C++ / Is it worth learning in 2018?

general C++ thread. (pic related)

Attached: fuckthisguy.png (768x564, 552K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JfmTagWcqoE
harmful.cat-v.org/software/c /I_did_it_for_you_all
mitpress.mit.edu/books/introduction-algorithms-third-edition
tiobe.com/tiobe-index/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

learn C instead, I making $9K/M and get laid everyday

learn java I got a $5/hour job offer

Hah. I find it funny how people who are only tangentially related to the tech field throw recommendations to people like they were some kind of experts.

I'm learning pointer lol
spent like 10 days on this page it's so boring

Bruh if you don't know any programming C++ might be too advanced for you honestly. Python is way easier and better for beginners. That being said C++ is far from being dead.

>t. japan minister of cyber security

I'm planning on learning C at some point, but my hands are sort of tied with this C++ stuff as the company I work for is trying to start a project in computer vision.

It's true Java and Android Studio got me nowhere, but it is sort of cool to be able to make your own apps.

Are you talking about the thumbnail from that god-awful youtube video. The dude literally goes on a tangent the entire video that begins with him disqualifying himself as any sort of worthy opinion on the subject

C++ is getting easier to write and use every release

I've been coding for a while, but following more of a C# .Net pathway, I've reached a deadend as a Unity Developer and want to strengthen my portfolio with projects that don't rely on Unity or Unreal. Are there any materials you could point me towards that are good for intermediate programmers, but C++ beginners. I'm compiling my .cpp files right now with cmake visual studio 2017 and working with opencv

Well honestly I have no idea what would help you more, since you're the one who has to decide what career path you wanna take. However since you already know some graphics programming (with Unity). I don't think it'd be a far stretch to get more in depth with it and check out openGL + GLSL. Look up the Orange book and Marshner.

>t's true Java and Android Studio got me nowhere
being this retarded.

If you want to ACTUALLY learn C++ you gotta learn the details. And there's lots of them.
Watch cppcon videos like
youtube.com/watch?v=JfmTagWcqoE
or get a C++ 11 reference book and try to research all the concepts you don't understand until you can understand everything the speaker is talking about.
Then practice and maybe reading some open source codebases and researching things you don't understand.
If you just want to hack something together and say you know C++ when you don't then just watch/read some tutorials or whatever.

Reminder to always use the .cc extension. .cpp and .cxx are for plebs

You are the problem with the tech field.

I think C++ is a shrinking job market.

How much C should I know to be employable? It seems to me there isn't much to learn in the language itself. I know pointers, dynamic allocation, structures, I have a basic overview of C memory modeI, I use valgrind / address sanitizer for memory leaks... What else? Networking? Multithreading?

Multithreading would be nice thing to add onto your list.

This isn't so much a pain in the ass as it is with the headers.
>C++ header
>Header for C++ source code
>Which is intended to interface with other C++ code
>As opposed to interfacing with C code (and everything therein)
>Should use .hpp or some variation thereof
>Nah nigga fuck that shit we'll just leave it .h haha cniles btfo amirite fellow epic fornite coders??????

Attached: 1522640695800.gif (480x270, 1.09M)

That guy always sounds like he has zero skills.

Yeah, if he did I'm pretty sure if he did, he would be rich and not making tons of clickbait programming youtube videos to survive

I use ,cc AND .h

>start learning C, quit after people tell me you wont get a job in it unless you do some computer related science
>people start hyping C up again
im so confused right now

Attached: 1540839180502.png (559x484, 24K)

I'm confused by what you're saying. C and C++ have always been invaluable. Are you saying you don't have a formal CS education and that's why you stopped?

>don't have a formal CS education
yes, but im trying to self-teach, and programming in this fashion is really hard - since all the youtub tutorials already presuppose you know everything about programming and only explain the syntax of C or literal implementations without explaining what the fuck is happening and why (this is really detrimental, most videos dont explain the idea behind classes/methods/headers etc etc....)
but the reason i chose C was because of its low-level nature and its seemed interesting until i found that high-level languages do literally everything that C would do (on a hobbyist level atleast) and getting a job that actually implements C instead of high level languages or even C++ /C# without a CS esq. degree is useless and fruitless
thanks for reading my blog

Get a good book on algorithms and data structures and you're probably good to go. CS is a meme degree. Nowadays people don't care so much about degrees, just have some good projects, apply, and get your foot in the door. Once you get some experience at work it won't really matter much if you have a degree or not unless you're working at a Google or something like that.

harmful.cat-v.org/software/c /I_did_it_for_you_all

Attached: 1540548258133.jpg (1036x919, 190K)

>It's true Java and Android Studio got me nowhere
you're a pajeet or something then bc its honestly pretty ez to find a job with java

Know any good books ?
IT/Computer science related meme shit isnt my endgame, i fucking hate the consumerist and pseud culture around tech ... but i still want to get into compsci because it would help me bolster a resume and give me credits to get into a degree that i really want to get into (which has fuck all to do with computers) i just want to learn programming to be considered compitent and be able to support myself, but with constant misinformation on Jow Forums and youtube its hard to figure out what is useful and useless information (for example SICP meme)

mitpress.mit.edu/books/introduction-algorithms-third-edition
this is all you need senpai, get that plus a good reference book for your language of choice.

For C get K&R, C++ has A Tour of Modern C++

>but with constant misinformation on Jow Forums and youtube its hard to figure out what is useful and useless information

The things people say here are almost never completely wrong, people just hype their own languages or the way they learnt programming.
You have to build a picture from those data points.
In my experience very few things are complete garbage, you can follow almost any mainstream advice and you will at least learn something as long as you don't close your eyes to new things.
The safe way is to learn a very mainstream language, the data structures and algorithms, using mainstream books, there is nothing wrong with that.
If you don't know any programming yet I would suggest one of the common imperative languages, Java. C#, C++, Python, but other ways are also viable.

>Is one of the top 5 languages in the modern world worth learning?
Idk dude probably better off learning ADA instead.
tiobe.com/tiobe-index/

Ada actually became pretty beginner friendly in the past decade or so. Cepples did too, and is fast, but Ada is qt.

Guess which language is being used inside of google and facebook and amazon for performance sensitive projects or anything that doesn't have to do with being an SRE?

Yeah that's neat but good luck getting hired anywhere if ADA is all you have on your resume.
Unless of course the place is still running desktops on CRTs, then you're probably set.

Unsurprisingly, a language developed and mandated by the government in the 80s is still in heavy use in government. It's not quite COBOL but the legacy is eternal.

ok thanks, but i still dont understand why learn C specifically

Good luck with that, I'd rather not be restricted to being a government dog because I was afraid of learning new things.
Remember you don't have to progress, everyone else will regardless.

Noone says you have to learn C.

lol, i mean why learn C over things like C++ or Py

You HAVE to learn C and then never ever ever use it. If you don't understand why C was a mistake you'll contniue abusing software.

You will learn most of C just by interacting with its grandkids (c++, c#, java) anyways.
It's much easier to go from an OOP language to C than vice versa.

but the problem is most c++ jobs are not greenfield projects thus you cant use the latest standard. most of the c++ projects are maintenance mode and written way before c++11

I can give you reasons for C, but almost no language is really better than others, it's what you want to do and what you like.
C has very few rules, very few constructs, which makes it very logical. It's close to the hardware and with mainstream compilers you can even easily throw in some assembly code if you need to.
Other langauges have more constructs, which makes some things super easy to do but they don't have the same clarity as C. C is like building a house with perfectly square bricks, while higher level languages can feel like you can use a crane to drop all 4 walls into the fundament, only to struggle for 2 days and thinking about how you will fit the roof onto that.
But in the end imo just learn any mainstream language. Imperative languages are all similar to a high degree, you can later think about the finer details.

Personally I would also rather start with those languages. I think they are good middle ground. Highly popular and well established. I would not start with something like Rust, and I would not start with the other end of the spectrum like C or older languages. But I think C is still OK, not the best choice for a beginner but OK if he really likes it.

fuck java, but like 70% of jobs are for java devs, u gotta actually try to get somewhere to get somewhere

There's lots of acceptable JVM languages though, lots of wiggle room.

There are a few. Java 7 is the classic. Java 8 introduced some bloat but I can live with that. The next major Java release will probably be acceptable too.

There is zero reason to start a new project in C in 2018. You are crippling yourself.

This desu.

Yes there is. C is an extremely prevalent language in open source, and there are a lot of talented C programmers out there.
By choosing to write something in C, you're tapping into that potential pool of contributors.
It also has the added bonus of keeping retarded programmers out (i.e. sepplesfags).

who in their right mind would start an open source project

>and there are a lot of talented C programmers out there.
Cniles actually believe this.

I know quite a few.

You will learn C++ if you need to learn C++.

underrated

Attached: CP2077_Sun.png (330x319, 178K)