyboard and mouse. It's nothing new, it just normally runs Android applications in a desktop-like environment.
You've been able to do what you're asking for on any phone for a long time though using something like Linux Deploy. As someone who has played around with it though, it's a fucking terrible experience, which is why Samsung is doing it the way they are.

JUST a heads up OP: performance was never going to be good. Even the highest end apple A12X CPU doesn't actually have a lot of performance when compared to a 15W raven ridge CPU. ARM has a ton of good hardware acceleration for encoding/decoding video/images and encryption but it's still very lacking in FP64 sustained throughput. Mobile chips like these are limited to a maximum TDP of 4-5 watts and given the poor performance/watt of ARM compared to even zen 1, it means you're actually getting worse performance than if a AMD made a zen 1 5W tdp chip to begin with. This is why you won't see ARM in the top super computer list anytime soon. At BEST you can expect performance on par with low end sandy bridge laptop i3 and even then you won't be able to sustain that performance anyway.

Attached: 716.jpg (662x393, 34K)

so it runs natively?

>highest end apple A12X CPU doesn't actually have a lot of performance when compared to a 15W raven ridge CPU
B-but the benchmarks show it matches a mobile i7

Obviously if you put a button outside the safe area users are going to find it near impossible to press it as it'll be obscured by the home button or the notch.

Meh right now I run Linux on an ivy bridge 3337u with 4GB of RAM and aside from quad HD YouTube it runs like a dream.

I'll test it out on my 128GB note and report back.

It uses a chroot environment.

Linux is a kernel. It is also used in Android.

To be fair modern ARM HW acceleration is really good for the milliwatt power draw. Decoding VP9/HEVC video uses less than 1 watt which is on par with lte/wifi power consumption. Even modern x86 ISA doesn't have that kind of HW decoding energy efficiency and most older processors have no HW decoding at all for HEVC/VP9.

You can run a full x86 Linux emulator on iOS who cares?

This isn't emulation, linux will run directly on the metal.

Android can do the same, but no matter what OS you have it's still the sort of performance you expect from Bochs running on a low end PC.

>Traveling lighter
Laptop in a bag on your back.
Take it on the plane as carry-on luggage.
If you can't manage the weight of a laptop you should spend your money on something that won't make you so weak.

An iPhone won't hook up to a monitor and peripherals perfectly while keeping the phoneOS running.

If this gets good enough it might be worth buying the HP laptop shell.

Performance, x86 emulation on ARM is dogshit slow.

No carry on bag is more convenient than laptop bag

I can confirm this. I've switched to a modern mid-range phone and it's kind of stunning that I can sit there playing back an HEVC 1080p episode of weebshit and go through only enough battery to keep the screen on while I'm watching when that would've pretty noticeably run down my old flagship device. Modern ARM is damn impressive for what it is, but it needs a great big 'FOR WHAT IT IS' hanging over it.

You have to have the whole fucking dock thing for it to work.
Putting electronics in your checked baggage is generally a poor idea.

So if you're going to have some sort of small carry on bag, which is also useful for carrying snacks/book/water onto the airplane, might as well get a real laptop that is a full real PC.

That is the magic about phones. Since they're generally replaced every 2 years or so, modern things can be implemented in hardware which really helps speed and power consumption.

It also makes the 'last year's flagship v current year midrange' argument a lot spicier than it is with most hardware, because often the slightly newer chip will have similar performance but much better power and heat efficiency for it.

Yeah it can be a super hard choice.
I've been very satisfied with my S8, but there are pros and cons to each side.

Last year's flagship will likely have a huge userbase with lots of support in the form of software and accessories, but it will be used, battery worn, no warranty, etc.
New midrange will be brand new and have fresh components and warranty, but will have a much lower market share and you can run into unaddressed bugs that don't get fixed.

The Note 9 doesn't need a dock, just the HDMI to USB C. You can use the phone on screen keyboard and touchpad if you have to. Or use Bluetooth.