Speakers

>speakers
>mechanical keyboard
how and why do people do this

Attached: mech.jpg (980x620, 80K)

Other urls found in this thread:

audiorecovery.com/blog/do-headphones-increase-your-risk-hearing-loss
noiseandhealth.org/article.asp?issn=1463-1741;year=2003;volume=5;issue=19;spage=69;epage=73;aulast=Williams
medicine.stonybrookmedicine.edu/surgery/blog/headphones-and-earphones-can-cause-permanent-hearing-loss-what-you-need-to-know
industrialnoisecontrol.com/comparative-noise-examples.htm
synapse.koreamed.org/search.php?where=aview&id=10.3349/ymj.2009.50.6.771&code=0069YMJ&vmode=FULL#F7
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Prolonged headphone use will deteriorate your hearing at at much higher pace.
You won’t notice due to the gradualness of the affect but its happening.

Speakers help reduce and resolve that.

I don’t fucking care about the keyboard, who cares.

>desk
>some form of electrical lighting

who would do that

Backlights behind monitors help your eyes from constantly dialation strain

>speakers

Much better than headphones in most situations.

>mechanical keyboard

Much better than regular keyboard.

>lighting

Keeps your eyes unstained and helps set the mood.

If you live in an area with much noise pollution wearing headphones with noise cancellation can protect hearing.

Why wouldn't they? You know not all mech keyboards are clicky right?

How is noise pollution even real?! Like nigga close the window like just shut your door lmao

>tfw got a cheapo studio desk
>my monitors are all taking up space
>speakers are in the way

kill me

In my world Monitors mean both the screen and the speakers

/end blog

t. kansas farmhand

This. Unfortunately the retards on this board would consider something as simple as lighting and ergonomics as "bloat" and "gamer shit"

Nah i’m an urbanfag.

I'm a speaker fag, but sauce? If you're listening at safe, sensible volumes why would headphones be harmful?
Having to wear headphones all the time is uncomfortable and inconvenient, speakers are also more natural in presentation for music imho. Also, without speakers, what do you do if you want to show someone a video at your PC? Hand them your headphones?
As for the mech keyboard, some of us don't like the feeling of gumboots every time we press a key. They're just so much more satisfying to type with, particularly if you don't fall for the (((Cherry))) meme.

Attached: 1487494412463.jpg (450x532, 62K)

>speakers
Fuck wearing headphones all the time
>mechanical keyboard
I type often, it makes sense to get a keyboard I like to type on.

t. notebook poorfag

i guess speakers are cool if you don't know anything about high fidelity audio

Attached: 1541139385145.jpg (1280x720, 77K)

dont..... mess... with.... gamers....

(You)

Attached: 1469313916869.png (777x687, 256K)

I got tinnitus and I blame it on wearing earphones 10 hours a day when I was at college. Would listen to podcasts, not even loud. I have tinnitus now and my hearing probably isn't 10/10 even without the tinnitus. I also notice wax builds up much faster when wearing IEMs. Dunno if that's a good thing or a bad thing, because when I give up on IEMs for a while my ears feel noticeably dry, probably not enough wax - I assume some wax is good for protecting the inner ear.

>been wearing earbuds for 8+ years 24/7
>got my hearing tested earlier this year
>I'm literally close to borderline deaf

holy fuck you might be right. I have to have my volume turned up to 70% on my android phone to hear all the thumping and the beats of music.

I hope you don't qtip your ears

>headphones
>earbuds
cats are dogs

How can this many people on Jow Forums be retarded enough not to realise OP, in all his infinite faggotry, is making fun of the concept of buying expensive speakers to hear high quality audio and then combining it with a keyboard designed to be as loud, annoying and generally disruptive as possible when used. Thus defeating the whole purpose of getting something capable of providig good sound while using the computer.

No, really. You guys are idiots.

based realist poster

>a keyboard designed to be as loud, annoying and generally disruptive as possible
>No, really. You guys are idiots.
Nobody types the ENTIRE time they're using their PC. Also, not all mechs are loud, and even if it is, if you're listening to your speakers at any kind of decent volume it's going to drown the keyboard out pretty easily. What a dumb, uninformed opinion.

Attached: Max couldn't make sense of it..jpg (422x422, 48K)

based and redpilled

Attached: model.webm (640x900, 1.82M)

Where did you hear this bullshit? Hearing loss is caused by volume, not by method of listening.

there's no "save sensible volume" with a sound source that's like 1.5cm from your eardrum.
t.listening to safe sensible music volume gave me tinnitus

t.led manufacturer shill
how much does phillipps pay you?

>high fidelity audio
aka people who ignore biological realities. unless you're a 14year old with a shitton of money all audiophile stuff is wasted on you because your ears naturally aged to be too bad to hear the differences between consumer grade and audiophile hardware

r*ddit

spacing

fuck off and swallow a razor blade

>/end blog
Where do you think you are

>Would listen to podcasts, not even loud
that's the thing. "safe" volume with head/earphones is so low that you wouldn't hear much because it should be at around normal ambient noise level to be "safe".
earphones will always fuck up your hearing. I learned that the hard way as you: always took caution not too have he shit too loud. still got tinnitus. then did some research and yeah, headphones are something you better use only ever weekend for 30 minutes.

>complaining about spacing

Does it confuse your programming or something?

Attached: NPC.jpg (430x441, 18K)

oh there he goes with the epic NPC meme.

>sound source at 2cm vs 1.5cm from eardrum
>absolutely different
kek. headphones are even worse because they have more powerful speakers.

Don't buy shit speakers, if you can't drown out the sound of cherry browns with speakers you need a bigger amp and less poorfaggotry

that's something a npc would say

>there's no "save sensible volume" with a sound source that's like 1.5cm from your eardrum
But why? audiorecovery.com/blog/do-headphones-increase-your-risk-hearing-loss It sounds like people are just listening too loud for too long and not thinking about the actual Db.

This, I switched to speakers when I noticed I had tinnitus. It hasn't worsened since then.

>doesn't know sound pressure and intensity decrease over distance
A speaker right next to your ear will be more damaging than a speaker further away even at the same volume.

>doesn't know sound pressure and intensity decrease over distance
It's almost as if headphones are really, really quiet and they rely on proximity to deliver their sound levels or something...
I'm happy to be proven wrong, just provide a source that shows at equivalent sound pressure that headphones are more damaging than speakers.

noiseandhealth.org/article.asp?issn=1463-1741;year=2003;volume=5;issue=19;spage=69;epage=73;aulast=Williams
medicine.stonybrookmedicine.edu/surgery/blog/headphones-and-earphones-can-cause-permanent-hearing-loss-what-you-need-to-know

Wow you just described a standard PC environment and accessories. Good job OP, you're progressing.

Attached: 1507078056361.png (657x539, 110K)

Congrats, neither of them say anything about headphones being inherently more damaging than speakers. It's simply the case that people more commonly crank their headphones to damaging levels than they do with speakers, so just listen to headphones at healthier levels and they're just fine. Quote from one of the articles you linked:
>At 95 dB, damage will occur after four hours of exposure per day.
>At 100 dB, damage will occur after two hours of exposure per day.
>At 105 dB, damage will occur after one hour of exposure per day.
>At 110 dB, damage will occur after 30 minutes of exposure per day.
>At 115 dB, damage will occur after 15 minutes of exposure per day.
>At 120-plus dB, damage occurs almost immediately.
If you can't tell you're listening too loudly at 95+ dB for extended periods then you're a retard who deserves to lose their hearing.

Attached: 1470031290626.png (337x367, 257K)

>Sound at 85 dB or below is considered safe

Attached: 1541893218368.png (688x720, 349K)

But 80db is not loud at all, is it?
My doctor told me that, you should rub your fingers next to your ears. If you can't ear the sound. Earphones are probably too loud.

Other than the stupid lights, what's wrong with speakers?

Yes, there is, dumbass.
Being close makes no difference. It's still just air virbating in your ear. Only volume makes a difference.

And that directly correlates to volume.

80-85 is plenty loud as far as I'm concerned. industrialnoisecontrol.com/comparative-noise-examples.htm
>80 dB: Garbage disposal, dishwasher, average factory, freight train (at 15 meters). Car wash at 20 ft (89 dB); propeller plane flyover at 1000 ft (88 dB); diesel truck 40 mph at 50 ft (84 dB); diesel train at 45 mph at 100 ft (83 dB). Food blender (88 dB); milling machine (85 dB); garbage disposal (80 dB).

I hop you're rubbing your fingers against your skull and not each other, because that's what he meant.

Not to mention you can crank it safely into the 90s on occasion when you have a real banger on hand, it just shouldn't be your normal listen level.

you're forgetting:
>wireless monitor
>wireless speakers
>wireless keyboard
>webcam
>gaymur shit and aesthetic
>basedfield 1
>meme monitor

>implying hearing loss is bad
Looking at my dad, being unable to hear high pitch noise must be a bless
Like a filter for anoying shit and distortion on old tvs

You know sound intensity is based on the inverse square law right? The intensity will drop exponentially the further from the sound source. Headphones will always be more damaging to your ears because the transducers are closer to your eardrum. Let's ignore the alarming rate of young people experiencing hearing damage after the introduction of earbuds. Let's also ignore radio announcers experiencing the same hearing loss as construction workers even though they work with much lower volumes.

Enjoy your tinnitus several years from now, don't say I didn't warn you.

Because not everyone lives with Mommy or is too poor to afford a place on their own and can enjoy turning the speakers up loud and clack clack clack all night long

>Is independent
>Stays up all night listening to music on his computer
Pick one

>Being close makes no difference.
So being close to a running turbo jet and standing a mile away makes no difference?

If you have earphones and speakers at the same perceived volume then there is absolutely no difference. They're much closer to your ear but they're also much quieter. The hearing damage epidemic is because if you normally had your speakers up loud enough to damage your ears then you'd probably get a stern talking to from anyone in close proximity to your shitty music. With headphones you can have them as loud as you want and other people generally can't hear them.
If you're sensible and keep the perceived volume the same as you would a normal pair of speakers then there is literally no difference. If you think there is, I'd like to see you provide some more rigourous mathematics than just "the inverse square law dude". Please demonstrate the difference in energy delivered to the eardrum by headphones to speakers at the same perceived volume level. I'll wait.

He's making the point that being far away from a loud turbojet and being close to a quiet jet with the same perceived volume will be just as "damaging". Headphones are absolutely quieter than speakers but the proximity to your ear makes up for it giving you the same perceived volume and same amount of damage

What said, I want to see some kind of study that backs up your claim.

>everyone just hits "ok" on the volume warning with headphones plugged in and cranks it anyway
rip ears

I'd love to see you retards try and peddle this shit on /sci/, you'd get BTFO in an instant

To be fair that volume warning is fucking retarded. It's far too quiet in most cases, and your phone doesn't actually know the specs of the headphones you have connected. You could have very high impedance phones plugged in and it would give you that stupid warning despite the volume being far too quiet. Thank fuck it only asked me once.

wtf i wanna betray the white race now

Volume warning pops up regardless of headphone type. If you're wearing headphones that seal you can keep the volume lower, but if you're wearing non-sealing headphones then raising the volume to match your surrounding won't be any more damaging.

80db measured at the ears is 80db regardless of if it's coming from a speaker or headphone.

A speaker at 80db, measured at the speaker, is going to be lower in volume when it reaches the ear. The further it has to travel, the more energy it loses on it's way to the ear. This seems to be where your stupidity is coming from.

Whenever I get surprised at how someone could so blatantly misinterpret something like
did I remember that there are unironic flat earthers on this site

synapse.koreamed.org/search.php?where=aview&id=10.3349/ymj.2009.50.6.771&code=0069YMJ&vmode=FULL#F7

>Subjects listening to music using speakers were found to have means and hearing levels at 4 kHz in the left (5.6 ± 4.1 dB and 5.0 ± 6.0 dB, respectively) and right ears (5.2 ± 3.7 dB and 1.9 ± 2.6 dB, respectively) that were significantly lower than those of subjects of using earphones or headphones (Fig. 7).

>These findings indicate that the use of earphones or headphone has a greater impact than the use of speakers in the development of hearing disorders. Hearing thresholds of juveniles who used MP3, cassette tape, and CD players were similar, whereas hearing thresholds of students who used computers were significantly lower. The superior hearing in the latter is likely due to their listening to music using speakers.

Attached: ymj-50-771-g007-l.jpg (418x329, 56K)

Again that doesn't state that headphones are inherently more damaging if used at the same perceived volume levels. What you're describing is caused by people listening to the headphones at a HIGHER perceived volume due to factors like

>same perceived volume levels
Good luck measuring something subjective like that lol. Also on the subject of perceived volume, if you claim to listen to low volumes with your headphones that may not always be the case because the perception of loudness is altered after hearing loss.

>good luck measuring something subjective like that lol
Literally fucking measure the dB level at the eardrum instead of at the sound source you dumb retard

>measure the dB level at the eardrum
I don't think you know what perceived loudness is.

>Guys, they're buying $100 Chinese headphones to listen to music and memes on Youtubes instead of the $1000 amplifier+sub+speaker setups our company pushes. What do we do?

>idk, it 'causes cancer?

>Nah, too obvious...

>HEARING LOSS!

>...oh! How about we say headphone use causes tinnitus? My wife's son has that cause the little nigglet has bad allergies and fucked sinuses since Tyrone didn't teach him to wash behind his ears or how to use a q-tip when he had him.

Headphones will always be superior to speaker setups simply due to noise isolation and cancellation. Getting the same quality and coverage with headphones costs a fraction of what a amp/sub/monitor set up of appropriate quality will.

>/sci/

Attached: 1541779706878.jpg (1024x576, 54K)

If you're going to be a pedantic faggot about it that's fine, it doesn't change the fact that the dB level AT THE EARDRUM is the only thing that matters in terms of hearing damage. If you keep this constant by simply lowering the volume as the distance decreases then the hearing damage doesn't change.

Are Cherry keys really a meme?

I pick both. I work in a hospital on the overnight shift, so on my off nights I'm up all night to keep my sleep schedule. Own my own condo, paid for, as well as my car, and have a $247k/yr salary and I usually go to bed when the sun comes up

I suppose you think Jow Forums, a board full of trannies posting their Win10 battlestations and artisan keycaps, is more suited to answer a scientific question?

So it seems, so it seems.

Even though they literally can't wrap their heads around the concept of something being inversely proportional to something else?

w-whats wrong with q-tipping?..

>wireless keyboard
no it's not

>mouse
>monitor
what are you people even thinking?

>backlight matches whats on the screen
so fucking gay

So it seems, so it seems.

Attached: 5136.jpg (655x480, 67K)

>case window
Why do people do this?

Attached: gamer washing machine black.png (750x1000, 311K)

Increases the frequency of ear infections by removing the wax and exposing the skin beneath, drying it out and allowing bacteria to remain, rather than being slowly swept away by the slow flow of wax.

They're pretty overrated, I wouldn't go as far as to call them bad, though. Their mediocrity is the standard because these days it's most people's first mech, and they accept them out of ignorance of what else is out there.

The perceived level is normally different between headphones, speakers, and even little earphones. The tactile sensation commonly used to set the audio level is not present with smaller devices that do not immerse you in a field. Consequently, subjective reports would usually indicate a disparity in level, even if the measured drum response is identical.

OSHA guidelines are overly conservative as far as high fidelity goes. The (bare) requirement used here is to not damaging enough to be overly difficult to recognize speech.

Sound pressure follows a 1/r relation only in the far-field.
Near-field use does not. Radiated power tends to decays faster.

May cause wax impaction if you just shove it in. Hydrogen peroxide can help with loosening excess cerumen.

>OSHA guidelines are overly conservative
Overly generous.

Use open headphones, faggot

by having literally any standards whatsoever

this, but I just have a standard warm desk lamp lighting up my wall. It's fucking amazing

this. Grado for life.

Ah good, an authority fallacy! Classic /sci/ territory.

i've been using 5+ q-tips a day for the last 15 years and have had zero infections
>if you just shove it in
the people who use q-tips are using them in the first place because they enjoy gently caressing their ear canal and scratching at the itch caused by the slightest amount of ear wax generating

Well considering the majority of posters in this thread have demonstrated an alarming lack of knowledge in how pressure waves actually propagate, I'd put my trust more in /sci/ than any user ITT